[✗] [Lore Amendment] Eidola Vessels

UnBaed

Intent with Amendment:

The purpose behind writing this is to fix what I believe has been a glaring issue with the Eidola CA; it is too easy and inconsequential to make, and the room for character development as one seems incredibly limited–and currently encourages for too much “murder hobo” RP, and the only real progress or development one can really achieve is only getting more powerful mechanically.

This amendment will seek to alter the creation process of an Eidola, while also offering changes for the mindsets and purpose of an Eidola’s existence for a story’s narrative.  This isn’t intended to disrupt any currently existing character niches, but to only open up more opportunities for Eidola characters to explore with if they wished.

Creation Process:

In order for a soul to become imbued with stone and be made into an Eidola, a Vessel is required for the ritual to commence; which shall serve as a container for the soul.  The Vessel, otherwise known as the stone body, is carefully carved out by the hands of two mystics and treated with their ectoplasm; it is considered a sacred and delicate process–requiring years of dedication in order to form a suit for one soul.  [2 OOC Weeks]  The art of sculpting and stone carving becomes a valued practice among Mystics.

Once a stone body has been created, it must be submerged within water with a menhir made by the same two mystics nearby.  The two mystics must work together then; one imbues their ectoplasm into the Vessel while the other transfers a soul into it.  A soul is only suitable to be transferred into a Vessel should it be a long-standing Anchored Ghost–with its phylactery on hand.

The spirit may be guided into the Vessel, where it will undergo a stasis period of slumber [until its CA application is accepted].   Its phylactery is merged with the menhir by imbuing it with ectoplasm and binding it to the ethereal stone; once such a rite is finished, the item that once served as the phylactery looks as if its been fossilized into the menhir.

• Requires OOC and IRP consent of the Anchored Ghost.
  • A Mystic may make one Eidola at a time, two Mystics are required for the creation of one Eidola.
  • Anchored Ghosts must exist for 6 OOC weeks before they can be made into an Eidola
  • While a Vessel is being created, it must be represented in game with a build and ST Approved sign.
  • Once the ST Approved sign is placed, an Eidola CA may be posted on the forums exactly 2 OOC weeks later.
  • The Eidola CA must include a screenshot of the approved build and sign.
  • The two Mystics involved in the creation must comment with proof of at least five emotes showing their characters actively worked on the Vessel; both carving the stone and imbuing it with their ectoplasm.
  • Should a Vessel be destroyed in the creation process, the two Mystics would need to start over.
  • A Vessel in progress has the same durability as any stone statue, requiring approximately three emotes of heavy blunt force to crack it.
  • Cannot create an Eidola while in combat.

Should an Eidola perish following its creation–it may reform after one OOC day [given its phylactery is unharmed], though only as a spirit.  Vessels are not infinite, and must be remade when destroyed, in order to house the soul again.  Spares may be created by the hand of the Eidola, through the carving of stone and submerging of waters.  It is a one year process (1 OOC Week) and is concluded when an Eidola imbues the spare Vessel with 3 liturgies of their ectoplasm.  An ethereal link is formed between the spare Vessel and the phylactery-menhir through the imbuing of essence.  Unused Vessels must remain within five meters of their bound menhir, lest the link be disrupted and 3 more liturgies would be required to establish it again.  A phylactery-menhir can only withstand so many Vessels being bound to it, limiting it to just two.

• Spare Vessels must be represented with a ST sign and an in-game build.
    • Spare Vessels must be either damp with trickling water, or submerged entirely, while stored near the menhir [5 blocks].
  • An active Vessel counts as a link to a menhir, meaning only one spare can exist at a time.
  • If an Eidola dies and is without a spare Vessel, they are returned to the state of an Anchored Ghost with their menhir still serving as their phylactery. 1 OOC day to reform upon death.
  • If an Eidola dies and has a spare Vessel available, the soul may return to it.  1 OOC day to reform upon death.
  • If the Eidola stands before their Menhir while inhabiting a Vessel, it may be able to alter its shape and appearance in three emotes–while following guidelines and redlines of Eidola limitations and aesthetics.
  • Augments are lost on an Eidola, should its Vessel be destroyed–and must be applied again.

New Mental Effects:

While as an Eidola, the soul has weathered through a burdensome journey of trauma and alteration; they are greatly changed and bear many scars upon their mind.  They may suffer through bouts of extreme depression, struggle to maintain optimism, be gripped with anxiety, paranoia.  Generally, they shall have a dreary and gloomy disposition but are not prone to complete despair.  The strongest and most prevalent emotion an Eidola shall be gripped with, more than anything else, is fear.

The fear an Eidola has is the fear of stagnancy, of lacking any purpose and having their transformative and grueling journeys be all for nothing.  It is a desperate feeling and a concept that grips their reality, and shall affect their paths moving forward.

Comfort can be found anywhere an Eidola may find themselves of use in; be it through an ideology or religion, or other forms of servitude.  They may first look to their creators for guidance, but will branch out and roam if they are given no direction; no matter where they go, however, an Eidola shall always be impressionable by those who formed them and feel inclined to be around other undead.

