the case for banning homophobia

satinkira

Why not just ban everything thats irl 

17 minutes ago, satinkira said:

5011ae5bf43b53a2f2a3dd25f5bb8f5b.jpg

orc brain

truth be told if homophobia was banned currently and someone said 'should we unban it' everyone would go 'obviously not' so idk the onus is on you for explaining why in the face of what I've said it should remain, instead of just devolving to insults

you're right I don't like homophobia

17 minutes ago, satinkira said:

instead of just devolving to insults

Idk how many times u gotta crusade against this and be told several times abt why it's not a horrible thing to have. instead u again and again go through this grand rigmarole abt getting all forms of it banned for x y and z. 🙄

I would look towards the Player Conduct Policy! https://www.lordofthecraft.net/conduct/

Discrimination
Racism, Sexism, Transphobia, Homophobia, or other attacks used in a hateful or targeted manner immediately warrants admin intervention.

Harassment
Harassment occurs when someone incessantly attacks or targets a player or group with the intent to insult, intimidate, upset, or defame them.

Harassment can also occur when someone tries to contact/proposition another player (either directly or through a proxy) when they have been clear they do not wish to be contacted by them.

Any form of harassment immediately warrants admin intervention.

Derogatory Slurs
Derogatory slurs or comments (such as those surrounding ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexual orientation) made in official LotC mediums* is strictly prohibited. Further, using this kind of language on any medium towards members of our community can result in punishment if continued after being requested to stop.

You can report it! It's here! If theyre dropping hard Fs at you, they're bad! There is a fine line of being tasteful with being averted from someone irp, and being a blatant rulebreaker. 

1 hour ago, Enlightenment said:

If you don't like people's rp, ignore them, simple as. Goes for any sort of rp you don't like!

This would be a reasonable argument if it were physically possible- People cannot just ignore homophobia RP, as IRP laws influenced by it effect large portions of their characters lives. Even if I'm uncomfortable with it, I have to RP it, as doing otherwise would be ignoring IRP laws and significant RP events that it would make no RP sense to ignore or pretend don't exist.

I don't think tenets of religion billions subscribe to on entirely legitimate grounds should be banned from being expressed just because you have the same politics as burger king.

I think homosexuality is wrong. I believe this for religious and sociological reasons. 

I do not attack members of my community who are gay or transexual despite disagreeing with their life choices.

The imposition of a single narrow partisan view on the communal story telling is anti-thetical to what Lotc was and is. Perhaps the staff will cave to this new wave to moral hysteria.

We will see. If they do it will be another drastic cultural shift from the laissez faire freedom oriented ethos of old LOTC.

9 minutes ago, Solour said:

Idk how many times u gotta crusade against this and be told several times abt why it's not a horrible thing to have. instead u again and again go through this grand rigmarole abt getting all forms of it banned for x y and z. 🙄

I would note that you have not explained why it's a good thing to have

9 minutes ago, Solour said:

I would look towards the Player Conduct Policy! https://www.lordofthecraft.net/conduct/

Discrimination
Racism, Sexism, Transphobia, Homophobia, or other attacks used in a hateful or targeted manner immediately warrants admin intervention.

Harassment
Harassment occurs when someone incessantly attacks or targets a player or group with the intent to insult, intimidate, upset, or defame them.

Harassment can also occur when someone tries to contact/proposition another player (either directly or through a proxy) when they have been clear they do not wish to be contacted by them.

Any form of harassment immediately warrants admin intervention.

Derogatory Slurs
Derogatory slurs or comments (such as those surrounding ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexual orientation) made in official LotC mediums* is strictly prohibited. Further, using this kind of language on any medium towards members of our community can result in punishment if continued after being requested to stop.

You can report it! It's here! If theyre dropping hard Fs at you, they're bad! There is a fine line of being tasteful with being averted from someone irp, and being a blatant rulebreaker. 

this speaks to OOC; the rule change I would desire is one that includes IRP, and the reasons and principles for such are detailed in the main post that I must once again ask you take the time to read and respond to

6 minutes ago, Narthok said:

I don't think tenets of religion billions subscribe to on entirely legitimate grounds should be banned from being expressed just because you have the same politics as burger king.

not being homophobic is not the same thing as having the same politics as burger king

6 minutes ago, Narthok said:

I think homosexuality is wrong. I believe this for religious and sociological reasons. 

I do not attack members of my community who are gay or transexual despite disagreeing with their life choices.

The imposition of a single narrow partisan view on the communal story telling is anti-thetical to what Lotc was and is. Perhaps the staff will cave to this new wave to moral hysteria.

We will see. If they do it will be another drastic cultural shift from the laissez faire freedom oriented ethos of old LOTC.

truth be told, I was under the impression that not being homophobic was a fairly bipartisan viewpoint; indeed, pope francis has come out in favour of ending anti-gay laws and permitting non-straight individuals into the catholic church (the community which I assume you speak of)

I have yet to see an interesting story generated by homophobia; I've yet to speak to a single person who's seen an interesting story generated by homophobia. I'd ask you not to equate my post to moral hysteria; the post itself is not hysterical in nature and I'd urge you to read it with an open mind rather than one viewing what I write through the lens of the modern culture wars

isn't this just a duplicate thread?

Just now, ReveredOwl said:

isn't this just a duplicate thread?

I assure you I wrote this myself

the only thing stories involving homophobia do is spread irp hate... i dont get any other argument. how is it, like, fun, to spread hate irp? it's one thing to be a supervillain irp and shit cuz not only is it fun to be the villain but nobody in the real world will experience being killed by a fuckin lich lord, though they very well may experience being hated or discriminated upon for being homosexual

34 minutes ago, satinkira said:

5011ae5bf43b53a2f2a3dd25f5bb8f5b.jpg

Seriously though, I think that could be some interesting rp!

26 minutes ago, ScoutTheWitch said:

It is genuinely baffling to be this attached to real world bigotry.

If the categories of bigotry which are banned on the server were expanded to cover homophobia, what changes? What is so fundamentally altered that you feel you have to rally against such?

I do not understand in the slightest.

Edit, Addendum:

To quote Reggie Fils Aime, "If it's not fun, why bother?" We are all here to play a game together, and if something is hindering people's ability to have fun with this game, then what fun of yours is being taken away to allow people to better enjoy their hobby?

also this post is so incredibly true on 1000 levels.

30 minutes ago, Proddy said:

the final boss of lotc...

the ceo of homphobia.

The end game boss.

Just now, TeawithFrisket said:

The end game boss.

the end game boss is the constant server crashes lol

Just now, Enlightenment said:

Seriously though, I think that could be some interesting rp!

I cant tell if ur baiting or not but a cult centred around legalising gay marriage in the church is not interesting rp. heres a cat photo just in case you are baiting

4eb587a38e9813dbe5fc42ce20fa4026.jpg

1 minute ago, satinkira said:

I cant tell if ur baiting or not but a cult centred around legalising gay marriage in the church is not interesting rp. heres a cat photo just in case you are baiting

4eb587a38e9813dbe5fc42ce20fa4026.jpg

I'm being utterly serious

1 minute ago, Enlightenment said:

I'm being utterly serious

If you'd like to pursue such a thing then I wish you good luck