[Magic] ~ Arcane Shifting ~

BrandNewKitten

I believe that is taken care of! :) I have stated that if the caster's body couldn't go through it then it's not possibly. Likewise the caster must take into account their whole body.

Although this is not nessecary, what is the RP reasoning behind that? As that is more so an OOC boundary. I personally would like to know that and what would happen if you hit a wall or something?

EDIT: So the way of going up, would that simply be like a fence (1.5 blocks) or how many blocks up?

Although this is not nessecary, what is the RP reasoning behind that? As that is more so an OOC boundary. I personally would like to know that and what would happen if you hit a wall or something?

EDIT: So the way of going up, would that simply be like a fence (1.5 blocks) or how many blocks up?

Being able to evade attacks is already an incredible feat. That is what the magic is about, evasion. Unfortunately it isn't about shrinking yourself and having to account for the whole body helps make sure you aren't OP.

Yes, jumping would be the equivalent of a fence you could say, though in RP one can sometimes hop fences so it depends.

Being able to evade attacks is already an incredible feat. That is what the magic is about, evasion. Unfortunately it isn't about shrinking yourself and having to account for the whole body helps make sure you aren't OP.

Yes, jumping would be the equivalent of a fence you could say, though in RP one can sometimes hop fences so it depends.

Hmm, it is rather hard to figure out the distance upwards seeing as it is all situational, but you really need something concrete. I would personally reccomend 3 blocks/meters.

Man! Updated it quite a bit. A TLDR;

-You cannot shift directly behind someone. You would collide with them instead.

-You always shift in a straight line. (To avoid people shifting and placing themselves right behind a target)

And some other stuff. It looks like a lot to read because it is. It's all pretty important if you want to understand it and I believe it is working to solve all the problems past blinking lore had set up! Keep the feedback rolling in guys!

I really like this, all the magic lore you make makes me want to do it again! Shame I never got a chance to RP my high elf enough to learn the other two forms of arcane magic.

This magic really reminds me of the fade step spell in Dragon age inquisition. Honestly, I quite like this idea and it seems cool, though the thing that might be a bit cooler is perhaps being able to change speed of yourself? So when you start using it from the very beginning you'd only be able to go like 30 mph as your fastest speed able to travel, and then as you get better and better the speed in which you travel could get faster and faster but with more risk of collision and injury, this could also lead to people at like max tier being able to move at speeds like 50 mph but farther than 15 feet and 15 feet only being the distance one can travel by going near instantaneously? If that makes sense.

Another thing that'd be cool is something other holy mages have where if they aren't fully concentrated whilst teleporting it is possible that they can loose an arm. Like for example, if someone were to do a last ditch effort type of teleportation out of a situation or over exert themselves and teleport themselves farther away than they normally can, they can simply not have enough mana or not enough concentration to recreate their arm and have it cut off.

The last thing I have is just a question. What would happen if a person teleporting went through a ward against the magic? Would they simply die instantly? Explode? Turn to confetti? 

Anyways, I quite like your idea, let's see if the lm's are open to it? You have my support BNK nice job.

I really like this, all the magic lore you make makes me want to do it again! Shame I never got a chance to RP my high elf enough to learn the other two forms of arcane magic.

I appreciate you, bro! But to be honest my character ICly is much more willing to teach marked men over high elves. It's all about who proves themselves to be okay peeps, which a lot of helves aren't xD

I forgot how much fun writing lore for the other magics was and this one has not only been the most challenging but will finally complete the trilogy I was working on two years ago! I would be ecstatic if the LMs accepted this.

This magic really reminds me of the fade step spell in Dragon age inquisition. Honestly, I quite like this idea and it seems cool, though the thing that might be a bit cooler is perhaps being able to change speed of yourself? So when you start using it from the very beginning you'd only be able to go like 30 mph as your fastest speed able to travel, and then as you get better and better the speed in which you travel could get faster and faster but with more risk of collision and injury, this could also lead to people at like max tier being able to move at speeds like 50 mph but farther than 15 feet and 15 feet only being the distance one can travel by going near instantaneously? If that makes sense.

Another thing that'd be cool is something other holy mages have where if they aren't fully concentrated whilst teleporting it is possible that they can loose an arm. Like for example, if someone were to do a last ditch effort type of teleportation out of a situation or over exert themselves and teleport themselves farther away than they normally can, they can simply not have enough mana or not enough concentration to recreate their arm and have it cut off.

The last thing I have is just a question. What would happen if a person teleporting went through a ward against the magic? Would they simply die instantly? Explode? Turn to confetti? 

Anyways, I quite like your idea, let's see if the lm's are open to it? You have my support BNK nice job.

