[Magic Idea/lore] Cryomancy Official

xDK

I don't think this should be implemented. Water Evo is water evo. Ice evo is part of water Evo. What you are doing is exactly the same as an earth evocationist wanting to keep certain types or dirt or rock as a seperate subtype. No thank you. I have the exact same opinion as Dohvi on this one. -1 from me.

I don't think this should be implemented. Water Evo is water evo. Ice evo is part of water Evo. What you are doing is exactly the same as an earth evocationist wanting to keep certain types or dirt or rock as a seperate subtype. No thank you. I have the exact same opinion as Dohvi on this one. -1 from me.

I'm sorry to put this to you then, but Cryomancy is already a part of the server. It's just not the way I want it to be, right now it's merely a title to those who use ice evocation instead of water evocation (Both Hydromancers). This is just a way to split these two apart, saying that "Water-evocationists can still freeze water to ice." and "Ice-evocationists can create ice."

I can understand if you thought that this seems elitist, but really, it's just a way to "officially" call something Cryomancy.

I know that cyromancy is part of the server. I have done if for about the same period of time as Dohvi, if I am not mistaken. I don't, however, believe it needs to be made into a full seperate subtype. Hydromancers can still create ice directly, as can 'cyromancers'. What you are doing is limiting things too much.

Basically, a cyromancer is a fancy name given to characters of people who use only the ice part of their water evocation. This does not make them different, and shouldn't make them different.

Edit: and yes, water evocationists can indeed evoke water in its gas form.

Perhaps you didn't read it, but I specifically said that Hydromancers still are capable of creating ice.

Hydromancers aren't able to evoke water in all forms, not in gas form atleast.. (off topic)

Yeah, it says they can still create it, in the way you think they should. Why should I have to change the way I RP, just because you want to feel like your magic is special? Summoning ice directly from the void has been a thing since way back in the MAT days and changing that to a seperate subtype sounds like an unnecessary complication.

And Yes they are able to evoke it in its gas form. Just because basically no one does it, doesn't mean it's not possible. The MAT back in the day decided water wasn't as useful in its liquid state as most magics, so at tiers 4 and 5 one could delve into ice and steam/mist. Nowadays, they just have to find it in that form and study it.

Wait, so you aren't simply explaining to people what it is, but attempting to make it, it's own thing? See, therein lies the problem. The magic is a part of water evocation. Yes it's ice, but ice is still water. When water freezes, it's a phystical change. It keeps all of it's traits, but now it's simply in it's solid state. Ice is not any harder to evoke unless you learn liquid water first. If you learn ice first, then it's easy. The misconecption that ice is harder than the liquid form of water appears to be why this is here.

But what does this do besides divide up Hydromancy? People who study snow and ice instead of water are able to conjurate Ice much easier I believe.

Like the many others, I see little reason personally to divide up water evocation.

This isn't necessary and would be a wasteful further subdivision of the already far too numerous magic types which the LMs just got done recategorizing.

Further bluntness:this seems to be a not so subtle way of dividing your character's personal magic expertise into its own subcategory right as the new magic system is released.

Unfortunately if this lore is doing anything it is restricting what is already a widespread form of magic. There are a couple hydromancers that only do ice because it is what they know culturally (being raised in icy landscapes) and is what they learnt. It would also be possible that a sorcerer attempting to evoke water drops only evokes snow because of their prior understanding or emotional state.

There might be merit in creating a divide between water and ice in terms of number of magic types learned. But there isn't really any restriction on how many magic types you can learn, so it doesn't achieve anything. The only goal I can see from this is to stop random hydromancers from evoking ice. Which they probably already do.

If any specification should be made (IMO) it is not to make separate lore (though perhaps a guide for how to do ice could be helpful as clearly there are slightly conflicting ideas) but to identify it as an advanced technique. Many magic subtypes have advanced skills. Ice is definitely one for water evocation, but perhaps that hasn't been clearly stated.

Unfortunately if this lore is doing anything it is restricting what is already a widespread form of magic. There are a couple hydromancers that only do ice because it is what they know culturally (being raised in icy landscapes) and is what they learnt. It would also be possible that a sorcerer attempting to evoke water drops only evokes snow because of their prior understanding or emotional state.

There might be merit in creating a divide between water and ice in terms of number of magic types learned. But there isn't really any restriction on how many magic types you can learn, so it doesn't achieve anything. The only goal I can see from this is to stop random hydromancers from evoking ice. Which they probably already do.

If any specification should be made (IMO) it is not to make separate lore (though perhaps a guide for how to do ice could be helpful as clearly there are slightly conflicting ideas) but to identify it as an advanced technique. Many magic subtypes have advanced skills. Ice is definitely one for water evocation, but perhaps that hasn't been clearly stated.

Finally, atleast you understand the concept.

Why not just keep hydromancy it's own thing and let cryomancy be a cool IC style/technique/name for this type of water evocation. That would be the much cooler way to go about this in my opinion.

EDIT: Also, it seems like some folks think that maybe hydromancy is weaker than some of the other evocations because water just ain't as potent of an element? That's hogwash. I remember some neato spells that came from Cruz's water evocation character waaaaaay back in the day that could still be done post-removal-of-tier-five-overpoweredness and not be, ya know, overpowered. It's certainly the most versatile evocation.

A dude hit me with a wave, and then followed it up with.... you got it, another wave. Yeah, uh, if we were fighting, he probably would of killed me.

A dude hit me with a wave, and then followed it up with.... you got it, another wave. Yeah, uh, if we were fighting, he probably would of killed me.

Yeah okay... Screw it, I'll make a bloody guide..

Guides are helpful, just make it super great and not 1/8.