On the Topic of Aeldin

Crevel

On the Topic of Aeldin  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Do you and your homies think Aeldin should be officially soft-shelved?

• Hell yeah!
    • Hell nah!
    • What is Aeldin?
    • This poll is public and I prefer not to speak.

Hello, this post is here for me to seek an official modern announcement from Story Team regarding Aeldin being soft-shelved. For years, people have been using this continent to develop backstories to their characters; typically nobles or others who claim to be influential figures because they have main character syndrome. It has become apparent that Story Team has been wanting to kill it off and I don't blame them. Why should lore that took place off-server have any place on-server? Roleplay on other servers have no relevance to LotC so why should it have any bearing? After all, Aeldin came to be because a bunch of players OOCly entered an exodus because they were upset that the Emperor of Oren (who was an admin at the time) got banned.

It is currently considered outdated lore yet there are still those parading around that they come from Aeldin, have visited Aeldin, or retired to Aeldin. Ironically, even in the case that it was updated lore it would not even be considered valid due to the official stance announcement posted by the Lore Team six years ago that confirmed that it was impossible to go to or come from Aeldin. In other words, Aeldin has been inaccessible for 362 in-game years. Despite this, there are still those that use its existence to ennoble themselves or give their character what would otherwise be non-existent relevance. At this point, Aeldin has become so much of a meme for sudden characters that it is not respected at all. I understand that such a revision would normally require years of retconning and it would be extremely problematic due to the past few years of Aeldinic characters, however I think to take this into account the following should be done: any mention of Aeldin in the backstories of characters from the beginning of Arcas (or even Almaris) and onward are considered invalid and must be retconned if possible, and all titles (social, political, etc.) regarding and/or stemming from Aeldin be rendered null and void. I do hope that Story Team are able to make an official statement about Aeldin so it is more commonly known that Aeldin is a no-go continent these days. Below will be a spoiler containing links and photos that I believe are relevant to this post.

Spoiler

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/126220-the-official-lore-team-stance-on-aeldin/

Official Lore Team Stance in the Outdated Lore Archive.

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/forum/910-starting-locations-in-the-mortal-realm/

Aeldin is not considered a valid starting location.

awY_NnBQcV-0AmI2CiyLGKCTOWAIged26VSx_XfulyeI7ol5NpAz1xlezh3IAvA8iSbOU948dHfXLIXRBxWVEBIfrH7h-SFqpd_IP4ZF4p0edXhuw4U_5W9JUxzA2ykyiBCfxNvY

Utterly based.

0SPuz3oi6x-Rlrx6nO1ObHfbRgCKzOArluzVwqoigImmKlLkWnG10Mp9Kbpb0CydVJT4G2jVOMnfScocjvVv7zUyXrvJnvylygU7V9a0iJEnHMvBJkBsLAWnHPznLP7BatkKOc5w

Doomer moments.

https://wiki.lordofthecraft.net/index.php?title=Madame_Rothesay

Example of a semi-recent wiki page of a character with mention of Aeldin, claiming to be the daughter of an Aeldinic royal and the niece of an Aeldinic king.

cringe and hate player fun pilled

its harmless and creates an interesting dynamic as a long lost but stable homeland that humans long for, as well as a place for where human cultures or families can claim partial origin.

besides i have not seen this overuse of aeldin apart from for characters who are already coming from noble family so hardly being used to ennoble them / give them relevance. 

apart from some notable exceptions 

e.g. an old character of mine was a marauder who was chain ganged in aeldin for theft before arriving upon xyz map to escape the law

Edited by grubgoth_wud

Just now, ScreamingDingo said:

Might just personally canonise Aeldin probably to spite you tbf

Based

1 minute ago, ScreamingDingo said:

Might just personally canonise Aeldin probably to spite you tbf

:(

Seems wholly unnecessary to me, I've enjoyed claiming sudden characters to emerge from Aeldin into communities. The unfortunate thing is - Aeldin is not alone as an off-map continent, theoretically speaking there are numerous other regions which cannot be visited in-game of which players can emerge with their own backstory. Understandably, it becomes quite frustrating when characters pop up here and there with titles of all manner, but continents like Aeldin have allowed a number of different cultures to pop up. To retcon Aeldin, is to literally delete French people off of LoTC history and a number of other groups and events, it would be silly. Aeldin's access and use to players might become limited, but I would hardly expect the staff to remove large portions of server history that have become pseudo-canon through player interaction and beliefs. 

7 minutes ago, Jentos said:

Seems wholly unnecessary to me, I've enjoyed claiming sudden characters to emerge from Aeldin into communities. The unfortunate thing is - Aeldin is not alone as an off-map continent, theoretically speaking there are numerous other regions which cannot be visited in-game of which players can emerge with their own backstory. Understandably, it becomes quite frustrating when characters pop up here and there with titles of all manner, but continents like Aeldin have allowed a number of different cultures to pop up. To retcon Aeldin, is to literally delete French people off of LoTC history and a number of other groups and events, it would be silly. Aeldin's access and use to players might become limited, but I would hardly expect the staff to remove large portions of server history that have become pseudo-canon through player interaction and beliefs. 

