Recovering The Ancient Tongue Of The Elves.

Sporadic

Good luck with that. Elven is based on joining words and affixes to create the word you want. To compile a full dictionary would be a VERY large task. It has been put together pretty well on the WIKI [linky link], so perhaps you won't even need to do that.

More in-game books to help people learn Ancient Elven would be good, but there's only about 5 lines per page, so it will very quickly become a large book.

6 pages with 56 characters per line I think.

Because Ancient Elven is practically like the language of the earth we come from, when I spoke Elvish to use magic it was much more responsive and allowed me to build a rapport with the wind.

You should tell me about that. In my head, Elvish defenitiely isn't a 'stupefy!!' tongue for magic, though. I'm thinking long chants and careful incantations.

I'm actually willing to learn this, so I think I'll compile a dictionary like version of this to document when we have almost finished. +1. Very nice work.

Sounds like a plan. I've seen books on elfish language pop up here and there; it seems to be helpful. I'm also planning on a seminar on the language, as I feel that even this topic doesn't completely teach what you're supposed to know

I would very much like to see a few different greeting words in this dictionary, as Ugroth can speak very basic elvish (VERY basic elvish)due to his upbringing.

A casual greeting, to greet friends or family.

A formal greeting, to greet strangers or people of note.

An awed greeting, to greet honoured, or well respected people, like seasoned warriors, or princes.

is everything being compiled onto the first page?

I believe not. He still needs to change things, be patient. But if you want the most recent stuff I suggest you go to the wiki page.

Yes I'm working on it, however slowly. Updates will be eventually upgraded all the way. I just don't have the time to filter right now, so it takes a while (can only be on for short bouts).

Greetings,

I'm a very young elf who's just come out from school. I've been told of your works and would really like to be helpful in investigating about all sorts of Elven history, but what really prickles the back of my neck is the Old Elves' language. My learnings about it are near none, although my mother told me the meaning of my name, which has passed down through generations of my family. I'm eager to be of some use to my kind, as I'm not made for fighting.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Laurir'leh Tal'malin

((I'm coming shortly to the server and I would like to help on your team. I have to really put on some time to learn it, but I hope to be useful in a near future.))

So 14 (fourteen) is moiel vailu [10.4]

Wouldn't it be telu vailu or oem'telu vailu?

Where did you find that? It is telu'vailu, as moiel is nine.

I did a little research and found your notes on the numbers...

((You wrote it yourself on the OP about the numbers))

((BTW, it would be telu vailu (10.4), not telu'vailu, because tenths and units are not linked by an apostrophe, no?))

((Oh, I changed moiel to nine because sound-wise it did not take well to affixes. All numbers greater than 10 require an apostrophe to make it clearer that it is a single number, rather than a 10 and a 4.))

-snip-

The Elven Language is an open project, stranger. One joins the group of Recoverers by simply defining oneself as being in it. That being said, should your contributions and insights prove to be particularly useful and continue to be such, we will be more than glad to review future matters with you in a more personal matter.

Eager to hear from you, fellow scholar.

Rivell Gordian.

((I have still something to ask. I've seen you have derived some words from others. How have you done it? Is there a specific rule, or have you just made up some words as if you had found them in old scripts?))