Posted (edited)

MEMOIRS FROM THE HAESENI

SCYFLING INVASION

7th of the Grand Harvest, 1769 | 7th of Gronna and Droba, 322 E.S

443811c5bae96170f2c07c0573f68c06.png

Off the Haeseni Coast

A rendering of Vanir & Barbanov ships ignited in a fiery blaze

Prelude

Since rumor reached the ears of the King of Haense, preparation along the Haeseni coastlines have been constructed and bolstered up to the highest extent, although what was to come still hadn’t reached the shores yet. Upon one day, the large Scyfling fleet sailed stationery outside the seas of Valwyck where they awaited for their first strike. It was from that point that the Haeseni Royal Army organized strategic plans to defend Haeseni soil in the best of fashions. From the peak of Fort Buck, to the forest of Camp Rock, and to the stronghold in Valwyck the Scyflings would invade. 

It is with these memoirs that continue to be recorded by the Haeseni lords and ladies and military folk alike that tell the stories from ranging points of views. From the perspective of the northern lords of Baruch, to the garrisoned Haeseni soldiers at Fort Buck and at Camp Rock; these narratives tell the brute strength of the Haeseni through troubling times like these.

Memoirs recorded by the Haeseni

Year: 1768

Name: Ser Demetrius Ruthern

‘Exiting the fort, Ser Demetrius Ruthern watched as the crowd of soldiers formed into a concise blob. Standing before the remnants of the Wick Wood, he did not know what he was going into. Having been requested to guard his cousin, Queen Viktoria, he stood by her side, preparing to guard her with his life if need be. Placing his helmet upon his head, he joined the army in their march forwards, their path unblocked for a while. However, they were shortly met with a stockade guarded by Scyflings. Dispatching the archers, and proceeding forward whilst avoiding the numerous traps, the group soon reached a peak on the other side of the woods. Upon reaching the peak, however, horns sounded behind them- coming from the Fort. The group had been flanked, and had a decision to make: Continue towards Valwyck and let Fort Buck fall, or split their forces and risk losing both. Reaching an agreement, Ser Demetrius Ruthern led the archers through the woods back towards the fort, reconvening with the cavalry force that had taken the roads. Up ahead, Fort Buck lay smoking, with Scyflings pressing firmly against its walls. Bringing the archers up the ridge, Demetrius watched with a grin as the cavalry smashed into the unprepared barbarians. Drawing his warhammer, the command was given- The Haensemen charged together now, pushing the Scyflings back through mud and gore, until they made it through the gates. However, the enemy had breached the gatehouse, severing the mechanism and  trapping a few of the soldiers inside, while the rest remained behind. Persisting still, Demetrius crushed the nearest Scyfling with a blow from his warhammer, continuing to push through the camp. Approaching the outer walls, he removed his helmet, reveling in the cool breeze, watching as the Scyfling ships burned in the distance as the Fort was swiftly recaptured.’

Credit to @Aidoro for your portrayal of the events

Name: Viktoria Barbanov

‘Queen Viktoria gripped the crossbow in her hands tightly after they left Fort Buck, flanked by Demetrius and Arianne. She’d crouch in her armor behind the bushes before the burnt section of the Wickwald, turning to her two protectors, “I- should probably tell you both before we go into this. I am fine, and I can do this, but I'm uh, pregnant.” Demetrius would look at her shocked, “What?” he’d state, before the call for advance would sound, and Viktoria would turn and leap over the bush, beginning the trio’s advance into the burnt Wickwald. The large force would advance through the ruined forest, before stumbling upon a long line of pikes, guarded by Scyfling archers, the dwarves would be sent ahead to begin dismantling it for further advance, and when the wall fell, the group rushed through. Viktoria watched as Sigismund ran at the front of the line, as shouting erupted from the Scflings “PULL!”. She would watch as the ground began to splay from under the start of the group, and he began to fall. A soldier would tackle the King back, the Queen gasping from further behind, as the soldier fell into the pitfall, and the King would be safe on the edge, or so they thought.

The scyflings would throw javelins towards the King, as Viktoria tried to run forwards, to get to her husband, but she was too far, and she was useless as she watched. Loyal to their King, she would watch as some guards surrounded the grounded liege lord, holding up shields around him, before the group continued their march to slaughter the Scyflings that so hastily went for the life of their King.

