Aengudaemonica Nemo

Backup Lago

A concept from the world lore overhaul I was working on back when I was an LM. Not actually sure what happened to that. You didnt stop working on it after I stopped being there to push it along, did you guys? D:

The purpose of this one is to allow players to have unofficial "patrons" for their order or cult magics that aren't entirely fictional without having to get an aengudaemon through the lore system. They usually either fail to or they succeed and then the aengudaemon lies unused.

Tahariae. Xan. Aeriel. Yeu Rthulu. Ondnarch. Metzli. Garzadriel. Iblees. These are the names of powerful aengudaemonica that have or had goals in this world and gathered followers to enact their will. It is unknown to mortals if they are more powerful in absolute or if the number and power of their followers is what gives them greater influence over the world than other immortal beings.

The powerful and famed aenguls, daemons and aspects are not the only ones who seek to meddle in our world, however. Many other weaker, minor aenguls and daemons exist. The more prideful appear in visions and dreams to potential followers and offer magical powers in exchange for service and worship. Others care not for reknown and find followers amongst  those who worship gods who do not seem to act in the world such as the Creator or the Brathmordakin. They are the Aengudaemonica Nemo, the Nameless Ones. Aengudaemonica Nemo are weak: their followers do not wield the incredible powers that the Undead, Ascended or Golden Lance wielded.

While an Aengudaemonica Nemo's followers may name it, they refuse to give themselves names of their own. As an Aengudaemonica Nemo's order or cult of followers and worshippers grows, its influence over the world grows also. An Nameless One that gains sufficient following may fully reveal itself and its identity and join the pantheon of known, named aengudaemonica, often adopting the name given to it by its followers.

Aengudaemonica Nemo can grant the equivalent of any non-restricted magic to their followers: they are essentially RPed as an alternate source to the Void. All they officially do is grant powers: any visions a player RPs or names given to it could either be the work of the aengudaemon or hallucinations and dreams on the part of the follower. As such, Aengudaemonica Nemo named by players are not official aengudaemons. They can, however, transition to a full named aengudaemon if they gain sufficient IC reknown that they are known amongst the playerbase, have a significant IC following and are approved by the Lore Team.

FINALLY! THANK YOU LAGO, I LOVE YOU! 

Lago, I am sure I **** on you a lot in the past, but this is beautiful. You're a wondrous figure who deserves the highest of praise.

yes pls 

I feel I am going to sound like the the enemy of the free world when I say this, but I am against.

AD intervention should not happen on a wide scale and everyone attributing their own gods to their powers randomly is going to do nothing but tarnish magic in general. When people can claim that their enchanting or void fire or anything else comes from a un-named diety they will find themselves twisting this system.

Adding chaos to the system shall not assist magical roleplay, it diminishes it. All who hold something unique will find themselves overwhelmed or circumvented because "Mr no name diety who I did name anyways gave me x magic". If I can attribute my enchanting to aenguldaemonic intervention that means I may access aenguldaemonic powers, creation of boons and the likes without lore master permission or anything of the sort.

I oppose freedom of roleplay as a concept allowing /exactly this/, I support access to codified lore. It becomes a method for forcing your RP not lore approved with justification "God X said I could". You must either have your Aengul or Daemon provided, accepted, or not roleplay them.

I quote Kalameet.

Coherency and clarification is what magic needs, if anything. The Void is a fantastic core, it just needs its lore to be more thoroughly flushed out.

I say -1

Adding chaos to the system shall not assist magical roleplay, it diminishes it. All who hold something unique will find themselves overwhelmed or circumvented because "Mr no name diety who I did name anyways gave me x magic". If I can attribute my enchanting to aenguldaemonic intervention that means I may access aenguldaemonic powers, creation of boons and the likes without lore master permission or anything of the sort.

"Aengudaemonica Nemo can grant the equivalent of any non-restricted magic to their followers"

ie: you can't do anything with it you couldn't do anyway.

I somewhat agree with Lima with this, opening up a bunch of no name aenguldaemons is basically just a train wreck waiting to happen. Look at the server Uthrandir where they have server lore attributed to different gods that grant them specific powers, that somewhat work in accordance to their magic plugin. It is a cool concept on paper but just seems sloppy and lazy on the lore making side. Personally though, i'd rather see the change in magic happen perhaps from another source entirely besides using aengudaemons, an idea I put in that my character believes he uses (Which is actually the void) and he had gotten a few of his students to believe is that some mages cast from their souls themselves though it's rather ambiguous so it's not a very good point. I would like some form of events to be put in the explain the changes in game, like perhaps something where all the mages can feel. A shudder in the void, opening a giant hollows, or void node, and playing off of that besides using the aengul fail save.. I doubt you had these intentions in mind though so it's not really a big deal. But I would much rather see more thought into the way magic is being changed it would be more dynamic and frankly more RP for mages and everyone who wants to join in. If that were the case.

I'm slightly confused by this.. Is this lore alone offering people a chance to use other sources of magic, aka: If accepted anyone can use this as their power source for magic.

Or is it more of a building block, putting the idea out there for others to build off?

I'm sorry to say that this lore has been Denied.

I remember the idea Lago, this was made mostly specifically for when Telanir was going to implement a plugin to allow everyone to receive any kind of magic. As well it was created when magic was "free" and anyone could make their own magic (that didn't last long). Right now it doesn't fit. It will bring problems, it will make void magic sometimes be deity magic just because. Specifically the magic has to be exacly the same, it can't even be diferent anymore with this lore, which means it's the exact same. From evocation, Illusion, telekinesis, void translocation, it would be the same but different at the same time. This would as well come into problems with wards and anti-magic, because the characters either have to know how the magic works, or in case of the anti-mages be from deity or void.

It removes the problems of void magic to a mage as well, no longer they would be void mages, but just worshipers and the like. Then, comes the slightly funny problem of things like this being allowed:

"I pray call onto thee Aspects. Give me the powers to electricute this bastard."

Players can say their magic comes from a deity IC, it is allowed, it can be their beliefs, it does cause no problems with anything lore or rp'ly. Going from "My master strikes fire into your body! Burn heretic!" being a belief that his connection to the void is a connection to a deity, to actually being one, IC makes absolutely no diference, yet OOC'ly to the lore of magic complicates it imensely and brings huge loopholes.

The rest, well, if someone does IC worship an aenguldaemon and has a big gathering of others that do as well, and do things because of their beliefs, always have hopes of getting the Aenguldaemon accepted, and if they don't, they still have the roleplay they create.