[Shelved]Clericalism: The Divine Warden

Pandan

Just now, SquirtGun said:

I often(never truly) see a battle where Five clerics can play ring around the rosey with a bonfire, remain undisturbed, allowed to sing Koombiah, and unleash such a spell.

Probably because this is not accepted lore yet so they would have no reason to.

14 minutes ago, Adam_barnett said:

Probably because this is not accepted lore yet so they would have no reason to.

I often(never truly) see a battle where Five clerics can play ring around the rosey with a bonfire, remain undisturbed, allowed to sing Koombiah, and unleash such a spell.

This implies that from past experiences and looking forward the ability to utilize such spells in combat seems to be few to non-existent.

22 minutes ago, SquirtGun said:

What counts as an 'elder cleric'?

How does an 'elder cleric' learn the ways of wardenism?

While the spells do look cool, I don't really see much of an RP setting there some of the larger ones could ever be used. I often(never truly) see a battle where Five clerics can play ring around the rosey with a bonfire, remain undisturbed, allowed to sing Koombiah, and unleash such a spell.

The elder cleric was more a part of the lore, in reality this serves as an entirely new line of clerical magic. Hosper and I would take upon teaching roles and teach it to those that ask, etc. 

Regarding the second point, I'm actually looking for more functionality within the ways of spells. So if you've any recommendations say so!

Edit: The five men-battle spells are more there for large end-of-days events, if you understand. Not just your everyday battle. 

Might my old Yuan Mystic lore have had any affect on this creation? Kek I like it. I actually would be interested in learning it if it's accepted. 

Just now, BrandNewKitten said:

Might my old Yuan Mystic lore have had any affect on this creation? Kek I like it. I actually would be interested in learning it if it's accepted. 

It did! Actually, that was my inspiration for the water aspect of it. 

Huh.

Clerics might not be a laughing stock in my eyes anymore if this passes.

I really like the whole designated area/structure based magic spells. They feel like they'd be very opportunistic when it comes to creating RP. Really hope to see this go through.

Two things added;

Flowing Atonement
Two Clerics; high skill.
Within the presence of the waters, the healing capability of a priest is enhanced drastically, wounds become healed quicker and under less strain. (( 20x20 around the isolated pool )).

Burning Entrapment
Two Clerics; high skill.
Taking use over an unusual circle of fire; the flames blocked any entry in or out of its centre. With this any figure may be locked within, the unholy and cursed becoming harmed should they defy their cages will. (( Does not negate 30 minute prison rule, may be presumed either the sun went down or sunwell became cut off. ))

Please continue to submit your feedback and suggestions! 

This is very cool. I like the aspect of having it be set-up before hand and unable to be moved. Making clerics more location based fighters. Neato. +1

6 hours ago, Pandan said:

Burning Entrapment

Two Clerics; high skill.

Taking use over an unusual circle of fire; the flames blocking any entry in or out of its centre. With this any figure may be locked within, the unholy and cursed becoming harmed should they defy their cages will. (( Does not negate 30 minute prison rule, may be presumed either the sun went down or sunwell became cut off. ))

The idea of new spells with more ritual based significance actually seems cool! More of an addition to spice things up rather than the bland bulbous orbs of light. However, I am irked with the mentioned above. How long does it take to cast this and how accurate must the clerics be? For example, a spectre is attempting to whisk itself off as two clerics charge behind. Would they suddenly be able to both focus on the same area and cast a fraction of the circle to block the being and then finish the rest of it? Or would they need to remain still and focus on the exact area that the ring would be cast around?  I'm worried to hear of a situation in which two clerics attempt to cast it within seconds to block someone that's already moving off. 

4 minutes ago, _mkkk_ said:

The idea of new spells with more ritual based significance actually seems cool! More of an addition to spice things up rather than the bland bulbous orbs of light. However, I am irked with the mentioned above. How long does it take to cast this and how accurate must the clerics be? For example, a spectre is attempting to whisk itself off as two clerics charge behind. Would they suddenly be able to both focus on the same area and cast a fraction of the circle to block the being and then finish the rest of it? Or would they need to remain still and focus on the exact area that the ring would be cast around?  I'm worried to hear of a situation in which two clerics attempt to cast it within seconds to block someone that's already moving off. 

As its classified as high skill, it not only requires the fire to be setup but also several lines of prayer. This isn't a quick thing. 

I think that's one of my issues with clericalism compared to the other magics. The lengthy prayers needed to do virtually anything.

Most combat is just instantaneous. I've seen paladins whip out mist and create shields and swords from thin air without any need for emoting. I've seen Dark Mages shoot out tendrils from their body with ease and able to manipulate shadows in a snap.

Where as to connect to the Cleric's light, lines of prayer are required to even start connecting, and then clerics are encouraged to do even more lines.

It just makes for very inefficient and unfair playing field when it comes to combat, especially when combat skills are still lack luster.

Its why I've always believed Clerics should be more defensive/purifying circle/shielding from darkness/stand your ground type of fighter. Where Paladins are more offensive and run at things, Clerics do best remaining behind on their home turf where they can have purified circles, enchantments, blessings, shields, wards, etc. that makes it a very poor idea to fight a Cleric on their land.

to be honest i could see a lot of use from this "difficult to cast and requires planning" magic in terms of traps, etc. It would require planning and tactical genius as opposed to slash-and-dash

I can also see a lot of event applications (not necesarily to make them special snowflake heroes in event, but to make them important support characters who are busy casting spells to weaken/hold off the enemy while normal chars can do the actual killing)

I like it, I like it all- HOWEVER!

The pool with magic power idea is a bit ripping off Muun' magic tbh

2 hours ago, Fury_Fire said:

I like it, I like it all- HOWEVER!

The pool with magic power idea is a bit ripping off Muun' magic tbh

Actually Pandan stated it took inspiration from this piece of thrown out lore of mine 

The thing I like about this lore Pandan has written up is it gives quite a bit of power but a single player will have a hard time alone. This propels the magic into a collaborative state where new spells could come into play but rarely will they be OP. From reading it feels balanced without overcomplicating the negatives. ^_^ I supoot

EDIT: Can a person use multiple types of clerical magic? Would this mix with any of them?