[PK] A Scorched van Leuven

A Scorched van Leuven
Fire Original Oil Painting by Aleksey Vaynshteyn | Alexbox

The Death of Adela Taronitissa van Leuven

Spoiler

The cause of the fire was unknown, though it was furiously evident as it rose to great heights, scorching the walls and bursting the glass panes of framed windows. 

My leg throbbed with anguish for skin began to peel away from muscle and tissue below, fuming with the sickly scent of burnt flesh. I couldn’t feel the pain which surely coursed from it however, as I pivoted to the stairs in a flurry of misguided steps. Forcing through any disastrous fumbles I found the nursery in which half of my children rest: Mauhaut, Anton, and Eudoxia. They hacked as smog invaded their lungs, releasing in a chorus of exasperated breaths. 

No, no, no.

The hearth blazed with the pooled remains of an evergreen curtain, continuously feeding the fire as it ate away at the surrounding memories - pictures, furniture, scrolls. The hundreds of items I’ve been surrounded with since my own later youth, devastated by the starvations of these ravaging flames. We will have to rebuild. As my twins clung to my flanks I continued to press forth toward the door, Eudoxia hugged to my bodice for her lungs were the youngest. As I neared the entrance the sight of curious and panicked others began to surround my household's exterior, yet none offered aid, none of the BSK were yet in sight. With every strength I could muster through my core I pivoted, seeking to thrash my clinging children to whatever kind stranger remained outdoors. For now I must depart, yet my feet still, and the hesitation overwhelms me. I need an excuse, an excuse to leave, an excuse to step outside, an excuse to remain ins-...

The relics.

How could I forget? The sharp discomfort in my leg became more evident now as I twisted away from the door, thundering towards the cellar with haggard gasps, smoke depriving me of both mind and air. I could only think of the future and past, for the present lay disastrous in its torment. All my mother had fought for, all that Priscilla had fought for, all my grandmother and great aunts had fought for. The door already began to crumble in its charred state, allowing for the easy grip of trembling digits as I began to tear away at whatever remained of silver hinges. I could only thank GOD in haste murmurs for the cobblestone walls sweat in its protective state, deprived of flames though intense with unforgiving humidity. My hands bled now with previous efforts, but gathered whatever they may in eyesight. Anything and everything of relevance: family heirlooms, family history, our personal belongings. It had to survive, it was the blueprint to our life, to our future. 

Ratibor.

How could I be so selfish? He was home. I felt a newfound burst of adrenaline pump through my calves, allowing me to rush through the house once more with a crate of gathered items in hand, my scorched skirts flourished with panicked pace. Only moments could be spared as I came across the door once more - the sight of three sobbing children kept at bay by strangers. In a mournful shriek I alerted my dearest son, Anton, and tossed the box to him from within - few items of lesser relevance scattered near the entry, but it mattered naught now. Was that burnt flesh that embraced his cheeks? I must find their father. 

The sound of groaning wood echoed inside the house, as the wails of merciless flames continued to consume everything around me. I could only focus on finding Ratibor, my love, my partner, my life. As I carried along through that maze of death and fire, my heart patterned with exertion, my energy dwindling. Something soft felt on my soles, beneath pillars of rubble. Ratibor? The sight of a mangled body filled my vision, grotesque with twisted limbs and peeling flesh, features churned in a horrific display. He was alive, he had to be. I grabbed onto him, feeling the warmth of boiling blood as I pulled and heaved, the sounds of groans and wails around me turning into screams. Please, do not leave me, do not leave. I cannot step outside with you, be my shield as you promised, be my foundation. 

Creaa-... Bang.

I felt the intense pressure of rubble atop of me, piercing into my body as I became pinned to the floor. Pain erupted throughout my entire being, embedding me with its memory and stain, it was torment. It burned, it hurt, it was merciless. Ratibor was dead, I was deceived by hope. I was dead. Did GOD grace him with swift death unlike my own? As the feeling of life slipped from my frame, I could only think of seven things-...

Adelina,

Elliot,

Junien,

Eilys,

Mahaut,

Anton,

Eudoxia.

As light filled the space before me, I stood before a large paradise filled to the brim of fellow Canonists, those who paraded on the clouds above. Beside me was the warm hand of Ratibor, lips placed into a kind smile, and together we stepped forth into the embrace of warmth and GOD. No longer did the outside strangle me with fear, I was freed. 

THE OBITUARY OF ADELA TARONITISSA VAN LEUVEN
XldbgHsSBNT-3oEk3TgpMAksF50LO6-cDtLOQuC1Ggr24YxCBJSyu2HO5ROnTC3hJ29NN6tlXGaQcEvFf-mgtGdvsZKxrr2i2pQLJdnBu0Cx-J35ud1dF-hNYqP_h2oXAguNl4CVJcVphrSgIJbmWpQ

485-521||1932-1968

**In Loving Memory of Adela Taronitissa van Leuven**

Adela Taronitissa, a beloved wife, mother, sister, and friend, passed away tragically in a fire alongside her devoted husband. Born to loving parents, she brought warmth and joy to all who knew her. Adela's legacy of love and compassion will forever be cherished by her seven children: Adelina Claire, Elliot Aleksander, Junien Caisin, Eilys Taronitissa, Mahaut Marie, Anton Johan, and Eudoxia Leontina. 

