An Eiriksson Does Not Die on His Knees [PK]

The Death of an Eiriksson

robert-ryminiecki-warriors.jpg?width=518

Spoiler

Adalsteinn Eiriksson stood in the same spot as he had many years ago, staring at the tree where his father once stood, the day he took his life before his eyes. In his hands, he wrung an iron band, the crown signifying his position as chieftain, idly with his automaton hands as his thoughts raced. 

“Perhaps it is time to join you, in the All-father's halls, father.” 

He thought to himself as he looked upon the flames that burned upon it. Its colors were muted to his purple hues, the once complex colors now a solid orange. He had lost the brown eyes he had been born with, replaced with the eyes of a fallen Adunian by a shaman in Krugmar. He let out an exhale, another thought flickering to the surface.

“An Eiriksson does not die on his knees.”

His father’s last words echoing through his mind. Beside him, an ax and a rope. He intended to go as his father had, though he had no audience. He had not lived a life quite like his father. As he stood there, steeling himself, the sounds of marching found his way to his ears. A feeling filled him, it was not dread, nor fear. It was joy. Moving quickly, he armed himself with the very ax he meant to end his life with, drawing his shield one last time. He was ready to die, blade in hand. He met the mori charge head on, with a bellowing warcry, felling the first one instantly, the other retreating. From his lips came prayers of faith to the All-Father.

“I rejoice for I may die today, but I do so in the All-Father’s name! And that I will soon join him in his warm embrace. But until the moment of my passing comes, I will make you BLEED.”

Engaging the commander in combat, the aging combatant found himself outclassed, but still he fought. The mori placing a hand on his chest, he felt his heart throb, the massive man falling to his knees, for the first time this fight, fear filling his thoughts. Feebly, he struck at the mori, landing a lucky strike as he rose, his mind wondering if his body would give out on him in this fight.

“Fight me like a true warrior, coward. No petty tricks.”

The Commander would lean back but not quick enough the tip of the shield would carve into her chin, drawing out crimson ichor would seep out from her sliced chin. She hiss before the swarm of red vapor surrounds her, the Mori shifts up the stairs, her eyes glaring daggers at him. 

“How dare you, you will submit before you die”

Adalsteinn Eiriksson raised his shield once more, as he sized up the commander, his sword still hanging upon his belt, advancing once more, matching the backsteps of the Mori.

“A Norlander kneels to no one.”

“You will die as you were then, matter not to be pale walker” 

“It has been almost ninety years, I have yet to taste defeat, darkspawn.”

“Then prepare to taste it once and for all, slave.”

The commander would push out her hand, the thin red mist seeps into his very flesh disappearing from sight. As she curls in her finger his movement would begin to slow, as his muscles twitched. His metal arms remained unaffected, but he found himself frozen in place. Fighting against it fruitlessly the commander sneering at him, taking light steps in a wide arc around him, as she pushes her left hand down. His knees would begin to buckle and bend as his muscles moved on their own accord, making him keel onto the ground. 

“And now you will get the death you so crave.”

Adalsteinn Eiriksson slowly dropped to one knee, then the other his entire body showing signs of feeble struggle as he planted the tip of his sword into the ground, he would throw aside his shield and try to use both of his hands to fight his own body. 

“An… Eiriksson… does not… die… on his knees.” 

The Mori commander laughed, holding her hand to the crystalline blade. As she moves behind him she watches the shield be thrown aside and tsks. 

“So much for that.” 

She taunts pulling back her blade. Through pure will and determination get the slightest control back over his body. Adalsteinn Eiriksson whipped around to face his combatant, sword poised to swing, but as he went to move, his arm did nothing. The sword fell lip out of his destroyed metal hand. His glanced at it and then back at the commander, a hollow laugh escaping him. 

“Well, how about that.” 

He now started his own death, face to face, with nothing else to do. The commander glared at the sheer defiance that Adalsteinn showed her, anger flashes in her eyes as she draws back her sword once more. 

“Then die on your feet for all I care!” 

She bellowed, thrusting the blade of ichor directed at the man's throat to  deliver a final sentence. Adalsteinn Eiriksson met a warrior's death, as many Eirikssons had. His last words, 

“May I be welcomed in the All-Father's halls…” 

A distant smile on his face as his body went limp, dead, the strike a truly lethal one. Ironically, in some ways, his form did fall to its knees, but not before his death. 

To Thor:

Spoiler

You know, I placed out all this paper, and now that I go to write, I realize just how few I have to write to. But the purpose of this note is not to reminisce. I leave to you the band our father left me, and with it- the role of chieftain. I probably have a son, probably a couple, but they do not know of their lineage. So, I entrust it to you.

To Ingrid:

Spoiler

I’m sorry I could not teach you more of the All-Father, the clan, what it means to be an Norlander, an Eiriksson. But I have never been a good man, let alone a teacher. I trust that you will live well by the blood that flows in your veins. I hope you can forgive me. Until we meet again- within the halls of the All-Father.

To Odin:

Spoiler

Thank you. For giving this fool a chance to help his people. Even if I am only a footnote in the history of Norland, to be the hand of the king, to look out for my fellow man is a light my life lacked. It is, the only light I’ve had, truthfully.

Credit to @Ztrog for the based RP for his death.

Odin reads the note, frowning as he does. Odin never once considered Adalsteinn a fool, and ironically enough Adalsteinn's writings will likely be seen even far past the end of his own reign. Odin never did get that chance to tell Adalsteinn how well he did, properly at least, but he hopes Adalsteinn knew. Though Odin never got to learn much personally about Adalsteinn he considered him a friend, someone who will remain in his mind for the rest of his own life. Odin looks forward to reading the missives Adalsteinn writes for the All-Father some day.

From the allfather's high hall Halstein Eiriksson welcomed his son with a horn of ale and a firm pat on the back.

"Welcome my son you died a true warrior's death"

Styregg Eiriksson sighs upon hearing of his cousin's death. "We shall meet again one day, Adalsteinn."

An old man stared at the note of another fallen friend and set it in the pile of others who had gone in similar ways. "There goes another, seems I will have to watch the next, wouldn't want them dying at the wrong time."

Ingrid Eiriksson did not shed a single tear. The letter was left untouched for several weeks after it was received. It hurt. It really hurt. The ruric didn't even remember the last time she talked to her uncle. She had isolated herself from the world after losing her other half, her dear sister. Wasn't that enough? Now someone else had left her. Adalsteinn's message to her was covered in dust by the time she finally found the courage to read it. She blamed him at first, but the blame eventually fell on herself, as it did with everything else. She must have done something to deserve this. It just wouldn't make sense otherwise. Ingrid had doomed herself by pushing everyone away, with no intention of asking for help. She couldn't bear the thought of burdening anyone else with her pain. No matter what, she would deal with this alone. In that deep, dark hole she found herself in, there was no telling if she would be able to resurface, or if she would end up sinking even deeper. Lost forever.