The inclination to be around undead, primarily spectral undead, is quite strong for an Eidola.  While they may feel alienated from the living, there is still an echo of themselves seen within the lingering spirits of undeath.  The second most strongest urge an Eidola shall feel is the desire to guard and shield fellow spirits, utilizing their imposing and durable bodies of stone for such things.

Should an Eidola be destroyed and go without a Vessel, they may suffer from increased paranoia and feel as if they are vulnerable and spiraling without the container of stone to keep them grounded.  Mental ailments are to increase in this period, until a new Vessel may be provided.

• Current redlines in lore still apply.

Reversion Rite:

As anything that is created, it can be undone.  Whether an Eidola has served its purpose, has made the wrong enemies, or simply requests such an act. . . Their former phylacteries may be extracted from their menhirs and their binds to their Vessels of stone can be undone.

Two Mystics are required for the feat, and are not required to be the ones to initially form that specific Eidola.  The Rite of Scrubbing is to be conducted for four consecutive emotes to weaken the phylactery-menhir, and permit for the Mystics to chip the old phylactery item of the Anchored Ghost out from the stone.

Once this is concluded, the Eidola will be reverted to an Anchored Ghost and no longer be able to bind themselves to a Vessel.  The soul of the Eidola has endured much at this rate, and has grown to be more fragile–capable of transforming into an Eidola one last time before this process of uncreation would permanently kill them.

• Two Mystics are required in reverting an Eidola back to an Anchored Ghost.
  • Should an Eidola be reverted, their CA is to be denied and they must have an accepted Ghost CA in place for the character.
  • Does not require OOC consent.
  • If reverted, an Anchored Ghost may transform into an Eidola only one more time before the reversion process would shatter their phylactery and permanently kill them.

Comment of Palelords:

They are to be left as is, save for the mental changes being applied.  The concept of Vessels and reversion are beyond Palelords for the extreme efforts and sacrifices paid to get them where they are now.  Personally, I'd prefer to see them shelved given how massive they are.

Edit Log:

Edit 6/28/23 - I've changed it so that Eidola can make their own spare Vessels, without the need to get a Mystic to aid them.  A point was made that an Eidola would already need to get into contact with a Mystic in order to get new augments for their new body, so RP is already encouraged there.  This is just to make it less tedious.

Im quite a fan of the Mental Effects and the Reversion Rite as an Eidola player. They both would be welcomed additions - Im still a little on the fence with the Vessel parts however

34 minutes ago, UnBaed said:

Comment of Palelords:

They are to be left as is, save for the mental changes being applied.  The concept of Vessels and reversion are beyond Palelords for the extreme efforts and sacrifices paid to get them where they are now.  Personally, I'd prefer to see them shelved given how massive they are.

For my time playing a ghost, no interaction of murder at a big st signed stone was enjoyable, neither is the meta of olog strength, shelf would be good to prevent mindless murder goal.

I like most of these changes, especially the mental ones, though I will admit I really really dislike the idea of requiring someone else to have their body remade. Although it might seem to make sense, it's absolutely going to suck to have to deal with waiting on someone else, and such for the mystic to have to commit continually to recreating bodies. I'd propose the Eidola themselves have to commit to making future bodies before their demise, akin to the Animii CA, and maybe a Soul fragment cost for this would be suitable to finalize the body as suitable to be housed in in future. I feel like there's not enough good uses for Soul frags at the moment and I'd love to see some more use for it.

On the topic of Palelords, I think they're rare enough, have suitable enough risks, and are hard enough to create that they're fine for now, though maybe down the line if there's too many active or they're being blatantly abused, I can definitely see something being required to adjust this.

Overall thank you for your efforts!

15 hours ago, MeteorDragon said:

Im quite a fan of the Mental Effects and the Reversion Rite as an Eidola player. They both would be welcomed additions - Im still a little on the fence with the Vessel parts however

11 hours ago, z3m0s said:

I like most of these changes, especially the mental ones, though I will admit I really really dislike the idea of requiring someone else to have their body remade. Although it might seem to make sense, it's absolutely going to suck to have to deal with waiting on someone else, and such for the mystic to have to commit continually to recreating bodies. I'd propose the Eidola themselves have to commit to making future bodies before their demise, akin to the Animii CA, and maybe a Soul fragment cost for this would be suitable to finalize the body as suitable to be housed in in future. I feel like there's not enough good uses for Soul frags at the moment and I'd love to see some more use for it.

On the topic of Palelords, I think they're rare enough, have suitable enough risks, and are hard enough to create that they're fine for now, though maybe down the line if there's too many active or they're being blatantly abused, I can definitely see something being required to adjust this.

Overall thank you for your efforts!

I could potentially make it so that an Eidola could make their own Vessel, though part of why I wrote it so that a Mystic is required is to encourage more interaction between Eidola and Mystics.  Eidola should have more of a reason to want to stick around to their creators/community instead of just disappearing off on their own entirely.

