What is GOOD banditing?

gremlockgremlin

Good banditing is where I lose items but I still had fun during the rp.

Good banditing is when I had the option of fighting back or, wasn't forced into a "Halt" *puts sword to neck emote.

Good banditing is being able to create RP for someone, and not just focus on getting loot.

Out of the dozen or so times I've been bandited, there was only one case where I couldn't talk my way out of it. Being worldly, knowing different cultures and factions, and being friends with them or at least aware of them, made getting bandited a really cool experience. I play a very political character, and getting to use that background information to get out scott-free feels really validating in a dangerous, edge-of-the-knife way. I think the essence there is to play people and not just an outlet for something meta, all those bandits weren't just out to kill or get goodies, they were just in it for some mischief.

7 hours ago, gremlockgremlin said:

I have seen many debates over discords, many torn thoughts about the infamous Bandit roleplay. 

I want to know what is good bandit roleplay? 

What makes it fun to bandit or be bandited? 

What makes it less interactive? 

I like that bandit rp forces you to take risks, it makes you have to venture out and interact with people who might end your persona. I made friends by being a bandit while playing my goblin and I will not forget them who I had great rp with. 

Being bandited is not so fun from what I have heard. I think a conversation about it could be useful to highlight the good and bad about banditing. 

I believe conversations about these topics can help to shed light on the pains associated with them so that the climate can improve as well as the moderation/rules surrounding them. 

I began this discussion, over the past day or two. My issues were with the lack of Soulbinds existing as a rule for RP interactions - because I have been told by a GM that a soulbound item cannot be taken or thieved from someone's inventory or hand. So then how does it translate to RP? Does it just magically not leave their hand, ever?

It needs a proper rule put in place, rather than some vague community say-so without any actual rule mention.

Good rp is usually rewarded. If you put forth effort in your banditry to be interesting, I've seen players even un-soulbind items to give as rewards for well-done crp and enjoyable encounters.  Focus on what makes the other player happy, treat yourself (as a bandit) like an event for the player you're taking things from. Don't stack yourself to win every time, don't expect to get a kill, be OOCly respectful too and players will be much more likely to give up  their items. :)

14 hours ago, Rigorous said:

I advise the people who despise bandit rp so much to actual rp consequences and politely communicate with the people they're role-playing with. A lot of the time, if you show an openness for discussion and a willingness to negotiate consequences, other players will respond positively.

This.

When I bandit, I have one simple principle.

1. The victim must be tricked off-road.

This is it. If I am unable to trick them to get them off-road, then I don't bandit them, simple as that. Trying to trick them is pretty damn fun, and usually the victim is more happy to play around with it, because I'm at the very least giving them a shot. If they get tricked, their usual response isn't "Ah, **** me, another bandit attack" it's more like "Damn it! I should have been wiser"

The player is now genuingly at fault, they were the one who screwed up, not only is the trickery roleplay quite fun, it also lowers toxicity because the victim feels as though they had a good chance to avoid it, and is more likely to blame themselves rather than the perpetrator.

it's also way more fun of the bandit aswell, it's genuingly quite enjoyable thinking of different ways to lure your target off road. You can pretend that your friend is "in danger" or you need the victim's help to collect herbs or something. You can even pretend to be injured or something, common tricks that real life bandits would do.

let me tell you, there's nothing fun about wandering on the road and hear "HALT STOP RIGHT THERE" *Unsheathes sword and blocks path* It's tedious and a bit annoying in all honesty. No good roleplay comes out of it.

Edited by Epicethan4

On 3/20/2024 at 3:13 PM, gremlockgremlin said:

Thank you @Turbo_Dogfor highlighting this! very good observation of you as I had no clue if such a guide existed. Maybe this needs another look to be brought up to standard with maybe more advice to bring fourth better banditry roleplay

The guides in the guide roleplay section are really good to reference especially when starting off to get your bearings. I remember using the villain guide when I made my inferi and stemming off from it after I knew what I wanted to do and seeing it worked with others.

bandits arent real they're all just want to be your friends!

I find the biggest flaw with banditry to be laziness - laziness on the part of the bandit AND laziness on the victim of the banditry. Let us start with the former.

Unfortunately, the style of banditry that most people are familiar with is led by individuals or groups that appear (italics added for emphasis) to be acting without regard to whether their victim is enjoying the RP. As with all RP, the experience is elevated when their is mutual understanding, or even a mutual pursuit of furthering their characters story narrative. Banditry, in its most common implementation, feels out of place and lacking in purpose, largely due to the bandits seemingly hasty and noncreative approach to the act. Like any type of RP, the quality of RP should not be neglected.

Now, I believe the laziness of the victim is a direct result of the history and experience of banditry on the server as well as a result of the way the server works. Poor banditry roleplay has created an expectation among the player base that when they hear the common "HALT" emote, their mood quickly sours. While understandable, it is still not always acceptable. Rather, these players should ideally give bandits a chance - otherwise the situation will only be worse for everyone. 

I've very much gone from someone who's OK with banditry to someone who doesn't really like it in the span of the long-ass war we had when banditry was plenty.

Mainly as mentioned before - it just comes out of nowhere while i'm minding my own buisiness & often it has 0 consequences or gain RP wise to the one who loses.

Not to say i haven't had good bandit RP happen to me. I've enjoyed getting ran down and pockets emptied time-to-time by the road or bonked & injured or whatnot.
However, my experience has definitly suffered due to my own sourness over getting constantly bombarded with raids & banditry for months & pet peeves i've developed with it.
It's hard to enjoy it when half your side dips or doesn't care, because they don't want to deal with it & you know the rag-tag group of bandits are for some reason carrying around weapons made of x material or use magic that will 1 shot you. Because everyone NEEDS to win CRP, which i  think is also a big problem. People don't like taking L's, especially in banditry because often it mean's you lose most of your shit.

Is it silly to get heated over a pixel game? Yes. But i can't help it to become a salty ***** from sometime for spending x amount of hours & get nothing from it.