A Decade's Reflection: AndrewTech's 10 Year Message & AMA

AndrewTech

What is your favorite rp interaction with me?

What is the most boomer thing you have seen Harren do?

What comes to mind when you think “cmu”

56 minutes ago, AndrewTech said:

I think Discord has forever changed the sort of roleplaying environment we used to enjoy, and it's gonna be really hard to restore it without a mass movement. I think things would be better if we didn't invest in Discord so much to govern things, which of course we have to do to get ahead of the "other guys" all the time."

I think the Aviary plugin is a step in the right direction at least. It's nice to send in-character messages to people when they aren't online. A big reason that Discord is so dominant is that it's by far the best place to coordinate stuff on. I think the server should invest more effort into expanding in-character communication abilities so that Discord isn't 100% required to plan big events or storylines anymore. Maybe then we could start to slowly chip away at discord leadership cliques in nations and circular friend groups hopping around VCing and ignoring everyone else.

31 minutes ago, PerfectlyPeachy said:

What is something you haven't yet done/pursued on the server that's always been a goal of yours in mind?

What is your earliest rp memory of lotc?

1.) Someday? I'd like to RP as a self sufficient sea captain, or try out being a member of the Church. I'd really like doing either of those things. Those are the only things I really haven't done, but I'd honestly love to do them.

2.) My earliest RP memory on LotC is of the first time I logged on. I traveled to Arethor, Oren's first capital back in 2.0 to interact with some people. I remember witnessing someone trying to kill another person in the square, and Boendil of all people holding trial in the courtroom thereafter.

The first person I spoke to / met? @Hanrahan, who's amazing still around even to this day! My character crashed on his couch before moving onto Ildon, where he hung with the Adunians until the map got deleted by hackers.

Overall, a fun experience. Didn't really get hooked until the VonSchlichtens though in 2.5 if I'm honest.

1 hour ago, Tox said:

What is your favorite lore piece on the server and why do you like it so much?

Have you heard of the High Elves?

1.) Transfiguration by far. I love that lore piece because it allows for so many creative projects to be undertaken. It's the most useful and intriguing magic and I hope it never gets ruined.

2.) Yes.............. Fun fact, a buddy and I broke into Haelun'or's ruins last map and egged Kalenz Uradir's portrait as Arcas came to an end in its final moments. 😁

21 minutes ago, SortedJarhead said:

are adunians the servers protagonist or antagonist?

Protagonist.

16 minutes ago, space warlord organ trader said:

did tyrug really, y'know, eliza?

SHE NEVER EVEN MET HIM 😭 But i am glad he was slayed by Almighty Quentin for his lies.................

35 minutes ago, The Elfen Lie said:

Do you ever find yourself feeling old because someone in ooc said something about having to go t school or something school related to just straight up their parents telling them to do something?

What do you think the ratio of old to young people is?

When will Glee and Pandora finally reunit after 9 or years?

Good to see you around buddy and caring about the community. I find that myself, still care which is why even after a breaks even if they exist multiple years, I end up back to check stuff out. LOTC has definitely been a huge part of my childhood.

1.) I do, yes. I still relate though because I'm in graduate school now. The pain never ends, my friend! But yes I absolutely do feel old sometimes. But I've shifted to thinking of myself as more of a mentor than anything.

2.) Probably 60-40 these days in favor of old people, because it's so hard for newer people to stick around and we just can't leave! It's very sad.

3.) Soon hopefully! I've just been busy with something new I've been running so I haven't been playing Pandi a lot lately. I'd love for them to meet again though, I think it'd be an awesome development for both characters.

4.) Thank you. I'll admit, I don't know how much longer I'll be around but I love this server. Even after I take the final steps to reducing my involvement in leadership stuff I'll probably still hang around on characters like Pandi and others here and there with my buddies. We have to be good examples to unto people, especially the younger players, and I'm glad I'm around to still do that.

57 minutes ago, DahStalker said:

What is your favorite rp interaction with me?

What is the most boomer thing you have seen Harren do?

