Re-Locking All Magic

Hydra

Re-locking magic  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should magic be re-locked

• Yes and explain why in a comment
    • No and explain why in a comment

No that wouldn't work at all, lower tier magic is the stepping stone to higher tier if anything it would work in the reverse. You would need a teacher to teach you basic magic then after that once your t2 to T3 you won't need a mentor anymore

Also domestic magic is the best for doing Parker tricks

the most difficult part of void magic is learning to focus and connect to thr void in the first place. After that, its like the alphabet. Once you learn to read, its pretty simple to teach yourself how the alphabet sounds and how each letter is wrote. Maybe you can even make simple words. But if you don't have any help or any other source of knowledge, with no knowledge if sentence structure or the complex rules governing grammar, you won't be able to move on from letters to real words, to sentences, to paragraphs, to weaving together entire books.

That's my metaphor for how I see it working, anyways. Forgive any lack of replies, short replies or typos pls, on my phone at work.

This produces a setup where teachers get bombarded with so many teaching requests they burn out and publically group mock new players asking about magic on threads, where people who geniunely want to play mages can't whereas Gronkk is a T4 Water Mage. Yes, we have a lot of mages, but it's the far lesser evil than a locking system that doesn't work outside of specific and small cases. It does not work as a universal system.

I'll also throw this out there: if we relock magic we will wipe everyone. You people proposing we relock will have to go through the system yourselves. Still want to do it?

This produces a setup where teachers get bombarded with so many teaching requests they burn out and publically group mock new players asking about magic on threads, where people who geniunely want to play mages can't whereas Gronkk is a T4 Water Mage. Yes, we have a lot of mages, but it's the far lesser evil than a locking system that doesn't work.

I'll also throw this out there: if we relock magic we will wipe everyone. You people proposing we relock will have to go through the system yourselves.

I'd be fine with that. I'd take a fresh start over what we have now any day.

Explain to me. How would a faction be able to 'hoard power' if you yourself say magic has no power? Even if it did have power, how would a faction be able to hoard it all when (as I've stated repeatedly) none of the magics that would be locked are in any form a clique? The work that would be needed to turn evocation into something guild-based would be astounding, and somebody who actually managed it would certainly deserve what limited perks came with it.

Simple. They go and recruit the teachers, or the teachers go and form a guild. Then they can force people to join their faction if they want to learn any magic whatsoever.

I'm not particularly talking about completely hoarding a specific subtype. I'm simply saying that being a magic teacher would become such an absurdly powerful and high-demand role that possessing one for a guild would allow that guild to obtain power that doesn't make sense currently.

I really don't get how you are going to restrict it when nexus comes out? So why make a thread because it isn't happening.

I'd be fine with that. I'd take a fresh start over what we have now any day.

I'd be geniunely surprised if that sentiment is shared by the majority of proponents.

A far better solution in my opinion is to use the magic plugin to regulate magic. There's no teacher cliques but magic is made rarer simply by the need to learn the spells. Tel's magic-learning system could be our ace card to fix this particular problem.

Simple. They go and recruit the teachers, or the teachers go and form a guild. Then they can force people to join their faction if they want to learn any magic whatsoever.

I'm not particularly talking about completely hoarding a specific subtype. I'm simply saying that being a magic teacher would become such an absurdly powerful and high-demand role that possessing one for a guild would allow that guild to obtain power that doesn't make sense currently.

You say that as if 'recruiting all the teachers' is something than can just be easily done. Look at evocation, one of the biggest magic types. Fully locking that down to a clique would require every single teacher (Of which there are many) to join it. Just one single teacher refusing would weaken that clique, and every student of that teacher would weaken it. He teaches one, then they both teach one each. After a while, you end up with just as many teachers outside it as inside.

And if it does, in fact, get cliqued? The Magic Team could easily fix that by working with the ET to have a tome hidden somewhere (They did this with earth evo in Anthos).

