[✓] The Corruption Of Magic

Supremacy

But either way the aspects are Aenguldaemons, no? Would it make sense to have a double standard with Aenguldaemons?

I might also think within druidism in some cases the person learning druidism could go insane?. Such as the constant thread of the aspects blessing with also the connection to /all/ nature around you, feeling it's every pulse, ect. Would be something as another weakness? Although I would not think that a druid could get physically weak over this~, Perhaps something else upon druids needs to be re-written as they do provide weaknesses or plus's different to holy magic.

What about blacksmiths(who are already pretty strong) learning arcane magic? Would their strength just gradually diminish?

The Ascended are physically weaker once they train for a substantial amount of time, and any form of physical combat would be based around grace and agility more than physical punch. Most if not all Ascended are incapable of wearing anything but light plated armour at the most and are incapable of using heavy brutish two handed weapons. Ever Orc Ascended would suffer greatly in strength, but from this weakness in strength an Orc Ascended would become much smarter and more understandable than the average orc instead. Weapons Ascended could use would be such things as rapier swords, daggers, light pole-arms and halberds, spears, battle staves (the common weapon of the Ascended) and light maces. 

We had these downsides set up long before any downsides were ever thought out for the rest of magic on LOTC, and Undead from what I remember follow a similar pattern as well, although be it they rely more heavily on destructive magic than actual weapons. Whilst Ascended rely more heavily on Defensive magic and magic used to evade harm (Blink, wards etc).

I believe the lack of corruption from Shamanism is due to the fact that the Ancestral and Spiritual planes are a natural and pure form of power. Unlike the Void, where humanoids were never intended to interact, shamans interact with natural sources of power. A Spirit is a sentient being who holds power over one of the many elements and an Ancestor is simply a soul that has passed on from our world. That makes both of them natural power sources from which a Shaman may request assistance or guidance, rather than an Arcane mage who forces power from the Void or a Cleric/Necromancer who essentially signs away their life to higher forces.

Mind you, this isn't official. It's just how I've managed to put it all together in my head.

I believe the lack of corruption from Shamanism is due to the fact that the Ancestral and Spiritual planes are a natural and pure form of power. Unlike the Void, where humanoids were never intended to interact, shamans interact with natural sources of power. A Spirit is a sentient being who holds power over one of the many elements and an Ancestor is simply a soul that has passed on from our world. That makes both of them natural power sources from which a Shaman may request assistance or guidance, rather than an Arcane mage who forces power from the Void or a Cleric/Necromancer who essentially signs away their life to higher forces.

Mind you, this isn't official. It's just how I've managed to put it all together in my head.

:hmm:

Now, hold on a moment. If we're talking "natural and pure forms of power" why does druidic magic, literally the most natural magic possible, also cause a weakening effect on the user?

Druidic magic comes from the Aspects, and from everything I've heard they are simply Aenguldaemons. That makes the source of Druidic magic essentially the same as the Undead or Ascended. No? I left  the Druids, Ascended and Undead out of my above post because I'm not entirely sure how their whole thing works.

All magic is natural. Why? The entire world is made from magic, every little thing. There is no such thing as "un-natural magic", at least not by what is comprehend by many mortals of LOTC. True un-natural magic would be something outside of the realms of even the creator's creations, which we have never come across as of yet.

By "unnatural" I am not referring to whether or not the origins of the Void are natural, merely that it was not intended by nature for people to be able to tap into the Void and force it into their desired shape. Therefore, as stated in the original post, those who do tap into the Void and beat it into submission feel the strain of its continued use on their physical form. The Spirits and Ancestors are forces that are natural for one to interact with as they have a direct connection to the world our characters live in.

The main point of my above posts being, Spirits and Ancestors are not the same (or even similar) sources of power to Aenguldaemons or the Void.

By "unnatural" I am not referring to whether or not the origins of the Void are natural, merely that it was not intended by nature for people to be able to tap into the Void and force it into their desired shape. Therefore, as stated in the original post, those who do tap into the Void and beat it into submission feel the strain of its continued use on their physical form. The Spirits and Ancestors are forces that are natural for one to interact with as they have a direct connection to the world our characters live in.

The main point of my above posts being, Spirits and Ancestors are not the same (or even similar) sources of power to Aenguldaemons or the Void.

Then again, *cough* since Nature itself is apparently an Aenguldaemon, natualistic arguments are a little null and void.

IMO, I don't see why channeling a spirit has to be any different than channeling the power of a patron. Shamans are just less choosy about who they cater to.

I might also think within druidism in some cases the person learning druidism could go insane?. Such as the constant thread of the aspects blessing with also the connection to /all/ nature around you, feeling it's every pulse, ect. Would be something as another weakness? Although I would not think that a druid could get physically weak over this~, Perhaps something else upon druids needs to be re-written as they do provide weaknesses or plus's different to holy magic.

It's actually happened more than once- Arik and Saviticus are good cases, Savvy started speaking exclusively in the third person awhile back, and Arik sort of goes in and out of rhyming everything he says- most recent examples I can think of.

But either way the aspects are Aenguldaemons, no? Would it make sense to have a double standard with Aenguldaemons?

I think that the fact that the Aspects patron nature, it might make sense to evaluate them on a slightly different plane than say Aeriel. Since the Druids and the Aspects are all about nature and achieving a perfect state with it, it might not really make sense for a Druid to shrivel up into a weak little husk. I've roleplayed Ouity for awhile now as a pretty well built Northerner, and I haven't encountered any issues or negative feedback for it. In my mind, since that's how he was born, and was pre-Druidism, that's how he'd stay. To summarize, if a Druid can use the Aspects' power to make things around them lush and full of life through the power of the, what's to stop them from receiving the same gift? 

Of course, as I said before, Druidism (again, how I've been roleplaying it since I started, feel free to shoot me down) feels to me like more of a mentally taxing branch of magic. During situations of high stress or combat, a Druid must be aware of his goal (healing/defeating another player) while focused on himself, his actions, his conflict (a swing of the ax, internal bleeding) and every last living thing that happens to be nearby. A Druid is at the center of their power in a forest like Malinor, but being exposed to so much raw life can leave an unprepared mind caught completely unawares. A Druid might simply stop in the middle of combat, overwhelmed by the sensation of connection; or at the very least fumble in some way. It creates a more interesting depth to magical weakness, and also offers interesting long term roleplay opportunities (IE insanity, lapses of focus, judgement, occasional misplacement of identity etc etc.) 

Sorry for any silly errors or rambling. It's late, but I had to jot something down before I crashed.

EDIT:[12:20:26 AM] George (Ouity): One of the examples I used earlier was loosing sense of what's going on with the actual Druid, who might be overwhealmed by the nature he's communing with essentially it leaves the same openings being weak would in a more interesting and dynamic way

Great idea! Hopefully now we will see a lot less OP magic users. :)