Sign in to follow this  
TarreBear

February Community Newsletter

image1.png

image2.png

The Month of January

Hello Everyone!
    I hope you all had a wonderful start to your new year. This month has been full of many great changes. Staff is currently going through reforms and has made some progress. Change is never easy but if we want to move forward somethings need to change. More information regarding some of the changes can be found below in the Team Updates section of this post. However, this months newsletter is quite an important one because we have a large update for you all regarding 7.0! Please make sure you read through the Notable News thoroughly so you are up to date with all the happening on LotC. 

Notable News

The latest and greatest on Lord of the Craft.

image2.png

7.0 Update - Seventh

Hello all,

7.0 is coming soon and today I’m bringing forward some key details on the land situation. We’ve reflected over the feedback and are just rounding things out now before launch.

Land is certainly a contentious topic for a good reason. It’s a vital resource for any would be group to actually act and roleplay in a non-dependent fashion. It also in our finite maps becomes a highly valued resource. Because of the high demand yet a need for careful distribution finding a good balance can be exceptionally tricky. Our goal isn’t to be too heavy handed with this but we certainly wanted to avoid the messiness of Atlas something I’ve explained before. Since our original announcement we’ve been collected activity data something at this point, I’m sure many have mixed opinions on but it has given us a very good picture over the last few months into what our playerbases look like and the ebbs and flows of groups.  With all of that in mind, there are firstly a few things I’d like to address.

Orcish Land

Since early December, for nearly two months, we’ve discussed the state of one of our core races on Lord of the Craft. One thing is for certain—the Orcs deserve genuine Staff support. They’ve played a key role on our server since Aegis and a huge part in shaping our server history. We will grant the Orc race a 200 by 200 plot of land as a free charter. The land does not include nation status or tile rights—things of that nature will need to be earned as many others have.  We hope though that through other avenues as well such as a strong story focus and cooperating with the Orc leadership to help reinvigorate and reshape Orcish Roleplay.

List of Nations Thus Far

With the above being said, the finalized Nation list is done and dusted at this time.. These groups will receive advanced build placement (I will outline what this means 
further below) and will have Nation Status on 7.0. Each of these Ten groups met and exceeded the requirements outlined for Nation Status on the next map.

Nation-List

• Curon
  • Belvitz
  • The Mother Grove
  • Haense
  • Renatus
  • Aegrothond
  • Sutica
  • Gladewynn
  • Agnarum
  • Fenn

Oceans

1.13 biggest feature was its oceans and at first 7.0 was going to go without due to how everything lined up. Thankfully to the continuing expertise of Kilgrim we were able to selectively add structure generation to the oceans and get some of the cool additions. 

Resource Pits

While we’ve discussed a ton of ideas for resource gathering and placement some of which may still be implemented as time goes forward we decided on a few simple adjustments to our current system that add both quality of life and quash the silliness that is resource island. We decided firstly to move the individual resource pits across the whole of the map with a few for each time of resource. The goal is to place them in regions that are appropriate for each material. The reason there’s several is so they could never be blocked off or solely controlled by a single group or person. Even if one resides in someone else's tile they have their own regions and protections associated with them. We’ve also added things like quartz and prismarine into their own resource pits. Forestry camps will also more or less be the same thing spread around but contained. This will encourage people to see the world more among other things.

Roads

We’d be remiss if we didn’t mention the fact a while back when the road post was made I and few other WDs sat down with the creator of that post and after some deliberation made some changes to the road structures I’d figure you would all like to see the revised map.

Building and Schematica

At the moment of writing this, forge and the many mods that rely on it are still not ready or out. This poses a problem to our original intent with Nation city building. We wanted slow but steady progress from a completely free day one area. This however without tools like schematica becomes truly punishing. This is why if Schematica is not out by the date when we require all builds to be submitted for pasting we will paste the full cities in all 200x200. There are a few limitations such as resource blocks like Iron, emerald, gold, and diamond that will not be pasted in. All inventories will be wiped and any other blocks regularly restricted in LC will also be removed.

Dates

The all important dates for 7.0 and the relevant facets of its launch. 
    February 25th - Builds need to be submitted to me (Seventh) for pasting in
    March 2nd - 7.0 goes live.

More information about the technical side will be released as it comes available.

Vaults & You

This is a very important post for those who are looking to bring roleplay items to the new map. This time around, we’re aiming to cut back on the amount of items that we are taking over and are also looking to filter out outdated/bad items. You can read more about this here: Vaults and You

Creative Cafe

The first quarterly creative cafe will be held on February 16th at 2 pm EST! Come out and share your talents with the community. More information regarding the event and where to sign up can be found here.

