LORENA'S LAMENT | THREE ACTS

zuziee

THE VALIANT ADVENTURES OF SER ARTHUR:

XLkAs2kcKCE5y9vGm5paGc-iseOzcR0pR5AQoAbz5BbKk4NoyIJwzVS8YeBn9mew0pxh56zfy50oTe54SziUeQnBsJq-fpfKAQRvPCGIBlekXlbzjHZEsLaiTgeqeruF_1Zu1EK7pP-8SYhCc5IiEI4

m1gl2reIghyw_4BTO2lW7P3CU3zayCqANPpVfnNoI9UPeyT58Tdp_UfctgrfMuiZpGh1_K-HYd9dPgpn_SC2aoCPlBnPhkwBr0IML8QLjOFwSRq7nULb5AwE_Ukj0lDNV1CWK63WW2PYGOD2t8c-Jt4

Written by

LUDVIKA SOFYA LUDOVAR

On this 12th day of Joma ag Umund of 499 E.S.

PREFACE & PLOT

The first of three, and saddest, of a planned trilogy of valiant and heroic adventures of the knights of Haense showcasing that while blood is thick, loyalty to one's kingdom and honor always supersede. Written to honor the grief of Ser Arthur as he bravely protected his King and kingdom against his kin who threw away the crow's oath to follow a false Duke.

Krusae zwy Kongzem.

SETTING

Somewhere between the 1910s to 1920s in Almaris during the Adrian Rebellion. Each act is set in a different location, beginning with Act 1 in the fields of Minitz, then traveling north through the fields of Acre, and finally to the Royal City of Karosgrad. In Act Two, we are in the barracks prisons, and in Act Three we are in the city square where a guillotine has been set up for the execution. 

CHARACTERS

LORENA: A dishonorable noblewoman of low standing who rebelled against her home state to stand with the Duke of Adria. Cladded in Adrian red. 

SER ARTHUR: A Noble Marian knight and brother to Lorena. Captures, imprisons, and buries his sister. 

SER VANHART: A ginger-headed Marian knight obsessed with honor and protecting his kingdom. 

AMELTH/GUARD/VILLAGER: First a Ludovar warrior. Then a prison guard. Then an onlooker to the execution. 

JAKOB/GUARD/VILLAGER: First a Ludovar warrior. Then a prison guard. Then an onlooker to the execution.

LITTLE BOY/VILLAGER: First the son of a rich Margravine who gets lost. Then an onlooker to the execution. 

MARGRAVINE/VILLAGER: First a rich Margravine who loses her son. Then an onlooker to the execution.

ACT 1 | The Seizure

Spoiler

The ear-piercing cry of a child echoes from stage left. Thereafter enters Lorena followed by a little boy. The little boy is sobbing as she tugs him to center stage. 

LITTLE BOY: Where is my mom? Mom! Mom! I miss her.

LORENA: Hush now child, we are almost at Minitz, I am sure the Margravine is worried sick.

Lorena turns to the boy, crouching down to fix his vest. Behind her, the sound of horses galloping fills the stage as Vanhart, Arthur, Jakob, and Amelth ride on stage right. Lorena and the little boy back off center stage. 

LORENA: (Grips at her sword) Who goes there?

JAKOB: Halt!

VANHART: The little rogue herself, aye Ser Arthur?

ARTHUR: (Nods his head, agreeing) It is funny, is it not sister? To find you here, amongst our enemies? 

LORENA: (Places a hand over the little boy’s body, her other hand still on the hilt of her sword) You know why I am here brother, for you and your society choose hate! And you want me to adopt the same path as you, well I am not so feebleminded. 

From stage left enters the Margravine, covered in jewels.

LITTLE BOY: (Trembling as he turns to see the Margravine and runs from Lorena) Mom! Mom! 

MARGRAVINE: (Picks up the little boy) Oh my darling, you are safe! What is it the Hanseni want in Minitz lands?

VANHART: Your Grace, this woman is a traitor to our King and we have come to arrest her so she may be punished for her sins. 

Jakob, Amelth, and Arthur get down from their steeds and pull out their weapons. They point them toward Lorena. Vanhart sits haughtily atop his horse. 