Even looking at the subtypes locked for non-rp reasons (Like enchanting), even the original list of users had members not part of the Mage's guild. The only magics that are fully group-held are the ones that make sense to be, like the Shades or Necromancers.

This produces a setup where teachers get bombarded with so many teaching requests they burn out and publically group mock new players asking about magic on threads, where people who geniunely want to play mages can't whereas Gronkk is a T4 Water Mage. Yes, we have a lot of mages, but it's the far lesser evil than a locking system that doesn't work outside of specific and small cases. It does not work as a universal system.

I'll also throw this out there: if we relock magic we will wipe everyone. You people proposing we relock will have to go through the system yourselves. Still want to do it?

Yep take my magic away

You want a good example? The arcane delvers/ mages guild had their hands on certain types of magic for awhile. It was insanely difficult to learn certain magic from anyone besides them. Like Charoodler said they had an insane amount of power and influence over magic because of this. locking all magic an making everyone relearn to obtain it would be a very poor move at this point in time, so I agree with lago keep it unlocked as a large portion of the magic community would definitely have some pretty hardcore rustled jimmies.

Even though I don't particularly play a mage, I think I should have some say in this as I used to (sorta). When I first started out, magic RP was pretty difficult, considering I was new to RP. I gradually got better, however and decided 'Oh hey, might as well just go ahead and try teaching myself Earth evo with a tome' so I went at it. At first it was pretty exciting, but y'know what? I realized it's pretty ridiculous  to roleplay for multiple IRL months just to have my character be able to fling rocks at other people; A character that could be PK'ed at any time, and once that happens everything I've worked for would be gone. Sure, I think it should be a tiny bit more exclusive, but it shouldn't get to the point where if someone wants to RP a mage, they can't. If that was the case, they would just leave the server because who likes being told how they can or can't roleplay? I believe that's one of the reasons why VA's were removed.

So no. Don't re-lock it, just because some bad new mages make the whole mage group look bad. Instead of saying '0mG!11!! Ur a bad maGe!!1!', you should try and help them roleplay correctly. It would be a win-win situation.

Though, what are the chances of the LotC community doing such a thing?

I'd be geniunely surprised if that sentiment is shared by the majority of proponents.

A far better solution in my opinion is to use the magic plugin to regulate magic. There's no teacher cliques but magic is made rarer simply by the need to learn the spells. Tel's magic-learning system could be our ace card to fix this particular problem.

I'm a bit wary of the plugin, but if it's done right, it certainly could. I just hope it doesn't stomp all over the server's lore, and we end up in a situation where some random orenian soldier finds a shade spell, but the actual shades don't, and what not.

If the magic plugin stays based around the current system, I'd want existing mages to be given spells when we first arrive, and some form of restriction kept in place. Otherwise, every soldier will have a cleric healing spell, a druid web spell, and some magic missile. I'd rather the magic plugin be a way to express magical power, rather than another version of the gold staves we had.

You want a good example? The arcane delvers/ mages guild had their hands on certain types of magic for awhile. It was insanely difficult to learn certain magic from anyone besides them. Like Charoodler said they had an insane amount of power and influence over magic because of this. locking all magic an making everyone relearn to obtain it would be a very poor move at this point in time, so I agree with lago keep it unlocked as a large portion of the magic community would definitely have some pretty hardcore rustled jimmies.

It's not hard to join either guild. If you want to learn magic you can walk up to any teacher and ask the worst thing he could do is say no

It's not hard to join either guild. If you want to learn magic you can walk up to any teacher and ask the worst thing he could do is say no

That's the issue. This is something that someone dearly wants for their character, motive aside, and you think that anyone else should just have the ability to say no? Perhaps, but then we take away their right to learn it on their own? The Druids offer Dedicancy to anyone who can prove themselves with a few lines of role-play, and that's why we've been around so long, because we're not elitist jerks who believe our magic should only be confined to the few.

Easier said than done.