Their luck in the battlefield would not be full, however, as the sound of fighting erupted behind the group, back in Fort Buck. The archers, including Queen Viktoria, would split off to retake Fort Buck from the Scyflings, marching backwards from their goal. They would find the Scyflings against their gate, attempting to bring it down, and some trying to get over the walls. The main Haeseni force at the Fort would begin to corner and slaughter the Scyflings on the bridge, while another group, including the Queen, would begin to send crossbow fire towards those climbing the walls, Viktoria would spear some right through the head. All together, the Fort would be retaken by the Haeseni, the Queen victorious and unscathed, and her pride in her people larger than ever before.’

Credit to @Zaerie for your portrayal of the events

e4d56a66082af202d954dde7cba934f7.png

Fort Buck, Haense

Name: Ser Marcus Erhdhart

‘As I and my cavalry knight unit marched behind the infantry, the forest burned a flame. After the King charged the infantry followed and enemy javelins whistled through the air. I commanded our cavalry to flank from the right and to intercept the enemy forces, they were gunned down by crossbow fire from the King's retinue. After a bit of travel a sense of eeriness fell upon us, the enemy was nowhere to be seen and as we got to the halfway point it fell upon us. Where were they? Why would they let us get this far, thoughts such as these, raced through my mind and then it came to us, a revelation. The enemy had flanked us and were at Fort Buck, from there under King's orders my cavalry unit and the Crossbow battalion under Ser Demetrius doubled back to intercept the enemy. When we reached the fort, after a quick volley from the crossbows our cavalry and Dwarf allies charged into the fray, however our charge was less than stellar, my horse got skewered and I was flung off of it, in the panic I'd make myself an improvised projectile, using my lance I tried to skewer the enemy. After falling unto of a Scyfling bastard I quickly dropped it and went for my sword finishing my opponent, no apprehensiveness, no mercy, only death shall come to the enemy. Whilst on the ground another one of the bastards swung at me, their blade glanced off of my armour and I retaliated with a strike of my own. As the knights essentially became an infantry unit we would push against the enemy, the rain started to fall, during the chaos we managed successfully push, my armour was caked with blood, sweat and rain. We broke into the fort and free'd our garrison, the battle was over and via some miracle we suffered no casualties, though we had many injured and haggard. I lifted my visor and saw my son standing on one of the tents, waving our banner and cheering, a fine lad he had turned into. We have prevailed, Valwyck and Fort Buck are ours once more. Krusae zwy kongzem!’

Credit to @Sarven for your portrayal of the events

Name: Izaak Wick

‘It was a mess.. an utter mess. The Scyflings who were assaulting Fort Buck already held the bridge when we got there, holding the position as they attempted to climb over. Shields held high, we charged into the mass as a group. What comes next can niet easily be described. Shields bashing on shields, swords hacking and slashing, cries being heard from every direction. From the front, I witnessed bodies dropping almost every second. Then came the rain. Cold and heavy, it hammered down upon us as we pushed our way through the narrow bridge. With the drumming of raindrops ringing endlessly through my helmet, hearing anything proved to be a challenge, but I kept moving. Drenched in blood and rain, we wrestled with the enemy for what felt like hours, moving only inch by inch, our shield wall never faltering as we walked over the many corpses that lay on the ground. I remember breathing to be difficult: everyone squeezed so tightly next to each other and the air, heavy and reeking of blood, was suffocating. 'Just keep pushing, it will all be over soon' I kept telling myself, shivering and exhausted. And just then, when I thought we were done for, we managed to break their formation, using the last of our energy charging forward towards the gate as we slaughtered the remaining Scyfling skravis. 'Kruzae Vzy Kongzem' I shouted with the rest of my group as my sword plunged into the heart of one of Bralt's men. From then on, chaos reigned as the last of the Scyflings we're being slayed by my squad, effectively ending the assault. And thus, Fort Buck was reclaimed and the battle won for Haense.’

Credit to @Ezskel for your portrayal of the events

e02b63b34e4b8de5eb8bda0e932e0098.png

Ruins of Camp Rock, Haense

Name: Valco Dragonclaw

‘Late in the evening we were summoned in front of the gate of Fort Buck. We received orders to march to the ruins of Camp Rock to stop the Scyflings. I, Valco, joined the archers behind the lines, nervously waiting to take on those barbarians. We marched up to Camp rock without many problems, only a few enemies showed themselves. All of a sudden we heard the sound of horns. It came from the south! Somehow the Scyflings had managed to sneak behind us! Our army split up, and I stayed behind with a small company to attack the barbarians in the south. Cautiously we marched back to Fort Buck, where we saw that a group of Scyflings tried to get inside the fort. Our soldiers formed a shield wall and I stood behind it, together with some other arches, firing arrows at the enemies trying to get inside out base. When we thinned them out a bit, we charged in. I drew my sword and jumped in, slashing and trusting at the barbarians. Chaos broke out on the bridge. We all got smeared with blood, sweat and mud, because it had started to rain. The enemy lines broke and were pinned between the Haense Royal Army and the gate. But then, somehow they managed to get inside the gatehouse and close the gate. Some of us managed to get inside the fort, but others, me included , were locked out. Behind us some other troops started to appear, dressed in Scyfling armour. I thought they were doomed until one of those troops lifted up their helmet and revealed that they were in fact disguised Haense soldiers. They tricked the barbarians in opening the gate, and we rushed to retake the fort.’

