ASTERCALIA; Musings of the Orderly Sort

Ivoreyy

ASTERCALIA; Musings of the Orderly Sort

By Bianca de Sarkozy

Upon my entry into the Orenian Astercalia, I took it upon myself (as I often do) to traverse through the volumes of history; an ever-present reminder that in fact, the issues I had predicted I’d face were not unique - to assure me that I was simply one of many women facing similar challenges. It is an established feat of the so called ‘courtiers’, no matter what name they may go by (at times I encountered ‘noblefolk’, ‘aristocrat’ or even as awful a term as ‘treacherous palace ladies’), to accept and often partake in a  common undercurrent of dangerously deceptive lies - in such, the Rumor Mill has been created.

This Season’s inherent problems are no standalone occurrence, nor are they one in which the reasonable Orenian could have seen as unpredicted. Every six years or so Oren’s ladies are paraded through the court in spectacular gowns and flowery words; thus allowing for not only the prestigious representation of one’s noble house, but additionally for the opportunity to better one’s social standing through means of strategic marriage. The average child, particularly a little noble girl, looks upon the season with a certain doe-eyed wonder (I know my own sister has), dreaming endlessly to don the dresses of their older counterparts and dance the night away in what seems, to them, to be idyllic bliss. Amongst prayers, they wish, dream and will the years to pass so that they might turn sixteen and be afforded a taste of the ‘splendor’ in which the debutantes, supposedly, are afforded.

Yet there lies a cruel underbelly to what should, by definition, be an exciting time for any young lord or lady. Each grand occasion is met with a flurry of papers - a seemingly endless stream of rumors, hearsay and scandal. They are inescapable - be it penman or potins, the un-canonist or (dare I say) cowardly; these lecherous works seep into each rotting crevice of the court, desperate to circulate the most eye-catching headlines. Whether it be *****, haenser, disappointment or surprise, these papers seek one single goal: to diminish another.

Though I don't believe the authors of such papers read much beyond the tabloids, if they are listening, I should like to enlighten them on three points.

1. Are we not good Canonists, I may ask an author? 

1. Are we not learned Orenians, I may ask an author?

1. Are we not seeking success, I may ask my peers?

And yet, an author deems themselves a concerned canonist. Tell me, o’ anonymous watcher, are we not good canonists?

So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not raise a hand in wrath, nor in envy, nor in any kind of sin.

(Virtue, 5:9)

You see, dear author, I am a woman of scripture. I follow the written faith, and abide by the rules dictated to me by the Lord. This faith, in its most objective and removed form, allows me to ask such a question: however can one deem to judge another’s virtues in relation to the faith, when the very means of doing so absconds the divine principles? The virtuous raise no hand in sin - we dare not harm another in sinful acts, and dare not act out of envy of our peers. If we are to tear a fellow debutante to pieces in a rage that our match has been taken, or our name has been sullied, is this not an act of envy? Is this not an act of sin?

So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not judge your own virtue, be it great or small, for all fall short of Me.

(Virtue, 7:8)

Are we not good canonists, I daresay? Do we not allow the divine presence of the Lord to be the judge of our virtues, the deliverer of our fate? In search of humility by the scroll bestowed upon us by Exalted Horen, we must surrender our judgment to the Lord himself. “We must not judge, and we must certainly not play God by judging others” wrote a certain Father Fiodor, for it is the Lord, and only the Lord, who may condemn our misgivings. So tell me, dear author, are we not good canonists?

And yet, an author styles themselves the “tutor of Oren’s finest”. Tell me, o’ anonymous watcher, are we not learned Orenians?

Your so-called battalion of informants (though certainly accredited only in spreading falsities) fail you in upholding the truest principles of our Empire. You see, dear author, I am a woman of the law. I believe in the righteousness and stability of what is written, and what is universal. Under our law we are afforded the privileges that we so indulge in. I remind you of this upon several counts:

Where an individual disseminates false information about an individual, with intent to harm the reputation of that individual, in a public space or by distribution of printed materials, this shall be defamation in the first degree, a misdemeanor.

(ORC, 202.08C)

Where an individual intention to….raise discontent or disaffection amongst His Majesty's subjects, or to promote feelings of ill-will and hostility between different classes of such subjects, this shall be the crime of sedition, charged with the crime of treason.

(ORC, 204.03A)

Is a tutor not intended to be a figure of knowledge? Are you, dear author, a figure of knowledge? Your words betray the very foundations of our constitution - distributing defamatory words, or otherwise seeking to promote feelings of ill-will between His Majesty’s subjects? Does your writing, dear tutor, not incite such feelings? If you should be placed before Oren’s court, I daresay the verdict would not be within your favor. You cannot claim to be a paragon of an all-knowing, all-seeing nature when you do not acknowledge the fundamental failures in your own understanding. In those many years you claim to have lived, I’d have expected a higher caliber of Orenian academics; the uneducated cannot educate. So tell me, dear author, are we not learned Orenians?

