[Magic] ~ Arcane Shifting ~

BrandNewKitten

Not sure if Moot made it clearer about why I don't have good feelings about a shade doing this. That is: aura is produced by the using up of mana, so if someone is burning through mana really quickly then they are producing an excess of aura. If the Shade does this shift thing themselves then they essentially do this jump and then have a huge amount of aura that turns into shadows that they use to recreate adult anime. Don't give me that look, you know they do.

In many ways any conventional void magic used by a Shade gets a bit OPy because their source of energy isn't mana, its aura. So they can do a high end normal spell and keep fighting. But what this does with your aura seems to have a far larger impact on generating aura than the usual fireball/magic missile.

Personally I'd really like to see VoidiWalking have another go. I thought that that was a really good bit of blinking lore and the only reason it got denied was because blinking was considered OP.

I wouldn't say so. I think it is just as easy to say that it would have the same effect as any other spell cast. I mean but that issue seems to exist in shade magic regarding any other magic.

EDIT: I do see the potential problem but I kind of like how it currently is. Though if the LMs find that it poses a serious issue I can tweak how the magic works, no problem. It's less about how it works and more about what it does. But for now shifting is done by manipulating ones aura, reusing it to physically transport the caster.

Plus the lore itself might be infringing on Ascended because they can blink as well.

Hey guys. Updated it and hopefully clarified/fixed the problem? Specifically in the first paragraph in the first two sections. Give it a read and let me know whatcha think.

Essentially the magic introduces a new ability based on the existing concept that mana disperses creating an aura. Shifters learn to manipulate their aura in order to cause a magical reaction, through this process the amount of aura/mana that escapes and that would be usable by shades is no more than any other spell. 

The ascended don't have a monopoly on "blinking."

-edited-

@BNK

One reason I do like this Lore, is that it's not so Voidal based (because as the soul enters the Void, it would logical be resolved into bits of information, to never be reformed), it's mana based. Mana isn't Void based, and is only a fuel which can be utilized to fug with the Void. Although this is Arcane in theory, it's more so an understanding of mana. Technically, mana is soul based, so like this isn't far from being possible in that regard. But it would take some long thought process and lore to make happen.

[under Review]

Feel free to continue submitting feedback in the form of comments or changing the post should you want to, expect an answer within the coming week or just afterward.

LMs, please approach me before a decision is made. Magic lore is delicate and I wanna work it out so everyone is happeh!

OOOHHH, done son!

@BNK

One reason I do like this Lore, is that it's not so Voidal based (because as the soul enters the Void, it would logical be resolved into bits of information, to never be reformed), it's mana based. Mana isn't Void based, and is only a fuel which can be utilized to fug with the Void. Although this is Arcane in theory, it's more so an understanding of mana. Technically, mana is soul based, so like this isn't far from being possible in that regard. But it would take some long thought process and lore to make happen.

My body is willing bud and as you can see by the massive amount of writing I have done I am not afraid to fix things.

I like BNK, can we keep him?

I second this notion. I like the lore, I think it just needs some work. I want it to be used right. Not people teleporting around a fight like some fkin naruto ninjas. 

I third it.

Updated. I explained the process a bit more step by step.

Third paragraph down!

IMPORTANT

I am moving away from the initial concept of using and recycling your aura.

In fact the magic has nothing to do with auras anymore and I hope this appeases the LMs.

Instead to cast the shift you pump your own body full of mana and contain it there. The active mana travels through the veins until the spell is unleashed, sending your body to the targeted location.

Not a big difference but I think it may avoid problems. Instead of trying to make it a recipe/process I am hoping it will be okay just to say "magic"

as I would like to avoid using the void.

I have a few questions. If say you were behind iron bars, perhaps in a cage or prison, would you be able to shift out of that cage if you are looking between the gap in the bars? Reason I ask is because technically that gap, there is nothing in your way and you can clearly see where you are shifting too. Also, what if you are shackled in some way? Are you able to shift out of that binding? Example would be chained to a wall or maybe tied to a tree.

I have a few questions. If say you were behind iron bars, perhaps in a cage or prison, would you be able to shift out of that cage if you are looking between the gap in the bars? Reason I ask is because technically that gap, there is nothing in your way and you can clearly see where you are shifting too. Also, what if you are shackled in some way? Are you able to shift out of that binding? Example would be chained to a wall or maybe tied to a tree.

You couldn't do either. Why? Because when I say "something is in your way" I don't just mean visually. Those bars physically impede where you can go, same with the shackles. If a regular person can't get through them neither can you with this magic.

I am not sure on the LMs stance regarding binding a mage. It used to be that if a mage was bound behind their backs they couldn't cast spells. However I believe that may have been nixed a while back. If so a shifter who is bound but not attached to anything like a wall or tree could shift. However when they come out of the shift they would still be bound.

You couldn't do either. Why? Because when I say "something is in your way" I don't just mean visually. Those bars physically impede where you can go, same with the shackles. If a regular person can't get through them neither can you with this magic.

I am not sure on the LMs stance regarding binding a mage. It used to be that if a mage was bound behind their backs they couldn't cast spells. However I believe that may have been nixed a while back. If so a shifter who is bound but not attached to anything like a wall or tree could shift. However when they come out of the shift they would still be bound.

I know personally that the bound rule is still shaky. It depends on the situation, really, and IMO the proper way to stop a mage from casting magic would be to distract them or dull their senses. Like blindfolding them, loud noises, etc etc. I also agree that you should not be able to shift through a cage or through shackles.