Community Meeting

One last community meeting before the release of 7.0 will be this weekend. After reading through these updates and announcements. A post with more information will coming out soon!

agfx4.png

Adminland

Hey guys, it’s Telanir here. I’m gonna be real here, in this past while you don’t really hear from me often—but I want to change that this year. Just last month I wrote out a little warning: we’re reforming the Staff from the ground up. Like I’ve said, at the very bottom of this is an earnest desire to better serve your needs.

And I mentioned that, during the transition, we will be a bit clumsy regarding our duties… but so far so good! We’ve only experienced minor hiccups so far but we do apologize if you were punished out of turn or one of your requests is delayed. We will make sure we correct it.

So, about myself. It’s about time I set aside the fancy Chairman role. It’s not suitable for LotC anyhow and none of us in the community desire a “chairman”. It’s a big meme at this point and I’m content with just being your friendly neighborhood admin.

For you, things will be mostly business as usual. But for the Staff, there has been a lot of change and we’re still working on the reform. For those of you who like extensive and boring reading I wrote two letters on this subject—both can be read like mission statements (one and two). Let me know if you enjoy them.

image2.png

So sort of like an FAQ with the Staff / Admins, we’re going to make two channels in the LotC Discord. First, #topic-discussion, and second, #topic-suggestions. These are an avenue for us to debate and discuss ways that we can improve LotC together where no ideas are unworthy. We don’t have enough active direct channels between you and us—and the more the better!

In the main channel we will discuss one topic at a time—ask any question that you want and we will respond. We will remove off-topic chatter so that we don’t waste your time or ours and get down to the bottom of what you care about.

In the suggestions channel, feel free to include anything that bothers you a lot recently. If we’ve already talked about it before you can still feel free to add it anyway. We may discover something unique and important but we will try to cycle one topic per day.

Right, and we’ll make sure to swat any toxicity so that everybody can be heard. We will prioritize civility but not at the expense of open discourse.

Community Guidelines Violations

Still Telanir here. CGV Appeals haven’t worked out as intended and especially when certain people employ ghostwriters! I’m sad to see my idea go, but I’m ready to give it up for the better.

If we see deliberate patterns of poor behavior in players who don’t break the rules—an Administrator will simply approach you one-on-one to discuss terms.

Magic Reports

We’re going to be taking down magic reports section too and instead streamline them into the Player Report process. We’re going to add category selection in the report format to help with this.

Team Updates

The freshest scoop from the team leaders themselves—learn all you can about your favourite teams.

image2.png

World Development Team

The World Development Team has been working hard on getting the map ready for the upcoming release of 7.0!

Moderation Team

As many of you know, the Moderation Team has been formed which has phased out the GM and FM teams. This has been a great first month for the team and one full of many changes. Currently, the Moderation Team has been working hard getting acclimated to their positions and getting used to their new responsibilities. More information on the changes and the projects the team is working on can be found in the monthly update!

Notice: The Moderation Team is currently recruiting. Apply here.

Application Team

The Application Team has been working hard this month on their projects behind the scenes. Information regarding the team this month can be found here: AT Monthly Update.  This is a special update because it is the last monthly update from the Application Team for the team is being fazed out as well. Many of the members have been accepted over to the Community Team in which they are settling and getting for big changes to come.  More on the team can be found up next!

Community Team

Continuing on with the reforms happening to staff currently, many of you may have noticed that there has been a new team created which is the next step in our process for staff reforms. As you can tell by its name, The Community Team focuses on all aspects pertaining to the community and its well being. This primarily includes being a bridge between the community and staff, advocating for the communities feedback to be looked into and heard by the staff. They also focus on improving and looking for ways to grow the server and its community in a positive manner. In addition, they assist newer players with getting acclimated to the server, handling applications, providing community events and more. More information on the team can be found here: Community Information & Policies

Notice: Community Team is currently recruiting and looking for exceptional members of the community to join the team! Apply here.

Lore Team

This month the LT have been hard getting all the items converted for the transition. More information regarding the team and what has been happening lore-wise this month can be found here: LT Announcement Pt. 8

Game Development Team

The Game Development Team has been hard at work preparing everything for 1.13 and for the map transition!

Event Team

The Event Team this month has been getting ready for the end of the map event! They have been working hard planning and drafting everything out to deliver a great event for everyone at the end of the month! 

Wiki Team

The Wiki Team like the previous teams has been working hard towards 7.0. They have been getting the wiki updated on current events and Atlas Lore update.

