An Inquiry

Tabby64

Should Nexus and 1.8 come back to LOTC?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should Nexus and 1.8 come back to LOTC?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only 1.8 should come back
    • Only Nexus should come back

After listening to the older players talk about how nexus created a good economy for nations as each nation needed to have a black smith or a lumber jack and how 1.8 is better when war lags  I thought it would be best to ask the players of lotc what they think about it. 

Whatever will run warclaims without breaking. Beyond that, it really doesn't matter too much imo.

ah yes, bring back nexus (historically shite system from what i've been told)

Just now, MailC3p said:

(historically shite system from what i've been told)

People only bring up the bad parts tbf.

Nexus was a system I supported. @Telanir and @Llirdid an amazing job putting a fantastic plugin together and kept updating it. 

Why did nexus fail. Nexus relied too much on supply and demand, requiring players to do one of two things. 

1. Work together

Or 2. Start alting 

Nexus can be broken down into multiple categories, but let's simplify it to three. Nexus crafting, nexus skills, nexus regions and nexus combat.

Nexus crafting required players to collect x amount of material and spend x amount of time crafting. That's it. A very simple and unique system that helped the playerbase stand out from other servers. Though, time impacted everything. It doesn't matter if you were making diamond shovels or quartz slabs. Nexus required you to wait for everything.

Now. Was it really that simple? No. Nexus skills complicated everything. You started off at 0 experience in every level. Without doing anything you could level each skill (fishing breeding farming etc) to a specified level (usually intermediate) before it just stopped leveling. You could set a profession to be your primary profession but then the max cap for your other skills would be decreased. Why were nexus skill levels important? They impacted everything from crafting times, efficiency of weapons, and even what you could craft. Darksalvo was an aengulic blacksmith who pumped out low weight gear for the order of st Amyas. Ryno2 ran around in one of the best Iron studded sets with a bow two shotting high elves. Let's not talk about travistas donkeys who could reach almost 8 blocks in jump height. Aengulic fishermen like aesopian could grapple up walls. Squirtgun the princess of sutica could fell trees with a single swing. Master enchanters and alchemists produced amazing goods. The issue is. When people see something is cool, they force themselves to get it.

This impacted nexus combat. Players blackmailed others individuals to get recipes for alchemist potions like alchemy fire and stone skin potions. Players spent ours auto mining to get iron to mass produce chain boots. Spreadsheets for maximum grind % were produced and used by players. The point of skills was to allow players to be unique but everyone wanted to the main character. It became a nuclear arms race.

Nexus regions had flaws. But it had a good system. Anyone could claim a plot of land. You had to have x number of hours spent on your region by players and you remained active. If you didn't. Your region was up for sniping by anyone. It allowed players to know where roleplay would be. 

Tldr

Nexus had its ups and downs. But certain features should never return. Human greed ruined nexus. 

@Tabby64

Edited by L0rdLawyer

I loved nexus, it was the only reason I played on the server when I first joined.

I wish I was around when Nexus was out. I've heard so much about it and wish I could've given it a try.

how about no

imagine telling lotc builders "hey we're going back to 1.8, cutting your available resources in more than half"

also: I wouldn't remake nexus even if offered $1000+, and definitely not making a professions plugin for free.

2 hours ago, L0rdLawyer said:

Nexus was a system I supported. @Telanir and @Llirdid an amazing job putting a fantastic plugin together and kept updating it. 

Why did nexus fail. Nexus relied too much on supply and demand, requiring players to do one of two things. 

1. Work together

Or 2. Start alting 

Nexus can be broken down into multiple categories, but let's simplify it to three. Nexus crafting, nexus skills, nexus regions and nexus combat.

Nexus crafting required players to collect x amount of material and spend x amount of time crafting. That's it. A very simple and unique system that helped the playerbase stand out from other servers. Though, time impacted everything. It doesn't matter if you were making diamond shovels or quartz slabs. Nexus required you to wait for everything.

