Sign in to follow this  
Tha_Mystery_Man

[PK] The Thain's Light

jX7ixJuYIUkc0ZXLKwKyTGDam_VIWtSn-Ok81Wh2gm0QSbal_7HVn8GEf8wwj_LUIRs3CD2JJAWH-TaYc2vEVGpJvq6WMQIL0G3Jk7JX3As2C4v5fZUkkRJEXrL60T3Rs2OwXAgy

Rollo Applefoot continues on out of Brandybrook. He walks, he goes on for a long, long trail. He passes by the Druidic Grove, he passes by Sutica, he passes by Aegrothond, he walks and walks onwards and farther. He looks at his reflection in the Angel-Aurum shovel he had found almost half a century prior. The shovel seems to glitter, almost laughing at him but he continues to move. He gets in a boat just a bit farther upstream in the Dinkle River, going in the teeny little dinghy as he steps inside the confines of wood and continues begins to drift down the stream. It takes him past Brandybrook one final time, the Thain looking down at his shovel before he continues downwards… drifting off into the sea.

He figures that he should be judged, he has been called a being of pure disgust as well as a beacon of light multiple times prior, and he figures it is time for him to stop kidding himself. As he tries to ponder though, he coughs up. His hand pulls up to his mouth before crimson blood spews out, landing all over his large mitt…

“It’sah gettin’ worse..” is all he can admit, the man looking as he begins to start seeing double. He feels dizzy before then finally he falls onto his back and looks straight up into the sky. It’s a dark dark night out, the stars flicker in the sky as his eyes squint towards each and every constellation.

About a mile out into the ocean, the Thain can almost hear something large moving about under him. His eyes open wide, albeit weakly, as he recognizes the sound of what is below. “Arugulah an’ Knox, may yeh judge meh tah see if oi’m ‘he man I say I was…” he speaks, coughing up another spike of blood as red liquid drips down his cheek. His eyelids begin to feel heavy, and he simply lets his eyes shut.

He hears the being below him continue to get closer, the large squid that all of the weefolk had spoken stories about drawing near… Soft tendrils of fishy flesh begin to wrap around the boat as Rollo lets out one hoarse final set of words “May I meet Daiseh back up in ‘he golden wheat fields o’ Knox.. an’ may she forgive meh..”

The darkness of  eternal slumber creeps up on the Thain… he would never know how he was judged as he drifts off.

On the beaches nearby the Salty Salmon, Rollo’s Thain shovel would wash up onto the shoreline, the Thain never to be seen again….

Full Moon Reflecting On Ocean by Dimitri Otis

[!] The following paper would be plastered all around that of Brandybrook, for all the weefolk to see.

The Will of Rollo Applefoot

To the halflings of Brandybrook, I am writing this because my days are currently numbered. A sickness has entered my body and I am unable to properly be a beacon of light to lead you all anymore. For the last 5 years I have been mostly gone from the settlement of you all because I have been trying to figure out a way to fix this, but it’s not going to get better. Just like my father, and my grandfather, this is going to slowly eat away at my insides until I am nothing more than a shriveled being of what I once was. I do not wish for you all to witness me going through that transition, so I have decided to go out with the image you’ve all seen me as since my first steps into Dunshire.

Let me say, before I arrived in Dunshire, I was not a completely innocent weefolk like all of you. I spent a large portion of my early life hiding in the woods trying to be someone that I was not, and it lead me down a path of jealousy and greed that I'd find myself plagued with for a large portion of my life. Let me say that my adventurous and rebellious ways all changed because of the community of small halflings that I watched prosper through time. My eyes opened to an actual family, and I soon felt that fluffy feeling within my soul blossom as I worked to try and ensure that my weefolk family stayed perfectly safe throughout time.

Becoming Thain was something that really solidified my want to work for the good of everyone, and helped validate that feeling of being a beacon for the small men of Atlas and Arcas alike… however my time to step down has come and gone. I watched Huckle Honeypot disappear back with the Septemberists, I have watched my children grow old and leave me, I have even watched my sweet Daisy disappear from my life into the wheatfields of Knox, and it is time for me to join her.

