Admin Decision re Haelun'or

HogoBojo

This thread has been unlocked to allow for feedback on our systems, the resolution made by Administration, and the handling of the situation over the past week and a half.

Please keep discussion on topic, avoid meme-responses, and remain both civil and respectful. Comments that attack members of our server's community will not be tolerated. Please see my response to these types of comments here.

Apologies this was locked at the start - we had already spoken with leadership on both sides in-depth and did not foresee this decision getting as much attention and feedback from the wider community as it has. We had imaged this post to be here for information, though as many people seem interested in discussing this issue I am happy to hear feedback.

We don't want a situation like this to happen again, so any ideas the community can provide around these rules and systems is very much appreciated. I really love to see ideas and discussions such as @argonian's thread, and hope to continue having productive chats on these issues.

Cheers.

The transparency is always refreshing. 

I think that direct intervention can only be justified once. It would be far more preferable and less disruptive to smooth out a system that Iviarelle's group could have fallen back on. You might recall me arguing about this earlier with Narthok's rebellion and their subsequent lack of anywhere to go. 

I think this is just a learning moment for designing around behavior. Our systems have to reflect how roleplay naturally plays out, including the recurring scenario of rebels having a cause without a home. There are of course more issues at hand, but I believe they can be addressed in the same manner.

I will link my post (which is now locked) pertaining to this thread that was started before this thread was unlocked:

I highly recommend you read the official thread here, maybe take a look at my thread, and then post in the comments of this thread if you have anything to add.

@LlirWhy can old inactive players have such pull on your in-game communities without your active in-game players having priority? Why are your in-game nations run through Discord? When will the Whitelist be wiped so we can all see who comes around only for conflict and remove sleeper alts?

Feel like you are playing much too loose with players that only have an interest in the community when what they left is being threatened.

Moving forward, will the Administration work to better the user experience of your active playerbase?

Massive W

A little disappointing to see how much vitriol this seems to have sparked with a lot of people (see: the people more willing to spend effort malding in here than actually contributing to RP in Hnor lmao), but you gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

2 minutes ago, - Pastry said:

Massive W

A little disappointing to see how much vitriol this seems to have sparked with a lot of people (see: the people more willing to spend effort malding in here than actually contributing to RP in Hnor lmao), but you gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

I think that is ignoring the fact players have a lot of pent up frustration with how current and past admins for the past three years (and longer) have straight up let every single community down with their decisions. I tried RPing with the old Hnorian's and they actively ignored me or did nothing in regards to the complaints I levied IRPly, and the only time they did was to 'dunk' on me. Even people who don't care about the Elf Sphere of LotC just see this as a massive loss, this was a movement going on for IRL months and we were frankly just ignored up until Hnor got backed into a corner and they miraculously manage to survive when they did actively nothing to prepare for coming conflict and outright said in Discord they were not even going to log in, so they could avoid dying. Players get sick and tired of anyone getting OOC protection when they frankly fucked up. The 'vitriol' is just merely a symptom of a problem that stems from the community environment and how staff have decided to deal with most situations. Though we did actually contribute to RP, we had 30 or so players on yesterday when old Hnor only mustered 11 and attempted to disrupt what we were doing in the tavern but we just pushed past until they basically retreated and instantly logged out when they knew admins wouldn't be paying attention, I should also mention this whole RP movement has been going on for months IRL so it wasn't like it came out of no where. Most people are gonna want to mald because frankly with all that transpired IRPly we should have won, Hnor had no standing force, had failed to secure allies and had failed to sway any from Ivarielle's side to support them. Feels pointless to RP on a server where there seems to be no consequences to sides that should have lost.

Yikes is all I can say.

Having an RP reason due to it being "better than voiding the RP" doesn't make it a good choice in the slightest. I don't think I've ever seen a group on LotC get more preferential treatment from the admins in my 10 years on this server. 

