9.0 Your View - Building on Roads

itdontmatta

Road Rules  

388 members have voted

1. 1. Restrict building on roads?

• Yes
    • No

I think allowing structures to be built on the road can only help to encourage roleplay. Nation matters aside, which I believe to be something that LotC is WAY too deeply concerned about these days, I think that it's very boring and hopelessly dull to never expect that you'll run across anything at all out of the ordinary along the main road that could block you or hinder your journey.

Perhaps a compromise that could be had done is like, if you set up something like a fort or a checkpoint or a settlement you have to create an alternative footpath or road that can still circumvent it to avoid issues of blockading activity or hindering players from moving places.

However, generally speaking I believe that such would only encourage RP. The White Rose checkpoint back in Anthos created incredible roleplay, and I'm sure other player groups or guilds could do the same thing if given this sort of freedom. Think about open world video games like Fallout and the Elder Scrolls, or even IRL. The road is prime real estate for roleplay if you allow it to be.

the main road, which should be connected to all nations. Should not be interrupted by nations. It should be restricted. However, roads splitting off of it, should be allowed to do whatever, since (im guessing) they would be playermade.

i think this could inspire 'shortcut' roads, going across places, which would be fun

Restricting road building can lead to consequences such as limiting a nation's ability to fully utilize and develop their territory. Allowing nations to build on roads that pass through their territory can give them more control over their land and create opportunities for creative and unique road designs. Additionally, I think it can encourage nations to develop road networks that can connect with other realms, fostering inter-realm travel and trade.

if a nation's activity is cut off by a road passing through another nation, it presents an opportunity for roleplay and diplomacy. Nations can engage in diplomatic discussions and come to an agreement on how to proceed, or they can construct a new road that goes around the obstruction, or whatever. These situations nonetheless create interesting plotlines and encourage inter-nation interactions.

It’s important to keep roads clear as a route for people to travel from place to place without barriers but by allowing nations to build on roads, it can also create interesting obstacles for travelers to navigate, adding to the overall experience.

In conclusion, while there are valid arguments for both restricting and allowing road building, allowing nations to build on roads can encourage creative designs, inter-realm travel, and foster diplomatic solutions to road obstructions.

There is not a healthy roleplay world where players should have to jump through hoops in order to get to their place of destination, especially if they are following the main road provided by the staff of the server.

nations dont need more control over RP than they already have lol

there are nations who leave their gates closed 90% or 100% of the time and just expecting people to "go around if they're closed!!!!" is just silly when the entire point of a road is meant to lead you to your destination. you shouldn't be forced to depart from a road in order to reach it because the activity funnel forces you to cross through nation checkpoints

building on your own roads is fine for scenery or w/e but in no world should we force players to have to pass through nation A in order to reach nation B

This is mostly agreeing with what other people have said, but I think nations should be able to build on their own main roads and not others. But if other nations can influence roads it can really mess with activity

If the solution is to make their road longer, it'll just become like Elvenesse this map, where it's always such a pain to get there without a soulstone. And ferries to capitals wouldn't help either because then there's no point in having things on the roads anyways

Real question how will the cloud temple/hub system work

1 minute ago, ErikAzog said:

Real question how will the cloud temple/hub system work

i'm STILL waiting for a map where we actually get a Cloud Temple IN THE CLOUDS

YOU COWARDS, GIVE US A LITERAL CLOUD TEMPLE, COME ON

If they own the land then let them do whatever they want. Anything short of this is an unnecessary restriction of roleplay.

However, for those of you concerned about roadblocks, I've devised what I feel is a solution that works perfectly and can be adapted by everyone.

Spoiler

roadmap.png

I think Nations should be able to have the freedom to work around/on main roads, to what degree is important to get a consensus on with the entire playerbase. 

The ability to restrict/control certain important areas of the map, like main roads is NOT RESTRICTING roleplay, it offers more opportunity for roleplay. Imagine you for example warclaim a tile from a nation which severs their main road, to their ally or to a hub. LOTC in my humble opinion should be more focused on how to stimulate impactful roleplay, rather than to make it as comfortable as can be.

I'd say just make them able to build on the roads, but don't let nations cut them off

for example, having a nice roadside tavern is fine, but don't let them build a massive military fort on the middle of the road everyone has to pass to get to the next place

also there shouldve been an option for letting nations be able to build near roads (like shit to look at while u hold W for 5 minutes) but not being able to turn ur nation into a travel checkpoint on it

45 minutes ago, Unwillingly said:

nations dont need more control over RP than they already have lol

there are nations who leave their gates closed 90% or 100% of the time and just expecting people to "go around if they're closed!!!!" is just silly when the entire point of a road is meant to lead you to your destination. you shouldn't be forced to depart from a road in order to reach it because the activity funnel forces you to cross through nation checkpoints

building on your own roads is fine for scenery or w/e but in no world should we force players to have to pass through nation A in order to reach nation B

45 minutes ago, BobBox said:

There is not a healthy roleplay world where players should have to jump through hoops in order to get to their place of destination, especially if they are following the main road provided by the staff of the server.

54 minutes ago, AfroJoeTheOlogBro said:

Let them build on the roads. We need more road side caravans and taverns and the like. Just dont block the road itself, build on the side of it

55 minutes ago, DrunkPapaBear said:

Nub touch main roads.

Nations can do whatever they want with secondary roads on their tiles.

59 minutes ago, Diogen said:

people building on top of roads and messing with other groups feels very needlessly chaotic

Go around lol

It's their land, isn't it. Let them do with it what they will.

OG Belvitz was cool, sitting as close to on top of the road as possible, and only added to the server.