Being Thain has given me the ability to be a symbol of hope for halflings all around, being Thain is the ability to sympathize and be a helping hand for the Benardist smallfolk of the realm, being Thain means being an active part of the capital of smallfolk and working to ensure the prosperity of all those around… That is not who Harold Applefoot is. Harold Applefoot’s heart lies within that of the druids. That is who his family is, and even if he won't admit it, that truth is very evident within his heart. It’s why as my final annoucement before my demise, I revoke Harold Applefoot’s right to Thain and give it to the new leader of Brandybrook, and new symbol of hope for Halflings..

Micah O’Connell

Micah has proved to be a heart for the weefolk, and a guide to you all. Though despite having a self conscious feeling within his heart, he has a soft determination and brave soul alike that I have seen in my younger years. He will lead Brandybrook into a good age I am sure, and as a result he also gains that of my Magical Unification Thain Shovel.

Next, I would like to address a few specific people within Brandybrook.

To My Children

Spoiler

To my beautiful children, I am sorry that I have to leave you all. I worked hard to be there for you all when your Mother died, however may I remind you all that you are all strong and old now, you can make it in this world and be whatever you want to be, I promise you all that.

To Benedict Hassenfort

Spoiler

Benedict, I want to first off apologize for this letter may come off as sudden, however I would like to say that I am your father. I was a afraid father back multiple years ago, and I did something I should not have and left your mother all by herself. I don't expect you to forgive me, however I want you to know that you’ve grown and shown the same type of power determination that multiple weefolk have shown. Thank you, I’m very proud.

To Rolando Applefoot

Spoiler

Rolando this is specifically for you, I know you are off somewhere in the realm struggling to become who you want to be. You will find yourself eventually, I promise.

To Rollingo

Spoiler

I know you will probably read this, to you I simply say that I apologize. What happened between me and your mother was an accident, and I hope you become the strong person that I’ve always heard you to be

To My Secretary

Spoiler

Thank you for showing me love after the death of my one and only. You ended up being my one and only true friend coming up to the last few years of my life. Thank you

To Marie LaDuex and Chemi

Spoiler

To the two biggun bloods of Brandybrook, thank you both for doing your best in being protectors and smiling faces for that of the weefolk village. I appreciate both of you two so immensely, and will always see you two as official, honorary halflings.

To Marie Woolyfoot and Kasfer

Spoiler

I have my grievances with druids, however you two did prove to help Brandybrook in many ways, and as such I find a large amount of respect for you two in my own ways. Goodbye

To Deek Driftwood, Pervinca, and Pelegren, and every other halfling of Brandybrook

Spoiler

May you all continue on the path before you. Be nice to your new Thain, he’ll lead you all on a good path. Im sure the path ahead will be hard, however I know that the weefolk spirit is immensely strong. You all gave me the strength to be a Thain, and your loving spirit will live on with me no matter where I end up.

Goodbye my friends and family, may I see you in Knox’s magical wheat fields.

Rollo Applefoot

Thain of Brandybrook, Protector of Halflings, Slayer of Manipulative Mages, Creepy Undead, and Ungrateful Bigguns. Leader of Weefolk And Chosen Ruler By Sir Lord Arka-Knox Himself, and Eternal Watcher of Small-Men.

Maya screams

a certain elf would scream from the roof of his palace ”HE’S FINALLY ******* DEAD AFTER 40 YEARS OF HAVING MY ******* SHOVEL STOLEN”  celebrating it with a bottle of scotch, a glass of bourbon and a beer next to him, sitting on the roof drinking alone

2 minutes ago, mika1278 said:

a certain elf would scream from the roof of his palace ”HE’S FINALLY ******* DEAD AFTER 40 YEARS OF HAVING MY ******* SHOVEL STOLEN”  celebrating it with a bottle of scotch, a glass of bourbon and a beer next to him, sitting on the roof drinking alone

(This killed me, i love you Mika.)

