Dude, Science

EmbryoGod

Magic can be regulated because it requires a teacher to learn. Anyone can claim to be an inventor and just reinvent something.

Assuming people actually follow the fact that it requires a teacher to learn. Also you can put in your character's background that there was a teacher that taught them a specific magic, or have a source of magical knowledge in their background. Same with technology

Well no, because with locked magics you need to actually be taught, otherwise you'd get reported for meta gaming or power gaming. Magic can be regulated so because it is a discreet process; Magic subtypes are unique, and there's no in-betweens. Technology is not so, because a single type of technology can have multiple approaches and methods. I.E. someone could avoid having to be taught to build a steam engine by making their own slightly different steam engine, perhaps using other sources of fuel or different materials to make it. A single piece of technology can vary depending on the creator, Magic can't in that respect.

Well no, because with locked magics you need to actually be taught, otherwise you'd get reported for meta gaming or power gaming. Magic can be regulated so because it is a discreet process; Magic subtypes are unique, and there's no in-betweens. Technology is not so, because a single type of technology can have multiple approaches and methods. I.E. someone could avoid having to be taught to build a steam engine by making their own slightly different steam engine, perhaps using other sources of fuel or different materials to make it. A single piece of technology can vary depending on the creator, Magic can't in that respect.

While I agree with you that locked magics have to be taught, I disagree with you in thinking that having these multiple different approaches to technology are bad. I feel that that adds a bit of friendly competition, and forces players in the game to learn how to keep their technology a secret, have proper research, and have governments set up patenting systems and the like. I see no way how technology subtracts; it only adds

There's nothing wrong with friendly competition, but people like the Dwarves and High Elves are sure to be unappreciative of people just copying their technology, which is what will undoubtedly happen. People can know something OOCly and so will use that OOC knowledge to invent something in character, which is not good. A legitimate roleplay could literally spend their entire character's lifetime to create the steam engine, and then might want to keep that technology a secret, but as soon as someone hears that LMs are okay with steam engines then steam engines will start popping up left right and centre, just because they heard OOCly that someone else made one.

Ist nicht gut.

It is because of the reason you just stated right there that the LM's and GM's give a specific list of what is and is not possible to do with the technology, so that way people aren't just going on the forums and taking stuff OOCly and applying it in-character. And of course there's going to be copied technology, it happens in the real world all the time. I feel that that would just spur people to be more safe about their technology, and even cause conflicts between other groups of people that they have to resolve in character. And just to repeat, having LM's and the GM's give a detailed list of what is and is not possible could prevent people from having to post on the forums, therefore could help stop some of this MC technological piracy.

Also, your example was a poor one. Of course when a great technological advancement occurs it will become more and more utilized by the general public in LotC. The same thing happened with magic

I, for one, really like this idea. Science and scientific advancement has always been an important part of society. Therefore, it has by definition RP potential...if used correctly. But I would like to hear more about the specifics. Can you compile a short list of specific technologies you think it would be reasonable for characters to invent, with explanations for each one? That way, the Lore Team (and the rest of us) can understand better what would be the results of implementing this idea).

For example (I'm not saying that this specific idea is a good one; it's just a format that you could use to explain specific ideas):

The sextant: The sextant was an instrument used in the Medieval/Renaissance era to measure angles. Using measurements of the altitudes of various stars, explorers could figure out with reasonable precision their latitude.

Uses in-game: This can be used as a way to justify checking your z coordinate in the f3 window, at least at night, when you can see the stars.

Why it's reasonable: This is reasonable because it is firmly grounded in reality and is based upon relatively simple principles of mathematics and geography. It is entirely believable that this could have been invented by characters in the LotC universe.

I'm talking about OOC tech stealing, which will happen. The Aztecs couldn't copy the musket before European contact, but people in LOTC will copy each others technologies without actually having copied it RPly. In Anthos the mere rumour that guns were re-allowed resulted in many suddenly obtaining guns from nowhere in RP.

First off:

SCIENCE!

Now, let us discuss this in a positive light because I am immensely pleased that someone else other than me led the charge of Science. You earned respect from me, be happy. I rarely give it out.

