[Academic] The Ministry Of Contemplation

PtahWithin

Ptah nods, and folds his hands together.

"Our experience with the Delvers began when we arranged a meeting with their Regents. We offered our own assistance on collaborating with them to examine and study their various magical artifacts. They agreed, and for a moment I thought, perhaps I have an academic ally in the world. Unfortunately, a moment after they requested the Ministry to hand over all magical or unusual artifacts in our possession to them. I pressed them as to why they would ask this, after denying the request, and eventually they admitted to simply having the desire to hoard the arcane and unique."

"This, coupled with their recent bid for power, saddens me. I thought perhaps the Delvers could be a kindred spirit in academia, but they have revealed themselves to be mere collectors, not contemplators. Would you agree with this assessment?"

Nicodemus raises his brow at the highbrow elf. He leans back in his chair and begins rummaging through his pack producing a few wooden cups and a large bottle of some brew with his name and a picture of sugar cane on it. Listening all the while, he pours himself a drink and pushes the bottle and other cups toward the center of the table. Nico takes a swig and strokes his beard. "Not that the wide dissemination of knowledge is something that Haelun'or cares much for either."

Salazar shifts uncomfortably and takes the bottle of brew and a cup from the center of the table and pours some for himself. He places the bottle and cup back and sits back, stirring the ale around as he thinks and listens. He sips from the cup and speaks, "The Delvers, as Ptah has reiterated, are nothing but spell-happy, greedy treasure hunters, and now an independents state." He drinks from the cup again and continues, "Not to mention that they dared ask us for our items so they could add to their personal vault and their pride." Salazar finishes his cup and places it down. He shifts again, wanting to get back to his books.

Kalenz grunts and nods slowly

"The Delvers are not intelligent, like most lesser beings they simply try to command the arcane and collect valuables, as you have said. Academics is not the domain which they follow often and when they do wish to do something of scientific value it is often in one of the lesser fields such as alchemy. A 'science' for those who can not achieve great feats with the Arcane. There are very few groups who attempt science for any meaningful purpose."

Minecraft Name:

Acornlad

Skype Name (This may alternatively be PMed to be for privacy purposes):

Narlybrah

Applicant Name:

Tahjeet Mubdee

Race and Age:
Southeron Human- 22 

What position are you applying for? (Librarian, Maven, Inventor, Analyst, Phrenal):

Analyst of Erudition.

List any experience you have had with matters regarding that Department:

Current military officer of the Legion of the Cardinal Cross.

Describe the reason for your interest in that position (>5 sentences):

I, Tahjeet Mubdee, am fascinated by the art of war- Its codes, its tactics, its history. I have undertaken the effort of collecting all military tactics currently known to Anthos and past civilizations. I have noticed that war operates on the scale of micro and macro, it is unique. Hundreds of factors go into a battle- terrain, morale, and training are a small few. I simply wish to become an analyst for the Ministry of Contemplation, sharing my knowledge with fellow scholars. 

By applying, should you be accepted you are expected to utterly adhere to the Common Clauses. Do you understand this?:

I understand.

Minecraft Name:

Acornlad

Narlybrah

Applicant Name:

Tahjeet Mubdee

Race and Age:

Southeron Human- 22 

What position are you applying for? (Librarian, Maven, Inventor, Analyst, Phrenal):

Analyst of Erudition.

Current military officer of the Legion of the Cardinal Cross.

I, Tahjeet Mubdee, am fascinated by the art of war- Its codes, its tactics, its history. I have undertaken the effort of collecting all military tactics currently known to Anthos and past civilizations. I have noticed that war operates on the scale of micro and macro, it is unique. Hundreds of factors go into a battle- terrain, morale, and training are a small few. I simply wish to become an analyst for the Ministry of Contemplation, sharing my knowledge with fellow scholars. 

By applying, should you be accepted you are expected to utterly adhere to the Common Clauses. Do you understand this?:

I understand.

To the Human Tahjeet Mubdee,

Your application has been reviewed and you may find a time to meet Preeminent Savant Ptah Remneal within the Cloud Temple Library for a last series of questions to solidify your admittance.

Ptah Remneal nods again at Kalenz's words, and speaks again.

"And that brings us quite nicely to the subject and intrigue which I mean to present to you. Before I begin, do you believe the Ministry of Contemplation is one such group, that genuinely attempts science for a meaningful purpose?"

Kalenz twitches, a light frown appearing on his lips "The ministry strives for knowledge, I will reocgnize that that even if it is filled with lesser beings".

Kalenz' eyes flick across the room at any others present "That though does not mean you can not make meaningful contributions to the body of knowledge".