And yet, my fellow peers: do we not strive for success?

It is the unfortunate fact that those who claw their way to higher power (often by way of lies, slander or the cutthroat politics of the season) may well find themselves successful. One may step into the matrimonial suite to receive the hand of the most wealthy or most nobly-endowed man; earning themselves the fortune of a Countess, a Duchess or mayhaps even a Princess. 

We equally share this thirst for success- it is inherent in any man, woman or child. Though I ask: do we consider how best to achieve this? You see, fellow peers, I am a woman of logic. I believe in reaching the most suitable (and in turn the most effective) solution. Astercalia invites each Household to showcase prestige and strength, therefore encouraging advantageous matches. This is our common desire. But howso, in considering this logic, may we determine the most effective way of meeting such a goal?

It is quite simple: Create, debutantes, do not destroy. 

Allow me a metaphor, if you will:

Say we are united in a common interest to create the grandest castle. Whichever man boasts the greatest contribution to this project, in such a case, is afforded a prize. Kings, nobles and peasants alike flock to such a competition - desiring wholly to see their designs, colors or stones reign supreme above the efforts of every other. Yet, if every citizen were to only tear down the bricks laid by others, vying to hoard more stones than the man beside him, there would soon be no castles left. Certainly if you topple the tower of another theirs cannot be grander than yours, but when they return the favor the dust will settle upon two broken columns.

However, should each man cast away such petty desires and refocus themselves upon constructing the highest tower - the grandest arch… we would find ourselves with not a castle, but a palace. Our greatest successes come not through the destruction of others, but rather through the mutual desire to be better than one another. 

Does a Duchess wish to preside over piles of broken stones, or perhaps the grandeur of a palace? 

My fellow debutantes, I am your competitor by the simple fact we desire the same thing - to uplift the prestige of our respective houses. I do not hate you, nor do I wish to see you fail, but I am simply constrained by the fact that there is a finite reward, and an infinite amount of competitors. In the spirit of being your competitor, I shall compete. I shall not degrade myself by resorting to slanderous, pitiful work aimed only to destroy you. Quite simply, and with mind to logic, I will strive to do better.

There is no grafication in winning a race when you have tied the legs together of the other competitors. We must break this growing trend of trampling one another in order to crawl across the finish line. That is not victory; it is not progress nor is it innovation. That is basic survival. 

As Lady Margaux Helvets best worded it during the 1810 Season “I am no Saint”, I confess that I myself am no paragon of virtue (despite my pride in my title as a debutante not to be crossed). I read my scriptures, practice my grace, and yet still I fall short of the divine expectations set upon us by the first woman, Juliya, and further will at times fall short of the precedent set before by written law. I may sin. I may lie. And certainly, I may in humble mistake do wrong by my state.

Yet as I have said, 

I am a woman of the scripture,

I am a woman of the law, and

I am a woman of logic.

If you so wish to challenge my musings, I welcome this. In striving to do better than one another, we find ourselves progressing. If you disagree in my interpretation of the faith, of the law, or thusly of my logic, I plead you:

Write me back, dear author. Do you worst, for I shall do my best.

With love,

Your unbeloved, Hanseni-dressing, excessively endowed with siblings and not to be crossed debutante,

Bianca de Sarkozy

@amyselia @PrincessSnowie @latte

Spoiler

a little reminder that this is just an irp response to the posts my character has encountered irply. feel free to absolutely rip me apart in a response! :)

"You are an absolute Sarkopsycho Bianca." Joseph Clement de Sarkozy said at the dining table while stuffing his mouth with taters, taking a BIG chug of Carrion Black when he finished reading the entire scroll of musings. "You could be named EXALTED BIANCA, writer of the Scroll of Musings."

Chloe penned a letter to Bianca in response. 

"You make a wonderful point Lady de Sarkozy, I hope to see more work from you soon. 

Signed, 

Lady Chloe Giselle de Rosius."

Peter read over the missive while nodding at its astute observations. Before long he was searching his study for a certain tome, something he had not done in a long time.

"You are doing House Sarkozy so proud, Bianca." I'm sure your father is proud of you." Helena gave her daughter a warm smile.

The Savoyard Princess, who had left her home for Oren perused through the letter. "Her dresses are Haenseti?'' She shock her head in disapproval, averse of the Northern realm. "Yet, her words are true - no one can judge you.." Her tone lowered itself. "-even GOD!"

Analiese wiped her tears as she finished reading the Penmans latest issue on her, before having read a certain d'Azor stamped letter. Once she read Bianca's own letter her warmest of smiles returned for the first time in a while, placing a hand over her heart. She felt so lucky to have found such a kind friend as Bianca. The young d'Azor then put on her hat, threw together a basket of pastries, and wandered across the street to Bianca's home.

Edited by PrincessSnowie