A Decade's Reflection: AndrewTech's 10 Year Message & AMA

AndrewTech

Congratulations on a decade of great accomplishments

What were some of LOTC's best communities that you weren't a part of?

discord and its consequences have been a disaster for minecraft roleplay

Which of your characters has been your favourite?

What rp moment has been the most impactful on you, in a good or bad way?

How are you so cool?

Do you believe that the gradual shift towards OOC politics was inevitable or do you think it could have been prevented?

I am in the former camp- with the advent of communication mediums like Discord and an aging playerbase, it seems to me the evolution from the innocent days of 2012 LotC to present day was going to happen regardless.

Also, side note: doxxing and other heinous acts were very common back in the day and are not necessarily products of the times. It seems to me actually these deeds are done less frequently than in the past, though that might be because I don’t hang around the playerbases that are inclined to doxx/ddos/etc as I used to in my younger years.

2 minutes ago, Wholesome_Thomas said:

Congratulations on a decade of great accomplishments

What were some of LOTC's best communities that you weren't a part of?

Oh man... I wish I could've been a part of the Teutonic Order formally. That would've been awesome. But at the time my parents were really strict about me not using Teamspeak or Skype (being 14 and all) so I didn't get involved in any of the major Anthosian military orders. :/

The White Rose would definitely also be a contender, as well as Kralta. Basically all the old groups back in Anthos I interacted with but was never formally a part of.

But I've been a part of of some REALLY great and fun communities, so I can't complain!

4 minutes ago, KaiserJacobII said:

Which of your characters has been your favourite?

What rp moment has been the most impactful on you, in a good or bad way?

How are you so cool?

1.) Celestine Herbert, Konrad Stafyr, and Elizabeth Brae-Wittenbach are my favorites. I've played a lot of characters, but these are probably my top three because of the rich narratives and impacts that they've left.

This is because all three of them developed really naturally. They came into their own, rising from nothing into being figures that gained strong legacies in their own right. All three were, and in Eliza's case are, very special.

But as a special honorable mention, my elf that I've had for 9 years, Pandora, is also really special to me. I'd say she's probably my favorite just because she means so much to me and I've had so many lasting memories from my childhood on her.

2.) That's a good question... Honestly, I'd say it was the moment I walked into the VonSchlichten engineering facility in Kalos and got pugsied by some random dude there. If not for that pugsy and the VonSchlichtens coming to check on me thereafter, I would have probably quit the server and my life would be a lot different, no cap.

3.) Because I follow the Golden Rule, my dude!! Treat others as you'd like to be treated and everything else falls into place. :) 

What was your least favorite LoTC conflict and how did it impact your view point on LoTC?

Also favorite JNC conversation?

What is your favorite lore piece on the server and why do you like it so much?

Have you heard of the High Elves?

8 minutes ago, yopplwasupxxx said:

Do you believe that the gradual shift towards OOC politics was inevitable or do you think it could have been prevented?

I am in the former camp- with the advent of communication mediums like Discord and an aging playerbase, it seems to me the evolution from the innocent days of 2012 LotC to present day was going to happen regardless.

Also, side note: doxxing and other heinous acts were very common back in the day and are not necessarily products of the times. It seems to me actually these deeds are done less frequently than in the past, though that might be because I don’t hang around the playerbases that are inclined to doxx/ddos/etc as I did in my younger years.

1.) I think it was honestly always inevitable. As the years went by and we all formed our very tightly knit and separate cliques, the logical conclusion was that a situation like this would manifest.

As we all continued to tribalize, it became more difficult to conduct politics IRP because the stakes shifted to being very OOC based. It became a competition between competing friend groups, a similar phenomenon to opposing football teams or high school cliques trying to get one up on the "other guys" because it meant a lot to their prestige.

I can remember people complaining about this as far back as Anthos. But uh...

20 minutes ago, argonian said:

discord and its consequences have been a disaster for minecraft roleplay

Literally this. I know you're meming @argonian, but it's very true. I think Discord has forever changed the sort of roleplaying environment we used to enjoy, and it's gonna be really hard to restore it without a mass movement. I think things would be better if we didn't invest in Discord so much to govern things, which of course we have to do to get ahead of the "other guys" all the time."

In short, I'd say that I'm also in the former camp. I think there are things that could have been done, but this was always going to eventually be the way that things went.

2.) You may very well be right. I didn't use Teamspeak and I only started using Skype sparingly during 4.0, so I likely wasn't privy to a lot of that stuff. I'm glad it's been reduced, but I would still hope that we could strive to eliminate it in its entirety.

31 minutes ago, AndrewTech said:

Also, no overly vulgar questions or requests for personal information please.

damn there go my plans.
ANYWAY: favourite memory in oren/haense? funniest RP you remember? what was it like to see the server de/evolve in a decade? what was your favourite and what was your least favourite map and why?

What is something you haven't yet done/pursued on the server that's always been a goal of yours in mind?

What is your earliest rp memory of lotc?

Do you ever find yourself feeling old because someone in ooc said something about having to go t school or something school related to just straight up their parents telling them to do something?

