The Cult of Kla'Dhon

Rilath

43 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the lore?

• Yes! Please implement!
    • Yes! But change this part! (State below)
    • No! It needs to be different! (State below how)
    • No! This idea is terrible!

Long ago, back when the four races lived in Aegis, and Iblees held a tight grip on the world, there was a certain group of cultists. It was a small, but very powerful group during it's prime.

It had started out as a group that proclaimed neutrality to the races and to the Undead/Ascended conflict. Eventually, however, Iblees began to slowly corrupt their minds, filling their heads with mad thoughts and slowly driving them insane. In an attempt to stop the corruption, the leader of the group developed a form of magic. This magic was different from all other forms at that time. It was a more ritualistic form of magic, relying on chants and incantations. It seemed to dull the effects on the madness Iblees was forcing on them. Sadly though, and unbeknownst to him, his colleagues were already too far gone. He taught them how to use the newly created magic, and afterwards, they killed him.

The madness did not fully erase who they were. They retained their memories, only they had become twisted, more evil. With the death of their past leader, they appointed one of their own to take his place. His name was Kla'Dhon. Kla'Dhon had already had some knowledge of magic before he joined with the group, and he used his knowledge to adjust the magic that they were taught. It was the same in every way, except it no longer removed the effects of Iblees' madness, instead it slowly caused it to worsen.

These cultists came up with a way to bring utter destruction to the world of Aegis. There was only one problem, though, they needed one more member to have enough power to pull it off. As luck would have it, they found the person for the position. Another person with a background in the magical arts. They taught him their newly redone magic, every thing they could. Fortunately for the denizens of Aegis, the plan would never come to fruition, for on the very day the ritual was to take place, a group of heroes made their way to the nether to stop Iblees once and for all. As the world began to crumble around them, they remained, intent to fall with Iblees. Though one of them was afraid. The one most recently inducted into the order hadn't lost his sanity completely, and as the others prepared for death, he ran. He finally found his way to the ships, making his way with the others to the fabled new land 'Asulon.'

When he arrived, he hid from everyone, practicing his magic in secret. After a time of 57 years, he finally perfected the magic, though it did, however, come with a price. He had finally lost all of what remained of his sanity. After some time, he came up with a way to destroy Asulon, as the cultists had for Aegis in the past. To do this, though, he would need more colleagues. He appointed himself Vol'Nukh The Divine, the same title Kla'Dhon had given himself. Shrouded in his spells, he set about recruiting those with the highest potential. Eight more people to bring the world to it's knees.

And this is where the real story begins...

Spells

The Cult of Kla'Dhon uses a ritualistic magic. Performing the proper chant is the only way their magic can be used.

The first spell gives the caster control over the shadows, allowing them to appear and disappear as long as there is shade nearby. But it's not really teleportation, per say, more of just vanishing and able to walk through the Shadow as long as it doesn't give way to light. The second you touch light, you're back to reality. It is characterized by the very noticeable column of smoke that appears whenever this spell is cast. It can only be cast by saying the phrase "Tal'Nuriik, Sol Driiznir."

The second spell allows for communication with The Divine. When you use this spell, you can contact The Divine, and The Divine alone. The Divine may relay your messages to the other cultists, as he can communicate with all of them. You can use this after uttering "Sikh'lunh Boldruh'Jurl."

The third spell allows the cultist to possess another person. During this time, the body of the cultist is vulnerable, and therefore it is not a good idea to use this one in public, for if the body of the cultist is destroyed while in this state, the soul will remain inside the body of the other person and that person will regain control. Note: You cannot use this spell for any sort of combat. I made this spell with the idea that these cultists are not physically strong people, meaning that they'd need people to do menial labor. With this spell, they can do it without tiring their own bodies out. Also, you need to have the other player's consent to possess them. Before you attempt it, mind you. This spell is only usable after saying "Shil'Varmun, Lirn'Wundaer Kol'Grakhno"

Drawbacks

It should be quite obvious what the main drawback is. Using this magic slowly drives the person insane, causing them to lose the ability of rational thought. Each spell also has its own drawbacks. I have stated the drawback of the third spell. For the first spell, only the body parts that are in the shade will be able to travel through the shadows. Meaning that if your head is in the sunlight and the rest of your body isn't, using this spell will put your body in the shadows, leaving your head behind and essentially killing you. As for the second spell, there is no real drawback for this, other than if you are speaking to The Divine, you cannot hear anything other than him. Basically rendering the user deaf until finished.

