[✗] Clarification on orcish blessing

__WaterFox__

Allright, so I've been playing for maybe four or fives years now and in that time a problem has gone on since then. Orcish honor. Now some would argue with me that 'Oh! It's a brutal sort of cultural honor honor!" to which I say no, they were BLESSED with honor for a reason. As we all know, Iblees had cursed Krug and all his descendants with the deep desire to kill things. Okay, so that does support the habit of orcs to go raiding halfings, but they were blessed with honor to curb that right? Yes, it is irrefutable that orcs were blessed with honor to CURB their blood lust. So how does honor do that? Definition below

Spoiler
  1. 1a :  good name or public esteem :  reputationb :  a showing of usually merited respect :  recognition <pay honor to our founder>

2. 2:  privilege <had the honor of joining the captain for dinner>

3. 3:  a person of superior standing —now used especially as a title for a holder of high office <if Your Honor please>

4. 4:  one whose worth brings respect or fame :  credit <an honor to the profession>

5. 5:  the center point of the upper half of an armorial escutcheon

6. 6:  an evidence or symbol of distinction: asa :  an exalted title or rankb (1) :  badge, decoration (2) :  a ceremonial rite or observance <buried with full military honors>c :  an award in a contest or field of competitiond archaic :  a gesture of deference :  bowe plural (1) :  an academic distinction conferred on a superior student(2) :  a course of study for superior students supplementing or replacing a regular course

7. 7:  chastity, purity <fought fiercely for her honor and her life — Barton Black>

8. 8a :  a keen sense of ethical conduct :  integrity <a man of honor>b :  one's word given as a guarantee of performance <on my honor, I will be there>

9. 9plural :  social courtesies or civilities extended by a host <asked her 

2.            Okay, so the orcish blessing in another word is integrity or they are someone with good merit. Well how does that play against blood lust? It's quite simple, it just limits what orcs kill or maybe (if you want to get creative) /how/ they kill. Now for some examples of what I am trying to say: An orc sees a much larger human male holding up a defenseless female, so his blood lust rages up and his honor blessing gives him the okay to dispatch the honorless man. An orc walks through a halfing's village and nothing happens, it's hardly honorable to slaughter something that has little to no chance. A strong opponent challenges an orc and they fight to the death, still perfectly okay. A NATION shows no honor ( I don't know, they spit on the rex or just saunter about like an arrogant child) so the orcs declare war. An orc takes a slave, then does not beat the crap out of them so long as the slave does not disrespect the (albeit forced) relationship between master and slave. An orc beats the crap out of a dishonest gambler for cheating him out of money, again his bloodlust rose up and honor said it's okay.

3.     So sorry for the messy post, but I am sick of orcs seeming to pay no heed (or outright say they don't care about) honor. I get the whole thing about /other/ orcs being bloodthirsty creatures, but this is lotc not Dungeons and Dragons.

Please, if you're going to post on the comments then do it in an orderly and fashioned manner.

This seems sloppy and not really thought out. All I see here is a complaint against orc RP, instead of an actual lore proposal that is meant to offer a solution to the problem.

I suggest you re-work the entire post and come up with an actual system that you believe would help. Also, you should consult with the orc LMs, hellfiazz and ilikefooddude, before trying to modify an entire race.

Edit: I do see the examples you provided, but it's not a fully drawn out system and is vague at best. If you plan on changing an entire race's RP and way they do things, it shouldn't be with something as loose as this. Otherwise people will just loophole away with whatever they were doing before.

That being said, I do not support lore that inherently modifies an entire playerbase's RP that isn't proposed by the playerbase/has the backing of a lot of their population. Seek the opinion of actual players who have orc characters and gather feedback before submitting something like this.

T'was about to edit it.

Regardless, here's my input: After asking around I found out why you made this. There was an instance in the halfling village, right? Well, the halflings are affiliated with the wood elves, and as of late, some orcs have been killed on the road merely for being uruk. Thus, an IC hatred of welves and all whom are under them has stemmed. They, regardless of this lore - which I've never even heard about  - will kill anyone who they see as a hindrance.

No, Orcs are Orcs, they're not "honorable" grey knight barbarians. They also have distinct values and their own concepts of "honor".

Orcs are mean and have no honor since they will not bend the knee to Oren.
They should be sent to work camps too to beat Orenian honor into them.

26 minutes ago, Wûd said:

regardless of this lore - which I've never even heard about 

It's in here http://lotc-wiki.wikidot.com/wiki:the-ancient-history It's the server's ancient history lore about where the four main races came from. To be honest, I'm very surprised to see an orc player who didn't know that orcs are supposed to be blessed with a sense of honor. Each of the four main races has a blessing and a curse. You'll find them listed near the end of this story, which every orc used to know IC'ly. This is the story orcs teach their children, and it's the story that fuels the Orcish sense of racial superiority.

28 minutes ago, Catarrh said:

It's in here http://lotc-wiki.wikidot.com/wiki:the-ancient-history It's the server's ancient history lore about where the four main races came from. To be honest, I'm very surprised to see an orc player who didn't know that orcs are supposed to be blessed with a sense of honor. Each of the four main races has a blessing and a curse. You'll find them listed near the end of this story, which every orc used to know IC'ly. This is the story orcs teach their children, and it's the story that fuels the Orcish sense of racial superiority.

Before they could complete the sentence, Iblees stood tall for one last time.

"And you Krug, the most hated of The Descendants, you shall always have the lust of war. You are strong? Well the strength shall be used against your brothers, used to pillage and murder! Your lust for battle shall be unsatiated and your descendants shall grow ugly and heartless.”

---

The robed figure stood before the four brothers.

Krug, may your people show valour and honour where none exist.

-

This is the blessing and the curse. The orcs were blessed with honour and valour. This means that they wouldn't betray or backstab, I guess.

On this subject, what is the blessing that was placed on the humans? I do not understand it

2 minutes ago, Bogrin said:

On this subject, what is the blessing that was placed on the humans? I do not understand it

Humans were blessed with an afterlife or something, iirc.

Allright, so the halfing situation. They didn't really do anything right? So you have no reason to kill them asides from they are living on elven land, which still isn't a good exscuse. Now if you were to take the halfings then demand reparations for the fallen orcs, that would be something quite interesting and very orcish in my opinion. Then assuming the elves don't pay, those bastards didn't protect the people who trusted them? Kill them! Then maybe make halfings your slaves, serfs, whatever.

Going further with what Catarrh said, what if orcs see themselves as superior because they are the only race that is totally honest? The rest of those lying fools are descendants of our father's kin so we should show a degree of respect to them,but if they cross us then they will be taught to know better.

Orcs don't just have to greedy murderers, they can have a bit more depth.

To be honest, my orc doesn't really consider halflings people. They're walking talking soup mix to her. But that's just how she was brought up.

4 minutes ago, MegRawr said:

To be honest, my orc doesn't really consider halflings people. They're walking talking soup mix to her. But that's just how she was brought up.

Malog is a proud father.

I think everyone can agree that there is no honor in killing Halflings, but I could see Orks doing it for wealth/supplies.

Lore under review.