Aegis – Ten Years On

Zezimus

Lovely stuff man, giving me a kick in the butt to push out my video sooner. So much history packed into those screenshots.

Remember Winterfell!

We love to reminisce about the good parts of Aegis (1.0), but god damn that map looked like **** compared to now lmfao. Well done putting this together, a great nostalgia trip and it should hopefully open the eyes of our older vets to the limited realities of MCRP. If we had fun in Aegis, surely we can have fun anywhere! 

EDIT: Those Alras screenshots made me tear up a bit. I miss the boys.

DOUBLE EDIT: Seeing a screenshot of Pugsy pre-ban is just amazing. Crazy to think one man would define 10 years of rule breakers. The act of "Pugsying" will always be immortalized on this server by the single act of Pugsy. incredible.

Edited by Aislin

I can confidently say, joining LOTC may have been the greatest mistake I have ever made. 

Amazing journey through memory lane, I will always have a love for you guys. 

Thank you Zezimus for putting this together!

Thanks for the video, I have likewise tried to keep my screenshots from that time. All of which are from an undead perspective, mostly of our cities or castles, and an unsurprising number of screenshots I took just after being metagamed as undead and killed. I'll only upload the most interesting ones however.

In this picture we can see the 'world holes' that used to corrupt our minecraft saves, and this corruption of the world was the main reason for leaving for a new map. To rebuild the damaged buildings like-for-like I would watch the Undead trailer video and pause at key moments to work out the dimensions of the build:

sii8FPH.png

IveVlty.png

My rebuilding efforts:

SJ4OfPK.png

LtnO469.png

1d4dNn4.png

wmyhA9v.png

In our city in the nether, we had a rough block map of Aegis where we would record and plan our battles:

o21def6.png

In a remote part of the nether was a fairground which was a replica of the fairground in Al'khazar. This was because Charlie4vb and MrZombez, the original undead leaders, built much of Al'khazar and would build things in the privacy of the nether so that they could be copied into the world:

Psk0Vzh.png

Undead throne room:

dwLsPox.png

There was an area which consisted of pirate ships and giant wooden platforms, in the middle of which was a small dirt island where one person left a sign, which escalated into a large number of people wanting to leave signs on this patch of dirt:

YskiPKf.png

STmgnPa.png

kcy7xGD.png

One of my favourite places in Aegis is a little known spot called World's End. Roughly, Aegis was 5000x5000, but as it was a normal minecraft world it meant that the land stretched on forever but we were simply prevented from walking further. At the very north of the world was World's End where people would leave signs to say that they have travelled there. In the final picture, under the sign 'Welcome to World's End', the grass block surrounded by wooden slabs was the furthest point in Aegis you could walk, and look out into the untouched part of the generated map:

RAswgaG.png

Oc22htu.png

YYPZvhI.png

A charming interaction with everyone's favourite moderator Respiren:

YstoQBj.png

If people recall the terrible reign of the middle aged male english teacher catfishing as a female named Orehime as leader of the undead, which lead to us making a bakery our HQ, the result was that we would bring a lot of cake to a battle so we could camp in towers and easily heal up. This is one of the towers in a battle in Alstion:

gPWlXhj.png

Me getting angry at the roleplay ability of Redwood Druid Boney after he kills me:

btUgg5l.png

Messing around with saddles at the infamous and best first undead keep:

W7nZooM.png

ea7An2P.png

Capturing and torturing the ascended sage okonkwa, who seemed to sympathise with the undead as he was always in our teamspeak room:

VWd2DMF.png

Associating with pugsy not ending well for me:

thBZjss.png

Just behind Winterfell was a secret ruin where as part of the trials to become an undead, you would have to lead someone and then drop them into a pit activated by redstone and then kill them. In the redstone circruitry was a throne where 'The Lord of the Pumpkins' sat. I took this idea to the halfling village of branborough as a joke but through remarkable events it became a religion of the halflings:

kvXJqav.png

I have to say, however, that I disagree with the sentiment about the world looking bad in comparison to newer maps. When I go back to my save of the aegis world, I am astounded at how good the buildings are. Particularly when you take into account that many of the builds were purely built in survival, with blocks people gathered themselves. The simplicity and relatability of the builds result in a far more pleasing aesthetic in my view.