1 minute ago, CorweenieTheJedi said:

Everything about this has been mishandled in every way, with the punishment being placed on players while the administration gets away scot free without facing any sort of reprimand or accountability for their actions -

What mainly annoys me about this is I know the defense in these kind of cases, not strictly towards admins but staff in general, will often be something along the lines of we are simply just volunteers and try our best to do better, yet the SAME mistakes and massive ones in terms of player safety repeated, year after year. I don't understand how that is meant to be a defense, because I don't understand what being a volunteer has to do with lacking any professionalism in how the staff/admins handle their conduct, decisions, abuse, and **** ups. We have to keep in mind that we have about 250+ players that log in everyday, and ultimately staff with their decisions determine if they have a safe and enjoyable time on the server, and from my interactions with the admins, I just feel like this is nothing more than a ******* game to them, just to stuff up as some CV fodder, sounds impressive to have an active community of 250 people, not so much if you were to look into and see how utterly dysfunctional everything is. All one can do is hope the server gets better but no one is gonna be holding their breath with how things have been going. Least Lego Star Wars is out in a couple days.

21 minutes ago, rukio said:

r

21 minutes ago, rukio said:

Significant RP is ignored to get this ruling to pass. Ivarielle's group had significant backing from the world, the Republicans did not. Republicans lost their war, along with everything else Buff said in his post.

Very well said, Rukio. I also found it really weird that admins decided to overturn the decision of us handing over NL and PRO to Twi without proper reasoning. We put in months of RP, meeting up with Ivarielle, making plans for the changes that needed to be made, Twi being willing to donate a FAIR amount to the Haelun'or treasury, the buildup of a group based around the coming together of people who wanted change, only to have all of our hard work completely stomped on.

Within two days of Kiwi getting NL, we had nonaggression pacts, we had approval of the entirety of the server, and we had, excuse my language, worked our asses off. With the change of leadership, there will be a ton of setbacks, and plans that we had for Haelun'or are now going to be set on fire and tossed away. We got accused relentlessly of oocly trying to 'destroy Haelun'or' and 'ruin the culture', despite us only doing this for the good of the community. We wanted to revive it, add new meaning to Haelun'or and create a community where everyone felt welcome. 

While my position wasn't nearly as big as Kiwi's or Twi's, I had been working as the head of the military and I didn't even get the courtesy of clearing out my things before they straight up removed me from all the locks. A certain group of people claim we were trying to destroy Haelun'or, despite me spending endless hours dedicated to the Sillumir, even putting in 2+ days weekly for the majority of my time as military head. I had a certain portion of the community I was completely dedicated to, that I wanted to improve and that I tried so hard to make better for those participating.

While I can't argue with the admin team, (not like they would really listen anyways, let's all be honest), I am genuinely upset that I was quickly ostracized from a community I had poured endless hours into. I am also upset with how admin handled this, how they put off conflict, how they turned over PRO and NL without a proper reason, and how they dealt with this whole thing. I actually reported a case of metagaming related to this case to itdontmatta, and I was ghosted for over 5 days. He was all too nonchalant about the situation, and it only added to the worsening of everything. 

That being said, I am grateful to admin for giving us the opportunity to prove that we can actually build a community where we all feel safe, validated, and welcome. I can't wait to show you all what we have to bring to the table in the upcoming weeks. 

Edited by TwistChunky

I cannot express my disappointment, i have a lot to say but @Monkee said it 100 times better than I could.

I kept my mouth shut and I didn't complain publicly about this shitshow until now because I thought administration had a tiny bit of COMMON SENSE and  I didn't want to appear as petty, but lately every hope i had has been ruined.

I'm sorry to be rude but I cannot express it with any other words:

not only Administration has proven to be incompetent with handling such situations and disputes but it has proven to not consider the playerbase, safety, welfare and integrity at all!

I would like to say a lot more but it's better that i stop here, since the others above said a lot of the things i wanted to say.

I am so tired i can't even be mad anymore, I'm just greatly disappointed.

If you really care about the playerbase, CHANGE! And show us that you do!

This said, I hope you are having a good day :) this is nothing personal.

Administration, for all I care in its entirety, should step down over this debacle. At each and every turn we were met with last minute changes of demands from the administration team.

Be it the increase in war costs, the constant delaying of warclaims when we were finally allowed to make one, the changing of warclaim goals after the fact, the taking away of PRO when we legitimately obtained such through rp or the banning of conflict within Haelun'or when we were succesfully driving out the few people that were still squatting in a city that is rightfully ours.

Your handling of this entire situation has been unbecoming of someone of your position, but also extremely disrespectful towards the people that spent the last few months attempting to save a nation that they (in some cases) have been part of for years.