The limit in having spare bodies is also intended as a means of discouraging wreckless CRP behavior.  In the past, Eidola have really only existed as a means of being a weapon and tool for soul-collecting, or standing in as powerful weapons for conflict.  Get killed?  No biggie, I can just respawn at my menhir hidden behind 5 locked doors and a hidden redstone one and try again.

Not pointing any fingers with that scenario, of course, but there definitely should be some more punishment for dying.  If an Eidola could make their bodies then... what RP interaction comes from it, if they can just RP making one by themselves?  I'd prefer to not have soul fragments be required, since that also encourages more murder-hobo antics (I know that new augment is made, but I severely despise lore requiring players to harm another for any mechanical gain--it's like a homework assignment, gets tedious and RP is just motivated to get the shiny lore thing and dip without developing much of a narrative)

Depending on whether or not this piece is accepted and implemented, I was considering coming up with more augments for paleknights to give them room to develop their own aesthetics or have unique flavor added to their RP--soul fragments could be considered more for these.  But this would be at the bottom of my list for things to do right now

3 hours ago, UnBaed said:

-snip-

Personally, I think it's fine having it so an Eidola can create their own vessels. Personally, I struggle to get in contact with one Mystic at a time, much less two at once. Plus, with the week long timer of having a vessel be made, it would be a bit annoying to be killed and then have to wait maybe a week to get two mystics together to make a new vessel, then wait another week to be able to inhabit it. I feel the main interaction is being made and getting Augments from the Mystics to make things easier. This would especially be the case since the augments would wipe upon getting a new vessel, you'd have to find someone to re-give them to you

The gathering of soul fragments is rather annoying, I agree, which is why I think it's also easier to work with mystics in order to get those fragments rather than gathering all 30 on your own. Not to mention that you also need Mystic interactions if you want to become a Pale Lord. I am against the killing aspect of it all and wish it was easier to do it without killing than with killing

20 hours ago, MeteorDragon said:

Personally, I think it's fine having it so an Eidola can create their own vessels. Personally, I struggle to get in contact with one Mystic at a time, much less two at once. Plus, with the week long timer of having a vessel be made, it would be a bit annoying to be killed and then have to wait maybe a week to get two mystics together to make a new vessel, then wait another week to be able to inhabit it. I feel the main interaction is being made and getting Augments from the Mystics to make things easier. This would especially be the case since the augments would wipe upon getting a new vessel, you'd have to find someone to re-give them to you

The gathering of soul fragments is rather annoying, I agree, which is why I think it's also easier to work with mystics in order to get those fragments rather than gathering all 30 on your own. Not to mention that you also need Mystic interactions if you want to become a Pale Lord. I am against the killing aspect of it all and wish it was easier to do it without killing than with killing

I edited it so that Eidola can make their spares!  And just to clarify, to make a spare vessel takes only one week to do!  I appreciate the feedback from you <3

On 6/28/2023 at 3:04 AM, UnBaed said:

I could potentially make it so that an Eidola could make their own Vessel, though part of why I wrote it so that a Mystic is required is to encourage more interaction between Eidola and Mystics.  Eidola should have more of a reason to want to stick around to their creators/community instead of just disappearing off on their own entirely.

The limit in having spare bodies is also intended as a means of discouraging wreckless CRP behavior.  In the past, Eidola have really only existed as a means of being a weapon and tool for soul-collecting, or standing in as powerful weapons for conflict.  Get killed?  No biggie, I can just respawn at my menhir hidden behind 5 locked doors and a hidden redstone one and try again.

Not pointing any fingers with that scenario, of course, but there definitely should be some more punishment for dying.  If an Eidola could make their bodies then... what RP interaction comes from it, if they can just RP making one by themselves?  I'd prefer to not have soul fragments be required, since that also encourages more murder-hobo antics (I know that new augment is made, but I severely despise lore requiring players to harm another for any mechanical gain--it's like a homework assignment, gets tedious and RP is just motivated to get the shiny lore thing and dip without developing much of a narrative)

Depending on whether or not this piece is accepted and implemented, I was considering coming up with more augments for paleknights to give them room to develop their own aesthetics or have unique flavor added to their RP--soul fragments could be considered more for these.  But this would be at the bottom of my list for things to do right now

You make a lot of good points here, I suppose I'm just cynical based upon past experiences as to the slog it can be to match up timezones and get people around specifically to do something for someone else solely, and I've seen this used as a trade tactic for people to get things they want. Regardless I'm willing to support it and give it a try in hopes it works out better, with the caveat that you'd be willing to alter it again later down the line if reality shows it's not working out!

Maybe the Eidola could sculpt the body from Menhir and then the Mystic could perform a ritual to bind it, requiring both of them. This way they both play a part. I quite like the idea of Eidola being stonemasons in a sort, and I think it makes sense for them to do the labor, but I also understand it not carrying the same weight if it was entirely up to the Eidola to make.

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.