[Wildlife/creature] Swamp Rat

Travista

Okay, apparently swamp rats already exists;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_rat

I never knew there are swamp rats in real life, so I shall drop this idea, apologies on not researching before posing...

lmSCN0H.jpg

beaver-credit-dave-hughes.jpg

The Swamp Rat

(This will not be playable and only used for RP, sorry for ripping off beavers, I'm Canadian...)

Physical description:

These little buggers are native to Athera and are a small rodent like creature that dwell in swamps. They are similar in appearance to rats, however they have orange teeth, wide, flat tails, webbed feet, water proof fur and are generally a little bit larger, reaching the size of a cat and weighing roughly 15-30 pounds once fully grown.

Habitat:

Swamp rats, as their name suggests live in swamps and although more rarely, on the banks of slow flowing rivers. They make large dens for themselves on the banks of murky swamp water that are sometimes connected with a small burrow. They will make their dens out of anything they can find, typically grasses, sticks and mud, they are even rumored to make large, elaborate wooden dams, though they have never been seen to dam off anything bigger then a stream.

Diet and Behavior:

Swamp rats have a fairly simple diet, only feasting on twigs, bark, grasses and sometimes aquatic plants like lily pads. Swamp rats tend to give birth one live young at a time, they mature in about 4 years and stay with a partner until they die at the age of 20, though they have been known to live up to 30 on rare occasions. They are typically a peaceful animal, preferring to retreat back to the safety of murky swamp water when threatened, though if cornered or their young are at risk they will fight, using their 2 inch teeth to fend off the intruder.

Predators:

They have no natural predator, besides the odd wolf that wonders through a swamp, however they are heavily hunted by the descendant races, their fur is highly valued for its water proof values, their meat is tender, firm and juicy and their musk is used as perfume by some orcs. Their population has declined greatly since the races discovered Athera.

Well, that's it, feel free to comment feedback, hope this gets accepted, really no reason to not have swamp rats in LotC, I got a swamp and nothing that lives in it... D:

@Petals

They add something for Shreck to fling at you from his loincloth that won't get him banned for ERP.

If you stuck one of these babies in your loincloth you wouldn't be reproducing anytime soon, Swamp Rat is the name of a sand rat my character uses to carry messages/pms :p

Sounds cool, but what would their use be? Like, how would they contribute to rp?

You could do a handful things with them, you can go hunting for them, you could sell their fur/musk and you capture one and sell it or something of that nature.

If we ever get moved to 1.8, you could rp the rabbits as swamp rats.

I like this idea, something small yet still pretty cool. +1

10/10, also It could be something like a bird, you can use it to send messages or something like that

Irl animals can be used in rp without lore. Thought writing lore for them doesn't hurt.

Irl animals can be used in rp without lore. Thought writing lore for them doesn't hurt.

Oh.... ermmm..... well, swamp rat > beaver