Credit to @Valco for your portrayal of the events

SIEGE OF VALWYCK, 1768

e6136fb6648d30f2a6751d6f052831f9.png

Valstadt Castle, Valwyck

The Duchy of Valwyck faces invasion on the sea

Name: Petyr Baruch

‘The defenders of my Valstadt Castle were few and far between, a rag-tag group of mostly civilians led by myself, the Lord Palatine. We had been marooned for days now, surrounded by Scyflings on all sides. I situated our band of defenders into windows with bows and crossbows, when we heard the distinctive sound of a warhorn and marching. The Scyflings were led by a large, burly man, who shouted his intentions to take our castle on his brutal campaign to Reza. We were impossibly outnumbered, protected only by our walls and some makeshift barricades.

After some taunting by us, the Scyflings unleashed a fury of flaming arrows into our walls, alighting our wooden structures and trees. Some arrows also hit our defenders, including my wife — Sofiya — in the stomach. After a few more volleys of arrows, they brought forward ladders carried by barbarian children. I took no issue having to fire upon the children, knowing it would either kill them or lose my own castle, and family with it. However, it was impossible for us to keep the ladders away forever, and soon we had to man the windows with swords drawn. Brave Princess Amelya and politician Lauritz Christiansen both held off ladders in their respective windows, the latter knocked unconscious by a much larger and more experienced Scyfling berserker. My own Uncle Eirik was shortly after shot in the shoulder, and it became apparent that our numbers were quickly dropping.

While my cousin Emerich Gant, Johanna Amador and Karolina Barclay kept up the fight, the wounded were pulled from their positions to safety. While we were able to keep the Scyflings from entering the window momentarily — the Princess Amelya even knocking down a ladder with Scyflings still on it — eventually some got from the side. We were forced to fall back to the courtyard. Our walls had been breached. Unfortunately, the Scyflings had already begun pouring in, and we had to fight our way out of the gatehouse.

All I could think of as I battled my way out was my two young sons, Little Petyr and Matyas. If we failed here, they would be left subject to these Atheran savages. Eventually the main army force arrived to relieve us, but the damage was done. My castle was battered and burning, and my family injured, but alas, victory was at hand.’

Credit to @CaptainHaense for your portrayal of the events

Credit to @UnBaed for the artwork

Name: Amelya Valeriya

‘We stood in shattered windows along the wall as the horn sounded, and Bralt’s’ barbarian army rose over the ridge. Ten against hundreds. I knew from the moment we spotted them; it would not be a matter of if they got in, but when. Every one of us knew the situation was dire. We would hold out as long as we could, but we wouldn’t be able to hold the keep ourselves. Petyr Baruch’s shouts echoed through the air. Save for his orders to load bows, Valwyck was deafeningly quiet. Click, click. The bow strings snapped into place.

Shouts were exchanged, and the Scyfling army began down the cliffside toward Valwyck. Men, women, children. We fired mercilessly, but for every defensive action, they reciprocated tenfold. The roofs were set alight above us, an arrow lodging itself deep into my shoulder. It wasn’t long before the savages were at our walls, and over half of us were already injured. Siege ladders clattered into place before the windows, and though we hurried to knock them down, glass shattered, doors flew open. The enemy was inside.

I knew as we ran from the battlements that we had lost. With every movement, the arrow in my shoulder tore at my flesh. The Scyflings I had slaughtered in my panic lay unmoving, maring my thoughts with their crimson lifeforce. But the enemy was inside, and I knew that soon, I too would follow in their footsteps. Rapier drawn, I burst out with my comrades into the courtyard, cutting down the first few barbarians before pulling our severely injured behind our last barricade. As their forces drew up to our makeshift wall, another arrow struck me in the leg. I felt my strength begin to fade, the pain in my shoulder searing and burning with heat. I readied myself to see my mother and father again; apologized to my orphaned siblings under my breath. But hurried footsteps and the clash of metal sounded outside, and Haeseni soldiers filtered in through the shattered windows. As the Scyflings below us fell to the earth, the pain building in my shoulder became unbearable, and I faded from consciousness.’

