Dude, Science

EmbryoGod

Hello LotC, now before you look at the title and tags and go "ASDFJKL; TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT IN LOTC? PREPOSTEROUS!", this post isn't to say that there should be vast technological advancement that turns this server into something more modernized, please read all of the text before jumping to a conclusion or asking a question, as the likelihood is that the question will be answered further on in the text, thank you. Also if something new regarding this topic has happened on the server (I haven't been on in awhile), please inform me so I can get this post deleted, thanks.

Science in LotC, good or bad?

Mose people would probably say "bad" as the term science on the server is used almost synonymously with "technological advancement". I honestly feel that the addition of sciences (i.e physics, biology, etc. etc.) would drive a new branch of RP; one of which that doesn't revolve around uprisings, magic, or anything generally viewed as fun (sarcasm). Now let's get onto what things could happen with Science.

New technology

Oh boy, this one again, technology. I honestly feel that adding advancing technology in LotC wouldn't be a bad thing, AS LONG AS THERE'S  A LIMIT to what can be done. For instance: "Hey, check out this new bridge I can build now thanks to the addition of physics on the server!" and things of the like. Science has been a major facet in a majority of the things (especially weapons) that go into Lord of the Craft. For instance: crossbows and bridges. Someone couldn't possibly just go "hey, I'm gonna like take the design of the bow and just invert it and put it on a wood block" and actually make an effective weapon out of such a wanton desicion. Math and science would've had to go into the mechanics of the way a projectile is shot, the velocity behind the projectile, and even the projectile itself. With the addition of sciences and technological advancements, things like that could happen, where new crossbows are invented, stronger seige weapons (since those are usually only for war rp purposes with a GM present, making advancements on those would only affect the war side of RP), newer medicines, and the sort. But everthing in moderation.

Is there a solution?

Short answer: yes. Long answer: most definitely. I feel that if we were to be more in-depth with what players are and are not allowed to technologically innovate (for example, no firearms), we could add a whole new side to rp. And for those asking "well why couldn't we innovate new ways of power and how to use it? people could just be making giant metal robots that run on vegetable oil", well it's simple. As of what is currently possible with Steam power (ask an LM for more details about that) is all that is possible with steam power, we cannot make it any more efficient than it already is, same with any other form of power on the server. Also, I would reccommend that in order to make roleplay even more fair, we take out a majority of the things commonly known in the scientific world today (for example, the knowledge of gravity and forces, [newton's laws] etc. etc.) and make the new batch of RP'ers for science figure all that stuff out in-character. Also, the LM's could team up with the GM's to make specific guidelines for as to what can and cannot be advanced technologically (yes, that means no laser swords or giant mechanical walking war machines that fire out kittens). 

And that's my spiel. Please post your opinion of the matter, and if you think I'm completely wrong and totally stupid for posting this, please post on here about that as well. Thanks for your time LotC, stay cool.

High elves are the most scientific group on LotC.

Huh, that's strange. When I think of like science and technology I always think of the dwarves, that's really a difference of opinion I suppose *shrug*

I got lore approved on a telescope in Asulon, but the dirty elves 'Had one apparently' or some other excuse. Science RP is fun, do it. Especially when like, you have to interact with other characters to progress.

I got lore approved on a telescope in Asulon, but the dirty elves 'Had one apparently' or some other excuse. Science RP is fun, do it. Especially when like, you have to interact with other characters to progress.

I would love to but the only problem is I have no way of knowing what I'm allowed to and not to do, I have no idea what I am able to advance and not able to advance

I've made Lore using science, I tried my best to go with LOTCs lore and standards to make my invention. Elastic aka Rubber and latex. But in RP only my character and his daughter knows about the invention because he wanted to keep it a secret so it would not get out of hand. 

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/107781-lore-invention-of-elastic/ 

But I do love this idea. I tend to use science on the server and Alchemy is kinda a form of science yes? :) 

10432045_1495623453984139_410662926_a.jp

I would love to but the only problem is I have no way of knowing what I'm allowed to and not to do, I have no idea what I am able to advance and not able to advance

The only limit is your imagination.

