[Snow Elf Lore] Iatrocryomancy

Adran

2. You try developing a culture when your people are divided, have almost no official lore, and are universally reviled.

Maybe those things you just listed are signs to let the snow elves die and move on.

I am not going to comment on my feelings towards this lore as I have a rather large bias when it comes to healing magic. Though I would like to note that one with full control of water and ice would be able to do this. If anyone is interested in the science of it I highly recommend looking up Wood Frogs from back in the /real world/. It is possible for an organism to freeze solid and have all of it's organs stop functioning for a set period of time. It is where the water freezes that determines if the organism can return to original function. For the frogs when summer thaw comes the animals organs nearly magically restart. 

Since this is a role play server the nitty gritty doesn't need to be looked into but I dare say this is fully possible in the realm of LOTC. While it can't work from the current water evo. since a realistic process requires the movement of the pre-existing liquid within the body to be manipulated... but still cryogenics are fully possible in a living organism if the right requirements are met. 

I am not going to comment on my feelings towards this lore as I have a rather large bias when it comes to healing magic. Though I would like to note that one with full control of water and ice would be able to do this. If anyone is interested in the science of it I highly recommend looking up Wood Frogs from back in the /real world/. It is possible for an organism to freeze solid and have all of it's organs stop functioning for a set period of time. It is where the water freezes that determines if the organism can return to original function. For the frogs when summer thaw comes the animals organs nearly magically restart. 

Since this is a role play server the nitty gritty doesn't need to be looked into but I dare say this is fully possible in the realm of LOTC. While it can't work from the current water evo. since a realistic process requires the movement of the pre-existing liquid within the body to be manipulated... but still cryogenics are fully possible in a living organism if the right requirements are met. 

One of the requirements is the specific evolution that is shared with those frogs. Humans can't be frozen solid because our organs don't function like that of the wood frog.

I don't see a huge problem with the lore besides the name (it shares a couple syllables with my character's name "Iatrilemar" lol) but aside from that I have already participated in RP similar to this.

Maybe those things you just listed are signs to let the snow elves die and move on.

Possibly. But I'm going to give a try before I do that.

One of the requirements is the specific evolution that is shared with those frogs. Humans can't be frozen solid because our organs don't function like that of the wood frog.

I don't see a huge problem with the lore besides the name (it shares a couple syllables with my character's name "Iatrilemar" lol) but aside from that I have already participated in RP similar to this.

BrandNewKitten is right here. In real life, humans cannot freeze and unfreeze the same way frogs can. However, Hosper's example shows the theory that cells can be frozen and unfrozen and still survive. The larger-picture organ stuff is where the clerics need to help a little with revival.

Thank you again to everyone who has submitted input about this idea. I've taken everything that has been said so far into serious consideration, and here is my conclusion: This idea is acceptable in terms of adhering to the guidelines of lore (in my opinion). Moreover, it doesn't harm roleplay in any serious way. However, it seems to be rather unpopular. This is understandable, as it is by no means a necessary addition to LotC. Moreover, I see increasingly that snow elves and absolutely anything associated with them is not held in high regard. Thus, I'm beginning to doubt that, even if it is accepted, it's all worth it. You have brought up some important criticisms. So, I think that it's time to wrap this up. I'd like to sum up here the arguments for and against this idea.

For:

1. Provides a new way to practice medicine, giving a doctor an additional tool or a mage a secondary skill.

2. Gives unique roleplay to anyone involved.

3. Gives the snow elves a little boost with lore and cultural flavor. (The implications here are more important than the statements. For example, the fact that they came up with it through trial and error but also science demonstrates the value they assign to intellect and science, even if it's not clear at first what the practical applications are. The fact that nobody else has yet found out about it shows how isolated they can be. Etc. It's open to interpretation, of course. Moreover, if this is accepted, I can definitely expand the lore to at least give it some detail, which the snow elves sorely lack.)

4. Come on. You know the name sounds cool.

5. Up to a certain point, it is realistic.

6. It's interesting (at least, I think it is).

Against:

1. Provides a new way to practice medicine, which is annoying to clerics.

2. Gives unique roleplay to everyone involved, which can be interpreted as too "special snowflake." (Just curious, but does the origin of that phrase have anything to do with snow elves?)

3. Gives the snow elves a little boost with lore and cultural flavor, which is bad because everyone hates snelves.

4. God, what a stupid name (sorry BrandNewKitten).

5. There are points where the bounds of realistic science are stretched.

6. It's not necessary, it's boring, and it's stupid.

I am also going to post that summary on the main post. Tell me if there's anything I neglected to mention there. I appreciate everything said so far; the support has encouraged me to keep working; the criticisms to keep working and tinkering with the idea even after I thought I was done. I think that, unless there is anything else that needs to be said, this is ready for the Lore Team to review.

I get that you despise the Snow Elves for whatever reason, and I myself am not a fan of this lore either. It's unnecessary for the culture. That aside, you're being incredibly toxic to another member of the community. Your arguments are lackluster and pointed just to shame him into dropping his character, so I would ask that you kindly stop harassing him. We're all people here, so why is it that you have to bash so hard on him for throwing out an idea that he thought might be cool? It doesn't matter that this never had a good, or even moderate chance of acceptance.

This isn't backseat moderating this is me defending a friend from toxicity.

No special snowflake magic is needed for the snow elves, nations don't get magic if they want it and the snow elves can't even call themselves a nation, nor a race.

What about Runesmithing and Golemancy? Thats kinda special and it could be considered a nation magic because so few dwarves know it/teach it

What about Runesmithing and Golemancy? Thats kinda special and it could be considered a nation magic because so few dwarves know it/teach it

Please ignore my kings comment on that, I left some crayons on the counter earlier and he got to them. Cultures and races should have specific magics regarding themselves because it gives a flair of the chess board analogy I like to give for LOTC.

My only criticism as it stands is not on the magic, but that objectively creeper you need to work on snow elven culture and not just develop magics to make yourselves different. As it stands I know that in snow elven culture there is no difference between it and a human culture but using the elven language.

You also had ww2buff99 playing multiple of his own children at once so he did not lose the throne and could hold on permanently to his own heir. You may want to change your government style to reflect the cultural changes you make. 

All around though, +1, this magic can't hurt.

Well thought out Lore, and a nice route for some mages to proceed down. However, it has no appeal to me as a player. Not that others may ignore it but it could use some universal appeal it seems. You didn't try to pass this as lore simply for your character, did you?

Healing by way of evocation is possible anyway. It is a process and not a type of magic. -1 Already exists.

I sorry to say that this lore has been Denied.

On the most serious of the reasons for denial is that Evocation can only create the natural, the things that can be studied. As such, one that knows Ice Evocation can only evoke ice and cold, and not the other things that would allow someone to be frozen that way. They would freeze like being in contact with snow or ice, and die the same way.