What comes to mind when you think “cmu”

1.) When Celestine visited Kaedrin in Arcas that very first time. That was a great interaction with Mariana. I laughed hard when I found out you just invented the whole "Festival of Saint Thomas" on the spot for her ethnographical research later on 😂

2.) One time, I saw him getting all giddy about his vintage 1920s atlas collection or something. That was definitely a boomer moment right there!!

3.) I think of Hunwald. Mining coal. In a coal mine. Also, I think of how a lot of those guys call me by boomer nickname, "Techus". It's caught on with the newer generation now which is kinda funny.

2 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

I think the Aviary plugin is a step in the right direction at least. It's nice to send in-character messages to people when they aren't online. A big reason that Discord is so dominant is that it's by far the best place to coordinate stuff on. I think the server should invest more effort into expanding in-character communication abilities so that Discord isn't 100% required to plan big events or storylines anymore. Maybe then we could start to slowly chip away at discord leadership cliques in nations and circular friend groups hopping around VCing and ignoring everyone else.

PREACH

based takes as always atech, welcome to the 10 year club

I've always tried to avoid VCs when possible. I'm thankful I'm apart of a group where we mostly RP and coordinate a few things here and there oocly to make things smoother in RP. Plus they are based on merit rather than joining a VC for majority of the time to get anywhere in that settlement.

Question time!

1. As someone who's been in leadership, what advice would you give for someone who is new to it?

2. How did you create or come up with event/rp story lines that are fun for players to participate in that's not just

[!] A bandit appeared on the road!

3.  Any recommendation in becoming a better roleplayer?

48 minutes ago, Petsch2k said:

I've always tried to avoid VCs when possible. I'm thankful I'm apart of a group where we mostly RP and coordinate a few things here and there oocly to make things smoother in RP. Plus they are based on merit rather than joining a VC for majority of the time to get anywhere in that settlement.

Question time!

1. As someone who's been in leadership, what advice would you give for someone who is new to it?

2. How did you create or come up with event/rp story lines that are fun for players to participate in that's not just

[!] A bandit appeared on the road!

3.  Any recommendation in becoming a better roleplayer?

1.) Listen to others. The people you interact with are your most valuable assets, yes, but don't treat them like assets. Treat them like people. Show them the same empathy and support you would want to be shown, and try to give them a chance to shine. When you lift others up and make them stronger, you're making the community you are working for stronger as well.

In short, don't build upon the backs of others. Build them up, and by extension they and your community will both be stronger for it.

2.) Oh this is a hard one. But, luckily for you, I've had 2 years of ST experience and 8 years of really good DMing experience outside of that!

You're welcome to DM me for advice on this, but basically, think of a compelling narrative that will get the players engaged. Then, roll with the punches. The most important thing is their fun, not yours.

Tailor your event accordingly and make sure the players get something out of it / enjoy it so that they'll remember it for what it was.

3.) My honest, brutal advice would be to focus on doing unique IRP things rather than focusing on government. Start up something within the framework that creates roleplay, some sort of group that gives people purposes that they can join and flesh their characters out with. Government is great, but it's the independent guilds, orgs, businesses, and initiatives that make people good roleplayers.

As for improving roleplay quality, just get into your character! Don't VC, distance yourself from distractions. Immerse yourself and really figure out what it is that makes your character tick. Don't be afraid to sprinkle a little bit of comedic relief in there either, or do things that might seem rash or outside of the box.

What is your favourite RP interaction with me? 

And what is some advice you would like to give me for the future?

Also, my favourite roleplay interaction with you was when Katerina and Celestine talked in the tavern in Karosgrad. It was so sweet and wholesome.

3 hours ago, MissToni said:

What is your favourite RP interaction with me? 

And what is some advice you would like to give me for the future?

Also, my favourite roleplay interaction with you was when Katerina and Celestine talked in the tavern in Karosgrad. It was so sweet and wholesome.

1.) I also think my favorite interaction with you was probably between Celestine and Katerina during "the Troubles." Rudi's reign was a hard time for me in Haense OOCly, but it did lead to some pretty great RP. Especially with Celestine and her attempts to make sure the NGS survived and look after those whom she thought were being persecuted unjustly.

