What makes LotC, LotC?

marimbamonk

the sandbox aspect. there's no cohesive "plot" to LOTC unlike something like a DND campaign or other roleplaying mediums, meaning that you have freedom to the absolute maximum to do what you want with your character, even with profound lore regulations in place. of the few times I've taken hiatuses, I tried to explore other RP mediums but none of them came even close to scratching the itch LOTC does. it's also extremely diverse in playerbase, RP niche, and RP quality

5 hours ago, alexmagus said:

I'd have to say the OOC scheming and major toxicity within nations? Idk how you'd adapt that to a Netflix show, but it needs to be added!

I always thought the OOC aspects of the server would make for incredibly detailed narratives were they adopted into the "rp" as well, because I think in a sense it is inherently intertwined.

For something "OOC" like a netflix adaption yeah I think the OOC aspects would be just as fascinating as the RP timeline.

ferdaboys. it wouldnt be lotc without him

The OOC story of LOTC is more often than not what makes the RP so fascinating. The IRL blood sweat and tears that goes into a lot of these projects is what lends them so much RP cloud and nostalgia. The Empire is a good example of that, Mali literally not sleeping for days so we could have functioning minecraft democracy on a nationwide scale. (This is when oren was like 25%< of the server population lmfao)

9 hours ago, alexmagus said:

I'd have to say the OOC scheming and major toxicity within nations? Idk how you'd adapt that to a Netflix show, but it needs to be added!

Exactly what I was thinking. I'll add on to it by saying LOTC would be one of them Netflix shows that makes you angry but still keeps your attention. Aka despite it all we still stay on it lol

LOTC adaptation about the 9th time some guys in wigs tried to rebuild the Roman Orenian Empire

The continuous RP, where anyone can just hop in and out. Also the fascinating history that's accumulated over the years

A human whose parents are murdered by orcs after they attack his rural village. He escapes with his life to the nearest town where he reports it to the guards of a nearby keep. The lord of the keep tells the guards to stand down and to not attack these orcs out of fear of retaliation, but they strike out anyway and pursue these orcs with the child on horseback. The guards manage to kill the orcs, though suffering heavy losses, and they return to the keep. The lord forbids them from coming back ever again for their insubordination. They take the child with them to the nearest city where they look for work and hope to train the child to adapt to the world around him. He becomes a darkspawn slayer and a mercenary that wanders the realms where he learns of and engages in the various societies while having run-ins with groups and families that are iconic to LOTC. The series ultimately follows a story of grappling with the forces around you in a dog-eat-dog world. You can improve your skills and better the world in some way perhaps but your story is its own. Perhaps at the end, it can be revealed somehow that this is a retelling of a human folk story in a book that rests among thousands in an Elven library. I feel that LOTC would largely be similar to generic high fantasy fiction because it's an amalgamation of various high fantasy stories blended together. However, I think the appearance of groups like the Lectors, Azdrazi, or general references to Aengudaemons even if they're not shown would make such a story unique.

There’s a whole lot to go off of from a perspective to fit into a show but I feel like the best use with the goal of source material given there was budget for all of it would be based more on the greater aspects of the whole server’s lore in which players can and have actively 

participated in

the best use of “lotc” as a whole for a concept like that would be to make a whole bunch of different types of media with how many different stories and possibilities are jammed into the server.

if lotc was a netflix show you'd have a moment during the season climax where our main characters are conspiring to kill the king of a large and important nation, however as they're about to do the deed everyone would freeze, the king in question would start saying #looc before his sentences and say he's making a thing called a "modreq". our cast of heroes and the king would go back and forth whilst saying #looc before every sentence about why they have done a thing called "valid rp" to get to this moment. then a figure known as a "moderator" would teleport into the room, tell our protagonists that they were "metagaming" and they must leave and the credits would roll.

Nation wars when people start appearing out of nowhere to grab a sword and helm

On 4/11/2024 at 1:23 PM, marimbamonk said:

One of my biggest debates is the inclusion of the Human religions

I think the Canonist and even Qalasheen aspects of the server still remain extremely important cultural aspects that are bound to history (like Horen and multiple other human figures integral to the lore, let alone the alliance between Pontiff James II and Aenguls).

The Scrolls themselves are, fun fact, are close enough to some parts of the actual creation lore of LOTC (albeit not exact, and with their own cultural biases and dogmas, especially when interpreted). Yes, LOTC's universe is tied to an all-powerful entity in lore - and the Scrolls do get some aspects of early aegis history quite correct (although that doesn't mean that canonists have the "true" religion so to speak - and that's what makes it so fun IMO - flawed and imperfect, even extreme beliefs can lead to a lot of interesting narratives). Thusly, Canonism is pretty integral to LOTC for me, despite not rping one. It has literally shaped and influenced the server in many ways, started wars, and ended them.

I believe that in any sort of adaptation, canonism would have to be featured in some aspect especially as it has to do with standard humans. If you remove the cross symbology from Canonism, you effectively get a pretty neat religion that does follow closely in some regards to aspects of the Christian faith, but falls pretty neatly into its own fantasy religion with a crazy amount of depth besides "muh christian larp". Without canonism you'd lose a lot of the politics, reasoning, and spirituality integral to most human history - including wars, empires, and so on. Its inseparable. But all that also depends on the story you want to tell - but canonism, like most other religions on the server, always end up being propped up or relevant in some way, and are in this case inescapable. 

it would be an episodic/anthology style show which goes from plot to plot because the cool thing about lotc is the 350 players all having their own narratives. infinite potential and possibilities

I concur with Satinkira. FitMC must be the narrator.