The forums have been updated to IPS Community Version 4.2.2 - We're still working on improving the theme for everyone to enjoy so please hang tight. We will also hopefully have new features soon to share with you all.

Welcome to The Lord Of The Craft

We're currently the #1 Minecraft Roleplaying Server, fitted with custom plugins, a unique crafting system, custom character cards and an incredibly active and passionate community; We're serious about Roleplay and we're always eager for new faces!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Man of Respect

How to increase player retention as a player

19 posts in this topic

We call player retention as when we can keep a new player in the server, but we can barely keep ourselves in the server.

In order to keep yourself and other players entertained, you can do a couple of things that you're absolutely not obliged to do. I'll be listing them in a simple and brief manner in this post.

1. Gather people in your region and invite them to do something cool.

In Anthos, there was this guy named VonAulus that brought me and patato12 if I'm not wrong, to build this small roadside fortress. I was such a newbie at the time and only helped raising walls for it, but it was such an enjoyable experience that everyone could do. In the end, the fort came out pretty good. We didn't use any sort of schematica, just our hands. You can also invite people to do something completely random, such as giving them iron axes and going out in the woods to harvest materials for a specific build. Come up with something and create an event that doesn't requires an ET in your region, or very little bureaucracy at its best.

2. Evaluate people for everything they do and promote their roleplay qualities as workers or minor things.

Ask a man that claims to be "strong as a bear" to carry around some boxes for you, which are shipments that came from Sutica. Have him pick it at the docks and chat with the man strong as a bear as he carries the boxes around. If he's a new player, invite him for a drink in the tavern and disregard the hood on his head, have him do something and then later on the day, roleplay as saying that "he's a good gardener" for example. Or "he's a good jeweler". Just refer to them as good when they do absolutely anything that their character is good at.

3. Never send people off, interact with them first.

The end of the map nears and we don't need to kill a hooded aspirant that is brother to Ganbalf, the master of all mages. If you kill a potential player, he'll likely not return and not recommend the server to his friends, which can kill off one or two applications from the server. When people recommend stuff, it goes a long way; if you recommend the server to a friend and he likes it, he'll tell maybe two or three other players that might join him and can stay in the server. You might sometimes see people saying "I'm XXXX's friend, hello", and these people are good blood mostly. Killing Ganbalf would likely not even start this chain of reactions.

Your intentions also never can be related to killing people and telling them to /d40, specially if they're a new player to the server. No, its not because "I don't want this person here" that you'll outright send a new player off. We need to guide the new players while we keep ourselves constantly enjoying our premium roleplay experience on Lord of the Craft and create a less toxic behaviour...

tell me if you want to add or contest something, thanks.

45 minutes ago, Man of Respect said:

Your intentions also never can be related to killing people and telling them to /d40, specially if they're a new player to the server. No, its not because "I don't want this person here" that you'll outright send a new player off. We need to guide the new players while we keep ourselves constantly enjoying our premium roleplay experience on Lord of the Craft and create a less toxic behaviour...

I agree, telling someone to /d40 just because you killed the person in roleplay is wrong... Just let them ss instead, makes it more fun for all of us. Especially those that either are the victims of villain ropeplay or are the villains in roleplay. Don't encourage pixel harvesting... encourage roleplay instead! 

I salute your wise words, 

We need more People like you on the server to Help promote such and has a good understanding what fun there can be. o7

Sandk1ng for Admin. Then he can play us beautiful guitar songs during community meetings.

I'll still tell Oreners and Druids to /d40. Learned my lesson that being a nice guy that tells 'em to SS instead gets you jack ****, i'd rather not be nice to someone that doesn't return the gesture.

@Man of Respect

2 hours ago, MissToni said:

I agree, telling someone to /d40 just because you killed the person in roleplay is wrong... Just let them ss instead, makes it more fun for all of us. Especially those that either are the victims of villain ropeplay or are the villains in roleplay. Don't encourage pixel harvesting... encourage roleplay instead! 

That br against Dewlox is exactly why we need to stop being ******* and letting people ss just to be nice to them. If someone really put forth an effort in rp, was cool ooc, didn't make much of a fuss about losing/being killed then yeah I'll let them ss. I won't however, automatically let people ss just because it's the nice thing to do. People need to learn how to accept losing.

A good mindset to get under to help player retention is to think in quests. We all love RPG type games, and the main pulling factor for them is the main quests. So sending new players (and even old ones too) off on quests to keep them entertained makes a goal set for them to follow, where they then feel accomplished for meeting that goal at the end.

The same can be said for yourself, make up quests in your mind that you would like to work towards. I like to set big quest goals for myself (like becoming a noble with a castle or becoming an arch-mage of a magic guild). I often think to myself, "how can I achieve that goal for my character? What do I have to do to accomplish this task?" I will often times make small step-by-step quests/objectives in my mind that will help me work towards my goal of becoming a noble, or becoming an arch-mage. But it doesn't even need to be giant, grand tasks either. It could just be going to go and get clean drinking water, or food for the night, or finding somewhere to sleep. No one roleplays hunger or thirst, or weariness, which bugs me a lot since a lot of people travel from city to city, and that is an exhausting task. So roleplay things like that, which your character would need, and set goals for your character. If you keep these in mind while making a character, or shaping an existing character, you'll find that there's a huge amount of things that you can do on LoTC.

So, to shorten what I am saying, make a grand task for yourself, and roleplay bodily needs. You'll find yourself meeting all sorts of new people on your quest toward this goal. 

2 minutes ago, dsdevil said:

Sandk1ng for server owner.

It's appropriate you're on this thread, you were one of the reasons I stayed on lotc back in 2012. You rarely saw spoogy creatures back in Asulon (at least I didn't), and your lich gave off a real exciting vibe to see because I didn't know really what it was and I wanted to find out more.

Destroy 99% of spooga booga creatures now, their abundance destroys curiosity.

1 hour ago, iMattyz said:

It's appropriate you're on this thread, you were one of the reasons I stayed on lotc back in 2012. You rarely saw spoogy creatures back in Asulon (at least I didn't), and your lich gave off a real exciting vibe to see because I didn't know really what it was and I wanted to find out more.

Destroy 99% of spooga booga creatures now, their abundance destroys curiosity.

"OMFG so sick and tired of these circle jerk cliques that don't let everyone in."

How does spook.

No but srsly, consolidate nation power. Make kingdoms kingdoms again

>powergame extensively in combat

>demand ppl d40 after brow beating them into dying in rp

Anger.jpg