An unformatted rant on PVP

DeusVult

2 hours ago, Benleft said:

Thank you. That is an insightful and helpful article. I will amend my thoughts in time. 

And I apologize for such a harsh tone I took. It wasn't warranted. You hit upon something I'm extremely passionate about in gaming, and I saw the need for RIGHTEOUS FURY. Which, to be fair, shouldn't have been leveled on you, but on the culture in gaming that has bred a lot of RPers to think the same way you did. I really hope you take that article to heart; it and another article on "Playing to Lift" have dramatically affected the way I game. And, I'd like to think, for the better.

Here's a Primer on Playing to Lift: https://nordiclarp.org/2018/02/21/play-lift-not-just-lose/

And here's the other article that I said changed the way I play: https://thespacebetweenstories.com/2019/01/10/how-to-playing-to-lift-makes-you-one-of-the-cool-kids/

16 hours ago, DeusVult said:

Hire, or recruit, coders to support a pvp plugin with magic.

Here's my quote: $1500 base

5 hours ago, Somersetting said:

I don't think a magic plugin is a good move, just fight with a sword and bow and rp it as being magic afterwards.

It doesn't make sense that anyone would come to a RP server, sink 3-5 months in a MA/CA, and then just toss it to the side the moment someone does /countdown. I think if two sides want to PvP (Raids and Warclaims are the primary two examples) by all means - in the same vein, people who want to CRP should be able to CRP without someone do the most basic of emotes to then go into looc and ask for PvP. 

It also feels strange to tell anyone who isn't 100% mundane/non-magical their character's contribution is only showing on the post-fight gloat post, if one is even made - or anyone, really, that because of X mechanical thing something they've RPly worked to on their character is meaningless. What's the point of exploring the lore of the server if it can be made irrelevant by a form of combat that most people dont seek out?

I like pvp because it lets me and my mates get some epic clicks in and have a laugh on the one hand, but yet I do not like pvp sometimes  because there's hardly any humor in it and people treat it like everything is on the line when it happens.

Often since my arrival to LoTC have I seen groups take to OOC after a loss and claim "they had nothing to do with that", throwing their allies under the bus, screaming at some poor noob that just wanted to have fun, or bickering and screaming overtop of eachother. It just gives me a headache to sit and listen to a VC like that when I'm just trying to have a good time. It's a total slog and creates a toxic environment that is roleplay in name only.

Which is mostly why I've stepped away slightly from improving my pvp skills. I find more joy in little bandit encounters and small interactions with players on the regular rather than be belittled by teenagers in a VC that pin their reputation on their ability to click on a model in a children's game.

I think overall PvP is a tool, not a solution in and of itself. It works when people want it to. If the people who want PvP strived to make it more fun for the people participating in it, perhaps then more people wouldnt be scared off by it.

Tl;dr, I'm a roleplayer at heart, not a PvPer but PvP can be fun if you're doing it with your friends and people who can have fun with it.

21 hours ago, DeusVult said:

Hire, or recruit, coders to support a pvp plugin with magic. Nobody doesn't want this.

Honestly if i wanted magical clicks in nothing stops me from going on Wynncraft or Potterworld and do just that, also people like Aeso stictly talked about at some points that a magic plugin wouldnt work, and not code it. so less you got the money fam good luck.

Also, With the current push as to where its going with the mission statement, its hard to validate too much of the point. Things are pushing for more RP and narritives. As joking as it is, whilst pvp is straight forward theres about a thousand other servers that caters to that. Pvp has its uses when its convient but the ways overall reading on this with a bad take on a role playing server.

die combat, make a plugin for it in a couple weeks, based off Dark Heresy ruleset for improved handling of damage measurements 

fights take like 10 minutes max, ive seen it be done 

pvp is ontologically evil and anti roleplay

these arguments have been going on long enough to be in 5th grade, which is funny because they are written at around that level

On 8/8/2023 at 8:35 AM, creamynoteblock said:

i dont want that

what about a wonk magic plugin?

ff14-frog.gif

I remember the swap from CRP default to PVP that greatly increased the QoL of dealing with bandits/spooks as a guard back in 2013. I have found that CRP in bad faith is more often then not more frustrating then PVP in bad faith. While PVP has had egregious "metas" where you see stalling or item disparity (nexus) that push that beyond the norm these have typically been fostered by systems set in place by staff without corrections made fast enough. Meanwhile CRP in bad faith is always incredibly prolonged instances of OOC arguing and powergaming (be it intentional or unintention).

Atleast when I am pulled into a PvP situation such as being robbed (be it in good faith or bad faith) it is 90% of the time a short affair that allows for a great amount of flexibility in how I incorporate that outcome into roleplay afterwards. The only time I've seen CRP proceed swiftly with minimal arguing is with two individuals who are acting in incredibly good faith or when rolls are used to determine outcome. 

Either way these arguments have been going on forever and both sides tend to view themselves as a majority of the community.

Edit: Magic bloat has also contributed to a degradation in CRP quality. Atm there are 70+ accepted magic/submagics/creatureapps that each contain abilities/redlines which I can guarantee even the oldest of lore brains don't have comprehensive understanding of the capabilities of more then 50% at a given time. This makes near every encounter with combat magic roleplay involve some sort of confusion or argument that I have seen in the last 2 years.

Edited by Aengoth

On 8/8/2023 at 8:04 PM, Burnsider said:

And I apologize for such a harsh tone I took. It wasn't warranted. You hit upon something I'm extremely passionate about in gaming, and I saw the need for RIGHTEOUS FURY. Which, to be fair, shouldn't have been leveled on you, but on the culture in gaming that has bred a lot of RPers to think the same way you did. I really hope you take that article to heart; it and another article on "Playing to Lift" have dramatically affected the way I game. And, I'd like to think, for the better.

Here's a Primer on Playing to Lift: https://nordiclarp.org/2018/02/21/play-lift-not-just-lose/

And here's the other article that I said changed the way I play: https://thespacebetweenstories.com/2019/01/10/how-to-playing-to-lift-makes-you-one-of-the-cool-kids/

These are great recs burn. Thank you. =)