Her unwavering love extended beyond her immediate family, touching the lives of many. Adela Taronitissa’s brother Nicholas Archibald, niece Yvaine Mathilde, and sister-in-law Giselle Penelope mourn her loss deeply, finding solace in the countless memories they shared together. 

Adela Taronitissa's presence illuminated every room she entered, her kindness and generosity leaving an indelible mark on the hearts of those fortunate enough to have known her. While her departure leaves a void in our lives, her spirit will continue to live on in the countless lives she has touched.

In this time of sorrow, let us remember Adela Taronitissa's boundless love and enduring spirit, finding comfort in the memories we shared. Though she may have left this world too soon, her legacy will continue to shine brightly, guiding us through the darkness with the light of her memory.

Furthermore, it is by decree of her will that the following shall be established:

* The publication, House van Leuven: Succession, shall be followed accordingly.

* The children of Adela Taronitissa shall be provided wardship under Her Ladyship Irena Stefaniya Kortrevich;

* Adela Taronitissa shall be given a proper funeral by the state, where her body will be laid in the ground, and given formal Canonist burial rites.

Spoiler

This character was to help establish the next gen of van Leuven, so while she wasn't fully fleshed out, I enjoyed the creativity which surrounded her, and was pleased to have the privilege of using her to assist @sarahbarahin some of her court writings. Thank you for everything! Until my... (perhaps) actual return to the server proper.

Irena Kortrevich signs the Lorraine, but still isn't sure how she ended up with seven more children, for a grand total of fifteen...

Mahaut, barely at an age to understand death, tumbled into the dirt and gravel of the Trelkastriet neighborhood as her mother thrust her and her siblings outside. Before the little girl could get up and run back to the house, she found herself firmly in the arms of a blonde-haired stranger ( @Koodini) from saints’ days before. She was off the ground, one soot-smothered plushie in her left hand, while the other gripped onto the adult who scooped her up.

If fawns are disturbed or can't find their kin, they will bleat for their mother. A daughter of van Leuven is no different. She wailed and shrieked for her mother and father, one who never emerged from the home and the other who was so close yet so far. Despite all of Mahaut’s pleas and cries for them both, neither came running from the inferno. With all the prior coughing, the little girl's screams didn't last for long, the sound of flames and creaking wood overpowering her ruckus. 

Mahaut was defeated and tired. She gripped tightly onto the blonde, as nothing but a heap of hoarse mumbles and tears, and moved further from the dangerous fire. Meanwhile, a silver-haired stranger ( @RingAroundRosey ) flanked the two and cooed words of comfort to the disheveled, little girl.

Spoiler

o7 banger piece pollo! hope to see you around the server again soon

A sickly Queen mourns a longtime friend, praying for her peaceful ascent to the Skies.

"We will see each other soon, my friend. Soon enough."

Elliot van Leuven's small dream of becoming a firefighter was quickly vanquished. 

Eilys van Leuven knees had buckled from beneath herself at the sight of the roaring flames. The first thing that came to her was the scent of smoke and of burning flesh. And the second? The sight of peeled back flesh, of her mother - a hermit, her spiritual form standing just outside the house. A ghost. Her father beside her. The deathly scene was too much, and she'd careened to the ground, the cursed van Leuven falling unconscious amidst her elder sisters screams and cries.

Adelina van Leuven had skipped happily through the neighborhood, excited to share the stories of her day with her beloved parents. Though, instead of being met with the smell of warm cookies, she was met with the smell of burning wood and flesh. "MEA HOUSE!" she cried out for all around to hear. "Nie!! Where es mamaj ag papaj!" All she could do was cry out as onlookers came to her aid. Through her sobs and grief, she still made sure she was with all of her siblings, and that each of them were safe. "Es ordak, es ordak," she reassured them. "Eam here, ea promise. . . ea shall keep up safe. . . we shall stay together." Her words trembled through her cries.

The eldest van Leuven girl held her siblings close to her, making a vow to never let them be harmed and to always protect them with all of her power. She was now the Matriarch of her family. It was her responsibility as the eldest to care for all of her younger siblings, and she took this responsibility seriously. This one, tragic, event would change the young girl forever. No longer would she be the bubbly, outspoken, and friendly girl; she would now be a child of seriousness and driven by the expectations and duty placed on her. 

A scorched Anton Van Leuven escaped the flames by a narrow mark, his mother's sacrifice weighing on him heavily as he cried out, though deafened by the surrounding commotion. As the flames engulfed his only known home, lashing out from broken windows and melting away each brick and board founding the home, he could do little but watch, a helpless observer of the chaos. "  LEAVE MAMEJ!  " Gripping his sister's drapes, the boy watched the door with utter desperation, hoping  - nei praying that his mother would emerge from the smoking entrance, telling them all would be well. In all the commotion, not even Anton would realize the severe burns covering his left hand; back, and front traveling partway up his forearm. Likely to leave a nasty scar.