And so there he stood

garentoft

Spoiler

A fledgling Lady Colborn stood aside, dreary and saddened as the rain drenched her blood-soaked clothes, once more dirtied from another day of work in the clinic. Thoughtfully, she pondered on her childhood, on the interactions she had with the Princess in her youth - how troubled they both were, how they were one and the same. Motherless, troubled youth.

"Could I have made her stay? Could I have convinced her otherwise?"

And so there she stood, laden with regret, for what could have been.

A woman gazed at her distant relative. She watched her nephew embrace King Georg, sharing a knowing feeling of the burden of the crown. Though Katerina herself had never carried, she had seen many Kings succumb to its weight. The loneliness that often came with it. Sometimes even turning men mad. It did her brother after all, and it drove her father into an early grave. 

All she could do was plant a kiss upon Georg's forehead, hoping it might give him some peace.

"Soon, my dear Georgie, vy shall niet be alone. But niet yet, the living still needs vy."

Klara Elizaveta watched. Tormented had been her father, tormented had been her brother, and now, she witnessed a third King tormented. Often had she prayed for their peace, for their happiness, but alas. Heartbreak wore the Crown as well as the Kings themselves did. Standing behind her father as he embraced the grandson he never got to meet, Klara hummed softly beneath her breath in the absence of a harp to play.

Josefina Barclay had sat to write a letter. A letter that would never be sent. Do you know, Esfir? Do you know how much sorrow you left behind? How much your presence could have consoled them? Do you know?

The defeated Colborn stared over the balcony of the palace. A few hours have passed since he and Ser Vanhart ended their brief talk. He stared out over the square where he could see the bustling people of Haense calling out for the traitor and urging to hunt her down. His monotone expression lacked any emotion as his chin raised, slowly looking up towards the bright blue sky.

His hands laid flat on the half wall in front of him, and the gentle breeze of the north pushed the blonde curls to the side of his face, opening up his eyes to the chilling air. He did not blink, because his eyes began welling up and he knew if he blinked he would not be able to stop himself. He wished his childhood friend would just listen to him. Had she listened, he would not be standing outside in the open air fighting to hold back his costly emotions. 

But she did not listen - and so he blamed himself for not convincing her harder. The cold wind should have dried out his eyes, but as they watered up it only caused discomfort. His hands that were once laid out flat began to ball up into tight fists. His lower lip quivered for a moment - so he bit down to stop it. He tried to hold back, and he tried to save face.

And then he blinked. And then he cried.

"Non, Oncle... I could never leave Haense. Not even to be Governess." Laetitia remarked upon a visit to Balian; whereupon her uncle, upon other things, suggested she should transfer her work to the Monterosa Court. Her mind raced as she spoke, as she desperately thought up an explanation that did not make herself sound like a lovesick fool -- She had given up on that, after all! -- "Haense is where I went after everything fell down around me in Petra; it's where I rebuilt my life. I know it must sound silly to you... but it holds a special place in my heart because of that." She answered earnestly, her gaze shifting to the tree that had been named after her mere moments prior. What she did not say, though she thought it, was "Georg is the only friend of mine from that period of my life who did not leave or betray me... how could I ever hurt him like that? Especially when he probably needs me most?"

She bid her uncle adieu after that, thanking him a.. third? fourth? time for his help regarding a personal matter.
 "I have to return home, I haven't done my taxes yet." Was offered as the excuse for her abrupt departure -- the fact of the matter being that such was true was irrelevant, as Laetitia suspected that if there was any time she was needed most in Karosgrad, it was then; and by the side of her oldest friend.

Spoiler

paraphrasing from the actual conversation but yeah

A king and a baroness stood overlooking the skyline of Karosgrad, the roaring city below them. Alyona Godunov was no stranger to Georg's company these past few years, yet no matter how hard she tried in the moment, she could not bring herself to speak on what happened. Instead, she stayed by his side where her company (she hoped) could be needed the most; a smile, genuine despite its sheepishness. 

A man who raised her, a liege she swore fealty to, a mentor she aspired to be - oh, it ached her heart to see him this way. It ached her heart to see everyone affected by the mess of the Adrian plague, the way it plighted the brains of those who sought it out in mere curiousity. There was no loyalty to be seen nowadays, and it angered- no, it enraged Alyona to the core. There was no understanding to her, the treason one to could commit. It was one thing to go against the Crown... yet her own father? Her brothers? They had given Mariya everything, yet it would of never be enough. There was a whole encore who had supported the Barrow; even Alyona herself had declared it so the last time they had spoken. There was no reason to Alyona why or what brought her to this now.

A king and a baroness stood overlooking the skyline of Karosgrad, the roaring city below them. Too many memories, they both had said about the square, and many more were to come in the following moments. So many thoughts running through her mind, and one thing was for certain: the Godunov would stay by King Georg's side, now until the end. Only then would she see loyalty.