Credit to @MikoMonster for your portrayal of the events

Name: Karolina Barclay 

‘Karolina Barclay’s breathing was harsh as the horn of the enemy was heard. Her crossbow raised out of the window by the gate tower. Her body tensing from the quiet unrest amongst her and the others as no other sounds could be heard after the horn. "Maybe they went around us?" she tried with a jest. Though she knew it to be false hope. And then it began. Arrows sailing towards them, each time they missed her head as she fired back amongst the group headed to the gate with ladders. Her thoughts were a giant mess as fear gripped her heart, though she had no time to think as the enemies tried to rush in. Her sword went through a scyfling's heart as he fell upon three others. Her first kill. She had been to battles before, but never had the chance to truly kill. Injured yes, but she never got to take a life… She wanted to run home, but knew she could not. She had to battle through, had to keep moving. No time to rest as the scyflings banged at the door. Throughout the whole battle she was left with no wound until the end when the army finally came to their rescue. Her mistake to cheer as a sword came slashing on her inner thigh from a scyfling. Leaving a deep gash. Her thought grew anxious as she was left to bleed in the hall amongst the injured in Valwyck. A medic came to patch her up at last after she had fallen to the floor unconscious from blood loss in her own small pool of blood. Her body was put to rest on the bed by Miss Adelaide Myrrh. No, the girl was not to die today. For God was with her.’

Credit to @MissToni for your portrayal of the events

8be62ab132a2aa0b53e43def26915384.png

The Duchy of Valwyck, Haense

Name: Siol

‘As Siol approached the rallied men at Fort Buck just moments before the marching started, the man put on his guild’s armor, including his helmet. Itching for a large-scale battle, the elf controlled his breath, preparing for what was to come with his usual calmness, yet, he could fill the adrenaline kick in… “For Haense'' he let out a warcry as the marching began. As they advanced through the Wickwood Burnt, his strong shield was kept forward, giving protection to those behind him as he stood on his front lines, a position he kept for most of the battle. Once one of the Scyfings’ many foul and deceiving traps revealed itself, the elf’s ears perked inside his helmet as he heard “Protect the King”. His instincts kicked in, as the warrior, experienced with decades of training, pivoted towards his Majesty Siegmund II, offering his aegis to protect his human king, with a boldness as if they were of the same race. Proceeding further, by the king’s side, they encountered numerous armored Scyfing, to which he charged with shield forward and pointed blade to the side, jabbing one down to his death. However, at the defence of Fort Valwick is where the elf showed his true potential. Facing three separate hoards, his Haeseni sword swang and thrusted from his front to his back, and anywhere in between, cutting and stabbing the heathens off the face of the land as they fell to the ground, his shield blocking and parrying and ripostes of the enemy. At the end of it, he was there when Thjolsolf, the leader of the unsuccessful invasion died, watching him hit the ground as well as he finally took his helmet off, somehow making it out of the fearful and bloody battle without any major injuries.’

Credit to @GoodGuyMatt for your portrayal of the events

Name: Aleksandra Ludovar

‘It was a cold, rainy day. I was outside, sparring with the late Karolina Barclay. I lost the spar, but that was the least of my worries. Soon after, the Lord Marshall commanded us to rally right outside Fort Buck. I could feel my heart thumping in my chest. I’ve been training for the military since the young age of nine, though I had never been in battle before. I won’t deny it, I was nervous. However, the excitement of protecting my kingdom and slaughtering Scyflings outweighed my nerves. We marched away from Fort Buck, myself standing on the right flank, near the front of the square formation. We continued, marching through the burning forest. There, we were met by Scyflings atop trees. As we travelled through the forest, we fell victim to many traps and trickeries. The Haeseni army charged towards the Scyflings. For the first time in my life, I had murdered. The first blood on my sword bolstered my pride and determination. We continued to ruthlessly attack the Scyfling invaders, until they were all dead. Afterwards, the archers and cavalry were sent back to defend Fort Buck in case of attack, while the infantry continued through the forest, approaching Valwyck.

Down the path to Valwyck, we were met with much more Scyfling resistance. Many of us, including our King, were injured, though I was not. The injured remained behind while myself and the rest of us charged forwards to attack even more Scyflings. One of them managed to lightly slash through my shield arm, though in the heat of the moment, I hardly felt it. We continued on into Valwyck and assisted the Baruch family in fighting off the remaining Scyflings. Coming out victorious, myself and a small group, led by the Lord Marshall, headed back to Fort Buck, to see if it was under attack. By the time we arrived, we saw that it had indeed been attacked, yet the battle had practically concluded, the Haeseni slaughtering the final few invaders! That night, we celebrated in the New Reza tavern for hours! We all celebrated our victory and I drank three glasses of beer. It was the best night of my life, despite me being very hungover the next morning.’