LORENA: A traitor? What have I done against my King other than embrace differing beliefs?

MARGRAVINE: (Waves a hand dismissively) Have at her what you will, Hanseni law is not my trade.

Margravine and the Little Boy exit stage left. Amelth and Arthur advance closer with their weapons.

LORENA: (Releases her grip on her weapon, a sigh of defeat escaping her lips)

AMELTH: (Raises his sword high above his head, bearing his weight with his back foot as he swings down towards Lorena, who is weaponless)

ARTHUR: (Positioned between Lorena and Amelth and uses his sword to swing up at Amelth’s. Their blades met with a clash) Brother in arms! She has laid her weapon to rest, we have no need to cause harm at present.

AMELTH: (Grunts, pulling his sword back) Jakob, get the rope. Arthur, you will strip her of weapons and tie her up. Then we will transport her home. (Returns, head hung, to his horse)

JAKOB: (Turns to his steed, taking out a long string of rope. Before he throws it at Arthur, he winds his arms up, giving a wink and smirk to the crowd)

ARTHUR: (Catches the rope in one hand and turns to Lorena) My kin, I serve my King with honor and I am grieved that you view it as prejudice, but loyalty to the Crown is a belief sewn into our blood. (Sheaths his sword and then grabs Lorena's forearms to begin to tie her up)

LORENA: (Unmoving and stiff. Her arms are bound followed by her legs) I carry no animosities against you my brother, you shall view the world as I do eventually and understand how partisan your actions truly ring. (Spits at him)

ARTHUR: (Takes the sword off Lorena’s belt as the glob of spit hits his chest, he grunts and then lifts her from the ground. He then takes her across the stage to the four horses and puts her on the back of Vanhart’s horse before getting on his own)

VANHART: Let us be off men, the night is near and the King is expecting us.

All five of them ride off stage right.

Jakob and Amelth enter stage left. They ride across the stage, galloping on their steeds. Next Vanhart and Arthur with Lorena on the back of Vanhart’s horse enter from stage left. Lorena is struggling and when they near center stage, Lorena falls from Vanhart’s steed onto the ground. Both men stop at the sound of Lorena’s cry.

LORENA: (screams in pain, her body upon the ground and her arms holding her rib cage)

VANHART: (Glances back towards Lorena, an angry expression upon his face) Tsk, I say to make her walk the rest of the journey.

ARTHUR: (Glares at Vanhart, getting off his steed and putting a foot on the prisoner's back) I will transport her back, for my King.

VANHART: (nods, slamming his reigns against his horse's neck which neighs and he rides off after Jakob and Amelth)

LORENA: (Continues to struggle)

ARTHUR: (Easily lifts his sister from the waist) You are a deserter Lorena, perchance the King will see you limp in agony and take pity. (Swings his sister upon the back of his horse and then gets on it himself. He is gentle as he rides off after his companions)

They exit stage right, curtains close. 

_________

ACT 2 | The Prisons

Spoiler

The curtains open with half the stage separated by iron bars. Lorena is on one half, sitting on the ground. Two guards stood on the opposite side.

GUARD 1: Are you a spy for the miscreant Duke? Tell us! (Slams his fist against the bars)

LORENA: (Winces from inside her cell) I already declared I am not.

GUARD 2: Why would you defect from the Kingdom which has been good to you your entire life then? Huh?

Arthur enters the side of the stage with the two guards, bowing his head in respect.

GUARD 2: Just in time Arthur - you must search your sister for marks. It can be the only explanation for her defection to the Duchy. The Duke himself must be casting spells upon his populace. 

ARTHUR: Such nonsense, she is my sister and the blood of Gant. I have brought her medicine for her wounds. (Holds up the bottle)

GUARD 1: You may treat her wounds but only if you check for marks. 

Arthur nods in agreement and then Guard 2 goes to open the door to the cell. Guard 1 leaves the stage.

LORENA: Do not pity me with your noble honor.

ARTHUR: (Moves behind the sitting Lorena, looking down the back of her garment for Darkspawn marks) Sister, you are lucky the Hanseni people are honest and ethical. You will be tried and punished justly for whatever crimes you’ve committed.

