[✗] The Degradation of Aurum

Swgrclan

Having inquired to two holy orders (one of which my main character is heavily affiliated with as a Cleric) whether or not they'd participate in this kind of thing (assistance and blessings and what have you), and having seen the mass of gold weaponry used against us through two years as a Wraith, I can safely say a lot of my claims here aren't assumptions and presumptuous of how things actually work in the game. If this pulls through and shows that you are actually true in the fact that holy orders are ousted as snowflakes and are not sought for assistance, it is not a flaw of the prospect or lore, but of the players. I don't want a dependency to come about from this change, I want tie folks together better and prevent the evil side from being assblasted every time they seek to enact their plots. Removing what prevents that invites regular players and communities to try to include holy and arcane-oriented groups more because, yes, they're as vital of aspects to the server as any other group are. Trying to cut them out of the picture and disregard their purpose by claiming "we shouldn't need them to defend ourselves" as others have claimed is... well, incorrect, really. This isn't a server where communities are split into their own cliques with their own rules. Everything has use and relevance. 

And don't worry - your feedback is much appreciated!

I can understand that holy orders wants this but that's not my concern. My concern is the normal people, that don't have any means to defend themselves if this goes through, no holy order can be there when it happens unless we go back to the ward issue that I don't want to see happen again. Oh well..good luck with this.

Having inquired to two holy orders (one of which my main character is heavily affiliated with as a Cleric) whether or not they'd participate in this kind of thing (assistance and blessings and what have you), and having seen the mass of gold weaponry used against us through two years as a Wraith, I can safely say a lot of my claims here aren't assumptions and presumptuous of how things actually work in the game. If this pulls through and shows that you are actually true in the fact that holy orders are ousted as snowflakes and are not sought for assistance, it is not a flaw of the prospect or lore, but of the players. I don't want a dependency to come about from this change, I want tie folks together better and prevent the evil side from being assblasted every time they seek to enact their plots. Removing what prevents that invites regular players and communities to try to include holy and arcane-oriented groups more because, yes, they're as vital of aspects to the server as any other group are. Trying to cut them out of the picture and disregard their purpose by claiming "we shouldn't need them to defend ourselves" as others have claimed is... well, incorrect, really. This isn't a server where communities are split into their own cliques with their own rules. Everything has use and relevance. 

And don't worry - your feedback is much appreciated!

I can understand that holy orders wants this but that's not my concern. My concern is the normal people, that don't have any means to defend themselves if this goes through, no holy order can be there when it happens unless we go back to the ward issue that I don't want to see happen again. Oh well..good luck with this.

My character Aegor before he became a Tahariae Cleric back in the day smashed Liches to pieces with fire-evocation or a ferrum longsword. Boom, crunch, shabam, dead. It's completely achievable outside of holy orders. 

Gold shouldnt insta kill. Gold should be the ONLY way to harm them. Now that would be interesting.

# WITCHER

I've actually been either present or fighting at some of the recent events you had done in Laureh'lin, and it felt like every non-aurum weapon did this...

[!] The ferrum sword had no effect.

[!] The blow from the weapon does nothing.

[!] The zombie/wraith/whathaveyou ignores the strike.

This would be a fair conversation to have if you actually were treating conventional weapons normally. However, it seems you've already decided lore-wise that normal weapons mean nothing and gold weapons are where it's at. Now gold weapons are to not work? I'm not saying these events weren't fun; they were and I enjoyed them very much, and if you had another one set up for the Grove today, I'm sorry server troubles made us miss it. But it seems to me we've already assumed conventional weapons aren't worth a damn in the undead fight.

Also, in the last fight at the Grove, with your two wraiths and one zombie, we had 3 fatalities and multiple casualties otherwise. Any druid present was too drained to even open the roots for us non-druids, our olog died from his wounds, and many of us were rendered unable to fight for several (non-elven) days. I don't think any of us really came out of it unscathed. We had a lovely, brutal funeral afterwards, along with some medical roleplay. It was overall a pretty fun event and you promoted a lot of good RP with it. But if we couldn't use aurum blades, even with the cleric that was at our aid, we would have been massacred, and we even heavily outnumbered you.

My character actually does have a golden weapon at his disposal, a xiphos.

