OUR POSITION AS CANONISTS

Alarich VON FELSEN. Stares at the notice, he reads it carefully then smiles. "Oh see i told ya." He gestured towards some unknown figure in the back. "If th' Pontiff wants to spend his days nappin', he can resign and go nap all e' wants!" The veteran then turned to face the unknown figure with a smile, though the smile and expression faded into a grim and somber gaze. He muttered "Wir sind verloren...."

35 minutes ago, Publius said:

"-like never before, as we tend to many mages in Hohkmat, and we prepare now, again, for war. That is the issue though, they do not ask me questions, but question me, they question Our Holy Church.

Our Commision on Magic leaves me stumped. There is one exception that really baffles me - this one about Scions. It is strictly forbidden, and for good reason, with what seems to be one exception, this Valindra. 

Why is she exempt? How can something be at once corrupting and intolerable, yet we are willing to make a single arbitrary exception? I do not know how to justify this as a Canonist, and I need this position clarified if I am to explain this to my parishioners. "

"They never understand, ever after -" The Watcher starts, eyeing the missive from the road. His Yisar nudges him, evidently unwilling to entertain aimless ramblings so early in the morning. A drawl out sigh escapes into the frigid air, as he circles the section he takes concern with. A reply is scribbled onto the either side, and hastily dropped off to a Courier as he passes a nearby settlement:

Monk Sakuraba,

I hope this finds you well - many of the concerns you list are well-founded, equally as others are derived from a lack of knowledge easily corrected. I can, of course, only speak of your concerns on the sections regarding Voidal Magics and Valindra, briefly. Such a conversation is nuanced and best done face-to-face, but a precursory explanation can be offered here.

If your contention is the accuracy of the objection, I would note the exact wording on the Commission - that such a practice enacts a heavy toll upon the individual, and thusly should be entrusted to those only with a strong enough Body, Mind, and Soul. If there is any single person alive who not only wholly fits this criteria, but has for several centuries without fail, it is Valindra. I doubt myself Canonism will see a Elf with both her devotion to the Faith and sheer grit for another ten-thousand years, and longer. 

In a similar argument lies the Art of Watching - no doubt the church is familiar with many a Mali' with stars embedded into their eyes, no better then the next mage. Watching entails with it a heavy burden, one many opt to ignore - one Valindra and I have tirelessly upheld through hatred and pleas of aid alike, from those of the Faith and otherwise. 

In truth, of my humble opinion, the Commission would benefit from elaboration - I know not what a 'Tier ' is, nor is it clear in a simple manner what each magical practice entails, down to the very risks to mind and soul. As you can imagine, after the perhaps-righteous prosecution mages have endured for the folly of Ando Alur and Celia'nor, few are willing to come forward and elaborate. Nevertheless, I would be happy to sit down over tea and discuss these questions you undoubtedly have, so you may further serve your parish in Truth and Fairness. I am not quite as knowledgeable as Valindra, but we both have been incredibly busy handling the Horror that has taken after His Holy Image to prey upon the Faithful Flock - I simply happen to have slightly more time. 

Please write back if such a meeting interests you with a date and location.

Kindly,

Lord-Magister Haus

Master of the Ziggurat of Hohkmat, Watcher of the Veil

@Publius

Nursing the sunburns from his many months in the deserts of Krug, the dwed reads over the missive with stoic, tired eyes. "So the Church finally begins to see, eh?" He grunted, and if he had any other words to speak, he spoke not. He shrugged the pack on his back, and continued down the road to home. "Ra's light guide those poor fools." He muttered.

Edited by GrenadierGaming

The Grand Magister of Hohkmat would note that it seemed followers of the Canonist flock seemed to only adhere to the decisions of their Pontiff, whence it suited their political interests or limited world view. "How...narrow of them" he would remark to some Magi around a table, taking a puff from a hookah pipe passed to him. 

He would eventually pen a note to the monk, if only briefly. 

"You say you visit the town of sorcerers frequently. I hope you might stop by my office during your next visit, so that you might converse one scholar to another. I trust if I ask you questions, you won't perceive that as a slight - but rather intellectual curiosity. "

Hastily signed. 

Razad the Fatebinder 

[!] A poem begins to be Penned soon after a long departed Princess returns

Those who crown themselves with miters and Pontifical robes

Are dry and polluted canals that humans long to drink from

Boats remain frozen in their abandoned and void place

The waters being a simulacrum of Golden Bulls

The bubbling and Refreshing springs they cut from themselves

Those who pass by are beginning to recognise there is nothing to drink

Only worms and serpents live within the canals.

