[Event Creatures] Trolls

Trolls!  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Welcome Trolls to LotC?

By some odd magic or accident, when Trolls were created, their Creator forgot to give them the ability to live in the sun! It is a sad mistake, but Trolls have trudged through this and live the night life.

The Creator makes mistakes?

The Creator makes mistakes?

He made Trolls not live in the sun, so yes.

Edit: Also, don't we have troll lore? It was a good read, and I'd love them in, but if we have something with the name "Troll" it would be odd.

I think this idea could work if you limited the player base to under ten players. A small group set about in a large area would be fun to RP with. 

This seems a lot like an olog. Which is a bigger, dumber orc except the large patches of hair and the fear of the sun.

Turning to stone is the most intriguing part of the lore. Surely you could come up with something other than a design flaw that makes them transform in certain light or exposure to UV.

Turning to stone is the most intriguing part of the lore. Surely you could come up with something other than a design flaw that makes them transform in certain light or exposure to UV.

While I was at work, I thought up an idea that coincides nicely with the server's canon lore. It goes along the lines of this - In the early days of the world (think around the time where Iblees was trying to persuade the Four Children to join him), Iblees came to the Trolls to try and recruit them into his army. The Trolls, not wishing to get involved in wars and whatnot, denied him this. In his anger, Iblees cursed the Trolls to be banished to night, and to perish if they met daylight.

How does that sound?

This seems a lot like an olog. Which is a bigger, dumber orc except the large patches of hair and the fear of the sun.

Could I get a link to the Olog lore?

How about... After Iblees' first defeat by the four father's he realised the potential of Krug's might. As he slowly regained energy he used his dark persuasion to try and coax a few of Krug's children to join his cause. Under Iblees' influence their bodies underwent strange transformations and they got much larger, stronger and reflected Iblees' curse more fully than any other orc. The Daemon's calling lead them to a secluded cave where he used his voice for the first time since his banishment. He reasoned with them to do his bidding, as his power over the mind was not yet strong enough to demand loyalty. But honour still flowed strong through the blood of orcs and they denied him. In a rage Iblees spent most of his remaining energy cursing the trolls so that they would never leave the cave, then disappeared back into the Nether. At first the trolls did not believe that Iblees had cursed them, but it only took one being turned to stone for the others to learn of their fate. Yet Iblees' curse was not as powerful as he had anticipated, and under cover of night the trolls were immune.

Or, you know... something like that.

That sounds really good, but Trolls actually are not a sub-race of Orcs, if that is what you were hinting at in there. I think I want to stray away from this being a playable sub-race, because it's such a powerful creature, it could easily be powergamed. It would be best to stick to a small number of people who can roleplay it well, rather than having many who may not roleplay it up to the right standards.

It isn't a sub-race of orcs. Their beginnings were, but you couldn't just be an orc that becomes a troll because Iblees is no longer around to make you into one. You could play it out as either that group of trolls are still around today and are the only living ones (though how they got to Anthos is a bit weird) or they may have bred together so the bloodline of trolls continues.

I didn't suggest it is a sub-race but as the 'birth' of trolls. You couldn't just be a troll.

I put a bit more thought into it. How the heck DID trolls get to Anthos?

Scrap all that. Trolls are a native creature to Anthos. There's all kinds of crazy creatures in this world so let's start it out with that. Then you have the original natives to the land who kept them at bay for centuries, killing any trolls who roamed down from the mountains, so the trolls tended to stay in their caves. A powerful witchdoctor poisoned their water to try and kill them all by turning them to stone (something he regularly did to those he cursed).

But the troll's skin was resistant to the poison because it was so tough. However the sun's light weakened their skin with its UV rays and their bodies developed hideous moles, welts, melanomas and other cancerous spots. It only takes a small amount of sunlight for their malignant bodies to become infected with cancer, which reduces their immune system and the witchdoctor's curse takes affect.

So now you have trolls who are native to Anthos [tick]

Turn into stone in the sun [tick] because of an old witchdoctor's curse.

But they have a brief window to escape the morning light and get into a cave [tick for player's not turning to stone because they forget how much night is left and can run home]

I put a bit more thought into it. How the heck DID trolls get to Anthos?

Scrap all that. Trolls are a native creature to Anthos. There's all kinds of crazy creatures in this world so let's start it out with that. Then you have the original natives to the land who kept them at bay for centuries, killing any trolls who roamed down from the mountains, so the trolls tended to stay in their caves. A powerful witchdoctor poisoned their water to try and kill them all by turning them to stone (something he regularly did to those he cursed).

But the troll's skin was resistant to the poison because it was so tough. However the sun's light weakened their skin with its UV rays and their bodies developed hideous moles, welts, melanomas and other cancerous spots. It only takes a small amount of sunlight for their malignant bodies to become infected with cancer, which reduces their immune system and the witchdoctor's curse takes affect.

So now you have trolls who are native to Anthos [tick]

Turn into stone in the sun [tick] because of an old witchdoctor's curse.

But they have a brief window to escape the morning light and get into a cave [tick for player's not turning to stone because they forget how much night is left and can run home]

I'm really liking this, Elindor. Working on adapting it to the current lore right now, I'll give you credit in the OP. :)

I am especially fond of trolls as a sun safety message

Sid%20the%20seagull.gif