And the shitty rules.

Just going to put my 2 cents into this. I have seen technology of many sorts on the server. I have seen all races top technology and the most advanced race right now.... are the Halflings..... So what I suggest with the advancement of science on the server is take it extremely slowly. People start raging if technology gets too far ahead. Just see how far you can push technology (It wont be far sadly).

Huh, that's strange. When I think of like science and technology I always think of the dwarves, that's really a difference of opinion I suppose *shrug*

As a dwarf, don't ask dwarves to perform feats of science.

Its usually a certain engineer or group of idiots and said engineer screaming industry making a stupid contraption that is inpractile via 0 roleplay because what he believes he can build in MC he can do in RP.

High elves have greater science in that sense. However, I would also raise the point that high elves have with identical designs to (more reasonable) dwarves been allowed to do more for ??? reason.

Regardless, if people take IRL principles and apply them ingame then someone will just use the science excuse to make stupidly advanced things. We should consciously try to be medieval/Renaissance era in tech.  

We have magics, they are easier to moderate. While I do enjoy scientific RP, people make vast assumptions on what is common knowledge in RP in terms of physics and the likes. Indeed, people even mentioning the different gasses by name or being able to say that they identified white phosphorus and the likes is painful when I think of realism in science RP.

Steam power is also considered a dwarven thing, they get real defensive over their exclusivity of the knowledge. This mainly stems from the fact that otherwise everyone says they can use all our engineering on the spot and instantly replicate it because they understand the forces at work.

Truth of the matter is, metagaming makes technology non-viable on the server. Magics can be moderated, and redstone can explain contraptions. 

THIS KRUGSMAS....

COMES A DESTRUCTIVE FORCE THE LIKES OF WHICH HAVE NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE!!!

THROUGH GOBLIN ENGINEERING AND THE SPIRITUAL WISDOM OF SHAMANS, THE ORCS WILL WIELD A WEAPON THAT WILL BRING TOTAL ANNIHILIHATION TO THEIR ENEMIES!!!

PREPARE YOURSELF...FOR KRUGHATTAN!!!

There was even once a guild that was like Aperture Science from portal.

As a dwarf, don't ask dwarves to perform feats of science.

Its usually a certain engineer or group of idiots and said engineer screaming industry making a stupid contraption that is inpractile via 0 roleplay because what he believes he can build in MC he can do in RP.

High elves have greater science in that sense. However, I would also raise the point that high elves have with identical designs to (more reasonable) dwarves been allowed to do more for ??? reason.

Regardless, if people take IRL principles and apply them ingame then someone will just use the science excuse to make stupidly advanced things. We should consciously try to be medieval/Renaissance era in tech.  

We have magics, they are easier to moderate. While I do enjoy scientific RP, people make vast assumptions on what is common knowledge in RP in terms of physics and the likes. Indeed, people even mentioning the different gasses by name or being able to say that they identified white phosphorus and the likes is painful when I think of realism in science RP.

Steam power is also considered a dwarven thing, they get real defensive over their exclusivity of the knowledge. This mainly stems from the fact that otherwise everyone says they can use all our engineering on the spot and instantly replicate it because they understand the forces at work.

Truth of the matter is, metagaming makes technology non-viable on the server. Magics can be moderated, and redstone can explain contraptions. 

First off, Magics also have the potential to be metagamed, and technology can also be moderated alongside magic. The situations you're describing could be completely rid of if the LM's and GM's worked together to make a statement about the current state of affairs with science, i.e this is what we know, and this is what we don't know. I also stated near the end that my suggestion is that we revert scientific knowledge to the point of the renaissance. If the LM's and GM's could make an in-depth list of what is and is not possible to do, technology could be grown into a potentially fun aspect of RP

Human steam power.

I mean wat.

I added steam power as an example of being monitored because with it people could potentially use it to make ridiculous advancements in technology over a short period of time

Magic can be regulated because it requires a teacher to learn. Anyone can claim to be an inventor and just reinvent something.