Even so, it is much more important for a world to have the right atmosphere. Subsequent worlds have felt more like a show-home than something which is actually lived in. Even though my experience as a non-undead was incredibly limited, it was still obvious from my perspective that when you went north of Al'khazar to where Snowy Fields, Alstion, and the undead keep stood, you were taking your life in your hands. It was dark, snowy, where the guards of snowy fields and alstion treat everyone with suspicion and are hardened from near-constant battle. 

This was a world where the crack of lightning set everyone on edge at the thought of undead coming to their town. But even without the undead, this was a world which ebbed and flowed as though it were real. The secession of Kal'Alras from the Dwarven kingdom where driven by real, unscripted events and in-game tension. Likewise, the break-up of the Kingdom of Oren was a result of tensions under the unpopular young King Enor, after the popular reigns of Pampo, Dawn, and Edmund, amid a scandal in which the king was corrupted by the undead into devouring his own wife.

From an undead perspective, even though we were the target of so many complaints, many of which were justified, we were behind so much more than just the lightning and fireball attacks people experienced. We had safehouses in many of the cities, sympathisers who acted as spies who would sabotage and gather gold for us, we even had  High Priest Everard as a secret undead worshipper until we properly converted him to undead. We monitored and encouraged notable villains behind the scenes. Every subsequent antagonist has failed to capture the organic and player-driven experience that the undead created.

It was a pleasure to play the server during this time, and it remains the best fun I have had on a computer game today, and the sole reason why I occasionally revisit this place. If any old player wishes to get in touch with me then please do add me on discord: jpayne348#3660.

Edited by Dalek348

10 hours ago, Dalek348 said:

Thanks for the video, I have likewise tried to keep my screenshots from that time. All of which are from an undead perspective, mostly of our cities or castles, and an unsurprising number of screenshots I took just after being metagamed as undead and killed. I'll only upload the most interesting ones however.

In this picture we can see the 'world holes' that used to corrupt our minecraft saves, and this corruption of the world was the main reason for leaving for a new map. To rebuild the damaged buildings like-for-like I would watch the Undead trailer video and pause at key moments to work out the dimensions of the build:

sii8FPH.png

IveVlty.png

My rebuilding efforts:

SJ4OfPK.png

LtnO469.png

1d4dNn4.png

wmyhA9v.png

In our city in the nether, we had a rough block map of Aegis where we would record and plan our battles:

o21def6.png

In a remote part of the nether was a fairground which was a replica of the fairground in Al'khazar. This was because Charlie4vb and MrZombez, the original undead leaders, built much of Al'khazar and would build things in the privacy of the nether so that they could be copied into the world:

Psk0Vzh.png

Undead throne room:

dwLsPox.png

There was an area which consisted of pirate ships and giant wooden platforms, in the middle of which was a small dirt island where one person left a sign, which escalated into a large number of people wanting to leave signs on this patch of dirt:

YskiPKf.png

STmgnPa.png

kcy7xGD.png

One of my favourite places in Aegis is a little known spot called World's End. Roughly, Aegis was 5000x5000, but as it was a normal minecraft world it meant that the land stretched on forever but we were simply prevented from walking further. At the very north of the world was World's End where people would leave signs to say that they have travelled there. In the final picture, under the sign 'Welcome to World's End', the grass block surrounded by wooden slabs was the furthest point in Aegis you could walk, and look out into the untouched part of the generated map:

RAswgaG.png

Oc22htu.png

YYPZvhI.png

YstoQBj.png

If people recall the terrible reign of the middle aged male english teacher catfishing as a female named Orehime as leader of the undead, which lead to us making a bakery our HQ, the result was that we would bring a lot of cake to a battle so we could camp in towers and easily heal up. This is one of the towers in a battle in Alstion:

gPWlXhj.png

Me getting angry at the roleplay ability of Redwood Druid Boney after he kills me:

btUgg5l.png

W7nZooM.png

ea7An2P.png

Capturing and torturing the ascended sage okonkwa, who seemed to sympathise with the undead as he was always in our teamspeak room:

VWd2DMF.png

thBZjss.png

Just behind Winterfell was a secret ruin where as part of the trials to become an undead, you would have to lead someone and then drop them into a pit activated by redstone and then kill them. In the redstone circruitry was a throne where 'The Lord of the Pumpkins' sat. I took this idea to the halfling village of branborough as a joke but through remarkable events it became a religion of the halflings:

kvXJqav.png

I have to say, however, that I disagree with the sentiment about the world looking bad in comparison to newer maps. When I go back to my save of the aegis world, I am astounded at how good the buildings are. Particularly when you take into account that many of the builds were purely built in survival, with blocks people gathered themselves. The simplicity and relatability of the builds result in a far more pleasing aesthetic in my view.

Even so, it is much more important for a world to have the right atmosphere. Subsequent worlds have felt more like a show-home than something which is actually lived in. Even though my experience as a non-undead was incredibly limited, it was still obvious from my perspective that when you went north of Al'khazar to where Snowy Fields, Alstion, and the undead keep stood, you were taking your life in your hands. It was dark, snowy, where the guards of snowy fields and alstion treat everyone with suspicion and are hardened from near-constant battle. 

This was a world where the crack of lightning set everyone on edge at the thought of undead coming to their town. But even without the undead, this was a world which ebbed and flowed as though it were real. The secession of Kal'Alras from the Dwarven kingdom where driven by real, unscripted events and in-game tension. Likewise, the break-up of the Kingdom of Oren was a result of tensions under the unpopular young King Enor, after the popular reigns of Pampo, Dawn, and Edmund, amid a scandal in which the king was corrupted by the undead into devouring his own wife.

From an undead perspective, even though we were the target of so many complaints, many of which were justified, we were behind so much more than just the lightning and fireball attacks people experienced. We had safehouses in many of the cities, sympathisers who acted as spies who would sabotage and gather gold for us, we even had  High Priest Everard as a secret undead worshipper until we properly converted him to undead. We monitored and encouraged notable villains behind the scenes. Every subsequent antagonist has failed to capture the organic and player-driven experience that the undead created.

It was a pleasure to play the server during this time, and it remains the best fun I have had on a computer game today, and the sole reason why I occasionally revisit this place. If any old player wishes to get in touch with me then please do add me on discord: jpayne348#3660.

Great sentiment that I agree with Dalek!

On 7/4/2021 at 1:02 PM, Dalek348 said:

sii8FPH.png

IveVlty.png

My rebuilding efforts:

SJ4OfPK.png

LtnO469.png

1d4dNn4.png

wmyhA9v.png

o21def6.png

Psk0Vzh.png

Undead throne room:

dwLsPox.png

YskiPKf.png

STmgnPa.png

kcy7xGD.png

RAswgaG.png

Oc22htu.png

YYPZvhI.png

YstoQBj.png

gPWlXhj.png

btUgg5l.png

W7nZooM.png

ea7An2P.png

VWd2DMF.png

thBZjss.png

kvXJqav.png

Thanks for sharing this Dalek, the screenshots you’ve managed to keep over the years were really helpful in putting this video together. As someone from the other side, I’ll say the undead did a great job of keeping us on our toes. It’s good to know the enjoyment was shared on both ends.

For me personally, I’ll always miss the lived-in feel of Aegis, and the fluidity of character interactions, with everyone effectively being a new player. While I can appreciate the server has had to move on and adapt to new audiences during its lifespan, LotC never felt as natural or free-flowing as it did in the beginning.

For my barely half year on the server, I've made so many friends and memories. Looking forward for more! (mby the greatest community)

On 6/8/2021 at 5:10 PM, MediocreGamer said:

Amazing journey through memory lane, I will always have a love for you guys. 

Makes you miss the old days a little huh?

This brings back a heap of memories and nostalgia. Lovely video! Almost makes me want to dig up my old old computer and rummage through the files and screenshots.