You misunderstand me entirely. I am not saying to retcon Aeldin entirely. I acknowledge the vast history associated with it, and that is why I am saying that recent backstories with mentions of it should be retconned. Aeldin has had no official bearing in LotC lore for years considering that it was confirmed by Lore Team at the time that people could not go to Aeldin nor come from it since Thales. It has become apparent that despite what was said all those years ago, people did not know and they created characters and backstory based off of something illegitimate and it is still happening; the difference is that Aeldin has less precedent now and that is why now is the opportune time to retcon the recent history to prevent future issues with this outdated lore.

Our lore has us flipping between two sides of a coin, Eos and Aos. Which side is Aeldin on?

If people want to make random nobles they should be encouraged to make them based on current locale, not a made up continent elsewhere

I wholeheartedly agree with a lot of responses written above, but I'll also reiterate my opinion laid out in the Community Discord while the forums were down for the sake of clarity. I believe this to be an absolute non-issue. Not only does RP that occurs off-screen (within the validity of the world, of course) not negatively affect anyone uninvolved (any abuse of such would rightly be against other server rules, such as the illegality of powergaming), but it is also an incredibly clear fact that claiming to be Aeldinic nobility is neither different from claiming any other sort of unrecognized title nor does it allow players to start with noble clout in Oren and Haense. 

Furthermore, using an antiquated staff ruling as an absolute excuse is invalid, given that it is invalid within the context it had been made - because there was no lore allowing travel between the two planes of the world. Not only has inter-planar travel been made into valid lore since, but if memory serves me right, we're also currently on the same plane as Aeldin. The ruling is not absolute because the staff at the time failed to foresee the possibility of this happening.

Solution to the Aeldin problem:

Next map, we're going to Aeldin, babeeeeeyyyy.

Then you destroy it with the apocalypse du jour and done-zo! 

39 minutes ago, LithiumSedai said:

Not only has inter-planar travel been made into valid lore since, but if memory serves me right, we're also currently on the same plane as Aeldin.

Two Three things, first, I think there should be some clarity as to what continents / world / plane of existence we're in that exists as a sort guide for creating back stories. I know lore sleuths are super in-the-know when it comes to this, but with the Wiki being relatively out of date, I'd really like some sort of 'World' Map showing all past maps, with a brief summary of the Descendants departure.

Second, as to not derail, personally I prefer the prospect of new adventurers and characters coming off-continent. This origin is a lot better than them just appearing out of thin air (unless they're born to a certain family, or village in Almaris etc. . .). Aeldin is a wonderful prospect for developing a character with some substance before they arrive to Almaris! No harm, no foul. 

Edit:

6 hours ago, Sham404 said:

If people want to make random nobles they should be encouraged to make them based on current locale, not a made up continent elsewhere

Third, gonna disagree with this, and I present: The Mount and Blade Warband argument. In Mount and Blade Warband, you can start as a Noble, and literally all you get is a coat of arms. You are still weak, and have to build yourself up. If a player wants to parade around as some Nobility, let 'em! Let them deal with the consequences of coming to a foreign continent claiming to be a Lord of some sort, demanding land, and dealing with the consequences in Roleplay. Or, by the off chance they do rise to some sort of significance, it will allow them the ability to throw a wrench in that very locales day to day. 

Yeah, no, keep Aeldin. I have no words other than for all of you to read everything @ScreamingDingo has already said. Aeldin is a template for a rich set of cultures and backstories to originate from, and provides a significant pillar in many different areas of lore. Do you mind if I ask what your actual thoughts are on Aeldin, @Crevel? Seems you dislike it. I'd be curious to know why, since you seem to want it gone quite adamantly. 

24 minutes ago, breeni said:

Third, gonna disagree with this, and I present: The Mount and Blade Warband argument. In Mount and Blade Warband, you can start as a Noble, and literally all you get is a coat of arms. You are still weak, and have to build yourself up. If a player wants to parade around as some Nobility, let 'em! Let them deal with the consequences of coming to a foreign continent claiming to be a Lord of some sort, demanding land, and dealing with the consequences in Roleplay. Or, by the off chance they do rise to some sort of significance, it will allow them the ability to throw a wrench in that very locales day to day. 

*Aeldin is no longer accessible.

*No one has been capable of traveling to or from Aeldin since crossing into Thales.

*No one has, or can, visit Aeldin since 3.75 (Thales) and this most certainly includes the entirety of 4.0.

2.) There is no ability to travel to or from Aeldin any longer, under any means or circumstance.

The ruling on Aeldin says this. No one should be playing a noble from there, it breaks the redline of the verdict as well as the general verdicts of the ST regarding it. Without following these points, Aeldin would have never been allowed to exist in server at all to begin with. We are suggesting these rules regarding Aeldin are enforced.