Your first paragraph is super interesting though my inspiration for this magic and all my current magic lore is to keep it more fantasy less science-y. HOWEVER with that said you can be rest assured that a dear friend of mine is working on lore that basically encompasses that. The idea is secret but pretty sweet imo.

I actually read a lot about "the cleaving effect" and decided to nerf it for this re-iteration of magic. That is simply because I don't think having a forced dismemberment being a possibility is a very good draw to a magic. It also creates a tiresome scanrio for the RPer. Constantly RPing one arm would be difficult and so instead my rendition of "the cleaving effect" is that the user may be cut, brusied or internally injured by a fail cast but they wouldn't be killed just by failing the spell, since the body would reject the spell before that happened.  You could however backfire into a solid object or sharp object if it was in your way and that could maybe break a bone OR dismember. So it's a possibility under the right circumstances but your body is never at any point in separate parts.

Lastly depending on the ward. If it simply repels shifting then the user backfires back off of it. Thank you though Booklight! I appreciate it!

Maybe thats the case now but I more so mean back then when arcane evocation and shielding was first made a thing. Loved that lore when I read it and love this now.

I am worried about the outcome if a Shade 'shifted'. They'd have burnt through so much mana that they would have a HUGE amount of shadows to work with almost instantaneously, and they have just moved from right in front of me to the other side of the room. Distance enough to not get cut with my pointy stick and still do their tendril thing on me.

I am worried about the outcome if a Shade 'shifted'. They'd have burnt through so much mana that they would have a HUGE amount of shadows to work with almost instantaneously, and they have just moved from right in front of me to the other side of the room. Distance enough to not get cut with my pointy stick and still do their tendril thing on me.

I am not quite aware of how shades function but maybe Kalameet or someone could comment on it. Shifting uses mana just like any other spell though so that is there anyways. 

Shades reach out with their Shadows/Tainted Aura (or whatever silly term floats your boat), and alters aura into more Shadow/Tainted Aura.

It should also be noted, aura is another "state" of mana. The more mana you use, the more aura you exert naturally. A good example to exemplify this is a camp fire; you put more wood on the flames, you get more smoke. The smoke being the aura, the side-effect of mana-usage.

For a list of states:

• Passive Mana: This stuff is in the mana pool. It's used by the mage, and can be used for spells, enchantments and other stuff.
  • Active Mana: When it's "active", it's no longer applicable for spells, or direct usage. This is to prevent mana gems which can fuel a persons own mana pool, like what people thougth mage gold did. It can however be manipulated by a Transfigurationist for the use of mana gems, and enchantment stuff. As long as it doesn't go back into a mana pool/mage.
  • Aura: Like already mentioned, it's the smoke to the flame, the remnant of mana when it's used. Aura is primarily useless, aside from roleplay flavor, and Shades.

So all in all, I don't really see how this magic could realistically work in terms of lore.

Shades reach out with their Shadows/Tainted Aura (or whatever silly term floats your boat), and alters aura into more Shadow/Tainted Aura.

It should also be noted, aura is another "state" of mana. The more mana you use, the more aura you exert naturally. A good example to exemplify this is a camp fire; you put more wood on the flames, you get more smoke. The smoke being the aura, the side-effect of mana-usage.

For a list of states:

• Passive Mana: This stuff is in the mana pool. It's used by the mage, and can be used for spells, enchantments and other stuff.
  • Active Mana: When it's "active", it's no longer applicable for spells, or direct usage. This is to prevent mana gems which can fuel a persons own mana pool, like what people thougth mage gold did. It can however be manipulated by a Transfigurationist for the use of mana gems, and enchantment stuff. As long as it doesn't go back into a mana pool/mage.
  • Aura: Like already mentioned, it's the smoke to the flame, the remnant of mana when it's used. Aura is primarily useless, aside from roleplay flavor, and Shades.

So all in all, I don't really see how this magic could realistically work in terms of lore.

It only doesn't work if it doesn't work tbh. Anything to do with the aura is pretty basic but that shouldn't mean it has to be useless. This magic is essentially unlocking a new way to use one's aura, similar to shade.

Not sure if Moot made it clearer about why I don't have good feelings about a shade doing this. That is: aura is produced by the using up of mana, so if someone is burning through mana really quickly then they are producing an excess of aura. If the Shade does this shift thing themselves then they essentially do this jump and then have a huge amount of aura that turns into shadows that they use to recreate adult anime. Don't give me that look, you know they do.

In many ways any conventional void magic used by a Shade gets a bit OPy because their source of energy isn't mana, its aura. So they can do a high end normal spell and keep fighting. But what this does with your aura seems to have a far larger impact on generating aura than the usual fireball/magic missile.

Personally I'd really like to see VoidiWalking have another go. I thought that that was a really good bit of blinking lore and the only reason it got denied was because blinking was considered OP.