The forums have been updated to IPS Community Version 4.2.2 - We're still working on improving the theme for everyone to enjoy so please hang tight. We will also hopefully have new features soon to share with you all.

Welcome to The Lord Of The Craft

We're currently the #1 Minecraft Roleplaying Server, fitted with custom plugins, a unique crafting system, custom character cards and an incredibly active and passionate community; We're serious about Roleplay and we're always eager for new faces!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ski_king3

Activity Project (late) July Update!

16 posts in this topic

GM Activity Project

Links

[/spoiler]

The Old Methodology

The Data

6/30 - 7/10 (Initial Post)

7/11 - 7/17

7/18 - 7/24

The New Methodology

[/spoiler]

July and Onward

Hail friends of Malinor! I know it’s been a while, but I wanted to give you all a bit of an update on what’s been going on with the GM Activity Project. I’m sorry that it’s been over two weeks without a post, but I fell behind a bit on last week’s post and decided to lump that one in with the larger monthly post I was doing, and include the data from the first week of August as well.

If you’re unfamiliar with the project, I encourage you to read our methodology (we have a new one, linked above). However, the simple explanation is that we want to document activity data and make it available to players in order for them to more easily find roleplay.

Since this update is going to be a bit different, we’re going to have a bit of a different format. We’re going to start with a section on weekly data for the two weeks covered in this update, followed by few sections for data covering the entire month of July. Following that, there will be some month long analyses, and then some updates on changes with how we’ll be doing things from now on. Also, I'm putting everything in spoilers because this is already a ton of stuff.

Now, on to the data...

The Data (7/25 - 7/31)

If you took a moment to read the document linked earlier, you’ll know that we marked down any region that had 5 or more people in it consecutively. For the sake of this project, we will consider that to be “active.” I know it’s a bit arbitrary, but the line had to be drawn somewhere, and we think this is a good threshold.

The following locations were found to be active on over 75% of our checks between July 25th and July 31th.

-marbrandfief (Haense)

-orccapital (San’raakh)

-norlandisland2/island_highelf1 (Norland, combined because they’re the same settlement, previously 25%+)

The following locations were found to be active on over 50% of our checks between July 25th and July 31th.

-enchantryguild (The Enchantry)

-welvescapital (Linandria)

-warhawkeland (Leyu’celia)

-veris (Veris, previously 75%+)

The following locations were found to be active on over 25% of our checks between July 25th and July 31th.

-mardoncapital2 (Auguston, previously below 25%)

-mardonfief3 (Aven, previously below 25%)

The following locations were found to be active on at least one of our checks between July 25th and July 31th.

-helvescapital (Haelun’or)

-dwarfsettlement1 (Tal’Ardoth)

-welfsettlement2 (Metz)

-courlandduchy2 (Veldin/Castell, no activity last week)

-dwarfcave (Jornheim)

-guilddragur (The Library of Dragur)

-ponzan (Ponzan?, no activity last week)

-asterleigh_rock (Santegia, no activity last week)

-mordskov (Mordskov?, no activity last week)

-stedmondsbay (Stedmond’s Bay?, no activity last week)

-pigbugalow (???, no activity last week)

-mcdruids (The Wandering Grove)

-snelfcity (Velaris)

-adherents (The Adherents of Tahariae, no activity last week)

-holyleague (The Holy League, no activity last week)

-dwarfcapital (Kal’Omith, no activity last week)

-suticacapital (Sutica, no activity last week)

-houzi (???, no activity last week)

-saviniaduchy (???, no activity last week)

-arcadia (Arcadia)

-hariacapital (Haria, no activity last week)

-orenfief12 (???, no activity last week)

On average, approximately 53% of players were found in regions with 5 or more players in them (the remaining percentage including spawn, staff members in the build world, etc.). There is no change from last week. An adjusted percentage (not counting players outside of Tahn, Ceru and Asul) is 56%. There is no change from last week.

On average, approximately 54% of players were found in regions with 5 or more players in them when 100 or more players were online. This is a decrease of 2% from last week. An adjusted percentage is 56%. This is a decrease of 2% from last week.

On average, approximately 72% of players online were in Tahn. This is a decrease of 7% from last week.

On average, approximately 4% of players online were in Ceru. This is an increase of 1% from last week.

On average, approximately 12% of players online were in Asul. This is an increase of 1% from last week.

The Data (8/1 - 8/7)

The following locations were found to be active on over 75% of our checks between July 25th and July 31th.

-welvescapital (Linandria, previously 50%+)

The following locations were found to be active on over 50% of our checks between July 25th and July 31th.

-marbrandfief (Haense, previously 75%+)

-orccapital (San’raakh, previously 75%+)

-adelburg (Adelburg, no activity last week)

The following locations were found to be active on over 25% of our checks between July 25th and July 31th.

-norlandisland2 (Norland, previously 75%+)

-veris (Veris, previously 50%+)

-warhawkeland (Leyu’celia, previously 50%+)

-guilddragur (The Library of Dragur, previously below 25%)

-mcdruids (The Wandering Grove, previously below 25%)

The following locations were found to be active on at least one of our checks between July 25th and July 31th.

