[✓] [Lore][Druid Magic] Shapeshifting

cmack1028

This is a great idea! Well done!

EDIT: I'm a bit disappointed I won't be able to turn into a bird... You know... Bird Druid... But whatever, cats are cool too! :P

Just to clarify-the Aspects do not shun, Druids do.  But for the most part the idea of shape shifting would be about becoming in tune with one's feral instincts and natural side, so trying to become another race or person would not fall into that category.  Also, we have common sense.  It just wouldn't be allowed.

In this trial the Druid should do far more than just wear the pelt of the animal, we respect nature and therefore if we must kill we must honor this animal fully. 

I support this, if mob disguise could be integrated through a plugin that'd be wonderful.

What about underwater creatures, such as manatee's? Would druids be able to transform into them? (As in the ones who do not swim as fast as other fishes. ) I mean, I would argue that some of the races could swim as fast as an aquatic animal. Depending on their athletic capability. And the animal in question.

On the technicality a Manatee can swim about 3-5mph. While some human would swim around that much. Michael Phelps top speed in swimming is around 5.25-6.0mph. So I would say an Orc at least could match this.

Manatee_at_Sea_World_Orlando_Mar_10.JPG

+1 Amazing work! I've seen a few of these and this is by far the best!

EDIT: I Support Dis Ting!

They could easily escape imprisonment, sneak into places they aren't allowed

I'd hope we wouldn't have druids doing this.

I see a few balancing issues before this could truly be recommend to be approved.

With scaling I quite like the idea of balancing with it, but personally I would like to see a recommended list on the races and prefer'd creatures. Possibly faults with say one manags the ritual with a tiger but they suffer from aggressiveness, or become somewhat territorial when transformed. At first their unaffected  but over time they feel pulls of natural instincts tugging at their souls in a way to reform to what their spirit animal is.

​ Example:
​Rat - Become disinterested in others around them, find shiny objects distracting.
​Mouse - Timid and shy, may be distracted by intriguing smells, and finds fear of larger creatures.
Dog - Overly playful, tends to become overly protective and loyal.
Wolf - Is rather carious and paranoid, find bones distracting for some odd reason.
Tiger - Territorial, aggressive. Tend to become overly protective of loved ones.
​Leopard - Feels prideful and Vanity, sometimes loses interest in their original purpose or goal while shifted.

Cheetah - Challenging and aggressive, weakness to the chase.

Gy'waka - [Exception to the bird rule possibly since they are flightless] Power struck, prideful, and often longing feeling to hunt or be in the jungle. May turn on friends.

-Changes-
"The Druid can make the transformation permanent if he truly wishes to."
-This shouldn't be the case, druids could be regulated on how many times a day and how long they can be transformed.
If you allow for it to be permanent you'll merely have players joining just to become an animal for that only reason.
The reason I suggest times and limited would be, that if a Druid tries to spy on a place it's limited and stressful causing a bit more eventful experience rather then them sitting in one place for hours and hours just gathering information for someone else. Telling your body to change even with magic is difficult and straining on the body since it's not original to your soul and spirit.

Update Recommendations:
"This seems way too easily powergamed. What are the obvious disadvantages as a shapeshifter?"

Adding weight to this, like smaller creatures couldn't really life obvious heavy object like a ring of weighted keys, or able to lift open barred locks. As well as tails or small digits are not able to locks either, they would probably get jammed in the locking mechanisms regardless.

-This is not based of the Lore team choices, their just suggestions from myself to add to the lore.-

-This may also be updated at a later time.-

Okay, there was a big edit today! I'll start off by replying to each person.

@Arik: I agree. I have added as part of the second task that you MUST bury the animal honorably. How it is done is completely up to the Druid.

@Dave: I can't say manatees would be allowed. They can live underwater and stay under for extended periods of time which humanoids cannot do. (My apologies, I didn't make it clear that they can't live/breathe underwater.)

@Lago: Really? I looked over each type of magic and didn't see it?

@Evelyn: We gotta do what we gotta do. :P

@Shoi: THANK YOU! I have changed everything you said you think should be changed! If you don't mind me using the personality faults in quotes in the original post then I will keep it there.

