How 2 Immerse Urself in LOTC

NotEvilAtAll

Getting actually immersed in LOTC takes two things (in my opinion anyways):

1: Actually caring about the time/weather

1 hour is 1 in-game day, yet people will stand around in the same roleplay scenario for hours on end even when there's no CRP or real necessity to keep the RP going. When you see that it's getting dark don't just stay in the town square chatting, move indoors! Invite the people you've been chatting with over for supper or something, it doesn't matter. You can even roleplay sleeping if you want (though usually I timeskip straight to the next morning).

Also, take the weather into account. When it's raining, mention the fact that it is raining in-character and try to move the roleplay somewhere dry. Lightning strikes? Better stay away from the water! You can invent your own weather depending on the climate. Why not have a dust storm interrupt your Balian tea-party? Horde of locusts? You name it!

Is it a winter month? Put on a coat, emote shivering in the chill breeze. Is it a summer month? Emote being exhausted if your character is working hard at something, interrupt your casual chatting RP with drink breaks so you stay hydrated in-character, have a heat stroke if you want to be dramatic.

If you don't care about time or weather you are roleplaying in a static environment and your roleplay will take on that static kinda vibe where hours slip by without actually mattering.

2: Actually doing something

Ain't nothing wrong with playing a character that has places to be, and I don't just mean "oh no I gotta go bye cya guys" *logs off* I mean your character leaves the tavern and then actually does a different roleplay thing while staying logged onto the roleplay server. Give your character things that they must do every day. This could be basic things like eating, drinking, sleeping, etc. or more interesting things such as daily rituals/prayers, weird habits, whatever. Don't do one thing for hours on end, mix it up, go work your characters in-game job, talk with friends, shop in the market, eat meals, and whatever else you can think of.

Speaking of jobs, give your character a job. Seriously. Too many characters are effectively unemployed. No, being a noble isn't a real job. How does your character earn a living? Monk minas and monk bread make it far easier to get by mechanically than it should be to realistically make a living in-character. Get a job, it doesn't have to pay you many minas (or ANY minas at all!). If your character gets a job, and other characters around your character get a job, then, regardless of whether or not your "jobs" reward you well mechanically, you can transform a lame, dry-old tavern RP settlement into a vibrant, varied community where everyone has their own identity and relations beyond just who they chat with in the tavern or town square.

ok rant over

If you're doing Tavern rp, grab your strongest liquor and immerse yourself! If you aren't intoxicated, why should your character be?

*suggested only for those of legal drinking age

1 minute ago, Aidoro said:

If you're doing Tavern rp, grab your strongest liquor and immerse yourself! If you aren't intoxicated, why should your character be?

*suggested only for those of legal drinking age

Nah **** it if you can do TavernRP you can be drunk IRL 

sometimes when i go to balian i make sure my pc is running extra hot for added effect

I make sure to put on my coat and move my laptop into the snow when in Haense

I quite like the idea of inviting people to a dinner party or perhaps even tea for a simple conversation, adds some flavor and allows the player some control of their environment; not to mention things like housemagery or banes can be used to shake things up and add a more immersive setting

Cool post!

15 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

When you see that it's getting dark don't just stay in the town square chatting, move indoors! Invite the people you've been chatting with over for supper or something

Based idea I’m taking this now.