The Preeminent Savant smiles at that, and holds up a finger as if signalling him to wait. He reaches to his side, and places a large, dusty, aged and beaten tome on the table. He carefully opens it, and turns to the last few pages. He shifts the book so the page can be seen by Kalenz and the others:

"Mr. Uradir, do you know who this is?"

kDg2lIV.png

Slowly Kalenz' eyes turn to the image. For a few moments he stares at it coldly before stating plainly "No".

Nicodemus grits his teeth at the term 'lesser being'. He refills his cup and looks at the image, shrugging. "Who the blazes is it? Some toff Mali mage?" Nico rests his chin on his hand, squinting at the page.

Minecraft Name:

Zilldude

Skype - Zilldude

Applicant Name:

Clavonita Bedevere

Race and Age:

Clavonita is an Adunian-Human girl who lies about the age of twenty-six.

Librarian

Well, Clavonita was the Head Librarian of the Delver's Keep when she was married to Regent Artimec Camoryn. Aside from that, she has spent most of her life reading and researching her theories. She was one of the first explorers of the North and one of the last to have cancelled her expeditions before the Corrupted were released upon the mortal world.

Clavonita has spent most of her life curled up beside a book or contemplating of new ways of thinking. She has always been alone in the world, having only met a few who shared her love for knowledge. With the admission to an academy where she can freely express herself and learn, she would blossom more so than she did for most of her early life. Alongside this, Clavonita has always wanted more knowledge than possible with the current standards of public education. With the admittance into such a prestigious program, Clavonita could aspire to be that which she has always wanted to be.

I do, and to the letter, might I add.

"His name is Saecel, an elf. He is the author of this tome before you."

Ptah carefully closes the book, and brings its cover about-face, gently rubbing off dust from the front.

"It is called, 'The Saecelic Method'. It was written in the year 48. For several weeks I have been working to transcribe the worn text into a new book. Examining its contents, I believe now that Saecel is the originator of the scientific method as we know it. The similarities between the Saecalic and Scientific Methods are far too close to be coincidental. He speaks in this book of observationist realism, repeatable experimentation and - purity of thought. I found this book sandwhiched between two others on a forgotten shelf within the Cloud Temple Library."

"Why precisely would you invite me here to discuss this? A book written in the year 48 may be interesting to look at and ponder, though what value does knowledge that far back in the past bring us, hrmm? One hardly sees why one requires a high elf in order to evaluate the similarities between one scientific method and the other".

Ptah, without a further word, opens the tome again to the second page. He has one of his faculty pick up the book and present it before Kalenz. Across the second page, large letters are written:

For my niece, Larihei.

-Saecel

Charles Napier slides a folder onto the table, titled;

"Adunian Migratory Cultural Developments."

Nomadic tendencies of the Adunian People

Throughout Anthos, the Adunian people fared as a gypsy sort, never truly settling in once place, nor staying put long enough to build any great structures. However, this has had a large impact on the culture. The Adunian will hoard and guard his land as fiercely as a Dragon will guard his treasure. They have been recorded as living in various areas such as the San’Orkan deserts, the Cloudlands, jungles and the Island of the wilds. They choose not to build anything to last, albeit one thing.

The construction of Stone circles has been noted in several areas, a certain sign of Adunian occupation, a Sandstone one in the Deserts, a now rotted one in the jungles*, and one in exceedingly fine condition in the lands of the Wilds. Other then that, there is little trace that the Adunian people were ever there, aside from discarded tools, and various waste objects.

Linking it even further, the Adunians have been migratory since ancient Aegis, starting with the move north after the Godwinson Rebellion, and then the move south once more, and yet once even more with the rise of the Undead and the destruction of Aegis. In Asulon, they were relatively scattered, and did not group together in this time until the construction of Ildon, an Adunian town which soon grew into a large city.

Most curiously, the Adunian will dig himself in, even in a nomadic setting. They value possessions with fervor, and will go at great lengths to keep the items they have, even carting their dead around for burial in the next area of living. This may be a symptom of a cultural ‘False hope’ that developed during the early years of this continent, as they were lead around believing that ‘Yes, this is where we will live’, yet that not being the case.

In conclusion, it is obvious and easy to state that the Adunian people are quite a rapidly adapting culture, going from Highly nomadic to dug in within a few years, the Ildicia and Ildon example. As a personal note, I observe the sheer proximity of the Grewyn castle to these lands, and fear that if the Northern beasts do strike, they will strike hard, and they will drive the Adunians from their lands once more. Until then, further study might be in order.

*Such pillars were only found by the quality of dirt in circular
patterns, a terrifyingly hard thing to determine or observe.