2.) Hmm... Other than everything else I've said to others on this thread, which I think applies to anyone, I'd say the best advice I can offer is to just go with the flow when you're doing stuff. Try not to jump to the worst possible conclusion about things until you've had a chance to wait and see what happens. Take a glass half full perspective rather than a glass half empty one.

I struggled with looking at things from a glass half empty perspective a lot when I was younger, even as recently as 2 years ago. It caused me a lot of stress and I've done / said some things that I greatly regret because of it. But eventually, I was able to let go of those worries because I realized that I couldn't control the future. I could only do the best that I can in the present.

The best things I've ever gotten or have achieved on the Craft have come about when I've least expected them, and wasn't actually working toward them. King of Haense was a surprise, getting to play Catherine was a surprise, the NGS becoming so successful was a surprise, etc. So in short, and I'd say this goes for everyone else out there as well, just focus on the here and now and don't worry about what people may decide or do in the future.

I wish I could marry you in the real life. 

Congratulations on 10 years! I don't remember if we've ever directly interacted in roleplay, but with just what I've read here you could write a pretty good book based on your stories. It's really heartening to see your attitude towards LOTC and roleplay, myself included I think sometimes folks get quite caught up in the moment and forget we're all here to have fun on a Minecraft server.

What is your favorite non Orenian/Haeseni type of culture you've roleplayed with so far?

Do you have a favorite tavern you frequent or one that stands out in memory?

3 hours ago, tilly said:

I wish I could marry you in the real life. 

😳 zomg...... just d-don't tell Alex................

3 hours ago, Moo_bot said:

Congratulations on 10 years! I don't remember if we've ever directly interacted in roleplay, but with just what I've read here you could write a pretty good book based on your stories. It's really heartening to see your attitude towards LOTC and roleplay, myself included I think sometimes folks get quite caught up in the moment and forget we're all here to have fun on a Minecraft server.

What is your favorite non Orenian/Haeseni type of culture you've roleplayed with so far?

Do you have a favorite tavern you frequent or one that stands out in memory?

I don't think we have either, but thank you! I really appreciate those kind words. There's certainly a few stories I could theoretically write a book about, but I'd rather not because I wouldn't want to make one of my characters seem like the main protagonist. LotC should be a cooperative writing experience if it's done right.

I will say though that if such a thing were to be written, I'd want whoever did it to explore the chronicles of Godfrey, Sigismund, and Tuvya. That would be an awesome GoT styled story that could be told, if done right. But anyway!

1.) That's a hard one. Most of the human cultures I'm familiar with originated within those two communities so I'd have to say that my favorite, though it might seem surprising, would be Orcish culture. When done right, has a lot of spiritualism, inter-clan competition, and strong unspoken customs that make it a very gritty, dark, tribal experience. It can be really fun for Orcs and non-Orcs alike if it's done well with good quality RPers. It really was a fun player base to play around back in its "golden age."

I also thoroughly enjoy elvish culture, from all of the subraces. The elven language is very rich and the elvish player bases used to have the most amazing roleplay back in the day. That's sorta been lost a little, as it has been with everyone. but I'm hopeful that it can make more of a resurgence as the the changing landscape of the elven world takes shape.

Someday, I'd like to also casually play a dwarf from one of the mercantile or craftsman clans. Something like a Goldhand or a Starbreaker, get to do some tinkering RP and engage in some greedy salesmanship ICly. That's not a culture I've RPed around at all, but I know it's a very rich one. Urguan has deep roots in server lore like humanity has, so I'm interested in seeing what it's like eventually.

2.) Unfortunately, I don't really frequent taverns a lot IRP these days. I get so busy doing other things on the server, in addition to an extremely busy IRL, that I just don't have time. But! I really enjoyed @DISCOLIQUID's tavern in Vienne. That's a contemporary tavern that I really liked, as well as @Valannor's in Karosgrad back when he ran one.

As for the best taverns of all time, I'll always remember the Rusty Cog 2.0, which was the VonSchlichten tavern that we ran in Abresi (Oren's 3.0 capital) at the map's beginning. That was probably my favorite one. That and the spiritual predecessor that they ran, the Rusty Cog 1.0 in Kalos, which iis what's shown iin my initial post.

