[Fixes Made][Lore Clarification] Clash of Light and Dark

Mephistophelian

I love this, everything that has to do with this. Yes please, I love you Mephistophelian. You're my new favorite fruit.

I can dig this, far better written than half of these other lore pieces.

On 25/12/2015 at 10:30 PM, Mephistophelian said:

I had the same thought, but the LT begs to differ. This is a correction to my previous thought. More a clarification, so that T4 Light mages cannot claim to be able to beat T5 Dark mages, which they should not.

That's effectively stating no Tier 4 Light could defeat a Tier 5 Dark, no matter what. It depends on the magic, and how it's used, and how the other uses their magic in the combat; Tier 4 Light, per say, can defend, and steadily fight against a T5 Shade although the Shade would have the advantage, the Tier 4 Light still has a possibility of winning. Shade would be pretty bad against a Paladin albeit would fair better in a fight against a Cleric.

1 hour ago, Tsuyose said:

That's effectively stating no Tier 4 Light could defeat a Tier 5 Dark, no matter what. It depends on the magic, and how it's used, and how the other uses their magic in the combat; Tier 4 Light, per say, can defend, and steadily fight against a T5 Shade although the Shade would have the advantage, the Tier 4 Light still has a possibility of winning. Shade would be pretty bad against a Paladin albeit would fair better in a fight against a Cleric.

Ah, I totally didn't intend for it to seem like that! I'll edit it to clarify that a T4 light can, indeed, hold their own against a T5 dark.

Thanks for the feedback :)

On 12/25/2015 at 5:18 PM, Mephistophelian said:

When both mages are T5, the power of either is now measured in the amount of time the Mage has practiced said magic. If both are equal, the light shall win (in power) as per usual, but if the dark Mage has had their magic for longer, they shall win (in power). Note that this is not a fallback system.

I find this part in a bit of a sway in favor of those that have had the magic a lot longer. While yes, that would make sense, it is however at a terrible disadvantage because say one that studies as a paladin and has spent a while to finally reach tier 5, they would still never be able to have a chance to beat the tier 5 dark mage that happened to learn their magic first. An example here for what I am saying, is an Asulon dark mage going against an Athera paladin. Both top tier yet the paladin from what you are saying in this lore, would lose (in terms of power) because they happened to not be around longer than the dark mage. 

A question I would like to ask as well, how would one know what tier someone is (in terms of power) given tiers are not actually used in the magic system, only in guides? Especially in a battle between a light and dark user? I for example come across a dark arts user I do not even know nor when this person became one, how would I know what tier this person would even be at?

I still hold the position that darkness should have the advantage. Sure, light exists to only fight darkness, but I think that is the fault of lore as it is never a good idea to define a singular goal for a character like that, especially if it is easy to actually do. Anyway, light has the advantage of generally being lawful. They aren't foe to a great majority of characters. They generally aren't automatic foes to nation-states. They generally will not be attacked by suspiciously brave berry pickers. They aren't bound by the 'Villains exist only for you to win have fun' mindset that's mentioned in the rules. After all, aren't most light users (forced) apart of an order? You wouldn't need an order if your subtype has an inherent advantage? To me, it seems to backwards to stick the thumb to the characters that are guaranteed to provide conflict, the bread and butter of a story, as well as justify an entire opposing set of characters (light). I'm sure there are some pretentious users who find simple evil characters to be so far beneath their sophisticated and nuanced RP, but still at least throw them a bone. Make it a little more reasonable for a villain to do bad things.

On 1/11/2016 at 4:51 PM, Delmodan said:

I find this part in a bit of a sway in favor of those that have had the magic a lot longer. While yes, that would make sense, it is however at a terrible disadvantage because say one that studies as a paladin and has spent a while to finally reach tier 5, they would still never be able to have a chance to beat the tier 5 dark mage that happened to learn their magic first. An example here for what I am saying, is an Asulon dark mage going against an Athera paladin. Both top tier yet the paladin from what you are saying in this lore, would lose (in terms of power) because they happened to not be around longer than the dark mage.  Thus me putting in the words 'This is not a fallback system'. For any who don't understand these (admittedly) vague words, it means that the parties involved CAN use this system IF they want, but it is NOT a system to fallback to. Instead, the PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED one is used, where the T5 dark mage is beaten (with struggle) by the T5 light mage.

A question I would like to ask as well, how would one know what tier someone is (in terms of power) given tiers are not actually used in the magic system, only in guides? Especially in a battle between a light and dark user? I for example come across a dark arts user I do not even know nor when this person became one, how would I know what tier this person would even be at? We use guides with a similar system, so it must be easy enough to understand that players can apply it, too. Of course, Tiers are not a 'set' thing, but it is the easiest means to describe power levels without making a whole new, alien system of my own. If you have a better idea of doing so, I will use it :)

On 1/12/2016 at 8:13 PM, zaezae said:

I still hold the position that darkness should have the advantage. Sure, light exists to only fight darkness, but I think that is the fault of lore as it is never a good idea to define a singular goal for a character like that, especially if it is easy to actually do. Anyway, light has the advantage of generally being lawful. They aren't foe to a great majority of characters. They generally aren't automatic foes to nation-states. They generally will not be attacked by suspiciously brave berry pickers. They aren't bound by the 'Villains exist only for you to win have fun' mindset that's mentioned in the rules. After all, aren't most light users (forced) apart of an order? You wouldn't need an order if your subtype has an inherent advantage? To me, it seems to backwards to stick the thumb to the characters that are guaranteed to provide conflict, the bread and butter of a story, as well as justify an entire opposing set of characters (light). I'm sure there are some pretentious users who find simple evil characters to be so far beneath their sophisticated and nuanced RP, but still at least throw them a bone. Make it a little more reasonable for a villain to do bad things.

I hold the same view as you, if truth be told. This is me trying to throw the dark mages a (little) bone to gnaw at.

Or rather, this is my second try :)

Well look, I may be dramatic with my post, but it isn't /bad/. Just, it isn't my specific ideal. I think it's acceptable, but rather I'm using your thread as a soap box.

23 hours ago, zaezae said:

Well look, I may be dramatic with my post, but it isn't /bad/. Just, it isn't my specific ideal. I think it's acceptable, but rather I'm using your thread as a soap box.

I'd honestly prefer if we could go with my original idea (which is pretty much like yours), but it was denied, and I do not want to bother the LT with a repost of exactly the same lore.

Currently being reviewed.

Expect an official response from the LT within a week.

Unfortunately the lore team has denied this lore. But feel free to shoot me up with a PM if you have any questions.

Moved to denied lore.