-dwarfcapital (Kal’Omith)

-mardonfief3 (Aven, previously 25%+)

-helvescapital (Haelun’or)

-ponzan (Ponzan)

-houzi (???)

-adherents (The Adherents of Tahariae)

-courlandduchy1 (

-dwarfsettlement1 (Tal’Ardoth)

-holyleague (The Holy League)

-imperialfort (???, no activity last week)

-mardoncapital2 (Auguston, previously 25%+)

-dwarfcave (Jornheim)

-hariacapital (Haria)

-suticafief1 (???, no activity last week)

-mardonfief2 (???, no activity last week)

-phoenixgrove (The Phoenix Grove?, no activity last week)

-inemholands (???, no activity last week)

-zingrove (The Zin Grove?, no activity last week)

-calethia (Calethia, no activity last week)

-arcadia (Arcadia)

-highcliffe (Highcliffe, no activity last week)

-suticacapital (Sutica)

On average, approximately 56% of players were found in regions with 5 or more players in them (the remaining percentage including spawn, staff members in the build world, etc.). This is an increase of 3% from last week. An adjusted percentage (not counting players outside of Tahn, Ceru and Asul) is 61%. This is an increase of 5% from last week.

On average, approximately 58% of players were found in regions with 5 or more players in them when 100 or more players were online. This is an increase of 4% from last week. An adjusted percentage is 62%. This is an increase of 6% from last week.

On average, approximately 78% of players online were in Tahn. This is an increase of 6% from last week.

On average, approximately 4% of players online were in Ceru. There is no change from last week.

On average, approximately 10% of players online were in Asul. This is a decrease of 2% from last week.

July Activity

If you want to understand how we figured out these rankings and are up for some confusing math, @Esry made a solid explanation of how we got these. But basically, we weighted each week that a group was active 25%, 50% or 75% of time based on how many checks per day there were during that period, how many other active settlements there were during that period that met one of those benchmarks, and then of course which of those benchmarks they hit. There are a lot of different ways we could have done this, and most get more or less the same results.

1. San’raakh - The capital of the War Nation of Krugmar, San’raakh has proven to be one of the most consistently active settlements throughout the month of July. Particularly active during European activity times, it seems to owe its activity to a mixture of orcs, kharajyr and snagaz. While this is the orcish nation, it’s benefited from having a variety of people present, and will hopefully continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

P3hTluh.png

1. Alban - Alban is the capital of the Kingdom of Haense, tied with San’raakh as the most active settlement in July, this city has been host to regular human roleplay throughout the month. While many outsiders eventually flocked to it, the settlement started as little more than wooden walls and a couple buildings. Yet activity persisted and the city came to flourish, likely aided by the choice to do a great deal of the building without LC, allowing for roleplay to continue in the central areas while expansions were added to the sides.

lR1Bblq.png

3. Linandria - The seat of the wood elves and the Dominion of Malin, Linandria has continued to be a hub for elven activity. While it is a host to others at times, it seems to benefit the most from the depth of wood elven culture, a great deal of its activity seeming to stem from guards and druids working within the culture. Even when the server has but a smattering of people, you can almost always find an elf sitting upon the tree in Linandria’s square.

5ogWKQG.png

4. Veris - Next on the list is Veris, a city that only recently received nationhood. Yet due to the diligent work of some of its leaders, Veris has prospered as a hub for roleplay. Its only real hits were taken at times when its leadership were focused on expansions to accommodate its ever growing playerbase. Yet even then, Veris has proven that there’s demand and a benefit in hosting well-run, non-racial cities.

QNZihl2.png

5. Norland - Norland has had some hiccups, mostly due to the purchase of LC, yet it’s fluctuated as one of the chief hubs of activity on the server. It is an island nation predominantly made up of humans, offering an alternative for those seeking a different type of human roleplay.

SYoa6KT.png

6. Leyu’celia - This city is home to the Warhawkes, a group of tribal dark elves that has become an active enclave for their sub-race. It started to take off toward the middle of the month, proving itself as one of the most active settlements. Whether it be fighting monsters or playing games, there’s usually something fun going on in Leyu’celia.

O3yBejt.png

7. The Enchantry - The Enchantry is the only guildhall to make this list, hosting many a mage within its walls. The Enchantry has grown as a hub for magical roleplay, whether it be research, teaching or simply just hanging out with other magical folks. You might have a bit of a harder time reaching it now though, ever since it literally took flight.

uJMlf5H.png

8. Ponce - The last of the human settlements to make the list, Ponce is the home of a new group known as the Daelish. Though in July they were host to a large number of people, predominantly humans, you can at times see some others coming to visit this smaller settlement. Hopefully it will continue to prosper for the foreseeable future.

9krkSIz.png

Other July Data

These are really just some nice graphs, courtesy of Esry. If you have any thoughts on additional ones we should do in the future, let us know!