Now, my edits:

(February 17, 2013)

• Made it clear that flightless birds are allowed.
  • Added on to the Task of Strength, the Druid must honorably bury the animal after it has been skinned.
  • Added a 'Natural Instinct' area where it explains that some Druids' personalities may suffer from shapeshifting.
  • Made it clear that wearing armor or clothing while shifting back will almost certainly kill you.
  • Removed the ability to make the transformation permanent and instead added that the transformation will occur for about an hour each time for a novice shifter while a master one may stay shifted for up to a day. The master shifter would experience a terrible amount of fatigue as a result, though.
  • Made it clear that tiny animals, such as mice would greatly struggle to lift or drag anything, such as a ring of keys.
  • Shoi and Arik have been added to the 'Other Contributors' list.

To be honest I'm against the idea with any 'shifting magic' that a transformation becomes easy once it is formed. An illusionist still has to keep his mind on an illusionary disguise and it is to a degree balanced by this. Otherwise an illusionist can become anyone at any time and look like them all day and all night. I feel the same should apply for this, to maintain an animal form should be difficult. If sufficiently distracted the form will be lost.

Otherwise you end up with druidic mice-men playing 'adventure everywhere' without drawbacks.

If you allow for it to be permanent you'll merely have players joining just to become an animal for that only reason.

We regulate members quite well.  If ANYBODY who joins is looking for magic, they don't become a Druid.  Even before the MAT we have done this.

I don't personally see any issue with a permanent change if the Druid wishes-a Druid may wish to go live in the wild and become a true part of nature, and that's alright within the Druids.  Anyways, so far this is looking tantalizing.

To be honest I'm against the idea with any 'shifting magic' that a transformation becomes easy once it is formed. An illusionist still has to keep his mind on an illusionary disguise and it is to a degree balanced by this. Otherwise an illusionist can become anyone at any time and look like them all day and all night. I feel the same should apply for this, to maintain an animal form should be difficult. If sufficiently distracted the form will be lost.

Otherwise you end up with druidic mice-men playing 'adventure everywhere' without drawbacks.

Not quite Conner. While illusion is a form of the arcane and such needs a mental projection and a connection to the void at the same time, druids do not deal with the void (at least directly). While an illusionist can illusion whatever he wants, with this magic the druid could only change to one animal, and one animal only and could never change to a different one. As such, there are pros and cons to each of the magics: illusionist can create anything, druids only one animal; illusionists don't last very long, druid shapeshifting lasts.

About shamans... I knew they could shapeshift, but only in humanoid form. I have no idea if they can shapeshift into animals. This would be under witchdoctor subtype.

Not quite Conner. While illusion is a form of the arcane and such needs a mental projection and a connection to the void at the same time, druids do not deal with the void (at least directly). While an illusionist can illusion whatever he wants, with this magic the druid could only change to one animal, and one animal only and could never change to a different one. As such, there are pros and cons to each of the magics: illusionist can create anything, druids only one animal; illusionists don't last very long, druid shapeshifting lasts.

About shamans... I knew they could shapeshift, but only in humanoid form. I have no idea if they can shapeshift into animals. This would be under witchdoctor subtype.

Thank you for clearing that up. And I had no idea about it when I posted this... would it interfere, do you think?

We regulate members quite well.  If ANYBODY who joins is looking for magic, they don't become a Druid.  Even before the MAT we have done this.

I don't personally see any issue with a permanent change if the Druid wishes-a Druid may wish to go live in the wild and become a true part of nature, and that's alright within the Druids.  Anyways, so far this is looking tantalizing.

I completely agree with this, but what if they had to be a master shifter. If they were a master shifter it would fully make sure people would not just join to let them be an  animal. Also with a full switch the personality's that Shoi listed should be greatly increased.  

I completely agree with this, but what if they had to be a master shifter. If they were a master shifter it would fully make sure people would not just join to let them be an  animal. Also with a full switch the personality's that Shoi listed should be greatly increased.  

Well, nobody, and I mean nobody will know about shapeshifting IC when they join the Order. If it is done right, nobody besides high-ranking Druids will know at all.