[Lore] Vallel'avern: The Riftborn

The Media Wizard

NOTE

I have added another benefit to the Riftborn to better stabilize it so the player can grow its skills within the Rift. Check #5 for details.

"No pictures on this lore I don't like it" -TheHuskyPuppy, 2015

But seriously, I thought no more racial lore was to be accepted?

I'd hardly call this a race, it's more of a state of being such as Ascended, Shade, Dread, or Undead. I'm up for it personally. +1

The Riftborn have the ability to change their appearance in the physical world by way of manipulating energy into substance. But, the more detailed they become with their appearance, the more of their original energy will be used. This in turn makes them more weak in the Rift and unable to cast vast amounts of magic without risking being consumed by the Void.

And aye, I changed it. Many thanks! :D

I get that they can change their appearance, but I more meant distinguishing markings or features. 

I get that they can change their appearance, but I more meant distinguishing markings or features. 

Ah! Well... I hadn't honestly thought of that. I suppose if another Void user viewed them, they would notice that their entire forms would be made of aura. Other than that... not really. If a Riftborn wished to seem like a normal person, they'd be more inclined to do so with the forfeit of massive amounts of mana. And since many would not wish to do that, I'd expect most of them to remain undetailed masses or mistakenly forgetting components of their persona.

Is this similar to the Void Wraith that was proposed, a few weeks back?

It is VERY similar, unfortunately. Nearly exact.

I'd hardly call this a race, it's more of a state of being such as Ascended, Shade, Dread, or Undead. I'm up for it personally. +1

Merely the word he'd first used in the title, friend.

I can see people powergaming this PRETTY HARD

Like, let's say, for example:

Two orcs approach you, both are heavily armored, as an goblin would approach from behind and send his knife at the creature's back.

POOF

It's gone bc it escaped to the rift.

-OR-

The orcs managed to capture the Riftborn and are dragging him by the neck. The riftborn is gone bc he can't fell /pain/(suffocation) and he teleported, taking his time to concentrate even if he was being brutally dragged and his body being slammed against the ground multiple times. POOF.

What would be done with people that are doing such a thing?

Btw i like it.

It is VERY similar, unfortunately. Nearly exact.

I could see it, aye. The two do have extremely similar ways of being, except I noticed some key differences that may drastically sway the form of RP that would be demonstrated by both:

1.) Wraiths are emotionless. The Riftborn still retain their past mentality, leaving them to be themselves once again. The only difference is that they are more cautious now, fearing to be consumed by the Void.

2.) Wraiths hail from the Void. The Riftborn live between the Void and physical world in the bridge which allows energy to be transferred freely without risk of disrupting the balance of energies.

3.) Wraiths hold vast amounts of power. The Riftborn are quite powerful in their own respect, but they do not gain their powers from simply being of the plane. They use magic, weapons and anything else that others could use in the physical world, yet they must be extremely more cautious as to not harm themselves.

4.) Wraiths are immortal. The Riftborn have the ability to live forever, but not within the physical realm. They must seclude themselves to the Rift for vast amounts of time to halt their aging. Also, they also lost large amounts of energy when they die, leading them to either forfeit a portion of their energy or strive to gain it back over time, making the character more involved in "achieving" his rebirths.

5.) Finally, Wraiths are unplayable. The Riftborn are a playable and attainable choice to those willing to conscript. This is also one of the reasons that they do not possess many special features like the Wraiths.

I hope the differences listed above could help anyone worried with the similarities. Any more questions, just post on below! :D

I can see people powergaming this PRETTY HARD

Like, let's say, for example:

Two orcs approach you, both are heavily armored, as an goblin would approach from behind and send his knife at the creature's back.

POOF

It's gone bc it escaped to the rift.

-OR-

The orcs managed to capture the Riftborn and are dragging him by the neck. The riftborn is gone bc he can't fell /pain/(suffocation) and he teleported, taking his time to concentrate even if he was being brutally dragged and his body being slammed against the ground multiple times. POOF.

What would be done with people that are doing such a thing?

Btw i like it.

Alright, I'll respond to both separately!

a.) The Riftborn would be stabbed. To enter the Rift would take 2-3 emotes. If the Orcs and Goblin were delayed in their emotes to give the Riftborn enough time to cast, then it would be gone as if it had casted any other form of magic.

b.) Riftborns do feel pain. Surprisingly, Riftborns feel MORE pain than most other creatures since the idea of "feeling" and "pain" is foreign to them. Suffocation would not be a problem, of course, but squeezing their neck tightly would cause too much strain and harm to them for them to cast.

Riftborns cannot teleport. They can enter and leave the Rift, but such a thing still requires them to move their energy from Point A to Point B. Not only this, but the time to do such a feat would be a decent amount of time, as casting two of those so close to each other may raise the risk of them being consumed.

The Riftborn would be harmed by the slamming. They would be in more pain than most, as stated above, and unable to poof from such an instance. They may even begin to bleed energy, which would kill them if not allowed to return to the Rift sooner.