H9e46LH.png

qYjY0Jt.png

X28QRUH.png

July Conclusions

As per usual, I want to make some broader conclusions here. The biggest one, however, is simply that the server has gotten more active over the course of July. At the start of the month, the server rarely exceeded 150 players online, whereas by the end of July it was regularly breaking 180, and at times (though never during our checks, unfortunately) exceeded even 200 players. Likewise, we’re seeing more and more players online later at night (American night), to the point that the server almost never really empties out. This is a pretty substantial change.

Another trend for July is basically that Tahn is king, hovering between 70% and 80% of activity throughout the month. While that isn’t where all the roleplay exists, a number of different groups are pretty active spread out along the largest isle.

And lastly, I think after doing this for over a month, it’s become pretty clear that these things fluctuate a fair bit. Groups that are very active one week drop dramatically the next, and that’s not too unusual. It’s probably not a super exciting conclusion, or one that’s particularly profound, but it is one nonetheless, and one that folks should keep in mind when trying to judge a location’s overall activity.

Project Revitalization

After a little over a month of work on this project, I found some issues I wanted to change, as well as some additions I wanted to make based on how we will be using this project in the future. Most of these are pretty small, like also recording the number of players at spawn at the start of each check, warping to nation capitals at the end of each check to ensure they were not overlooked (which is an 11% chance when 225 players are online if there are exactly 5 people, decreasing by almost half with each additional person), and a few other minor logistical changes. Most of these are pretty minor, but I would encourage you to read our updated methodology linked at the top.

Additionally, I’ve decided to clear the group of GMs working on the project in order to get a smaller group more focused on getting these checks done. Since close to the start I’ve had 5 or so staff members officially working on the project, but not all of them were particularly consistent with how frequently they performed checks. My hope is that following this clearing of the project, I should have a group that proves a bit more focused on our performance.

And lastly, there was a two day break in gathering data while I was working on these updates, so there will be no activity data for August 8th and 9th. From now on, weekly cycles will start on Thursdays and end on Wednesdays as a result.

Directions via Imgur

So you might have noticed that in the data posted, the region warhawkeland was hyperlinked to this imgur album. From now on, I will be allowing people to submit imgur albums of a similar format that could be used to lead someone from spawn to their region in question, which I will then hyperlink in a similar fashion when the region is listed as active in future posts. However, I will only do this if it proves to actually be useful, which I will test by giving it to a player who has never been to the region before and seeing if they can find it.

Two Instead of One

In future activity posts, rather than showing any region which is found to be active at least once, I will not show regions unless they are found to be active at least twice. A large portion of the regions that don’t make the 25% bar actually only ever show up once in activity checks, information that isn’t particularly useful to players, and makes RP look more spread than it is. This is a pretty minor change, but should cut off a lot of one-offs.

Conclusions

Thank you all for bearing with me, and for being supportive of this project. It’s taken a great deal of time to pull together, and a bit more to work on fixing it, but I do appreciate the support. Likewise, I hope this sort of bigger update thread was valuable. In the future, it should hopefully be three weekly threads and then one that covers the month, on time, at the end of the month.

If you have any feedback (beyond me being more timely!), feel free to send it my way and I’ll be more than happy to take it into consideration. Hopefully this has proven helpful!

And as always, special thanks to everyone who helped me with this. It's not an easy thing, and I couldn't have done it without all of you.

Good stuff (y)

4 minutes ago, Esry said:

hallelujah

rep her too she helped a **** ton please. rep her even if you didn't rep me.

where's the helf party outpost points

Too many ******* settlements.

5 minutes ago, Magicpastry said:

where's the helf party outpost points

it didn't exist yet for when these checks were done it'll be in the next one

4 minutes ago, Ford said:

Too many ******* settlements.

ok ford we heard you the last 27 times jeeeeeze

Great job Ski! Very thorough and useful data for both my team and the community. 

51 minutes ago, ski_king3 said:

You might have a bit of a harder time reaching it now though, ever since it literally took flight.

Heh, I see what you did there.

34 minutes ago, fighting evil by moonlight said:

thanks dad

How many parents do you have?

1 hour ago, ski_king3 said:

rep her too she helped a **** ton please. rep her even if you didn't rep me.

you're too nice

1 hour ago, fighting evil by moonlight said:

one mom, infinite dads

also, @Esry deserves a promotion

:)

@Harrison

These checks don't mean anything there has been lots of action in the dwarves the past two week so and they aren't represented at all, there were even a number of days when there was stuff going on from mid day GMT to 2am in EST in the dwarves and nothing

8 minutes ago, Fimlin said:

These checks don't mean anything there has been lots of action in the dwarves the past two week so and they aren't represented at all, there were even a number of days when there was stuff going on from mid day GMT to 2am in EST in the dwarves and nothing

this.

I don't understand these checks, you have 

3 hours ago, ski_king3 said:

The Data (8/1 - 8/7)

but then listed under it is this

3 hours ago, ski_king3 said:

Is this a mistype? its under the 8/1-8/7 but it says this.

useful information would be having a log presented of when these checks were done because as fimlin said, dwarves were on from 8/1 - 8/7 from mid day till 2-3am. 

If 92% of players were on Tahn, Asul, and Ceru where was the other 8%? CT?