Credit to @AnonymousAlexa for your portrayal of the events

Name: Hans Calliban

‘I started as Part of the King’s Rally to reclaim Valwyck. As we made our way to Valwyck, we were attacked by Scyfling Archers. My initial Goal of simply killing the Invaders of my Homeland changed into defending his Majesty. I stayed at his Side with my Shield raised high, and managed to push him away from a Pitfall Trap. We continued to march to Valwyck, slaughtering Invaders along the Way, but split under Royal Orders after we learned that Fort Buck was under attack. This enraged me greatly, and I channeled that Rage into my Blade, as I prepared to cleave through the Scyflings with it. Not to sound vain, but I like to think that I was the first in line at the charge on the Scyflings outside of Valwyck. As we arrived at Valwyck, I vaulted into the fray and started attacking them with my Weapon. We waltzed through them with fair Ease, and soon climbed the Ladders the Attackers had used to enter the Keep. Inside we were faced by a Trap intended for the Invaders, a Bear. Yes, an actual Bear. I engaged the Bear to let the others through to where the Defenders were being attacked. After nonlethally dispatching the Bear with the help of a Ludovyck and Siol of the HRA. We then slaughtered the rest of the Attackers, but I failed to prevent their Leader, Thjolsolf, Thane of Bralt, from killing himself. It was then that I hurried to Fort Buck to aid those sent there with reclaiming it. And reclaim it we did. This might sound strange, but I tend to count my Kills in Battle, this one added 13 to my Count.’

Credit to @AdmiralLB for your portrayal of the events

Name: Nikolas Barbanov

‘The flagship residing in the Bay of Valwyck bobbed up and down with the waves. Aboard it, Haense’s finest of the Haense Royal Army and the Hounds of Johnstown gripped their weapons tightly led by the Prince Nikolas Barbanov. Just outside of arrow shot, three longboats filled to the brim with Scyfling warriors yelled curses at them. Bralt the Boar had finally arrived to the North.

The jeering of the Scyfling warriors was cut short as an arrow slammed into their captain. Ellir, one of the Houndsmen, had made an incredible shot despite the distance. This enraged the Scyfling warriors as they went to man the oars. On both sides, volleys of arrows were exchanged leading to casualties on both sides as the ships neared. Lazlo Korsakov, Grandmaster of the Hounds, led half of the men onto the rowboats. They rowed out to meet one of the incoming ships where a bloody melee ensued. . . . .’

((For more on the Battle of the Northern Sea, check out Eddy’s post!))

<link>

IN MEMORIAM TO THE FALLEN HRA SOLDIERS

24932daf9cbd42d829ac01c63ed43815.png

The Haeseni Royal Army off the coasts of Valwyck

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

KAROLINA BARCLAY

N3UKIbluZzPdJpek7iks3fbGm3NxI5YuC6bMD79zPLfdmTZwiXivPPipO_YohGC_yaWYbL6mn4aAyNWd2Tsji9hYmYDRk_IxUlD2SNRTBlvp9NAN3gIfDybevmPzVnwI-hjj6Rlu

1752 - 1768

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

ARIANNE HELVETS

nb5hydmxJj9Ngk0yuW_jVvjcdAyeQO_YaZvAXyvk9_9coJ9CEOzNElTstKqy9SytB1uQmLjC2NOk6OMvkfJxAOTaWHoxLsNuYMK7zhz3Byrf_5CbZYmK0WA-ujgIB9jemJsXs2o4

1729 - 1768

<link>

<link>

<link>

Spoiler

Posted on behalf of @Aidoro 

Credit to @Nathan_Barnett36 for the screenshots

Thanks to everyone who gave their personal account of the events

Finally, a special thanks to @Xarkly , @AndrewTech and those involved in putting together these series of events, we’re eager to see more!

Edited by Zanthuz

The young Lorena Annabelle Helvets would ponder on when she might finally meet her father’s sisters, Arianne and Margaret. Having heard many childhood tales from her papa, she insisted to her mother that her aunts must have many wonderful stories to tell!

Spoiler

@UnBaed Bruh. 😢

The Scyflings sweat as that PK list has since doubled.

From Horik Volik to Torvald Volik, the lineage of Voliks just wonder if they are doomed to be left out of history like the clowns they are 🤡

Spoiler

((Really good post though! +1))

The scent of burning wood and Scyflings still linger in Ser Ivan’s nose as he prepares the next batch of Carrion Cocktails!