Trendy Feedback

Our crack team of gobos compiles, analyses, and critiques our feedback forums for the top-echelon of community suggestions. We’ve picked out some of the most unique, noteworthy, and civil articles from this month.

image2.png

Redemption for Incompetence

This post right here was our hottest topic for this month. It goes over a tough situation the Orc community had been put in and is asking the administration to correct the wrongs done. With that being said, the Orcish community will be receiving land next map as stated above in the 7.0 update as outlined by Seventh. The administration believes it is important that the four main races exist and thrive as they are an important pillar in LotC’s lore. 

Monkey See, Monkey Do

A great post—it covers the underestimated capacity of veteran members of this community to be role-models. Poor behavour will breed the same in new players—but so will excellent behaviour. This post offers us not only a description of one of the problems we face, but in itself, also a solution. This is worthy of a read! The Community Team is working on ways to help promote our beloved Community Guidelines and deter this from happening. More on these projects will come out soon! 

The Player Province

Community Spotlight

Bright, committed, and talented people fill our community. With the community spotlight, we highlight one individual that stands out this month. This player engages the laid-back attitude, charitable spirit, and proactive nature hailed in our community guidelines. For this reason, we congratulate them for their hard-earned achievements!

image2.png

Nivndil

This month’s community spotlight goes to Nivndil. They are a member of the druid community and has a been a member of our server for quite some time. We were interested in what about the druids they enjoyed and how their experience of the server has been. Perhaps this can inspire some to branch out they can inspire some to try to branch out and try something new! 

Interview

Hello Nivndil, we overhear much about your attitude and accomplishments. We would like to highlight you in this month’s community spotlight!

Tell us about yourself and your history here on LotC.

Well, I started LotC in about April of 2015, with a friend. We made our whitelist apps together and when we got into the game, the AT who handled them helped us to find the Druids because I was intent on making a Druid-themed character and didn't understand how magic worked at the time. So I figured she could just start helping out with nature.

That was Athera and I'm sure you know how notorious the Kings Road was for that kind of RP. So I think my first adventure was being downed by Orcs because I didn't realize we had to halt and I didn't speak blah. Then if I recall they tried to cook me alive in a cauldron.

A friend helped me escape and it still makes for an amusing story IRP today.

So I undertook my Dedicancy and was there for the transition to Vailor and the initial uh... let's call it untidiness. After a few weeks, I'd finished my Dedicancy and was Attuned. Shortly afterward I had quite a lot going on irl and the server being what it is meant I couldn't stay for my own well-being. Social took a break and didn't return until February 2018, where I'd seen a few things had changed and I was in a much healthier place to handle them. So I became a Guide and was eventually nominated and voted in as an Archdruid.

I've played the same character the entire time, benefits of an Elf of course, and most of my interaction was with Welves as a playerbase, particularly since returning. I've never been staff, I don't hate myself that much.

I've recently branched out making a little cave dwarf girl too, and she gets a lot of positive interaction, which is so sweet

What is it like being a druid and being a part of the druid community? What do you enjoy about playing a druid?

So this will sound silly maybe, but I like to make characters who are very . Like very this or very that. Nivndil was my "Let's make the most Elven character possible" attempt, and at the time Wood Elves didn't have a lot going on, but it was socially acceptable to be a Druid and I liked that avenue. Again, I didn't really understand how the magic system worked at the time, I just turned up and thought "I'll be the best damn Druid I can be." And in a way it amuses me that Druidism makes you go essentially a little batshit after a while, but for my character to maintain this exterior of elegance and you know, supernatural Elven Grace.

The magic is very beautiful, it's not meant for combat and it's largely utility based. The fact that it's a deity magic with a very strong identity presents challenges too, because we don't just take on people who want their chargey pew pew lasers

So we get people come to us IRP, who we refuse because they just want the magic, and this doesn't work like arcanism or evocation

In a way it's a touch frustrating having to turn people down, but it just is how the Order handles the magic. Like it's even written into the Lord that we can feel when a Druid abuses their Gifts, to prevent IRP abuse.

As a playerbase, well we've got a bit everyone really. We've got Orcs, Humans, Kha, Dwarves and yeah a lot of Elves too. I'm aware that there's a lingering history of the community, but honestly what playerbase doesn't? We're all just nerds role-playing on Mineman, and we're happy to have a few more.

Outstanding Volunteer Award

We present this accolade to an exceptional staff member. We are honored and humbled that they choose our team and our server. And this month the award goes to...