Now. Was it really that simple? No. Nexus skills complicated everything. You started off at 0 experience in every level. Without doing anything you could level each skill (fishing breeding farming etc) to a specified level (usually intermediate) before it just stopped leveling. You could set a profession to be your primary profession but then the max cap for your other skills would be decreased. Why were nexus skill levels important? They impacted everything from crafting times, efficiency of weapons, and even what you could craft. Darksalvo was an aengulic blacksmith who pumped out low weight gear for the order of st Amyas. Ryno2 ran around in one of the best Iron studded sets with a bow two shotting high elves. Let's not talk about travistas donkeys who could reach almost 8 blocks in jump height. Aengulic fishermen like aesopian could grapple up walls. Squirtgun the princess of sutica could fell trees with a single swing. Master enchanters and alchemists produced amazing goods. The issue is. When people see something is cool, they force themselves to get it.

This impacted nexus combat. Players blackmailed others individuals to get recipes for alchemist potions like alchemy fire and stone skin potions. Players spent ours auto mining to get iron to mass produce chain boots. Spreadsheets for maximum grind % were produced and used by players. The point of skills was to allow players to be unique but everyone wanted to the main character. It became a nuclear arms race.

Nexus regions had flaws. But it had a good system. Anyone could claim a plot of land. You had to have x number of hours spent on your region by players and you remained active. If you didn't. Your region was up for sniping by anyone. It allowed players to know where roleplay would be. 

Tldr

Nexus had its ups and downs. But certain features should never return. Human greed ruined nexus. 

@Tabby64

in my honest opinion, professions should never have "level-locked" goods, but instead have a higher % chance on item returns, or item drops.

I.e. a level 70 blacksmith would have a 7.5% chance of getting some resources back from their smithing, but a level 30 blacksmith would have a 1% chance on getting a return... (these values are just examples)

That's what makes a good profession in my eyes, since everyone, even those without the profession can produce these items if they so desire. They just don't get the benefits of having the profession as their main.

4 hours ago, L0rdLawyer said:

1. Work together

Or 2. Start alting 

Tldr

@Tabby64

I remember nations use to kidnap master blacksmiths to make great weapons to fight each other. Kinda like how the great bombard was made for the ottomans. 

I remember guilds, and the apprentice system. And how peasants were valued because of their skills. Which all this made the economy really great to because it shifted so much.

I remember it, and prefer to remember the good memories of it.

My only issue, was the crafting times were very long, but also increased actual roleplay.

9 hours ago, Adelemphii said:

how about no

imagine telling lotc builders "hey we're going back to 1.8, cutting your available resources in more than half"

also: I wouldn't remake nexus even if offered $1000+, and definitely not making a professions plugin for free.

1.8 pvp, but yeah it’s really up to if the dev team wants to make it again lmao

3 hours ago, UnusualBrit said:

1.8 pvp, but yeah it’s really up to if the dev team wants to make it again lmao

I had a neat idea, though it'd probably never happen, of doing a mock war with the bare necessities on 1.8. Make a surge port to 1.8, and just do a war of similar sizes to see if that would be a viable solution. Bringing back 1.8 pvp by itself wouldn't help the lag at all, btw. Maybe it'd help with the fact that you can spam click and do full damage over time, but the lag would still persist which shouldn't be an ultimate goal tbh.

Nexus, genuinely, wasn't bad at all, with a few exceptions. Nexus worked fine to create a fun and dynamic pvp system with loot that actually meant something. It did promote an economy and offered numerically inferior groups a way of giving themselves a slight edge.

The issues of imbalance kind of got blown up when diamond (carbarum) was introduced and became slightly more common in late Axios. Carb armor, with prot enchants, combined with potions would make players that had it so much more powerful than players who didn't have it, that you had fights where 2 people wiped 15 people in normal gear. 

There was also an argument to be made that it was too grindy, and therefore, too new player unfriendly. I can get behind this, too.

I honestly wouldn't mind a nexus-like system returning if there was some more attention to balancing AND it wasn't too noob unfriendly. For such a thing to work, I also think there should be EXTENSIVE player testing, open to everyone, and a lot of feedback to be taken into account.