I am completely in agreement with this proposal since the addition of Science to the server has been largely ignored. [As my character is an Astronomer, there's good reason for why Science growing would be a benefit to his growth.] You see each of the Races once upon a time were inherently Scientific when Magic was strictly relegated by the Magic Team. Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Kha, Maori, Dark Elves, etc all dipped their hand into the Science bowl at one point or another. Most if not all advancements were ignored, or laughed at by the administration. I believe that we men and women of Science need to push for recognition into Server Lore. But I agree some guidelines need to be initiated. For Example:

-The Scientific Method

-Elementary Physics

-Astronomic Data

-Prime Numbers

-The Scientific Language.

Furthermore, I believe that it would be beneficial to create an institution in which Peer Review of new Theories can occur. Otherwise known as, a Forum. 

If Science can't be relegated, perhaps you could tell me a few things without google-searching?

The Square Root of a Hypotenuse.

Pie to the hundreth power.

The Inner Planets

The Outer Planets

Objects deemed to be a part of the Oort Cloud. 

If Science can't be relegated, perhaps you could tell me a few things without google-searching?

The Square Root of a Hypotenuse.

Pie to the hundreth power.

The Inner Planets

The Outer Planets

Objects deemed to be a part of the Ort Cloud. 

*Oort Cloud

I, for one, really like this idea. Science and scientific advancement has always been an important part of society. Therefore, it has by definition RP potential...if used correctly. But I would like to hear more about the specifics. Can you compile a short list of specific technologies you think it would be reasonable for characters to invent, with explanations for each one? That way, the Lore Team (and the rest of us) can understand better what would be the results of implementing this idea).

For example (I'm not saying that this specific idea is a good one; it's just a format that you could use to explain specific ideas):

The sextant: The sextant was an instrument used in the Medieval/Renaissance era to measure angles. Using measurements of the altitudes of various stars, explorers could figure out with reasonable precision their latitude.

Uses in-game: This can be used as a way to justify checking your z coordinate in the f3 window, at least at night, when you can see the stars.

Why it's reasonable: This is reasonable because it is firmly grounded in reality and is based upon relatively simple principles of mathematics and geography. It is entirely believable that this could have been invented by characters in the LotC universe.

First off:

SCIENCE!

Now, let us discuss this in a positive light because I am immensely pleased that someone else other than me led the charge of Science. You earned respect from me, be happy. I rarely give it out.

I am completely in agreement with this proposal since the addition of Science to the server has been largely ignored. [As my character is an Astronomer, there's good reason for why Science growing would be a benefit to his growth.] You see each of the Races once upon a time were inherently Scientific when Magic was strictly relegated by the Magic Team. Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Kha, Maori, Dark Elves, etc all dipped their hand into the Science bowl at one point or another. Most if not all advancements were ignored, or laughed at by the administration. I believe that we men and women of Science need to push for recognition into Server Lore. But I agree some guidelines need to be initiated. For Example:

-The Scientific Method

-Elementary Physics

-Astronomic Data

-Prime Numbers

-The Scientific Language.

Furthermore, I believe that it would be beneficial to create an institution in which Peer Review of new Theories can occur. Otherwise known as, a Forum. 

To answer the first thing I quoted: Advancements in weapons such as crossbows to a certain degree (maintaining a majority of the original structure: i.e making the body of it longer or the cord of a different type to require more force to be acted upon which in turn makes the weapon more powerful), the sextant would be an awesome idea, and in fact any other sort of medieval instrument designed for land navigation. Also anything revolving around some of the most basic principles of physics and chemistry (forces acting on each other and their calculations etc. etc.) as well as the creation of new formulas (I feel that we should start off from the basics: not even knowing the acceleration of gravity acting upon everyone)

And as to the second one: I agree whole-heartedly, except for one thing (which I do both agree and disagree to). I feel that scientific research on the server should be spread in character through the use of books and papers and such, however on second thought and realizing that not many people could be arsed to do that, I agree with the idea of a peer-review roleplay part of the forum

I wish for everyone to realize that their help and contribution to making this a thing (i.e deciding upon what technologies should and should not be accepted on the server) would be most appreciated. As all of science was not done at a single time by a single person, neither can it be on this server

Edit: Also I really appreciate all the people that think this would be a good idea, I hope that together we can help include science and scientific discovery into LotC

Wait, I am confused. Are you two offering to help lads with the Science homework via roleplay in LotC?

Wait, I am confused. Are you two offering to help lads with the Science homework via roleplay in LotC?

Is this sarcasm or a serious question?