Bushes of berries along the Shoreline with thorns and thistles baked inside and
dead man bodies pile on top of one another like firewood waiting to be burnt

Behold the crown jewels of those called servants and watchers.

7 minutes ago, PrimnyaQuorum said:

[!] Monk Matsuda Sakuraba received this missive in better spirits, wandering around the Monastery when he was approached by the Courier. Noting the contents with satisfaction, he penned a quick reply! [!]

Lord-Magister Haus,

I pray this reaches you in good health. I would be happy to sit and discuss these matters. I did not pen this missive to slander Valindra, or the arcane arts. I penned it to highlight the absurdity of the situation in our faith.

Magic is a realm I understand on only a basic level, like many devoted Canonists. This commission was to be a handy tool. But the work is not finished. This report was submitted in the time immediately following a horrible scandal in which the King of Haense and his family stand accused of being darkspawn. Our Pontiff released this commission, unfinished, rather than addressing this immediate crisis. You surely should understand how absurd it is for us, as clergy, to even comment on magic right now, considering the state of affairs.

My observation of Valindra was done, primarily, to highlight both the unclear nature of her exemption, the concern we as Canonists feel that it is done arbitrarily because there is no proper elaboration. Furthermore, that her relationship with and regarding the Church is the one the Pontiff has chosen to recently observe. How if we are to exempt an individual on an issue that is otherwise very clear, how we are to assuage the concern that an exemption may be given to a King who represents the largest army in the Covenant, may also be handled despite clear doctrine with far greater consequence.

We should meet soon, and I would even be willing to meet and speak with Valindra. I apologize if my address seems to attack those of you who take up arcane studies. With a complete commission, I think the issue will be laid to rest entirely. 

Again, my reference to it is simply to highlight how absurd it is that a darkspawn might be leading a whole Canonist nation, during a war led by both it and the Church, and how an incomplete address to Arcanum ends up the priority.

Write to me any location, time, I will try to arrive at a time suitable to you. I would love to dispel any perceived ignorance.

Warm regards,

Monk Matsuda Sakuraba

To the true Canonist Priests, Bishops, Cardinals.

I beseech you, write and speak to the PONTIFF the representative of God on earth, for I have written to him and avail no response.

As I have said, I am willing to LAY DOWN arms should the church so much as take control of the situation and launch an investigation not of HAENSETI control. In GODANS name, will he spare more bloodshed?

-Dutiful Servant, SIR RADMIR MONTALT.

A note promptly followed, arriving to the good monk with a black wax seal embellished with a silver Lorraine encased in an eye. 

To mine brother in faith, the good Monk

Matsuda Sakuraba,

Your concerns are entirely valid, and I by no means wish to downplay or invalidate them. Them void is a dangerous tool in the wrong hands. However, I would gladly explain my reasoning behind my verdicts if you would be willing to meet me as there is far too much to explain in one mere letter.  

Sincerely, Valindra

Dear good father Sakuraba,

Your concerns are entirely valid. Both Valindra and her student Haus are unfortunately corrupted individuals with souls tainted by the Ruinous Powers of the great Betrayer. There is a great bias, one that I suspect, and I am not alone in this suspicion, that there is a deep seated corruption involving these magicians, known who deal firmly with demons. These back room dealings with tainted voidal beings are what bring corruption into the world. It is written that GOD separated the world and the void. How can we exempt the void wizards who bring the void into our world simply because their practice is wide spread? How can we exempt even one magician like the blasphemer Valindra who allows the taint to touch her very soul? 

They wish to use their 'status' as sanctioned psykers to avoid criticism while they deal in darkness and bring ruin to the realms as they strive for powers they claim akin to GODAN most high. That is how her apprentice Haus got to his high position in the twisted city of magi. Trading his very soul to the archenemy and the lichking for his crown of power. 

Hark, ye, brother of the cloth. Do not be persuaded by magi in their innocence. For they seek just to not be called out for their unholy ways as they fraternize and enter polycules with demons and warlocks. May this letter find you well, and may you and your parish be blessed with righteous purity

Yours truly under Light,

-Holy Acolyte of the Flaming Path Ivan-I

Brother Rainier lets out a sigh "So long as the Pontiff indirectly condemns innocent canonists to die. He is unfit. I am glad to see the church is seeing that as a whole now.."