The Mark of Tongues

drfate786

The Black Language and The Mark of Tongues

The Black Language

The black language was first heard by descendant ears during the time of the plague in Asulon in a Kharajyr village known as At’noch. It is unknown where this language came from but it is speculated by the Kha that the language may have been a curse set upon them by the cult of Iblees during their time in Asulon. This strange, eldritch language seems to be spiritual in nature and only those with a “mark” can speak it fluidly.

The Mark of Tongues

This “mark” seems to be of an undead origin since the way the mark is symbolized seems similar to the undead language. It is thought that the mark may have been a curse placed upon the cult of Iblees by Iblees himself however this remains a mystery. Those afflicted by this mark can only speak in the black language.

How The Mark Spreads

The mark spreads through books and parchment, should the afflicted write on any form of parchment or read any book it will become infected with a new mark and the language within will translate itself to the black language. If anyone opens the book and begins to read it the mark will seem to manifest into a physical form and latch unto his or her arm. Afterwards the person will slowly lose his ability to speak. Within a few saints days the person will begin to speak in the black language with no memory of who they were before contracting the mark.

Effects of The Mark

The mark is like a parasite, it will feed on the host’s life force and slowly turn the life force it absorbs into a taint that will spread into the host’s mind. The host will usually mentally weaken within a year under the influence of the mark. The host will begin to feel more and more compelled to kill others at this point and may even lose his or her personality. Should the taint created by the mark spread too far the taint will kill the host and somehow turn them into Gravens or other spectral monstrosities.

Banshees

In certain cases a host may turn into what is known as a banshee. Banshees, unlike all other necrolytes are much different. They can only “speak” the black language by screaming it at the living, they cannot physically manifest or interact with the living world but also cannot retain invisibility, they are always manifested. They are always visible and the screams they can cry out will shatter glass and in some cases Ferrum and Carbarum. The only effective way to kill a banshee is with Aurum or holy magic, should the mark be struck by Aurum or light magic it will leap from the banshee and into the nearest parchment. The parchment may then be destroyed, thus destroying the mark.

Banshees are not that different from any necrolyte, the only difference is the mark. The mark binds the spirit to the physical world while holding the curse it had on it in life, this causes incredible pain. They are not incredibly dangerous, however the sounds they emit may cause a man to go deaf or even cause his eyes and nose to bleed but these effects are only temporary. Furthermore, only females seem to be afflicted by this. Male “banshees” are known as Simulacrums.

Simulacrums

In the event that a male dies from the mark they become a Simulacrum. Simulacrums are weak spirits capable of entering dreams in order to pass the mark unto another person. Once this is done they become normal necrolytes and may simply pass on. Strangely the victim will experience the man’s death in their dreams before the mark gets passed on.

OOC:

The mark and the black language is essentially a curse, it spreads from target to target via parchment and ghosts.

In order to speak it, one simply has to use pyglatin.

Simply reverse the words you speak then remove any A, E O and B’s then add an S or a AK at the end.

The Black Language already exists, also known as Al'tahrn-Durngo, found here: https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/132595-altahrn-durngo/

The written language of Al'tahrn-Durngo is known as Roshak-Durngo, found here: https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/113262-roshak-durngo-dark-language-script/

In other words this adds nothing we've not already seen to roleplay, -1.

54 minutes ago, Chaotikal said:

And Iblees never went to Asulon before the descendants went there.

I never said he went to Asulon before the descendants went there, idk what you are on about.

1 hour ago, Parkins said:

The Black Language already exists, also known as Al'tahrn-Durngo, found here: https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/132595-altahrn-durngo/

The written language of Al'tahrn-Durngo is known as Roshak-Durngo, found here: https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/113262-roshak-durngo-dark-language-script/

If it already exists then the black language itself has already been invented, the mark however is not the black language, its a curse. 

There was no village known as At'Noch, Kharajyr after the descendants arrived were being hunted left and right... Literally decimated by the day, how would a Kha' village form parallel to this Grand Hunt of the Kha' in Asulon? (And if it wasn't during the hunt, then it was before the descendants arrived, which would mean Iblees couldn't of been there.)

56 minutes ago, Chaotikal said:

And Iblees never went to Asulon before the descendants went there.

I never once stated in the lore that he came to Asulon before or after the descendants came, so idk why you would assume this.

1 hour ago, Parkins said:

It's good to hear that it already exists, however the mark is not the language itself. Rather it is a manifestation of it, therefore it is a curse. This would be curse lore. 

I'm talking about your "Cult". Why would they have a cult to something they never could have learnt that existed? I'd just like you to explain more of their origin, it's a little bit too vague and makes little sense.

57 minutes ago, Chaotikal said:

I'm talking about your "Cult". Why would they have a cult to something they never could have learnt that existed? I'd just like you to explain more of their origin, it's a little bit too vague and makes little sense.

Chaotikal, this is the ORIGINAL cult of Iblees from Aegis that followed us to Asulon. Not my failed incarnation of it.

There's no reason to have a curse for a language which is already automatically learned by any dark magic user.

10 hours ago, Parkins said:

I was going to post just that.

drfate, please contact me if you wish to do something with the dark language.

Aside from the points already brought up, I'd like to mention a few things I noticed.

1. I'd suggest steering clear from using Iblees as a power source, even if it's just an origin story that might not have occurred. I find it hard to believe that all the Aenguls and mortals combating the arch-daemon, who is now imprisoned in another realm, would have missed such a curse being created.
  2. I'd also not use the Black Language, as that is already a thing that dark mages learn and has a purpose. Adding a random curse to it doesn't really make sense at this point.
  3. You can not force others to PK their character and turn them into spectral entities. I'm referring to how you say "Should the taint created by the mark spread too far the taint will kill the host and somehow turn them into Gravens or other spectral monstrosities." I suggest thinking of an alternative.
  4. What's the difference between a Banshee and a Graven aside from the shout? Do the Banshees also have a graven's abilities or are they simply an odd version of a graven? Why can women only be banshees and seemingly can't spread the curse in the same way a Simulacrum can?
  5. You need to clarify what you mean by "entering dreams" as that is a rather vague statement. Can they actively manipulate dreams and what occurs in them, or do they only spread the curse? How does spreading the curse via dream make sense? I'm not quite sure I see the reasoning behind it, as most of the people on the server don't RP their character's casually taking a nap. While it is unique, it's not really practical.
  6.  Can you explain what RP you believe this will add to the server if the taint tries to force the host to simply kill people? It's a rather cliche effect for evil things to have and also isn't that enjoyable for the victims. A villain's responsibility is to provide RP for the victim, but a character can not develop from dying. Should read this guide written by Hugo.

Currently being reviewed.

Expect an official response from the LT within a week.