[✗] The Degradation of Aurum

Swgrclan

+1, it's a nice idea and gold weapons were truly an issue for undead players.

I think most people need to understand that dark beings such as wraiths are meant to be powerful. And why would a simple peasant even have a shred of a chance against one? The wraith would win before the fight even started. People need to realize, that sometimes the best way to fight something is not to fight it in the first place. Wraiths are meant to be an imposing menace that in order to be taken down a decently sized group, with help of holy magics preferably, needs to fight it.

Don't whine at this lore for hurting your ego by reducing your chances of winning.

Edited by Whimsycal

I just think even if the fight isn't meant to be won, it should still give you options. The problem with is how magic is for LOTC, to get into the holy order you first have to find said order, have someone like you enough to even invite you into order, get the magic ...maybe....eventually if you're connected, then after a few months of training you finally can fight some dark creatures...with the magic system in LOTC It takes months of RL before you can even reasonable put up a fight in any magic holy magic included. Newer players need a method of combating things if they're forced into the RP, because after your fifth RP death in a situation it just gets dull

I just think even if the fight isn't meant to be won, it should still give you options. The problem with is how magic is for LOTC, to get into the holy order you first have to find said order, have someone like you enough to even invite you into order, get the magic ...maybe....eventually if you're connected, then after a few months of training you finally can fight some dark creatures...with the magic system in LOTC It takes months of RL before you can even reasonable put up a fight in any magic holy magic included. Newer players need a method of combating things if they're forced into the RP, because after your fifth RP death in a situation it just gets dull

MEta lad, you know they can bless and enchant weapons if you ask, da?

There are many options beyond gold. They are simply not pursued. No one said everyone needs to become holy magic folk, it's been said they need to be more included so fighting evil forces without gold can be balanced properly. As for deaths - people just need to flee. When you're bare-assed and up against three Nazgul and their private army of Darkwraith-tier minions, you and your posse needs to hightail it outta there and warn the nearest town of coming doom.

I mean golden weapons puts sprookies in their place, without them it would be a significant advantage for them

Please in the name of all that is balanced, accept this lore. Gold has become way too common on the server, to the point where Wraiths, Liches, and Ghouls are useless. It's a damn shame that they aren't feared as they should be, what with everyone's sudden gold obsession. Make my ghouls feared again.

+1

What'd be the best option in my opinion, is what was stated above in gold basically being iron or steel to undead creatures. Make things like iron weapons be ineffective against them (Including ghouls, and normal undead grunts). Also, maybe make gold spawns much more uncommon to ramp the price and rarity up. I think that'd be a much better compromise than basically making it ineffective completely. Instead make it the 'only' way for a normal person to fight all undead

Another thing that I think could be fun would be adding something witcherish by having alchemists able to make wraith repellent liquids that would be like wraith oil or whatever its' called in the witcher games. That'd be a pretty interesting addition.

I don't find roleplaying with these undead pseudo-antagonists to be at all enjoyable, and I like being at least somewhat equipped to defend myself against their encroachment. Thanks, but no thanks.

Edited by charoodler

I don't find roleplaying with these undead pseudo-antagonists to be at all enjoyable, and I like being at least somewhat equipped to defend myself against their encroachment. Thanks, but no thanks.

You may express your disdain and reasons being elsewhere- specifically in a PM with me, because I like problem solving. Thank you. 

I am terrified of discussions like this because it always looks like someone somewhere is too invested and is willing and able to spout unkind words. That being so, I'd like to contribute a tad but I'm prolly not gonna defend anything because that's not why I'm here. Anyways:

The gold weakness is nice when it started out. There was a scramble for it and even as a Necromancer, Undead, and back to edgy Demon nonsense there was a huge lack of it. I've only seen it used against myself or someone in my little group IG /once/ in the (bit over, I think?) 2 years the stuff existed. That being, I guess I had a lucky streak, but it just never showed up. Swgr argues that it is a common problem for him and he -- unlike the most of those commenting -- actually has a character that is afflicted by this and says it is prevalent. He is right in saying that on a good day the 'forces of evil' don't really band together to try and roll over something, but even when they do or do so in small numbers they are the ones to lose three out of four times. I'd say favor his perspective.

On the other hand, I like the gold weakness. I don't encounter it really, which is really really strange I suppose, but it's nice. If anything it'd be simple to replace this so that the weaponary bane of the undead and phantoms isn't quite so common. And if anything it gives a LOT of incentive for holy orders, shamans, druids, monks, alterationists, Fi' users, and so on to utilize their own shiz to combat the dark. But hey, I don't really have a stance on this. Be polite, I guess? 

*waves hands* ur dickery hath been cured

You may express your disdain and reasons being elsewhere- specifically in a PM with me, because I like problem solving. Thank you. 

This will not address the problem I have put forth. There are other players, obviously, who find wraiths and such beings to be noisome. The gold weakness, in my opinion, makes LoTC a bit fairer for these players.

Edited by charoodler

he -- unlike the most of those commenting -- actually has a character that is afflicted by this and says it is prevalent. He is right in saying that on a good day the 'forces of evil' don't really band together to try and roll over something, but even when they do or do so in small numbers they are the ones to lose three out of four times. I'd say favor his perspective.

I don't feel like it's necessary to be fair to an antagonistic bunch that are already propped up on more lore-friendly advantages. If this a debate about balance or fairness, or what-ever, I only see the proposal as a means to make LoTC less fair to a certain group (that being the majority of non-cleric, non-spook characters)

I've changed my mind and fully support this possible lore alteration.

Edited by Cneyele

After reading the comments Idek what I think. I remember wraiths in New Malinor who would come in groups while also having OP abilities they didn't actually have in lore, (so said the guy who wrote the lore) and no one could kill them except Clerics.  Maybe instead of nerfing gold weapons you just buff all necros? I think that would get what you are wanting more since I believe pretty much any cleric/paladin could wipe the floor with a necro currently.. Anyways, make them sturdier where gold weapons do SOMETHING, but landing a hit with one doesn't end a fight.

I just looked at the wraith lore, and there are other ways to drive wraiths away, like fire, which is, I'm pretty sure, and correct me if I'm wrong, much more prevalent than gold. Magical means would be the only way of killing them, but clerics/Paladins/Ascended/Fi' bros/alterationists can bless/ward weapons to make them effective against unholy folk. So, instead of buying some gold ingots and having a smith make you a golden sword and that's that, you just have to find a holy/antiholy/voidal person to supply you with a weapon of spectre-slaying capabilities. You don't even need to join the holy order! Elsewise, figure out the fire thing IC and drive em away. With ghouls, I am fairly sure cutting off their head would do some damage as well. Yes, removing gold makes slaying wraiths harder, but not anywhere close to impossible. It provides some more RP opportunities for holy+other folk, who are either good for healing only or at best convenient in some combat situations currently.

Again, this wouldn't make things impossible, this would just make dark beings less of a nuisance and more of a legitimate danger... And even so, with a blessed/enchanted tool, quick work can be done with them. You would just need to do the RP to acquire it.