What do you think the ratio of old to young people is?

When will Glee and Pandora finally reunit after 9 or years?

Good to see you around buddy and caring about the community. I find that myself, still care which is why even after a breaks even if they exist multiple years, I end up back to check stuff out. LOTC has definitely been a huge part of my childhood.

3 hours ago, Asutto said:

What was your least favorite LoTC conflict and how did it impact your view point on LoTC?

Also favorite JNC conversation?

1.) My absolute least favorite conflict was during 4.0, near the very end of @ChumpChump's time playing Emperor Tuvya.

It was my first real chance at working in human government, but the people at the top decided to work with my IRP brother to ruin my reputation, sabotage my political career, and force me into a corner where I had to PK my character. As my character, Nicholas Blackwell the Baron of Ager, was a supporter of the Carrions, the Storm King and his followers wanted to eliminate me and install someone more sympathetic at the top of our house.

Frankly, I couldn't maneuver like they could because I didn't use Teamspeak. It sucked, terribly. And for a while, it drove me away from humanity. Missed the Duke's War because of it and left the server for like 2 years until 5.0 rolled around, at which point @cruzazul gave me a second chance to prove myself and I created a really successful boom town!

2.) The one where Jake famously said "i'm glad we groomed you for leadership and not molestation" 👀

2 hours ago, Fie said:

damn there go my plans.
ANYWAY: favourite memory in oren/haense? funniest RP you remember? what was it like to see the server de/evolve in a decade? what was your favourite and what was your least favourite map and why?

1.) O-Oh my... 😳 

ANYWAYS!

2.) I have a lot of great memories in Oren. It's where I spent the first 7 years of my time on the server.

But when it comes to the most recent Oren, it would probably be when Eliza brokered the Wittenbach Accords between two countries she loved dearly. It was very dynamic, and watching the two monarchs play chess to determine the treaty's fate was really awesome.

It was the culmination of like 3-4 different IRP meetings and at the time, neither side thought it was going to be possible. And for her triumphs, Eliza was made a Petrine knight and declared a hero of the Empire. A great way to end her political career as a populist champion!

Honestly thought? Beyond the most recent version of Oren, I also remember re-enacting Half Life 1 in 3.0 at the VonSchlichten research facility in @Mirtok's Hanseti where the Teutonic Order got called in to fight off interdimensional invaders (endermen). And in 5.0, the townsfolk of Chambery made a HUGE deal over @cruzazul's visit. It meant so much to have the Emperor pay homage to your town back then and I loved the vibe of the whole occasion we threw for it.

My favorite memory in Haense is probably the Athera Expedition. That whole event line was really fun and dynamic, and it felt super driven by roleplay. It was awesome to go on the expedition with all the buddies I’d made and explore a compelling Haense narrative. 

3.) Okay so! When I was a nooblet in 2.5, Saul VonSchlichten had this obstacle course at his engineering company. He wanted to test human reflexes, so he'd contently hire people from the mainland to come back to the island and run it as "test subjects."

Well back then, brothels were still allowed under server rules........ So one day, he went over to the one on the human island and asked all the ladies there to participate "in a job" he had "back at the facility."

They got sooooooo mad IRP when they learned the truth of what they had actually been hired to do! 😂

In the end, the red haired one amongst them broke our highest score, and I remember laughing so, so hard.

4.) Thankfully, I've taken two extended breaks. Once after early 4.0 for about 2 years, and then another after early 5.0 for about 3. So I haven't been around the whole way through.

But I've seen enough. It's sad, really. It's very discouraging to think that all the fun that I had as a teenager may not be something that the newer players of this generation will be able to experience. This place was my childhood, it did a lot for me during some really difficult times in my life where I was awkward, socially anxious, and going through some weird middle school / high school transitions.

But I hope that through my actions, and the actions of others, we can help to bring at least a little bit of that back. It all starts with setting a good example, and with people that others look up to taking the initiative to make the world dynamic and create fun for others.

The Lectors of Owyn are probably the closest thing to the old days still around today, and they're a blast. I legitimately believe that emulating their approach to getting people engaged in RP would be excellent for the server as a whole.

5.) Most favorite? Well, my most favorite was Kalos, though I'm probably in the extreme minority there. I loved all the times I had with the VonSchlichtens on their little island, and sailing from place to place to each racial island in boats was kinda cool.

But Anthos was probably my favorite mainstream map. 3.0 was the best map, in my opinion, that LotC has ever spawned. It was honestly perfect and though we were all stupid kids back then, those were some of my favorite times. Axios too is a decent honorable mention after that.

The Fringe is also worth an honorable mention, where the Chivay Empire came into its own and the Orcs were strong, which was fun. That's where I did my first actual human nobility RP too with House Blackwell.

As for my least favorite? Athera. Man I hated Athera, and not just because I got screwed over politically at the time. It was way too small and I plainly just didn't like the vibe. Maps have to have a certain vibe and layout to be good, but Athera just didn't have it. Everything was too close together and it sucked, though I enjoyed the event in which we went back there for nostalgia's sake.