Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

4 minutes ago, blackhand7 said:

But how will this work? A crossbow hurts people by having a pointy bit at the end of its bolt, a musket by the speed at which the ball hits their target causing a shockwave. They’re fundamentally different weapons in terms of how they harm their target.

Don’t forget, the ball hits the target and potentially punches through, creating a larger hole on the opposite end of the object it hit. This is entirely dependent on the kind of protection the user was wearing, but the possibility is there.

Also, the damage would change depending on what material the projectiles are made out of in LotC.

1 minute ago, TheAlphaMoist said:

Except this is LOTC, so if you write in your lore “this musket is exactly like a crossbow,” then the musket will be exactly like a crossbow. Could also add no Bayonets as a redline, if that was really an issue. Guns on LOTC don’t have to be what guns are IRL or follow the same rules. This is a roleplay server. We can make **** up and play with it to a large degree.

Very well put I must say. I wish more people would understand this. 

2 minutes ago, TheAlphaMoist said:

Except this is LOTC, so if you write in your lore “this musket is exactly like a crossbow,” then the musket will be exactly like a crossbow. Could also add no Bayonets as a redline, if that was really an issue. Guns on LOTC don’t have to be what guns are IRL or follow the same rules. This is a roleplay server. We can make **** up and play with it to a large degree.

This line of thinking is what allows dumb magics to get accepted. Roleplay must be grounded in reality, obviously it can exceed realistic standards but there is a point where it is simply too ridiculous, and this is that point. 

3 minutes ago, Carson said:

hell ******* no. what happened to the aesthetic of a medieval fantasy server? I get that it’s the 18th century in here but this isn’t a parallel of real life.

I swear to god the human player base is ruining everything fantasy about a server literally named after lord of the rings.

doubt any of these powdered wig fuckers even know how to operate a firearm

Don’t mix me in with them.

5 minutes ago, Qaz_The_Great said:

I have no clue where you’re getting accuracy from, rifles and such have 100% more range and when shot in vollys will be 100% more dangerous. The scale is in favor of firearms always and it is not fair or balanced. Likewise for crossbow loading speed you must also address the type of crossbow, most effective crossbows are required to be reset via crank or lever.

From the fact that I actually hunt with a crossbow, naturally. Of course firearms are better in the majority, but you stated ALL aspects, when we’re talking about primitive firearms. In which case, that is a false statement, as the guns of the time period were vastly inferior in a number of ways to say that of a crossbow. Hell, longbows were considered better than both, for a time. And I hand pull my crossbow, so... 

4 minutes ago, Ciaran said:

Don’t forget, the ball hits the target and potentially punches through, creating a larger hole on the opposite end of the object it hit. This is entirely dependent on the kind of protection the user was wearing, but the possibility is there.

Also, the damage would change depending on what material the projectiles are made out of in LotC.

Right, but, still, again, the reason why the crossbow bolt punches through is because it has a pointy bit on the top, and that’s how it hurts the target. The bullet hurts the target solely due to how fast it moves, which causes different kinds of wounds. The way each weapon does damage is fundamentally different, and I don’t really see how its possible to equate them. 

4 hours ago, TheAlphaMoist said:

This really took the words out of my mouth, AlphaMoist. I think it is really interesting that the same voices here who are putting forward this myth of ‘it will ruin the balance in combat! It will be powergamed! Look at these historical examples!’ are simultaneously the people who are contending ‘well we don’t have to match up completely with real life’. 

Yes, of course we don’t have to match up completely with real life! So what’s the impediment to having guns as a purely cosmetic feature?

1 minute ago, blackhand7 said:

Right, but, still, again, the reason why the crossbow bolt punches through is because it has a pointy bit on the top, and that’s how it hurts the target. The bullet hurts the target solely due to how fast it moves, which causes different kinds of wounds. The way each weapon does damage is fundamentally different, and I don’t really see how its possible to equate them. 

8 minutes ago, TheAlphaMoist said:

8 minutes ago, Carson said:

weird flex to make over minecraft roleplay dude

do you dress up in chainmail and swing a sword around irl?

3 minutes ago, ARCHITECUS said:

But I don’t see how its possible to have it still be a musket if it hurts people like a crossbow without drastically bending the laws of physics, not to mention the headaches that that will cause conceptually. And, again, like Qaz, said, we should try to ground things in reality.

Edited by blackhand7

10 minutes ago, Carson said:

hell ******* no. what happened to the aesthetic of a medieval fantasy server? I get that it’s the 18th century in here but this isn’t a parallel of real life.

I swear to god the human player base is ruining everything fantasy about a server literally named after lord of the rings.

Do you dress up life an elf and practice magic in real life?

Humans do not need access to fire arms. The fact that these human players are so actively pushing for this means they want an edge in CRP which is kind gay tbh. I love science. But, for the sake of RP and not making power gaming CRP even worse. No guns

11 minutes ago, Carson said:

god look at these powdered wig fuckers

MaVbehqjJd7pEQabMjyOBvDL0fno71sSBuit1o0pT2mLmSm43qCVnihyy-tN2l47jNgmrxOMLzdX3iP4BR0eqBN3VBE2Ou869bNpjf9lkFw7RveW5qSwYyo8MSN1kRkXjAl-SIEP

Edited by Hanrahan

But I don’t see how its possible to have it still be a musket if it hurts people like a crossbow without drastically bending the laws of physics, not to mention the headaches that that will cause conceptually. And, again, like Qaz, said, we should try to ground things in reality.

This is a fantasy roleplay server where magic exists to conjure up a meteor to kill 10 guys in one emotes, allow you to take control of a players mind or open a door into hell and cast everything in a room inside. 

A musket working like a crossbow is about as real and grounded as you are going to get on this server. 

2 minutes ago, blackhand7 said:

But I don’t see how its possible to have it still be a musket if it hurts people like a crossbow without drastically bending the laws of physics, not to mention the headaches that that will cause. And, again, like Qaz, said, we should try to ground things in reality. 

This is a minecraft server set in a different world than our own. The world of LOTC is flat, space isn’t real, and giant unknowable monsters eat deities for breakfast. The laws of physics have already been bent to a drastic degree, almost as if they really don’t behave the same way on LOTC as IRL. If you decide to over think things and want to be upset because some math isn’t right, that’s your choice, man. We have walking cat people ffs.

2 minutes ago, KunLunKungFu said:

From the fact that I actually hunt with a crossbow, naturally. Of course firearms are better in the majority, but you stated ALL aspects, when we’re talking about primitive firearms. In which case, that is a false statement, as the guns of the time period were vastly inferior in a number of ways to say that of a crossbow. Hell, longbows were considered better than both, for a time. And I hand pull my crossbow, so... 

I can’t conced the ALL aspects point because I’ve fired nearly all types of firearms (Brown Bess would be the closest thing I can relate to this). Modern crossbows are also not comparable to old crossbows just as a compound bow isn’t comparable to an old bow.

They aren’t comparable injuries. One is survivable the other is death even if you’re wearing armor.