Punisher8817

Punisher is an extremely hardworking individual in our staff. They have always been one to partake in discussions, reaching out to help members of the community and other teammates, and overall always going the extra mile in the work they put forth. This month Pun has done an exceptional job with heavily aiding in the moderation portion of staff reforms, training all members, in addition to coming up with help systems to further streamline moderation verdicts in areas such as blacklist lengths. Due to their hard work throughout their tenure on the GM Team and into Moderation Staff they have been promoted to Manager. This individual is an exemplary member of staff and deserves to be recognized for such. Keep up the good work and thank you for volunteering your time to better the server. 

unknown.png

Top VIP

The truth is that without the funds to cover our monthly costs we cannot support this wonderful experience. I think I speak for all of us when I say, thank you to our wonderful contributors. To the greatest VIP contributor this month we bid our humble gratitude and a spotlight in our newsletter.

OhDeerLord

This individual of the community takes the cake for the month of January with a generous contribution. Their generosity is what helps keep the server up and running for all to enjoy. We thank you very much!

Overall this month has been quite busy and the month to come will be even busier as we prepare to go into the new map. I hope everyone is just as excited as we are. If you have any questions about things coming up, please look out for that community meeting post. Thanks for reading and I hope you all have a lovely February! 

Have fun, take care, and thank you all,

LotC Administration

I had hoped that this newsletter would have brought some clarity to us, which haven’t been provided by @SeventhCircle and others before, but I have to say, this only causes more reason to worry. How are non-nation communities supposed to compete in 7.0,  with the 200x200 pasting of nations in plots with prime positioning and representation everywhere? All while we are expected to now walk around the entire map to grind resources, on top of having to gather 140 000 Minas for the charter and Soulstone. I hope appropriate staff decides to reach out to us and discuss our concerns.

I am really really discouraged about the launch of Arcas. I hope the file gets corrupted or something so we can continue roleplaying in Atlas instead of having to grind.

2 hours ago, Aythyinae said:

I hope appropriate staff decides to reach out to us and discuss our concerns.

Considering also, the High Elf playerbase that reside within Haelun’or are mostly in the European / GMT timezones with scattered amount through EST. Due to how the system of activity is programmed that although the population and activity has been growing steadily we’re going to be hit with a blockade of a mina requirement when in the culture of high elves we have no way to gain such besides extorting goods through other nations to sell as the culture we abide by doesn’t charge weekly or monthly mina taxes. It is obnoxious that now the playerbase as a whole has to resort to grinding to get a substantial amount of mina to get a charter / nation plot instead of role-playing. This would be if we hit nation-status-quota, which again is not in our favor. 

This is just an example of an issue.

Another would be; Resource Pits. Why not keep them at a location with a portal to spawn? This creates an un-needed search and grind for materials when NATIONS are able to get 200x200 plots copied in.

Third reason; What if current listed nations fall under nation-activity-quota from now to the map transfer? Nothing? Still eligible for nation-status?

Fourth, you forgot to add in the teaser trailer in this newsletter. 

Hey so I appreciate some might find it unfair for nations to get a full paste, as stated though that will only happen if the mods builders use arent updated. 

It makes sense as most of the player Base will start in a nation. It focuses rp around those nations. Which is best for rp on the server overall. 

As for the high elves , aren't they allied with gladewynn couldn't a deal be made to receive a little of area until you can save minas for your own settlement ??? 

1 minute ago, Pun said:

As for the high elves , aren't they allied with gladewynn couldn't a deal be made to receive a little of area until you can save minas for your own settlement ??? 

We are allied. Curon is allied with Gladewynn too, no? We have proved ourselves already, we can stand on our own feet with GOOD activity. If we are going to be stuck in the Gladewynn plot for half a year to begin with, we will DEFINITELY lose our unique flair and shine. We have been pushing for a Haelun’or with roleplay to facilitate MORE culture and created concepts made to generate MORE distinction between the High Elves and the rest of the Elves and it has been received incredibly well by our community. If we have abandon this new approach and water down our culture to live with Dark Elves, Wood Elves or basic elves (???) again, all progression will be lost. Gladewynn continues to offer us support and help both OOCly and ICly, and we are happy and appreciate it, but living on their plot is not the way for the High Elves going forward.

11 minutes ago, Aythyinae said:

We are allied. Curon is allied with Gladewynn too, no? We have proved ourselves already, we can stand on our own feet with GOOD activity. If we are going to be stuck in the Gladewynn plot for half a year to begin with, we will DEFINITELY lose our unique flair and shine. We have been pushing for a Haelun’or with roleplay to facilitate MORE culture and created concepts made to generate MORE distinction between the High Elves and the rest of the Elves and it has been received incredibly well by our community. If we have abandon this new approach and water down our culture to live with Dark Elves, Wood Elves or basic elves (???) again, all progression will be lost. Gladewynn continues to offer us support and help both OOCly and ICly, and we are happy and appreciate it, but living on their plot is not the way for the High Elves going forward.