Other Info

I hope you all really enjoyed reading this and I hope you leave some support. I've been developing this lore since December, and because of the event I started while in the E-Team, I came up with names for the characters and better, less powerful spells for them to have. It should be noted, this form of magic can not be used for combat in any way, only for defense and for escapes if need be. I may add more spells later depending on any thoughts that may come to mind. Thanks again.

EDIT: To clarify a bit on the ending of the lore, where it says 'eight more people...' what that means, is that at first, I'm only going to have eight other members of the cult, nine total. I've been asked the question a few times, so I decided to just put it in the post.

-Shadow

For Blawharag:

The Shadow-Walking, as you called it, could be made a bit more difficult. I wasn't sure how difficult it would be, as it was intended to be their most used spell. But it's not really teleportation, per say, more of just vanishing and able to walk through the Shadow as long as it doesn't give way to light. The second you touch light, you're back to reality. (Oh, there goes gravity..)

It is entirely through thought during the mind linking spell, and yes, all members become deaf. For that reason, it presents what I perceive as a drawback, as if you are in the middle of something, and your character suddenly becomes deaf for an indiscriminate amount of time, they might think that's a bit odd, and needs some investigation. And it is not just deafness, you'd basically be in a trance, as this is very draining, because I would like to assume that the people I choose will not be a few blocks apart when communicating, but continents apart. You'd be able to see what is going on around you. If it would make more sense to change it to "Everyone can speak to the leader (Me), but only the leader can establish simultaneous communication," that might work a bit better, possibly. Let me know your thoughts on that as well.

Well, at first, I'd like self teaching to be impossible until I get at least two or three other members to join me, as I don't think it'd be a very good thing for a bunch of people self teaching themselves this, when only one person could possibly know about it. But if self teaching were to happen when I have say four to my maximum of nine people, we'd make an effort to stop it. Most likely we'd try to get the person to a secluded area with promises of assistance with teaching, and then sacrifice them to the patron Daemon, Iblees. Or, if all else fails, we'd hire someone to deal with them for us.

Ok the shadow-walk makes a bit more sense now then. Though while we are on the subject, say there is a bridge of shade between two larger shadows. If you went to travel between them, but your body was larger than the bridge, would you remain hidden or would the parts unable to fit lie exposed as you walked (ultimately, I assume, being severed due to the design of the spell)?It might be that the spell works better with everyone contacting the leader and the leader contacting back. When you are just about done with the lore, Ill go in detail about the limits that have to be applied to this spell, and you can decide how best to accommodate them. Like I said, there is flexibility within the limits themselves, so odds are we can find a way to make your design work without having to fudge any details, whichever design you end up choosing.P.S. Sorry about my unresponsiveness on TS, I mistakenly left myself logged in while I was at school and work all day.

Well, the lore is basically done. The ending sentence is eluding to the future of the cult, not that I'm not finished writing.

In response to the first question, it depends on how much larger. If it was just an inch or so, then I don't think you'd have to expose the outer inch of you. On the other hand, if it was quite a large difference in size, then you'd have to just walk there exposed.Hope this helped, and I hope that by you saying that we can work together to get this idea working, you mean that the magic team likes this idea?

-Shadow

...So...

...Much...

...Yes...

This lore is very well written, very entertaining, and I love the fact that it was made without the intention of combat. Awsome.

I like the concept and it's a very smooth idea, and I have a suggestion to help people have a better general understanding of how it works. Perhaps to help better understand the magic you could have some scenarios of how it is roleplayed, and also show where the magic comes from. Also, even though it is known generally, you might want to put somewhere that possession needs to have the other player's permission.

I love the idea, and the magic :D.

I added needing the other player's permission for possession. Thank you for reminding me of that. I will also make up some scenarios of fake things that have happened to demonstrate how to roleplay the cultist properly. Thank you for the suggestion.

-Shadow

I love it and would really be interested in playing one of these characters. This is really creative, and not intended for combat. Should definitely be implemented.

Yes, oh god please yes.

This was the most fun i've had while on the E-team, and still to this date, some of the most enjoyable RP i've had on LoTC in-general.

How will this magic be useful with only one shade left in existence? At least the first spell seems limited.

EDIT: Ignore my post, I was confusing 'The Shade' with 'Shade magic'.

It's fine, Kalenz. I understand the confusion, considering I also wrote Shade magic. But do not worry, the two styles are not related in any way at all.

-Shadow

Almost makes me want to kill of Selina so I can make an apprentice.

One question however,

What happened regarding Shade lore, last I heard you wanted it removed from the server.

I have given Salamandra RP control over the Shades, although I still have OOC control. That was my decision, as since I already killed off Riley, I cannot really assume RP control over them anymore.