Honorable mentions also include The Red Feather Tavern run by @Rayna Starin Chambery, my town within Oren in Axios (5.0), which I honestly always enjoyed so much. It was the beating heart of the community and she and the Sintels ran it so well.

The Kingston tavern in Salvus during Anthos (3.0) was also a blast. Also the roadside tavern positioned near Haelun'or on the way to Oren in Athera (4.0), which was always bustling and was one of the server's main activity hubs on that map! That was a really awesome place for sure.

Oh, and of course the tavern I ran in Old Reza during Arcas (7.0) for a while was an awesome place as well. :)

*old person high-five!*

You said it way better than I ever could.

A couple of questions for ya:

1. Favorite rp memory with me?

2. What's a type of character (race, personality, culture, whatev) that you haven't played yet that you either would like to play one day or that you can't bring yourself to play (for reasons known or unknown)?

45 minutes ago, Rayna Star said:

*old person high-five!*

You said it way better than I ever could.

A couple of questions for ya:

1. Favorite rp memory with me?

2. What's a type of character (race, personality, culture, whatev) that you haven't played yet that you either would like to play one day or that you can't bring yourself to play (for reasons known or unknown)?

Thank you so much, my old friend. :) That truly means a lot to me.

1.) I think some of my favorites that I've had with you over the years are from outside of LotC. Honestly, the scenario server that I ran with our friend group after I took my break between Athera (4.0) and Axios (5.0) was probably among my fondest mineman memories. 

In terms of LotC, I have a lot of good memories RPing with you on here as well. However, there's one that stands out above all the rest...

I remember at the very end of Arcas (7.0, the last map), Chirr and Eliza decided to run around the server on an anarchy spree. The map was set to be shut down forever about 3 hours later, so we had decided to go ham IRP while everyone else had fled. We egged Kalenz Uradir's portrait in Haelun'or, broke into manors and houses, and did all sorts of other purge tier things.

But at the very end of that spree, we had decided OOCly to make our way over to Nenzing and watch the sunset as the last 15 minutes of the map came about. I recall Konrad and Isabel often watching the sunset from Nenzing as they talked as father and daughter, so it was highly nostalgic to see Chirr and Eliza, who had a mother and daughter dynamic themselves, do the same thing.

The RP scene represented a lot to me. It was very iconic for two old Anthosians to watch the sunset together on yet another map, and to me it symbolized our special and enduring friendship over the years as we saw Arcas come to an end.

2.) Honestly? Someday, I would like to find the time and the passion to play a dwarf. I've never played a member of the dwarvish race or culture, so it'd be a refreshing thing to do whenever all of my other many characters slow down a bit. I feel like I'd enjoy participating in and contributing to the "creation" culture of tinkerers, smiths, and craftsmen.

As for a character I simply cannot bring myself to play... That's a hard one. But I think the answer would be that I just can't play an evil, cruel, or heartless leadership figure that requires irreparably ruining innocent people IRP for my character's own gain.

The reasoning behind such is this. I absolutely could do the RP behind it in a smaller or more private setting, but I could never do it on LotC due to how OOCly most IRP actions are taken. Every leadership character I have ever played has been a benevolent figure. This is because I like mentoring people and building them up. That's a key part of my leadership style.

Like even if I did it as a character meant to be a criminal, they'd have to have some sort of honor code if they were to ever be at the top of anything so I'd have an excuse to continue building others up and not just chaotically destroy people.

So yeah. I've played strong leaders before, but always benevolent ones. I just couldn't RP a character that would require me to act purely tyrannical in an OOC sense and live with myself.

ur a cool dude & so it's wild that i can't think of a single time that i've noticed you until now, i'm guessing we're involved in entirely different playerbases but usually staring at tab every now and then at least has me going "yo ive seen that dude somewhere" when i spot em on forums

i got two questions big dog

favourite song(s) rn

if you were going to write a lore piece of any sort, what would it be? (vague idea, world/magic/alchemy lore, etc)