The Church and Adria

ZWD5ata_XZMAH5rYiI3TqhryJ_N-Yb1MP61z7fUzoOE_Vf9jXU46OO00xlYc3gzEkpFjnWC6kn2nftWwpJg2xCEvbQXYarLriv9q9Z0YMiZtiS4Dly1b1q3GPQXSt7GlhqOowgFlKHYRRNCKExomtlc

The Church and Adria

Clarifying the Church's stance on the Reconciliation of Adria

eS9KMO3tiKxAAn2wEzQT6XJzccdfgaT7vLATZik7NPcI9MwHfr0Phywy289zEFDFJtQL1dvOZRpWt0uO0uU1myECIGSrHhcPTmDN1i-t5CgSTeqew5Uz26DzFf_J33AwEMXPdtfrXNu4QOqpv572PjE

To the Canonist faithful, our brothers and sisters,

Last Saint's Day, Markus Sarkozic, the Duke of Adria, came to us asking for a meeting to discuss plans of his'. He told us he wished to assume leadership over the League of Veletz, disband it and restore the Duchy of Adria as a nation and from this new position of power he wished to push for reconciliation between the people of the Midlands and the Holy Mother Church. He asked if we would endorse his takeover, we told him such would be his own decision. His intentions to see to the demands we have previously sent to the League of Veletz however and his promise to bid Veletzian excommunicants to seek penance, this we could endorse. He wrote up an agreement of what would need to be done for the people of the Midlands to set into motion a process of reconciliation with the Church, which has since been shared to you all as the 'Reconciliation of Adria'. 

However, since it seems like this missive has caused some confusion as to what the Church's stance is on Adria and to what degree the Church shall involve itself in the ongoing war, we seek to clarify our intentions to you all in the form of this Pontifical letter. Let it be clear that the Reconciliation of Adria is purely an agreement to solve the issues that have plagued the relations between the people of the Midlands and the Church for years now. The aim of the agreement is for this relation to be normalized, primarily through seeing to the demands made in response to Veletzian soldiers attacking a monastery of nuns in Petra, as well as penance being enacted for the various people that were excommunicated. The agreement is strictly clerical, not secular, we put our signature at the bottom in approval of this policy-shift towards mending ties with the Church, not as a kind of taking sides in the ongoing secular conflict.

Speaking of said conflict, there is a line at the bottom of the missive that has sown a lot of confusion and which in hindsight we should have requested be taken out or rephrased, for it does not clearly reflect our intensions. When Duke Markus asked if this reconciliation with the Church would make us willing to push for the covenant to reach a peace agreement with Veletz - or Adria as it is now called - we said we did not wish to involve ourselves in the course of the conflict. We did say however that if Duke Markus would convince the Covenant to enter into negotiations, we would be willing to serve as a mediator between the two sides should such be desired of us. Wether or not peace negotiations happen though is not our prerogative, but that of the various national leaders involved. 

Our signature at the bottom of the Reconciliation of Adria was an endorsement of Duke Markus' mission to see to fulfilling the Church's demands in mending religious ties with the people of the Midlands, not any statement referring to the nature of the ongoing conflict. We ask that this distinction is not muddled and hope that any confusion might hereby be cleared up. We hope to see the people of the Midlands, Adrians as they now call themselves again, honour their promises and do as they say they will in the aforementioned missive. If there are to be negotiations we're available to mediate - but if peace remains out of sight, then such be the nature of the conflict, we do not advocate either way.

HIS HOLINESS, SIXTUS VI, High Pontiff of the Church of the Canon

nj2t27XnwYatkHnQt7_C-baHkdr_0VduYZifS-AEgLH7FjdEw4MxlLFlLCf2aSlrK49vwo0KwvXox77j91fbQN2SzYV-NCqjD8VbEdSzEYqvNhCDJu-5lhmoUj9gqVzKi1Li3nHHnw_33Ty0TbYOaY0

"Yet religious balance and the secular peace in this case hinge upon the same condition," said Father Jean in response to the papal missive. He had been preparing a response to the Adrian declaration, which was an effort now largely unnecessary. To his brother Tristan @Caranthir_, he clarified:

"Justice."

"This is a positive development for the Church and a good act by His Holiness," says Father Davide as he hears news of this while stopping at a small roadside inn. "He has made the position and interests of the Church firmly known and can act from there. If the people of the Midlands kneel before God and peace may be had, then let His Holiness be an architect of peace. If they refuse, then let him be the highest executive of cleansing the lands."

"Thank you, your Holiness for affirming your words." the young Vasyl Otto Sarkozic nodded, at it, with a smile! 

Father Petyr of Albarosa read over the pontifical notice laid flat on his table. Tremors in his hands, he'd eventually pick it up before stumbling over to put it in the fire that warmed him. He recalled the Battle of Two Churches. The wounds he sustained, both mental and physical as he barely escaped Adria's church with his life. The selfishness of an Adrian's cause is unable to help them look beyond the utilitarian good. Recompense. Closure. They would sooner let thousands more die than allow a sacrifice for the common good of Canondom. To this, Petyr was well aware. To this, Petyr was disappointed in the High Pontiff by providing clemency to a man who so idly stood by and supported the war effort of criminals only to usurp when his personal ambition could so easily be fulfilled. Or at least was the case in the eyes of the exhausted priest. Father Petyr, lamenting the failures of man, goes to rest his feeble body as night fell upon Aevos. Awaiting another day of misgivings.

"I suppose we shall see if the Midlanders are sincere, though I highly doubt it,"

John of Aaun mused after having given the matter some thought after the given clarification.

"They seem to have turned to God only in a last-ditch effort following defeat."

He reasoned further before setting the papal missive aside. 

"Though this suggested role of would-be mediator serves the Church better than its previous role of instigator."

Offa, recent convert to Canonism and a foreigner to Aevos, was disillusioned by the War. When he arrived in Aevos he expected to find mankind united and peaceful. The bitter reality had meant bitter disappointment. He had wanted someone to blame for all the violence and bloodshed. He thought of all the fine men who had died. He was halfway through giving vent to anger at the rulers of Men, when he remembered the misdeeds of his own youth that had driven him from his native land. Could a man without mercy expect himself to receive it? He realised that Man needed the same thing that he wanted for himself: "O God, I ask not Thee to weigh merits, but to grant pardon." And so he wanted for others what he desired for himself. 

He then gave way to begin doing penance for the excommunicants and the ferrymen in the monastery at Petra, chanting penitential Psalms day and night. If these men would not do penance and reconcile and bring peace, he would offer penance to God on their behalf. He wrote a brief note to the High Pontiff, having no idea if it would be read:

"Your Holyness,

FORASMUCHE as thu haste written thus, I woulde responde. If it please thee, I do penitence dailie on behalfe of poore sinners. I ask that thu wouldst, in Godes Name, be Mercyfulle as He is Mercyfulle. They saye thatte the Church be a Mother; lette it appear so. Lette my penance entreate on their behalfe. Lette their punishmente be lessened inasmuche as I take some of it uponne myselfe. I woulde aske as a sojourner to these landes that thu wouldst listen notte unto the voice of the bellicose and bloodthirstie, and remaine propitious onto themme thatte go astraye and seeke to returne to the folde. For I am myselfe weake and worthie of condemnacion and woulde not bringe it uponne myselfe by wishing it uponne others. 

Thy humble servante,

Offa."

Hali scoffed. “A foolish mercy. As I feared might happen. They shall simply hide the dark beings and Veletzian butchers and bide their time until the world forgets.”