[✗] [Amendment] Voidal Artificery Addition

sam33497

OOC:

Spoiler

Now that the efficacy of enchantments has been reduced heavily below the standard of most Voidal magic, I would like to introduce a potential change that might make some use of enchantments viable again, while filling a niche that has been relatively unfilled for a while.

This ability effectively allows Artificers to use enchantments as they were in the pre-nerf state, as the extra emote is counteracted by the loss of the activation emote, and Voidal weakness does not affect them since they must already be Voidally weak (unless they take Kani and Continuous Resonance, but I've nerfed that with a redline). I do not think this is particularly strong, and unless there is a crazy combination I am missing, I think this is a good way to simply establish a possible artificer niche wherein a specialized mage might actually consider using a lot of enchantments in order to allow them to cast more than mana supplies might allow, albeit at a slightly slower rate than normal casting. None of the old BS with enchantments is possible for the artificer with this ability, as they're weak and getting this ability itself takes a significant character investment (3 voidal magics without any other of the very good feats, locking the player out of most stuff) so in no way can this be used to give a random character invested in a holy or dark magic archmage capabilities.

I know artificery is intended to be a noncombative feat, but I feel that this addition fits very well with it and opens it up to a logical combative application, considering it shares a slot with combative ones. If there's some oversight I'm missing or suggestions let me know.

Voidal Artificery Amendment: Artificer's Boon [T3]

Spoiler

[Passive] [Combative] - Artificer's Boon

Ever-attuned to the principles of creation and well-familiarized with artifacts of their own make and that of others, the artificer of sufficient skill gains the ability to bypass the cumbersome activation process of the enchantments that they wield.

A Voidal Artificer that is connected to the Void may skip the activation process of the enchantments they use with the aid of their intimate understanding of artificed objects. This is done by directly stimulating the mana stored within an enchantment to action with the caster's mana rather than waiting for the slightly long-winded activation process of the enchantment itself.

Artificers skip the activation emote when attempting to activate an enchantment whilst connected to the Void. For instance, an enchantment of Flame Blast, which would normally take [5] emotes [Activate->Charge->Charge->Charge->Cast] would instead take [4] emotes [Charge->Charge->Charge->Cast]. 

Redlines

-If the caster is disconnected, the enchantment would cease casting harmlessly.

-All restrictions upon enchantments still apply, including the extra charging emote added. The only difference is that the activation emote is skipped, akin to normal Voidal casting while connected.

-If one were to use this ability in conjunction with Kani's Continuous Resonance, they would find the cast time on their enchantments doubled (after the Activation emote is removed) akin to normal casting utilizing Continuous Resonance.

Tier Progression

Spoiler

Before:

Tier 3

A Magi practiced in Voidal Artificery would be much more controlled and understanding of their abilities, grasping at the finer edges of their practice; able to utilize Manifestation and Voidal Feeling, alongside Creation.

After:

Tier 3

A Magi practiced in Voidal Artificery would be much more controlled and understanding of their abilities, grasping at the finer edges of their practice; able to utilize Manifestation and Voidal Feeling, alongside Creation and Artificer's Boon.

This seems like a pretty nice and relatively harmless addition to the feat. +1

Makes sense to me. +1

Sam:
> Drops Artificery

> Comes up with ideas to buff it

> Love it.

2 minutes ago, Laeonathan said:

Sam:
> Drops Artificery

> Comes up with ideas to buff it

> Love it.

never let them know your next move

Great idea, very creative thinking, but that's not allowed on lotc

Very interesting idea. Makes Artificery a more worthwhile feat to pick up and get yourself into with the required voidal investment.

Up until now, Artificery is merely a familiar/manifestation creation feat with voidal feeling without the requirement of Transfiguration that let you add on whimsical creations beyond the mastercraft..

(side note.)

I hate how the most interesting and thematic ability of creating whimsical and nonsensical items and tools that Artificery has, is locked behind the mastercraft unless you pick up or have Transfiguration. It doesen’t make sense to me how a different specific magic type is required to use Artificery for what it’s core theme is about

Thanks for listening to my ted talk, lmao

I love this idea oml you’re a genius sam