[Magic] ~ Arcane Shifting ~

BrandNewKitten

Snip

If it is accepted then it usually undergoes an initiation process in which I will likely learn it on my character and submit the scenarios I experience to the MAT or LMs. This is what I did for the other two arcanism subtypes to flesh them out completely. After that it just becomes a matter of getting the knowledge IG. New magics are always a bit slow to pick up IG but eventually they become available.

Who are the teachers for this?

Likely me, if it is accepted and my character goes through learning it.

This is a lot like Gaius' Irfan Magic which was removed by the LT with zero reasoning given to the creator (Gaius) or the practioners (Burkester and I). I'd love to see this, but I think you should add the following red-lines.

- You may not teleport anywhere you cannot see.
- You are unable to teleport instantaneously, you must focus before hand. 

Like most void magicks you need eyes to see where your target of casting is, so you'd need to therefore be able to see the location you're porting to. 

This is a lot like Gaius' Irfan Magic which was removed by the LT with zero reasoning given to the creator (Gaius) or the practioners (Burkester and I). I'd love to see this, but I think you should add the following red-lines.

- You may not teleport anywhere you cannot see.

- You are unable to teleport instantaneously, you must focus before hand. 

Like most void magicks you need eyes to see where your target of casting is, so you'd need to therefore be able to see the location you're porting to. 

No offense but I think I have clearly stated those two things already! Thank you for your feedback though. I appreciate it.

EDIT: I added a paragraph on it just in case! 

I think in its current iteration, this is fine. However, the potential for people doing dumb things with this is there, and I know personally (I'm not speaking for the team here) I would not be lenient with the abuse of this magic.  I would like to see a bit of elaboration of the negative effects, such as, what if someone throws an axe or weapon/object in the path of your shift? What if someone moves into the path of your shift?

-EDIT- I also don't want to see this used to re position oneself in combat behind a person. So if you're looking straight at a person, you shouldn't be able to shift forward to where you are behind them. You're not a ninja.

I would also like this to be given out to a larger group, seeing as many people have interest in this. Possibly hide tomes about this in ruins where you contact a gm to give you one if you find a sign saying it?

I think in its current iteration, this is fine. However, the potential for people doing dumb things with this is there, and I know personally (I'm not speaking for the team here) I would not be lenient with the abuse of this magic.  I would like to see a bit of elaboration of the negative effects, such as, what if someone throws an axe or weapon/object in the path of your shift? What if someone moves into the path of your shift?

-EDIT- I also don't want to see this used to re position oneself in combat behind a person. So if you're looking straight at a person, you shouldn't be able to shift forward to where you are behind them. You're not a ninja.

Updated;

To clarify you need line of sight.

In EX2 I showcased the shifter teleporting behind the dwarf but that is only possible due to the caster jumping, and the dwarf being short. The reprecussions of this are the elf staggering out of the shift in a dazed state.

EDIT: You also have to realize that the magic sets out to do one thing and so it is going to do that thing quite well. Evading is the purpose of the magic and so its going to be able to do it appropriately. 

No tomes in ruins. That brings up so many unnecessary questions.

How would the size/shape of a person affect their ability to shift? What if they're carrying a bag? If they have some sort of armor on? Can they hold their sword out and shift past a person, grazing them?

No tomes in ruins. That brings up so many unnecessary questions.

How would the size/shape of a person affect their ability to shift? What if they're carrying a bag? If they have some sort of armor on? Can they hold their sword out and shift past a person, grazing them?

Updated;

The more weight a user has the more mana it takes to shift. Likewise if a person is wearing armor or just larger in general their failed casts of shifting are more likely to lead to a painful recoil. Imagine wearing armor and flying out of a failed shift, you would be battered quite severely. This also applies to weaponry. The shift is instantaneous and although I refer to time slowing down the shifter is not keen enough to be able to swing a sword while shifting. When shifting you are putting a massive amount of momentum behind yourself. So you could not justify an attack mid-shift. 

Is the aura able to be split up whilst in the air or must it stay in one large clump? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCJe7ilCyXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaFlZ5YZhbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzvGCgwQoOA

Relevant for visualization perhaps?

Also, voidal translocation as a path of Arcana, used for short range transportation on living beings (only yourself of course), yes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCJe7ilCyXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaFlZ5YZhbw

Relevant for visualization perhaps?

Also, voidal translocation as a path of Arcana, used for short range transportation on living beings (only yourself of course), yes?

Ooo Thanks for the videos.

And no it has nothing to do with transporting through the void.I wanted to avoid any semblance of that.

Is the aura able to be split up whilst in the air or must it stay in one large clump? 

Your aura is your aura. It cannot be detached from you. It's a vital part of your existence.

On the topic of "aura splitting," perhaps add a thing about the fact that you must stay in your general shape while shifting?

Now that I'm home I know what to post.

101379-Jim-Carrey-I-like-it-alot-gif-Gfl

On the topic of "aura splitting," perhaps add a thing about the fact that you must stay in your general shape while shifting?

I believe that is taken care of! :) I have stated that if the caster's body couldn't go through it then it's not possibly. Likewise the caster must take into account their whole body.