Deek Driftwood sits silently on the docks of Brandybrook, looking out at the Dinkle river as he watches the sun set. The adventurous Halfling remains solem and introspective as he lights his pipe, remembering the Thain. He fingers the Sheriff badge he found in his home, and nods resolutely. Pulling out a bottle of Captains Rum, the Golden liquid within worth it's weight in Pumpkins, he pops the cork takes a hefty swig, before pouring it out in memory of the late Thain.

Marie steps into the Toady Traveler to collect herself after reading the notice from Rollo. She approaches her room to find the Thain’s cloak hanging on her door. She quietly enters her room, crying as she hugs the cloak.

Pervinca Driftwood solemnly plays her trumpet in memory of Rollo.

“What the ****. I was gonna cry, gonna try n’ feel sad, but m’ letter is the most garbage one! C’mon.” The druid grumbles.

Harold read over the will whilst bobbing his head slowly.

"Mmm, Rollo 'n I 'ave had our struggles bu' he ain' wrong.” ""T'is abou' time I ge' ter enjoy me retiremen' again.”

Micah O’Connell squeezed his eyes shut as he heard the Applefoot burrow door close. He sat motionless for some minutes, wondering if he had said the right words to the Thain in what was sure to be his final hours. Eventually he rose from his seat and made for his own burrow to take a lengthy nap.

An Elderly Halfling wandered into Brandybrook upon hearing a word of Rollo’s death. The man’s staff tapped as he hobbled along the dirt paths throughout the village, stopping under a large tree near the beachfront, looking out in into the distance as he pondered on the relationship these two wee-folk once had. 

Larry began to think on their first meeting, he rolled his eyes as he remembered the ridiculous stories and the constant yelling but ended up smiling. He remembered when he became Thain and how bad he thought that would be. He was, however, happy to be wrong. He remembered the loss Rollo had gone through which reminded him that they shared more similarities than he initially thought and sighed. He thought about their passings every time he would return to the Halfling village, he would nod a few times as he began pulling out his Ironwood pipe filled with Halfling’s grass. 

There was no secret about it, Larry was not much of a fan about Rollo in the beginning and with time he came to like him. They shared many similarities such as the good intentions he had for the Halflings and led them well for many years without many thanks. He even saw a younger version of himself in Rollo, and I think it was safe to assume that in the end Larry had changed his mind and started to respect him more.

“I ‘ope ‘e foun’ wha’ ‘e was lookin’ fer, an’ I hope tha’ i’ was quick an’ painless. The lad did so much fer many years an’ I’m sorry I wasn’ there te ‘elp ye. We will prob’ly mee’ again some day.” the old wee-folk muttered to himself as he flicked a match against the tree, sparking it. He held the flame to the Halfling’s grass for a moment as he began to ignite the plant. 

He sat there for a few hours as he continued to think and smoke. Eventually, falling asleep amongst the stars. 

~*~

giphy.gif

Benedict's eyes slowly closed with the news of Rollo's passing, a single tear streaking down his cheek. He looked out to the ocean, took out a bottle of his aged brandy, and poured some out for his late friend, accepting that this is just a part of life, and remembering how he was the one of the first who welcomed him into Brandybrook, nearly 30 years ago. After drinking some of the bottle, he climbed back up to his burrow to reflect in private, when he noticed the letter in his mailbox.

He sat down in his living room, and opened the letter. As he read the words his eyes widened, and his expression turned to that of anger, sadness, and disbelief. Tears streamed down his face as he uplifted his couch into the wall in his living room in a fit of anger, he backed up against the corner of the room, staring at the letter on the floor, and collapsed, sitting with his arms on his knees. He ran his hands through his hair, and broke down crying. His thoughts a mess, all he could feel is how alone he is, and how he never got to know Rollo as his father, until it was too late.

Sulraell exuberantly chuckled, some black tea spilling on the library floor ”Haha o-one less h-halfing to cleanse...”  he said, cleaning up the puddle of tea with a rag