I hope those answered your questions! And on the topic of what would happen to abusers, I would leave that up to the Moderators. :)

I'd think they would need time to relax and cannot preform their feats whilst being bound and in an uncomfortable situation. The pain thing I can see being power gamed , Though like many magics/magical things they can be power gamed. It should be clearly defined though if they wish to enter the rift/void. Though i'd say you should take that out completely being able to faze in and out of the rift place you defined. Since it really doesn't do a whole lot and would diminish some peoples concerns about this being power gamed, that and the pain if we read it correctly should be removed. Besides that I really can't see much of a reason this would be denied besides perhaps LM's believing it too similar to void wraiths. 

-Edit: Also, the addition of the rift. I'd perhaps make it a bit more defined if it is like the metaphysical barrier connecting the physical realm to the void. Since something like that may require a bit more writting and IC studies. Though, that doesn't mean I don't like the idea. I quite like it infact and wouldn't mind seeing you write lore on the rift first then working on other pieces that stem from it afterwards. It would be an interesting new thing for mages to begin studying. 

I'd think they would need time to relax and cannot preform their feats whilst being bound and in an uncomfortable situation. The pain thing I can see being power gamed , Though like many magics/magical things they can be power gamed. It should be clearly defined though if they wish to enter the rift/void. Though i'd say you should take that out completely being able to faze in and out of the rift place you defined. Since it really doesn't do a whole lot and would diminish some peoples concerns about this being power gamed, that and the pain if we read it correctly should be removed. Besides that I really can't see much of a reason this would be denied besides perhaps LM's believing it too similar to void wraiths. 

-Edit: Also, the addition of the rift. I'd perhaps make it a bit more defined if it is like the metaphysical barrier connecting the physical realm to the void. Since something like that may require a bit more writting and IC studies. Though, that doesn't mean I don't like the idea. I quite like it infact and wouldn't mind seeing you write lore on the rift first then working on other pieces that stem from it afterwards. It would be an interesting new thing for mages to begin studying. 

Riftborns, like all magic casters, do need to relax. Their spells do tire them out, but the problem more so lies with their ability to cast and how that may affect their risks in the Rift. Also, for pain, I explained it above. They feel more pain than most and would be even more so unable to cast.

As for the Rift, it is the realm in which most of their being TRULY resides. The mass they manifest within the physical realm is simply a portion of them, anchoring them to the world. When they "enter" the Rift, they are simply pulling back their casted energy. If that energy is cut - like by death - the portion would fade into unusable energy which the Riftborn would need to absorb back from the rift over time.

The Rift is also simply a transport way from the Void to the physical world. Energy lies within to compensate either realm each time mana is drawn from the Void. Studying it would yield a few benefits, I suppose, and me writing a post to detail what it is may help; however, it would most likely not deliver many benefits for those studying it, as it is nothing more than a way to explain the balancing of energies when casting.

Go read what I said in Druid Skype :P

Also, I could see how the ability to change their appearance, even if it involves going back into the Rift, could possibly be abused. Perhaps put a limitation or something to make that a more serious thing, perhaps slight memory loss or inability to choose what you'd look like and make it random? Just a few ideas.

Go read what I said in Druid Skype :P

Also, I could see how the ability to change their appearance, even if it involves going back into the Rift, could possibly be abused. Perhaps put a limitation or something to make that a more serious thing, perhaps slight memory loss or inability to choose what you'd look like and make it random? Just a few ideas.

Well, those are all too generic for me. I feel that the fear of losing magical ability would be enough incentive. Though, another restriction could be the strain of forming a new persona. Perhaps the task would prove too laborious and only able to be performed every so often.

I am just going to say that there was a event line running, and plan revolving around this peice of lore.

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/121156-lore-voidal-manifestation/

Due to the fact that that piece holds more staff implementation support from LM and ET and the likes, while being functionally similar to this one, I support the voidal manifestation lore over this one.

I would also state that there only seems to be perceived benefits with this one, the positives far outweigh the negatives, and the creation of such rift born seems a bit too easy.

I am just going to say that there was a event line running, and plan revolving around this peice of lore.

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/121156-lore-voidal-manifestation/

Due to the fact that that piece holds more staff implementation support from LM and ET and the likes, while being functionally similar to this one, I support the voidal manifestation lore over this one.

I would also state that there only seems to be perceived benefits with this one, the positives far outweigh the negatives, and the creation of such rift born seems a bit too easy.

That is fine, and I completely understand. They are quite similar and there are a few chinks in the armor here and there, but it's always enjoyable to get feedback. If there is anything that you think I could change or morph about this idea to give it more of it's own identity, I'd love to know!

Until then, I'll hopefully discuss with others to grow the idea and set it more apart and different from other ideas. Van'ayla! :D

Unfortunately, this lore has been   [Denied] !

This is due to some of the similarities with the current void.. people written by Moogle/Moot not too long ago. Along with this, the addition of this 'rift' realm is rather complicated and adds new depth to magic we're not wanting.

Thanks anywho!