"The xiphos is a double-edged, one-handed Iron Age straight shortsword used by the ancient Greeks. It was a secondary battlefield weapon for the Greek armies after the dory or javelin. The classic blade was generally about 50–60 cm long, although the Spartans supposedly started to use blades as short as 30 cm around the era of the Greco-Persian Wars."

This was solely for the purpose of protecting himself from unholy creatures, because for the last fourty in-character years, he has served the Adherency of Immortui, as well as some branchings off that formed after it's destruction. His reason is legitimate, and well, at the time he actually had a salary to invest in such decadent weaponry.

To be honest, I just felt like I needed to explain my reasoning for possessing such a thing.

But if we couldn't use aurum blades, even with the cleric that was at our aid, we would have been massacred, and we even heavily outnumbered you.

Not a cleric! Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee`eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I've actually been either present or fighting at some of the recent events you had done in Laureh'lin, and it felt like every non-aurum weapon did this...

[!] The ferrum sword had no effect.

[!] The blow from the weapon does nothing.

[!] The zombie/wraith/whathaveyou ignores the strike.

This would be a fair conversation to have if you actually were treating conventional weapons normally. However, it seems you've already decided lore-wise that normal weapons mean nothing and gold weapons are where it's at. Now gold weapons are to not work? I'm not saying these events weren't fun; they were and I enjoyed them very much, and if you had another one set up for the Grove today, I'm sorry server troubles made us miss it. But it seems to me we've already assumed conventional weapons aren't worth a damn in the undead fight.

Also, in the last fight at the Grove, with your two wraiths and one zombie, we had 3 fatalities and multiple casualties otherwise. Any druid present was too drained to even open the roots for us non-druids, our olog died from his wounds, and many of us were rendered unable to fight for several (non-elven) days. I don't think any of us really came out of it unscathed. We had a lovely, brutal funeral afterwards, along with some medical roleplay. It was overall a pretty fun event and you promoted a lot of good RP with it. But if we couldn't use aurum blades, even with the cleric that was at our aid, we would have been massacred, and we even heavily outnumbered you.

There is a reasoning behind a majority of this, however.

1.) Ghouls and Zombies are undead, and therefore are incapable of feeling anything, emotional and physical. (Remember, the Undead will never love you back.)

2.) Wraiths possess a heavy resistance to normal weaponry because they are semi-corporeal. It's the same logic as beating a beanbag with a wooden stick. It won't do much, but it will break eventually.

Not a cleric! Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee`eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Even with the guy with the shiny gold lights, then?

That works, Paladin/Keeper does as well.

There is a reasoning behind a majority of this, however.

1.) Ghouls and Zombies are undead, and therefore are incapable of feeling anything, emotional and physical. (Remember, the Undead will never love you back.)

2.) Wraiths possess a heavy resistance to normal weaponry because they are semi-corporeal. It's the same logic as beating a beanbag with a wooden stick. It won't do much, but it will break eventually.

I acknowledge that's what's going on without a doubt. A creature with dead/no nerve endings shouldn't experience the same sort of knock-back or shock as a creature with very-much living ones, without a doubt. But that's another tip to consider.

After quite some thought put into this and discussing it with people, I support this as I believe change is in the air for once.

I'm still confused why people keep saying they will be helpless without gold. You won't be helpless, you will just need to find a character capable of alteration (holy or otherwise) to bless/enchant your blade. It promotes roleplay. Sure, it'll take longer, but eventually, blessed/enchanted blades will become more common, and those do just as much damage as gold. You will just need to do RP to acquire them instead of mining. Their only downside will be the fact they need to be recharged.

No, we are not exclusive special snowflakes. At least, the clerics aren't. I've put in a lot of work to change that stereotype. We've accepted every person who has come to join us, and we've never refused help, at least in the past four months or so. I can guarantee that coming to us for magic taint-purging blades won't be met with rejection because we are an exclusive VIP-only group. Unless you're rude af, you won't have difficulty with that.

Instead of rendering Aurum useless, perhaps just allow it to have the effects of an Iron sword on a monster (look to the Witcher games as an example)

Steel hurts normal everyday folk,

Aurum works like steel on monsters/wraiths/whatever bad mamojama is coming my way

Or just let the marked men do their job???