LORENA: Don’t you see? I have committed none! 

ARTHUR: (Moves to the front of Lorena, taking both her wrists and pushing up the fabric on her arms, no marks are found) Take this medicine and find the strength that comes with honesty, my dear sister. 

LORENA: (Silently takes the bottle from her brother, raising it to her lips and taking a swig. They sit in silence for a moment) Arthur… 

ARTHUR: Yes?

LORENA: You must send a message to my liege. Tell him where I am… I cannot stand trial unless represented.

ARTHUR: (Confused look) Are you truly taking the side of yet another mad Duke of Adria?

LORENA:  I beg of you to write. 

ARTHUR: (Bows his head) Very well Lorena, I swear I will send a Raven to him. 

LORENA: Write to take me back with him and to stop this nonsense - this malice shall only continue to cause grief between fractioning parties. I swear on my life he will come to his senses once he realizes his people’s lives are at stake - not just his own. 

ARTHUR: (Exits the cell, Guard 1 closes the compartment behind him) I will write to him now. 

The curtain closes, and a raven is released from the side of the stage to fly over the crowd to simulate the promised completion.

_________

ACT 3 | The Execution

Spoiler

The curtains open to a guillotine center stage with Vanhart standing on the left side. Behind him are four village people who have angry expressions. Arthur walks in beside Lorena who is in chains. 

VANHART: The day has come! The people of Haense will have justice for the blood-soaked in battle - the crow will rise! Honor will supersede! GODAN almighty, krusae zwy kongzem!

VILLAGERS: AMEN! Amen! Krusae zwy Kongzem!!

Lorena is sobbing as she is brought to the guillotine by Arthur who stands beside his sister with a puffed-out chest.

VANHART: Hark, the renegade finally faces the blade's sharpness - a shame it was not my own.

LORENA: Please, I beg of thee to be merciful! I have heard and witnessed the preaching of justice and honesty - do not simply strike me down at a whim!

VANHART: This is no whim - you had your chance to duel on the battlefield and yet you cower and plead. 

LORENA: I saw your letter! I promise on the hand of GOD that I shall return once healed and battle. I am not well enough to do so.

VANHART: You missed your chance blood of Gant - and now the Kingdom must have solace for your despicable demeanor.

LORENA: (Sobs, turning her head to Arthur) Has he written back?

ARTHUR: No - your Duke is a dishonorable man and cares not for the fate of anyone but himself. A craven action by a desperate man. You will die a sacrifice to his cause - remembered not by his people.

Arthur forces Lorena’s head onto the guillotine block and puts a cloth over her head. Vanhart takes out his sword, raising it high above his head. The villagers scream and cry out in excitement.

VANHART: For honor, for the king, for GOD 

Silence overtakes the stage as Vanhart swings the weapon down towards Lorena’s head. It hits the side of the block, blood spews against the cloth and a paper mache head of Lorena rolls out onto the stage. The crowd cheers.

ARTHUR: (Signs the Hussariyan cross, a single tear trickling down his cheek) I will bury you where your real home rests, by the lavish waters of Voron - and perhaps your spirit will find ease my sister. For my kingdom - for my kin. 

The curtains close one last time with Arthur hugging onto the head of Lorena and Vanhart turning to the villagers.

Leonid opened the letter to reveal a PLAY was there from an old friend. He slapped his forehead, shocked "OH MY GODAN SHE BEAT ME TO IT!"

The Duke of Vidaus grew a firmly grim countenance as he read the name of the play first and then through it's contents. His knuckles grew taut with the parchment in hand, before he breathed a slow, deep sigh. Memories of his youth rushed to him, playing at lordliness, and arguments and fond moments shared with those special to him. He remembered how he shouted at her last, and his guilt at her tears, and a few brief words escaped his mouth beneath his breath.

"Vy were a fool, Lorena. A fool..."

His tone was gentle, but what is past is unchanging, and there was little to be done or said now. He set the papers down gently, and busied himself once more with plans of keeps and constructions and letters.

Adeline Johanna traced Vanharts name, her smile faded as she thought about the last time she saw her grandfather amidst the chaos of the Reinmar mori attack.