If you genuinely think it is going to take you 6 momths to be able to afford a charter then I don't know what to tell you man. Took me 3 months of hardwork to get the Druids their own nation, doubt it should take you more than one and a half if your citizens are all pulling their weight.

22 minutes ago, Aythyinae said:

It was merely a suggestion to solve your issue in the meantime. Curon is not directly allied with Gladewynn, but as vassals of the Empire. 
I didn't mean to offend, I was just thinking of a way you could have a start in the new map, rather than having nothing. This is something curon had thoughts about as well if we hadn't gotten land and earned our way. Keep in mind Curon paid a lot for their plot, nearly 500,000 minas.

3 hours ago, Aythyinae said:

I had hoped that this newsletter would have brought some clarity to us, which haven’t been provided by @SeventhCircle and others before, but I have to say, this only causes more reason to worry. How are non-nation communities supposed to compete in 7.0,  with the 200x200 pasting of nations in plots with prime positioning and representation everywhere? All while we are expected to now walk around the entire map to grind resources, on top of having to gather 140 000 Minas for the charter and Soulstone. I hope appropriate staff decides to reach out to us and discuss our concerns.

I am really really discouraged about the launch of Arcas. I hope the file gets corrupted or something so we can continue roleplaying in Atlas instead of having to grind.

No, just no. I’m sorry but the nations that have currently gotten their places in Arcas deserve their spots. It’s as simple as that. We need a smaller map with nations closer to cloud temple to be able to drive roleplay. Excuse me for maybe coming off crude, but I genuinely don’t care about your nation if giving you what you want hurts how roleplay fluctuates and spreads through the new map. All I’m going to say is suck it up. If your group constantly works together and keeps the activity you claim to have now then yeah you’ll have your charter and pillar within a month and a half of mina grinding. I don’t know what you think the staff should give you, because if your idea is free land, then ha, no. 

8 hours ago, TarreBear said:

Nation-List

• Belvitz

As a proud Adrian, I must ask for a quick fix to this (Belvitz is the main town of Adria (like how Curon is not the name of their main settlement))

A quick couple question on behalf of the Orc community.

1. A charter entails permission-ed land that people cannot freebuild on, correct?
  2. Will this charter will be activity checked for possible nation status? Little unsure how that all works currently.
  3. Will we be able to pick where we get this charter, or will it be randomly distributed? 

Thanks for any insight!

16 minutes ago, Its_Just_Leap said:

No, just no. I’m sorry but the nations that have currently gotten their places in Arcas deserve their spots. It’s as simple as that. We need a smaller map with nations closer to cloud temple to be able to drive roleplay. Excuse me for maybe coming off crude, but I genuinely don’t care about your nation if giving you what you want hurts how roleplay fluctuates and spreads through the new map. All I’m going to say is suck it up. If your group constantly works together and keeps the activity you claim to have now then yeah you’ll have your charter and pillar within a month and a half of mina grinding. I don’t know what you think the staff should give you, because if your idea is free land, then ha, no. 

An entire community having to grind for a month and a half in order to pay for incredibly expensive charters isn’t something LoTC should be proud of.

6 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

An entire community having to grind for a month and a half in order to pay for incredibly expensive charters isn’t something LoTC should be proud of.

Any other guild or community that didn’t meet the requirements to get land have to do the same. Sucks.

Its not difficult or hard to get mina, quit acting like its something that’s in high demand. 

31 minutes ago, Tuarz said:

A quick couple question on behalf of the Orc community.

1. A charter entails permission-ed land that people cannot freebuild on, correct?
  2. Will this charter will be activity checked for possible nation status? Little unsure how that all works currently.
  3. Will we be able to pick where we get this charter, or will it be randomly distributed? 

Thanks for any insight!

Charters are not freebuilds correct and are regioned. 
There will be a system for nation status coming out soon that will detail how nation status can be acquired.

As for if you get to pick where the charter will be, that is something you will have to speak to @SeventhCircle about.

Hopefully this helped you a bit! 🙂 

24 minutes ago, TarreBear said:

Charters are not freebuilds correct and are regioned. 
There will be a system for nation status coming out soon that will detail how nation status can be acquired.

As for if you get to pick where the charter will be, that is something you will have to speak to @SeventhCircle about.

Hopefully this helped you a bit! 🙂 

Yes, it does help. Thank you!

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the nation status update and make sure someone reaches out to Seventh about specifics.